PDA

View Full Version : Who do you guys root for in SA?

florige
07-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Texas Rangers?

SrA Husker
07-01-2007, 09:50 PM
See signature.

Melmart1
07-01-2007, 10:22 PM
I am a diehard Rangers fan but most people in SA I know that actually like baseball (which is very few) root for the Astros.

FromWayDowntown
07-01-2007, 10:48 PM
I've revealed myself as an Orioles fan. I was born in Baltimore and the vast majority of my family lives in Maryland, so it's not some random thing -- though I'm not sure why anyone distant from Baltimore would randomly select to root for the Orioles these days.

K-State Spur
07-01-2007, 11:05 PM
i grew up in DC during the ripken years, so that's my explanation.

ATRAIN
07-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Im not in SA (AUstin) and I am diehard Astros.

Horry For 3!
07-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Tha Stros

florige
07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
I've revealed myself as an Orioles fan. I was born in Baltimore and the vast majority of my family lives in Maryland, so it's not some random thing -- though I'm not sure why anyone distant from Baltimore would randomly select to root for the Orioles these days.

At least you guys in SA got the Spurs. The region tries to make us share the Wizards. I think we are a big enough market for Baltimore to have an NBA team. It took us almost a decade just to get the freakin Ravens!

FromWayDowntown
07-02-2007, 01:53 PM
At least you guys in SA got the Spurs. The region tries to make us share the Wizards. I think we are a big enough market for Baltimore to have an NBA team. It took us almost a decade just to get the freakin Ravens!

I think that part of the problem is that Baltimore is frequently counted as part of the DC market and vice-versa. It's wrong to do that, but I think that assumption is made quite regularly.

With the NFL, it was easier for a team to come back to Baltimore, given the long historical legacy that the Colts created there. The Wizards, when they were the Bullets, were originally in Baltimore too. I thought that the move to Landover was intended to make them more of a Beltway draw, but Landover was so much closer to DC than to Baltimore, I think they just became DC's team.

I don't think, however, that you're going to find too many sympathetic ears in San Antonio about either having to wait 10 years to get a 2nd NFL team or about not having enough major sports teams in your community.

SAtoDallas
07-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Growing up in SA most people I knew and myself included followed the Astros. Hell I live in Dallas and it's still hard for me to follow the Rangers.

djohn14
07-02-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm not in Texas. I'm in Missouri, but I just wanted to share my openion. GO LOS BRAVOS. I also like STL. In football, #1 is St. Louis Rams, then the Ravens, Saints, and Falcons.

florige
07-02-2007, 03:16 PM
I think that part of the problem is that Baltimore is frequently counted as part of the DC market and vice-versa. It's wrong to do that, but I think that assumption is made quite regularly.

With the NFL, it was easier for a team to come back to Baltimore, given the long historical legacy that the Colts created there. The Wizards, when they were the Bullets, were originally in Baltimore too. I thought that the move to Landover was intended to make them more of a Beltway draw, but Landover was so much closer to DC than to Baltimore, I think they just became DC's team.

I don't think, however, that you're going to find too many sympathetic ears in San Antonio about either having to wait 10 years to get a 2nd NFL team or about not having enough major sports teams in your community.

Yeah you are right about that. I mean but when you really think about it the NFL didn't have anything to do with us getting the Ravens. If it were up to them we would still be teamless. Art Modell was the one who brought the NFL back to Baltimore. Look how fast the city of Cleveland got the Browns RIGHT back after they moved to Baltimore. What was it like 2 seasons? Look at DC. They managed to give them ANOTHER baseball team dispite the fact that they didn't even have concrete plans on getting a new stadium built. The attendance at Nats games already sucks and they just got baseball back there not even 3 years ago. We sell out darn near every Ravens games. Even when the team is playing like crap. The O's attendance have been down the past years, but thats a given when you have a 10 year losing record. It's funny because this was probably just a rumor, but a while back before the Spurs started winning all the titles, there were rumors floating around that the Spurs might be moving to Baltimore. Those were just local rumors though. Actually I heard the Spurs, and the Rockets. I just can't bring myself to root for the Wizards. Close to Baltimore or not. Hell even if we did happen to land a team I would find it hard to ever root against SA. When the Ravens and Giants played each other in the SB everyone here was asking me who was I rooting for since the Giants are the team I intially rooted for before we got the Ravens. I told them that it was a win-win for me. I have tons of fun when I go to Fed-Ex field when the Giants and the Skins play each other. Redskins fans stay giving me hell when I have on my Jeremy Shockey jersey. :lol

FromWayDowntown
07-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Do you live in Baltimore proper florige, or do you live in a suburban area? I have some family that live in Catonsville, but the rest of my crew is actually in western Maryland, in Hagerstown.

Silver21_Black20
07-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Braves. Been watching them for years.

FromWayDowntown
07-02-2007, 04:51 PM
I suspect that San Antonio has a lot of Cubs and Braves fans among its life-long residents who are now 30-somethings. In the early days of cable TV, there were long summers in SA with only Harry Caray and Steve Stone and the Braves' crew calling games available to us. I have plenty of childhood friends who have become die-hard Cubs fans because of WGN.

timvp
07-02-2007, 05:34 PM
http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/expos1.jpg

:depressed

T Park
07-02-2007, 05:40 PM
See signature

my family grew up and alot of them still live in a small town outside st louis.

We go back there usually end of may to Bush Stadium, but havent been to the new one yet.

Also always go to the Cardinals Astros series thats near the beginning of April.

florige
07-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Do you live in Baltimore proper florige, or do you live in a suburban area? I have some family that live in Catonsville, but the rest of my crew is actually in western Maryland, in Hagerstown.

Yep born and raised. I live about, lets see I don't know 10-15 minutes from the stadiums. Catonsville isn't anywhere from me. Hagerstown is about 30-45 minutes north of me. Hey why am I giving you a geography lesson, you are from here. :lol So do you follow the Ravens, or the Big D?

florige
07-02-2007, 10:11 PM
See signature

my family grew up and alot of them still live in a small town outside st louis.

We go back there usually end of may to Bush Stadium, but havent been to the new one yet.

Also always go to the Cardinals Astros series thats near the beginning of April.

Damn dude you are two for two with Championships then. Well Sorta... Cards last year Spurs this year.

Melmart1
07-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Wait... does this make FWD a.... Redskins fan?!?!?!?!

I will have to lose some respect for him if this is so.

ATRAIN
07-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Braves. Been watching them for years.

Love your picture on your signature.

ATRAIN
07-03-2007, 09:24 AM
i'm shocked there are no yankee fans. Man I hate the yanks!!

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-04-2007, 01:53 AM
i'm shocked there are no yankee fans. Man I hate the yanks!!

Born in NY. I'm a Yankee fan.

Everybody seems to hate the Yankees. It's a big popular bandwagon.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-04-2007, 01:54 AM
http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/expos1.jpg

:depressed

I miss watching the Expos as well. I remember watching Pedro back when he pictched for them. He was pretty badass. Great to watch.

T Park
07-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Damn dude you are two for two with Championships then. Well Sorta... Cards last year Spurs this year.

Yeah, its been a fantastic time so far.

Last time its been this great was 99 2000 when teh Rams and Cardinals won championships consecutively.

Yeah the Cardinals one meant alot, cause its the first time I had witnessed them winning a championship, and baseball was my first sport i had loved before basketball, and its my co favorite sport with basketball honestly.

So yeah ,its been a fantastic 9 months :)

Soul_Patch
07-12-2007, 02:33 PM
I wish San Antonio would get a pro baseball club.

CubanMustGo
07-12-2007, 11:22 PM
SA can hardly support the Missions. They will never land a MLB franchise.

T Park
07-13-2007, 02:32 AM
if the Missions had a domed air conditioned field they would support em better.

Who the fuck wants to watch AA talent on a field at noon when its 99.

Come on use common sense.

KEDA
07-13-2007, 07:09 AM
http://img.webring.com/r/r/redsox/logo

since 1985

tlongII
07-13-2007, 08:39 AM
SA should support the Mariners since the Missions are their farm club.

CubanMustGo
07-13-2007, 09:01 AM

Doesn't stop the people in Austin from supporting the minor league team there (used to be AA, did so well that the owners went out and upgraded to AAA) or the people in Frisco from supporting their TL team.

You want a major franchise, you gotta support what's there first. Use some common sense.

Jimcs50
07-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Astros and Red Sox

Melmart1
07-13-2007, 09:22 AM
SA should support the Mariners since the Missions are their farm club.
Ummmm ... The missions are the PADRES' farm club, thanks. Fuck the Mariners.

tlongII
07-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Ummmm ... The missions are the PADRES' farm club, thanks. Fuck the Mariners.

Yeah, I didn't realize they changed from the M's last fall. Root for the Padres then.

Soul_Patch
07-13-2007, 11:39 AM

exactly.

Slinkyman
07-13-2007, 06:11 PM
http://www.spiritwatch.org/chicago_cubs_logo.jpg