PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Jones Cup: Defending Champs U.S.A. lost to the Philippines

milkyway21
07-02-2007, 06:56 AM
how come?

I was shocked but of course excited we can actually beat your team guys.:D

Even if our center Asi Taulava sucked from the FT line. We were so poor in the rebouding dept but managed to win against team U.S.A.

But how come ? Did you send a good team?

Who is that player Sloan from Texas? Is he related to Coach Sloan of Utah Jazz?

Still, I think your Team USA still is the favorite to win the tournament. The last time we won was yr 1998 and I don't know if we can pull on this one when our 2 best scorers Seigle & Dela Cruz were injured and chose to stay in the Phils. I'm just glad we steal a game from you even if our players only started to practice few months ago after we were re-instated by FIBA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Jones_Cup#William_Jones_Cup_Champions

bdictjames
07-03-2007, 08:51 AM
America pretty much sent sucky players, unknowns if you will.

Philippines should have the first Filipino drafted ever in '08. Country plays and spends big money on basketball, so why not.

DarkReign
07-03-2007, 09:02 AM
I never heard of this tournament....

milkyway21
07-03-2007, 08:43 PM
I never heard of this tournament....

It might not be that important to the U.S. you usually send young players, this time players from the NCAA* but this tournament is actually important for us, a warm up before our RP Team squad will play in the Asian Pre-Olympic qualifying in Japan later this month.
Next to US, the Philippines is the country with the most Jones Cup titles (3) since the tournament's inception in 1977. The Philippines won the Cup in 1981, 1985, and 1998. The only other multiple title holder is Chinese Taipei, which won in 2001 and 2004.

A lot of teams participating here are also vying for a spot for the 2008 Olympics such as Korea, Lebanon, RP, China, Syria, and Japan.

Japan & US teams are not representing their teams in the Olympics though.

DarkReign
07-04-2007, 12:16 PM
It might not be that important to the U.S. you usually send young players, this time players from the NCAA* but this tournament is actually important for us, a warm up before our RP Team squad will play in the Asian Pre-Olympic qualifying in Japan later this month.
Next to US, the Philippines is the country with the most Jones Cup titles (3) since the tournament's inception in 1977. The Philippines won the Cup in 1981, 1985, and 1998. The only other multiple title holder is Chinese Taipei, which won in 2001 and 2004.

A lot of teams participating here are also vying for a spot for the 2008 Olympics such as Korea, Lebanon, RP, China, Syria, and Japan.

Japan & US teams are not representing their teams in the Olympics though.

Ah! Thanks for the explanation.

carina_gino20
07-05-2007, 03:06 AM
Eh, the last few seconds yesterday were just as I predicted. Game tied after Japan shoots a triple, a steal by Japan and a buzzer-beating layup. Sort of like the Manu turnover to Kevin Martin layup against Sacto '06, minus the threat of Tim Duncan.

milkyway21
07-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Eh, the last few seconds yesterday were just as I predicted. Game tied after Japan shoots a triple, a steal by Japan and a buzzer-beating layup. Sort of like the Manu turnover to Kevin Martin layup against Sacto '06, minus the threat of Tim Duncan.

you mean you predicted we lose the game or that Japan are better than us? :)
Because both our losses(Japan and Jordan), we were ahead as much as 11 pts through the 4th Q. And never trailed until the last min of the game and lost. I think we had a lapse on defense there.

BTW, I lost count on how many trips those players from Jordan made to the FT line. The refs had a blast with their whistles thoughout the game :lol

I'm glad we won against Korea. That 7'3" center giant Ha looked so intimidating in the middle but Asi did a great job containing him.

onchie dela cruz
07-06-2007, 02:16 AM
do you think the philippines is the no.1 team in asia?

jbspurs
07-06-2007, 02:49 AM
China is the powerhouse in Asia. We are not even in the top three no more. But, hopefully will get it back soon!

By the way, The Norwood guy is pretty good!

onchie dela cruz
07-06-2007, 03:43 AM
does he really have Filipino blood? He's not that good. He's thin, and can't shoot consistenty. James Yap plays better, but he's not getting minutes. what's up with coach chot "know it all" reyes? Jaworski should be the coach

jbspurs
07-06-2007, 10:54 AM
does he really have Filipino blood? He's not that good. He's thin, and can't shoot consistenty. James Yap plays better, but he's not getting minutes. what's up with coach chot "know it all" reyes? Jaworski should be the coach

I'm pretty sure He does. Not good? I don't think He'll be a member of US NCAA if He's not good. May be not playing to his standard yet! I'ved seen quickness, good ballhandling, and some good moves getting to the basket. I say good addition to the team.

by the way, Onchie Dela Cruz? di ba isa yun sa mga tirador sa PBA nung araw?lol

milkyway21
07-06-2007, 08:54 PM
does he really have Filipino blood? He's not that good. He's thin, and can't shoot consistenty. James Yap plays better, but he's not getting minutes. what's up with coach chot "know it all" reyes? Jaworski should be the coachJaworski? Maybe. But I have someone in mind-Norman Black. He once played in Detroit. He'd be a nice addition as one of the assistants.

milkyway21
07-06-2007, 08:58 PM
do you think the philippines is the no.1 team in asia?

This RP team squad is just a NEW team. It's not even the final selection yet. The players are still trying here to be included in the roster for Japan.

NO, Team Pilipinas is not the best team or # 1 in Asia right now. Not yet. :)

milkyway21
07-06-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm pretty sure He does. Not good? I don't think He'll be a member of US NCAA if He's not good. May be not playing to his standard yet! I'ved seen quickness, good ballhandling, and some good moves getting to the basket. I say good addition to the team.

by the way, Onchie Dela Cruz? di ba isa yun sa mga tirador sa PBA nung araw?lolI agree with you this Norwood is good.

Norwood suiting up for Nationals

By NELSON BELTRAN

The Philippine Star

Fil-Am player Gabe Norwood has confirmed his participation with the SMC-RP team starting with its forth-coming training stint in Belgrade, Serbia and all the way to the FIBA-Asia Olympic qualifying tourney in Tokushima, Japan in July.

RP team assistant coach Aboy Castro said Norwood will first attend the Utah Jazz tryout this week then either joins the RP team in a few practice sessions here or flies straight to Belgrade.

"The team is leaving for Belgrade Sunday or Monday. Norwood, meanwhile, is committed to join us on or before June 15," said Castro, the one in constant communication with the former George Mason U Patriot.

"Even if he makes the grade at Utah, he’s committed to play for us. Even the NBA stars are playing in the FIBA-America Olympic qualifier since the next NBA season won’t open until November," said Castro.

Norwood, at 6-foot-5, is said to be a versatile player able to play either guard position and at small forward.

He started in three contests and led the Patriots in bench scoring as they made the 2006 NCAA Final Four, losing to eventual champion the Florida Gators.

Norwood, 22, who’s maternal grandfather is a Filipino, suited up with the RP team in a game in their recent US training. The RP team is now working on Norwood’s Filipino passport which is the requirement for the FIBA-Asia championship.

The 22-year-old mascom graduate is keen on joining the Belgrade trip where the Nationals are set to play five Serbian league division I teams. They may encounter some members of the Serbian & Montenegro team which ruled the 2002 world championships.

The George Mason Patriots website says Norwood "is an intelligent athlete with an excellent feel for the game, distributes the ball well and has good court vision."

He had an outstanding two-year varsity career at State College Area High School for coach Drew Franks. He received Class AAAA 2003 most outstanding player and top offensive player honors in the Mountain League, named first-team All-League as a senior and second-team All-League as a junior.

His father Brian played four years of collegiate football for the University of Hawaii

onchie dela cruz
07-07-2007, 10:12 AM
utah jazz? lol. no way. he's not even hitting 20 pts a game in the jones cup. maybe he can try out with the CBA or USBL. his spot should be given to Yap

jbspurs
07-07-2007, 10:57 AM
IMO, I'll take Norwood over Yap.

onchie dela cruz
07-07-2007, 08:06 PM
iran vs Rp: Rp won by 10. Yap was the leading scorer. Norwood, was again lackluster. Sorry, but he's not proving the hype.

onchie dela cruz
07-08-2007, 04:25 AM
By the way, the US team that's getting its ass kicked, has an ex-nba player with them. Reed Rawlings. Oh well...

wolf888
07-08-2007, 06:34 AM
norwood is not that good if you base it on performance he has shown so far in the 2007 jones cup. ill pick yap over him. i think he is still not that mature as a player. he tends to showboat that causes turn-overs sometimes.

onchie dela cruz
07-08-2007, 09:18 PM
i agree wolf888. Yap yas been more efficient in his limited minutes.

milkyway21
07-09-2007, 08:35 PM
today is the last day of the 29th Jones Cup.

what are our chanches so far? Jordan is leading right?

onchie dela cruz
07-09-2007, 10:22 PM
At best, Philippines may finish third, but, I think the Philippines will qualify to the Olympics. What do you think Milky?

carina_gino20
07-09-2007, 11:34 PM
you mean you predicted we lose the game or that Japan are better than us? :)

nah. i didn't predict the loss at first. But then they unraveled in the 4th. So when Japan got within 3, I thought they were capable to tie it. Then when they did, I predicted the steal and lay-up and it was eerie when it did happen. :lol

anyway, even though I haven't been really interested in Philippine basketball for some time now, I really hope they get their game together and qualify for the Olympics. It would be nice to root for my own country this time. :smokin

milkyway21
07-10-2007, 12:19 AM
nah. i didn't predict the loss at first. But then they unraveled in the 4th. So when Japan got within 3, I thought they were capable to tie it. Then when they did, I predicted the steal and lay-up and it was eerie when it did happen. :lol

anyway, even though I haven't been really interested in Philippine basketball for some time now, I really hope they get their game together and qualify for the Olympics. It would be nice to root for my own country this time. :smokinthose losses against Lebanon and Japan(their only win), were so disappointing. We were ahead and lost the game in the last seconds. Ove-confidence bec we were ahead by double digits.

well so far the team were doing a little better. They won against Korea, Chinese Taipeh. And Qatar, yesterday. 3rd overall in the standings after Jordan & U.S. One more game today against Kazakhstan.

I'm only hoping they get a lot better in this tournament, win or lose. The goal is the FIBA-Asia.

milkyway21
07-11-2007, 08:45 PM
At best, Philippines may finish third, but, I think the Philippines will qualify to the Olympics. What do you think Milky?sorry it took me 2 days to read your Q:D

Qualify in the Olympics? Hard to predict. We practically have 3 players injured right now--
Seigle, Dela Cruz and Yap.

Maybe if we won't face the Kasazhs in Japan?:lol Those team is giving RP team a headache I don't know why . We're practically 0-4 against them.:cry
If we had beaten them we wound up 2nd in the tournament.

BTW, I didn't expect those players were blondes I thought the players from Kazakshtan looked like

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0443453/th-0744.jpg
Borat :lmao
I even remember asking myself when I saw them entering the arena "who are these people?" I didn't watch their previous games and other games besides the RP & US teams, that's why.

Team Pilipinas finished 3rd behind champion Jordan (7-2) and Lebanon (6-3),
They wound up in a 5-way tie with Athletes In Action(USA), Iran, Korea and Chinese Taipei at 5-4 but booked third because of the highest quotient and having beaten all four teams.

onchie dela cruz
07-11-2007, 10:28 PM
If the Philippines don't make the Olympics, it'll just have to try again. It can't quit, Filipinos love basketball

milkyway21
07-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Filipinos love basketball..They love to re-claim the throne we once had in Asia during the Caloy Loyzaga days...& won the bronze in the Worlds :D