PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV or dishnetwork?

fatsack
07-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Seriously.. fuck time warner and a $170/mo cable bill.

i get all the HD channels plus 2 premium movie channels (HBO. showtime), HD DVR + Roadrunner for $170/ mo. No phone service.

i just priced a comparable package over at directtv and it was about 80/mo ( internet access not included)
dishnetwork was about $85, with NFL network.

does anyone (kori) have experience with the dish(es) and which you would recommend?

sro.

T Park
07-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Directv.

By far and away.

Don't even consider Dishnetwork.

Shelly
07-02-2007, 06:58 PM
We just switched from TWC to Dish/DSL/phone package. We're paying about the same for what we were for cable/RR/and regular phone service. Now we get ALL the movies channels, plus NFL Network, DVR and have two HD tuners. Only complaints is when the weather is really bad, the signal goes out.

I've heard people complain about Direct tv also, so YMMV.

fatsack
07-02-2007, 07:04 PM
We just switched from TWC to Dish/DSL/phone package. We're paying about the same for what we were for cable/RR/and regular phone service. Now we get ALL the movies channels, plus NFL Network, DVR and have two HD tuners. Only complaints is when the weather is really bad, the signal goes out.

I've heard people complain about Direct tv also, so YMMV.

if you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay a month for dish/dsl/ phone service?

you're welcome to PM me if you prefer.

Kori Ellis
07-02-2007, 07:07 PM
I have had DirecTV for seven years or something and I love it.

Best part - NFL SUNDAY TICKET!

Shelly
07-02-2007, 07:15 PM
if you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay a month for dish/dsl/ phone service?

Sent ya a pm

shelshor
07-02-2007, 07:21 PM
I have had Directv for 15 years and love it, except for the signal going out when it rains really hard, or snow builds up more than about 3/4 inch

SpursWoman
07-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Wow ... what a coincidence. I was going to start the same exact thread. I spent a long time on the phone with at&t and was going to discuss with my DH if we wanted to do it or not.

The price is about the same .. but our RR wireless totally sucks, and at&t has DSL Elite. I was going to see if anyone has any good opinions on their services. We have all-Time Warner now. And I just had to pay my bill. :fro :lol

SpursWoman
07-02-2007, 07:41 PM

This is the quote I got on the phone today:

at&t regular phone service (minimal to no long distance)
DSL Elite (dl up to 6mb)
Dish everything pack (250 channels + all movies channels, sports, whatever)

Comes with 2 HD receivers (1 with DVR) and 2 regular receivers
Internet for 4 computers (modem/router)

approximately $165.00/mo after taxes

Installation charges:

$49.99 for dish activation (due when you schedule installation)
$79.99 for the internet equipment (shows up on 1st or 2nd bill)
$3.95 to switch phone from TW (billed later)
$12.95 shipping on internet equipment (billed later)

Specials for getting all 3 at one time:

$15/mo bill credit for 10 months ($150.00)
Return the form that comes with the modem, get 1 to 5 checks totalling $225.00 (actual check to cash)
$49.99 mail in rebate for the activation

I spent about an hour on the phone with this guy ... I felt bad that I had to tell him I'd have to discuss it and call back later. Although, I did tell him I'd be happy to switch my cell phones too if they'd pay the $400 to get me out of Sprint. :oops :lol

TheSanityAnnex
07-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Best part - NFL SUNDAY TICKET!Bingo.

And I heard after this year the contract will be up so the NFL will probably be offering the package for both cable and sattellite customers.

timvp
07-02-2007, 08:12 PM
And I heard after this year the contract will be up so the NFL will probably be offering the package for both cable and sattellite customers.

You sure about that? Unless something changed recently, Directv has that contract until at least 2010.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-02-2007, 08:12 PM
NFL ST contract with DirecTV expires in 2010.

Kori Ellis
07-02-2007, 08:15 PM
True - they signed an extension in 2004 for exclusive rights through the 2010 season.

timvp
07-02-2007, 08:18 PM
We have cable upstairs and Directv downstairs.

Both kinda suck. Our Directv goes out whenever it rains and constantly needs to be rebooted or else the signal fades. Our cable at least doesn't go out that often, but the ondemand stuff doesn't work sometimes and that can be annoying.

Both of their customer services are lacking. I've never had dishnetwork but supposedly it's a cheaper version of Directv with even worse customer service.

NorCal510
07-02-2007, 08:19 PM
DirectTV

NFL Network, FuelTV, Sunday Ticket...

Oh, I have a problem with mine.

My remote for the TV requires two. One to turn it on and channels, and one for volume. How can I put them into one? I am lazy to read a manual.

Man Sauce
07-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Last Tuesday I just switched from Time Warner to AT&T Dish and love it. I was paying 126.00 for Road Runner and a DVR with only about 100 or so channels with no premiums channels also I was only getting those channels on one television the other two were basic cable. Now I got a dual dvr, 250 channels (on all three televisions and HBO free for 3 months) and DSL. All for the price of 83.00 for the first 10 months then it goes up to 93.00 and never changes. Dish costs me 68.00 and DSL 24.99 (you get DSL free for 3 months for switching from cable to DSL). I got it when it started raining real bad and when we had all that lightning and did not have any trouble with it at all never lost any signal. My DSL connection is great actually I think its faster than the my Road Runner connection. I have a direct connection not like Road Runner where you have to share with the whole neighborhood no lag whatsoever when I play Xbox live. The best thing is that their prices are not good for only one year they are good for as long as you own it. I was skeptical to try it but I did after asking alot of people and well I don't regret it.

Shelly
07-02-2007, 09:36 PM
FYI, the people who installed our Dish Network said NOT to call Dish for service and to call them instead. Dish will charge you while the installation company will not.

SequSpur
07-02-2007, 09:41 PM
direct tv is da shit....

Man Sauce
07-02-2007, 09:45 PM
FYI, the people who installed our Dish Network said NOT to call Dish for service and to call them instead. Dish will charge you while the installation company will not.
We were told the same thing because its a hit on their record but for example he said if they want to charge you 100.00 calling them directly he might charge about 25.00 if its a repair.

SpursWoman
07-02-2007, 09:53 PM
If you're equipment is broken or having technical difficulties, and you're basically renting it from them, they charge you to fix it? :wtf

Shelly
07-02-2007, 09:53 PM
We were told the same thing because its a hit on their record but for example he said if they want to charge you 100.00 calling them directly he might charge about 25.00 if its a repair.

Did they put their stickers on everything? I've got them all over the place! I also ended up with a 3rd remote.

SequSpur
07-02-2007, 10:05 PM
dish network is for WIC people...

get the real shit andgo with directtv...