PDA

View Full Version : Sam Smith Article on Manu

Gooshie
12-07-2004, 01:44 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-041206smith,1,4793532.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Ginobili shows global appeal

December 6, 2004

Forget Shaq and Kobe. What's the big deal? We saw them. They're just guys with three NBA championships.

Monday night, Chicago got a look at arguably the most exciting and successful player in the NBA, the Spurs' Manu Ginobili. Not the best player, certainly, but perhaps the one you'd most like to watch.

"He certainly tests my patience," admitted Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who, nevertheless, has adjusted his once staid—if also effective—offense to help suit Ginobili's unpredictable and exhilarating style.

Here's a combination of the worst of Charles Oakley, winging full-court passes into the stands, and the best of Magic Johnson, down the court, through the legs, behind the back and then over the shoulder for a score. Here's a lefty who shoots like Tiny Archibald and seems to have learned the game from Pete Maravich, a national icon on the level of Michael Jordan and a winner reminiscent of Bill Russell.

When Manu comes, you win.

Not necessarily only because of him, since Tim Duncan had something to do with that 2003 NBA title. Ginobili book-ended it with a silver medal in the 2002 world championships after leading Argentina over the U.S. team, and then a gold medal in the 2004 Olympics after conquering the NBA players again. Before that were the Italian league and Euroleague championships, when he was MVP of both.

In Argentina, which favors soccer, Argentine journalists who often follow Ginobili in the U.S. say he is the nation's most popular athlete and one of the most highly regarded of all time. His face is everywhere in endorsements with the combination of the NBA title and Olympic gold. This summer he received a six-year, $52 million deal as a Spurs free agent.

"Winning an NBA championship is the biggest thing that can happen professionally," Ginobili said. "But representing your country with more than 30 million people cheering for you and then seeing you up there on top of the podium ... it's hard to find any words [for] that."

But back on the basketball court, Manu means fun.

"Most of us coaches are to some degree controlling," acknowledged the blunt and candid Popovich. "He tests that. But the real danger is if you try to control him, you reach a point of diminishing returns and don't get what his value is.

"We're playing Dallas earlier this year and he's at the free-throw line, misses a free throw, gets the rebound and runs to the corner, and before I can even get to my feet and start yelling , 'No!' he's hitting a three.

"He tries to make the steal at halfcourt and a guy goes by him for an easy basket. He does those things. But everything he does is to help you win. He gives you an unbelievable effort and is avvy about the game.

"He knows how to take advantage of situations. He understands all the relationships on the floor, the passing lanes, he's clever with the ball, comes up behind and swipes the ball. But he can drive you wacko."

Ginobili scored 13 points and had five rebounds and five assists in the Spurs' 91-75 win Monday night. He came into the game averaging 15.2 points 4.8 rebounds and 4.5 assists. He was shooting almost 40 percent on threes and over 48 percent from the field. He is among the league leaders in steals and turnovers.

Ginobili is one of the great success stories of the Spurs.

Of course, it helped to fall into drafting Duncan the one season David Robinson was injured. But the Spurs do a little more.

Popovich, the Olympic assistant to Larry Brown last summer, was at a USA Basketball qualifier with Duncan and was watching Argentina play. He liked the enthusiasm Ginobili showed, the respect he had and the lack of fear against NBA players.

"It was a no-brainer to take him in the 50s," Popovich said of the 1999 draft when the Spurs selected Ginobili.

But this is hardly a brainless organization. In fact, it is the favorite to win the NBA title and the only potential dynasty in sight. The Spurs, with four international players as starters, have the league's best worldwide scouting. Tony Parker was a steal as the 28th pick in 2001, and this season the scouts appear to have come up with another sleeper in Slovenian point guard Beno Udrih, another 28th pick.

But Ginobili is the real gem.

He plays so hard Popovich has to take him out after six-minute segments. He averages 28.7 minutes a game. His Argentine coach sat him out second quarters lest he wear out. Ginobili doesn't understand pace. It's one speed and nothing safe.

It's why Ginobili makes the game so much fun. How many players can you really say that about? Many, like Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady and LeBron James, are capable of spectacular dunks, and Bryant can be mesmerizing around the basket. But few look so out of control yet so effective.

If the Spurs are the NBA's melting pot, then Ginobili is the flavoring.

"He brings in a personality that's not the norm," Popovich said. "He adds the little bit of spice you need in the pot."

TMTTRIO
12-07-2004, 09:37 AM
"It was a no-brainer to take him in the 50s," Popovich said of the 1999 draft when the Spurs selected Ginobili.

Great Article. I thought I heard somewhere they were about to pass on him and instead draft an Argentinean PG. It is interesting that all the teams that he's been on have won. I just wish he would cut down on his turnovers, but I guess he'll do whatever it takes to win. I love the guy and I'm glad we found him and drafted him after all.

Jimcs50
12-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Manu is the reason why the Spurs lost their boring tag.

FromWayDowntown
12-07-2004, 11:27 AM
With someone (outside of San Antonio) finally recognizing the great work that this front office does in identifying and keeping talent, maybe R.C. can finally get a little run for Exec. of the Year (since Pop never did).

Rummpd
12-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeah and David Dupree in U.S. Today says he would pay to see Dirk the non-defense wonder the most = nice to see someone who gets flair and heart.

MadDoc

whottt
12-07-2004, 02:30 PM
base is right..you are related to ducks.

Jimcs50
12-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Yeah and David Dupree in U.S. Today says he would pay to see Dirk the non-defense wonder the most = nice to see someone who gets flair and heart.

MadDoc

What??

exstatic
12-07-2004, 02:44 PM
I thought I heard somewhere they were about to pass on him and instead draft an Argentinean PG.

It was on the spurs telecast. It came down to Manu, or an Argentinian PG. They drafted Manu because it was thought that "Pop would never play a foreign PG". :lmao

travis2
12-07-2004, 02:48 PM
It was on the spurs telecast. It came down to Manu, or an Argentinian PG. They drafted Manu because it was thought that "Pop would never play a foreign PG". :lmao

That had to have been a joke...considering that was the same draft in which they picked up Tony Parker...

timvp
12-07-2004, 02:51 PM
No it wasn't.

timvp
12-07-2004, 02:51 PM
What??

You have to read the MadDocs posts by converting "=" into "-".

travis2
12-07-2004, 02:55 PM
No it wasn't.

You're right. Nevermind then.

sbsquared
12-07-2004, 03:01 PM
This was a great article - I'm glad people outside of San Antonio and Argentina are finally catching on to the wonder that is Manu! GO SPURS GO!!

RobinsontoDuncan
12-07-2004, 04:00 PM
he never even mentioned scola or the guy whoes name begins with a J.....(Javokoda?)

TMTTRIO
12-07-2004, 04:16 PM
I wonder if Manu's other coaches were driven as crazy as Pop with Manu's play? :lol

ALVAREZ6
12-07-2004, 07:14 PM
That's a great article.
To me, i think Manu is one of the most exciting players in the NBA, in that group with LBJ and AI.
Every single second that Manu is on the court, he is giving all of his effort and energy. He was underrated, and now people are starting to see how useful he is.

TMTTRIO
12-07-2004, 07:32 PM
I know that he drives Pop crazy but he's got to be a nightmare to play against. You never know what's in his bag of tricks along with all those steals that he gets that leaves his opponents very frustrated leaving them to take him down hard. The only thing that can stop him is himself (turnovers, etc.). I'm just glad that he's on our team and that we don't have to play against him.

1Parker1
12-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Very nice article. I'm starting to really appreciate what Manu brings to the team :)

**Finally jumping on the Manu bandwagon**

pjjrfan
12-07-2004, 08:36 PM
I've been watching the NBA since my senior yr. in hs, 1968, and Manu without a doubt is one of the most exciting players I have ever seen. And it's the way he plays with an all out flair, that reminds me of the really competive athletes in sports, Staubach, Rose, Magic, Bird, Jordan, he is not a franchise player like these guys, but he plays with a franchise heart, and a champions will to win every game he plays in.

As a fan, that is a beautiful thing to watch on a reg. basis, since the guy plays for my Spurs.