PDA

View Full Version : The Bulls feature equal-opportunity benchings

LilMissSPURfect
12-07-2004, 12:58 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-041206bullsgamer,1,3171337.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Spurs 91, Bulls 75

3 starters benched early in Bulls loss

E-mail this story

Printer-friendly format
Search archives

More Coverage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fellow Argentines make time for meal
Dec 6, 2004

Box score

More Headlines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bulls find pluses in facing Spurs

Horrid 2nd half ruins Bulls' start

O'Neal dishes up defeat

Shaq offers biggest test for Bulls' duo

View from a Bulls Fan

Buy Bulls gear at the ChicagoSports.com Store.

Ads by Google
San Antonio Spurs Tix
Great selection of Spurs Tickets available in all seat locations
www.selectaticket.com

San Antonio Spurs Tickets
All San Antonio Spurs Games Fast, easy & secure ordering.
http://www.alamotickets.com

San Antonio Spurs Tickets
Popular site for San Antonio Spurs Order online or call 888-633-6657
www.Spurs-Tix.com

The San Antonio Spurs
Check the schedule & buy tickets to the San Antonio Spurs games! aff.
TicketsNow2.com

San Antonio Spurs Gear
Free shipping! Huge selection. Easy online ordering. Amazon affiliate.
www.amazon.com

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

December 6, 2004, 11:36 PM CST

Good teams, like the San Antonio Spurs, feature equal-opportunity scoring.

The Bulls feature equal-opportunity benchings.

On a Monday night when Tim Duncan looked more ordinary than dominant, the Bulls were still blown out in a 91-75 loss to the Spurs at the United Center.

Coach Scott Skiles benched starters Kirk Hinrich, Luol Deng and Eddy Curry for most of the first half, prompting Curry to say afterward that he planned to talk with Skiles about his role in the near future.

"He puts a lot of pressure on himself, so he doesn't need another player questioning his authority," Curry said. "But everything eventually comes to a head. You have to talk it out."

Curry played only 13 minutes overall, which couldn't have helped his trade prospects on a night when Golden State sent a scout to watch him.

One sequence best explained Curry's lack of playing time.

The Bulls were within 43-38 in the third quarter when Curry failed to grab defensive rebounds on back-to-back shots, one a missed free throw. This led to a three-point Spurs possession, and before long, the Spurs led by 15.

Curry finished with six points and one rebound. Asked if Curry needed to rebound better, Skiles was ready.

"It'd be nice," Skiles said.

Curry said: "I don't know what to say. I don't want to say anything wrong. I played a bad game."

The Bulls' starting backcourt of Hinrich and Chris Duhon didn't produce a point until the 5-minute 37-second mark of the third quarter when Hinrich sank a jumper.

"I don't think anybody in the first unit played particularly well," Hinrich said.

Hinrich's scant 21 minutes opened the door for Frank Williams, not Ben Gordon, who played only four minutes and missed both shots.

"I didn't think Ben was up to it tonight," Skiles said.

Gordon said: "I don't really get surprised by anything."

Tyson Chandler led the Bulls with 17 points and 12 rebounds, his third double-double in four games. Deng rebounded from his first-half benching to score 13.

Tony Parker's 17 points led five Spurs in double figures. Duncan added 12 points and 11 rebounds on just 4-for-12 shooting.

The blowout began early.

Seven seconds after tipoff, almost faster than it takes to say Rasho Nesterovic, Manu Ginobili scored on a layup. Twelve seconds later, Deng committed a turnover on the Bulls' first possession.

The Spurs opened with a 17-2 run as Parker scored 10. In that span the Bulls went 1-for-8 with three turnovers. Out came Curry, Deng and Hinrich—for the rest of the half.

"I was trying not to let it be 50-2," Skiles said.

Curry sat for the final 18:59. Deng and Hinrich sat for 18:06. In came seldom-used players like Williams, Othella Harrington and Eric Piatkowski, who finished with 11 points.

"There are no positives in a game like this," Skiles said

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant