PDA

View Full Version : new laws for Texas

Viva Las Espuelas
07-02-2007, 11:47 AM
I tried to Google this, but I can't find the laws that went into effect Sunday July 1st. I just want to see if the Cell phone ban in cars is true. I thought it went into effect this past january, but that turned out to be false. Can anyone assist?

Yonivore
07-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I tried to Google this, but I can't find the laws that went into effect Sunday July 1st. I just want to see if the Cell phone ban in cars is true. I thought it went into effect this past january, but that turned out to be false. Can anyone assist?
Can't help you there but, as a person that has nearly been run over -- numerous times -- by idiots talking on their cell phones, I hope it is against the law now.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-02-2007, 11:58 AM
it's ridiculous. 4 out of every 5 cars I see, the driver has a damn phone glue to their ear. I'm talking about the actual phone. I don't care about the ones using hands free. I just wanna run them off the road. Almost everyone I see getting into their car HAS to get on the phone at the same time. If you do this, please bang your head against the nearest brick wall..............hard. preferably a corner.

Hook Dem
07-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Unfortunately, there is an e-mail circulating that it became a law sunday that using a cell phone while driving was illegal. Texas currently has no such law and there are no immediate plans to have one. Someone sent that out as Texas law when it was actually enacted for California.

Yonivore
07-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Unfortunately, there is an e-mail circulating that it became a law sunday that using a cell phone while driving was illegal. Texas currently has no such law and there are no immediate plans to have one. Someone sent that out as Texas law when it was actually enacted for California.
Well, we can hope they're stupid enough to believe it applies to Texas.

xrayzebra
07-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Well, we can hope they're stupid enough to believe it applies to Texas.

Got to disagree with you, but we have enough laws on the
book. If someone has an accident while talking on the phone
and injures you, sue them. The same with someone
drinking a coke, reading a book, putting on make-up,
fiddling with the radio/cd player/tape player or any other
thing that distracts them.

I agree with the premise, that since the advent of mobile
phones, many as soon as they get in the car seem
unable to function without calling someone seems the
dumbest thing I have seen, but no more than paying
a buck for a bottle of water that cost 2 cents and then
bitching about the price of gasoline.

We have enough laws now that would choke a horse and
people keep wanting more. Hell, it would be nice if they
would just enforce some our laws that really matter.

BeerIsGood!
07-03-2007, 01:50 AM
it's ridiculous. 4 out of every 5 cars I see, the driver has a damn phone glue to their ear. I'm talking about the actual phone. I don't care about the ones using hands free. I just wanna run them off the road. Almost everyone I see getting into their car HAS to get on the phone at the same time. If you do this, please bang your head against the nearest brick wall..............hard. preferably a corner.

Do you think it's the act of holding a phone to their head or being distracted by a conversation that makes it dangerous? I think phone conversation itself leads to distracted drivers running people over, and that actually holding the phone makes little to no difference. Hands free kits don't prevent people from being distracted, and they still have to look down to dial a number or locate a phone book entry.

Yonivore
07-04-2007, 01:40 PM
inattention blindness Corso

Corso says laws in Texas don't become effective on July 1, ever Corso!

so if any corsos out there ever get an e-mail from another corso saying a law became effective on July 1, that's a lie Corso!
Actually, that's false. Some laws may become effective immediately upon signing by the Governor...which, incidentallly, could be on July 1.

Yonivore
07-04-2007, 01:57 PM
wrong

08.27.07 Date that bills without specific effective dates become law

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/legislature/index.html
Okay, partially.

Yonivore
07-04-2007, 02:04 PM
they usually take effect sept 1 because it's the beginning of the fiscal year
I understand but, some legislation requires no funding -- particularly criminal statutes -- and, therefore, can be enacted sooner, on a specific date.

Yonivore
07-04-2007, 02:33 PM
they usually say effective immediately then

no reason to have it start july 1
You're just being an argumentative butthead. I've actually been involved in the implementation of legislation that became effective on July 1. And, here's an example of something that was amended by legislation on July 1:

AGRICULTURE CODE

SUBTITLE E. LIENS ON ANIMAL PRODUCTS

CHAPTER 188. LIENS FOR ANIMAL FEED

SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS
Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 197, § 2, eff. Sept. 1[0], 1995.
Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 414, § 2.06, eff. July[0] 1[0],
there may be no reason to make law effective on July 1 but, it happens...probably more than you think since the last day of signing is June 17, as you pointed out.

Something about the neatness of making something effective at the beginning of the month, I guess.

George W Bush
07-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I run Texas, what I say goes.

..... okay, what was I just talkin' about again?

scott
07-04-2007, 07:11 PM
From http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/

Alert to the Public
False information has been circulating regarding new traffic laws. There are no new traffic laws going into effect in July. More specifically, there are no new laws going into effect in July related to cell phones, seat belts or carpooling. No cell phone bills were passed this Legislative session. (This misinformation started as the result of an inaccurate e-mail and incorrect information on various Web sites.) DPS has not compiled a list of new traffic laws going into effect in September at this time.