PDA

View Full Version : Spurs tried to get Zach Randolph?

timvp
07-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Randolph couldn't stay out of trouble in Portand and has a long rap sheet dating to high school. One bright spot is he's never been suspended by the NBA for a positive drug test.

Thomas swears he did his homework on Randolph's transgressions and was permitted to interview Brothers before the trade. The Knicks realize if it weren't for his past, Randolph would not have come as cheaply as Channing Frye and Steve Francis.

A person familiar with trade talks said Portland turned down better offers from Denver, Dallas, Seattle and San Antonio because the Blazers didn't want him in the West.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07032007/sports/knicks/new_york_slate_knicks_marc_berman.htm

Randolph doesn't seem to be Spurs material and has never been accused of being a defensive player. It's pretty tough to believe this were the case. What could the Spurs offer that is better than Channing Frye?

However, if this is true, it means that perhaps the Spurs are being a lot more active than they are letting on.

MoSpur
07-03-2007, 04:14 PM
He could have been used w/out a doubt, but he has a hefty contract.

urunobili
07-03-2007, 04:15 PM
do you believe that? i don't think so... not even in a 100 years Buford would let e guy like that ruin our locker room...

Mitch Cumsteen
07-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah... the Spurs are really likely to take on $15M/yr for a who can't stay out of trouble. It fits in with every single move the organization has made over the past 12 years.

SuperDave
07-03-2007, 04:18 PM
People include the Spurs in all kinds of trade speculation as potential suitors these days because it makes their own decisions seem smarter. The Spurs are perceived as the franchise that always does the smart thing, so if the Spurs want your asset (rumor of going after Oden pick), or the asset you traded for (Randolph), then it enhances your own perception or the perception of the asset in question.

What does it take to get the Spurs mentioned as a possible suitor? Simply leak it to any of your media hacks or even a blogger/pseudo-journalist. What can the Spurs do to refute any of it? Nothing, really, it's next to impossible to refute an unsourced rumor, and it's not worth the effort.

T Park
07-03-2007, 04:20 PM
I highly doubt this.

I don't know what the Spurs offered that could've been better than Frye and Francis.

If they are active, that does give me hope for Chapu.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Beno, Barry and a Bag of chips is better than Francis and Frye??

I guess I'd rather have three B's than two F's.

Ocotillo
07-03-2007, 04:21 PM
It also mentions Seattle. Maybe a Presti thing rather than a Spur thing.

lotr1trekkie
07-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Another Rodman. No way. Maybe the next rumor will be that we are hot for the Dirkman.

O-Factor
07-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Yeah, i don't believe that NY post writer

Borosai
07-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Lies.

Phil Hellmuth
07-03-2007, 05:19 PM
BS. He was probably trying to reach his Text Character Amount Quota minimum.

lrrr
07-03-2007, 05:22 PM
I doubt the Blazers would even care if he was in the Western Conference. As if he is a force to be feared!

This writer is full of BS.

Steve-O-Matic
07-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Keep in mind that the NY Post is a tabloid publication, and not a legitimate news outlet such as the NY Times.

td4mvp21
07-03-2007, 06:48 PM
I bet we could get him from the Knicks. Isaiah is one stupid motherfucker.

ShoogarBear
07-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Man, the Spurs were trying to get Oden and Randolph. :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Utter BS. The Spurs emphasise character, he's a max salary player, and I don't see where he would've fitted on the team given that TD takes up the post, and jackie is obviously a post guy in development.

Stupid rumour.

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Randolph doesn't seem to be Spurs material and has never been accused of being a defensive player. It's pretty tough to believe this were the case. What could the Spurs offer that is better than Channing Frye?

However, if this is true, it means that perhaps the Spurs are being a lot more active than they are letting on.

that's what you think, but the Spurs still tried to get him though

Duncan/Randolph front court would just be unfair for the NBA

JamStone
07-03-2007, 11:53 PM
I bet we could get him from the Knicks. Isaiah is one stupid motherfucker.

Ok, I'm biased because I'm a huge Isiah fan, but looking back, most of the moves Isiah has been crucified for have not turned out as lopsided as first thought.

Don't get me wrong, he's still made quite a mess over the last few years, but his drafting has been solid, and even decisions like acquiring Eddy Curry have turned out all right.

Spurs fans thought Isiah was an idiot for not matching the Jackie Butler offer, and there were several even predicting Jackie Butler would end up being the starting center for the Spurs. Turns out, Isiah probably did the right thing there.

Trading Nazr to the Spurs for Malik Rose and what turned out to be David Lee and Mardy Collins doesn't look that bad for Isiah either.

He has definitely made some poor decisions like hiring Larry Brown. But, even some of his bad decisions like acquiring Steve Francis, he mitigated damage by using Francis' contract as a piece to get Zach Randolph. His trades have not been nearly as bad as what they were made out to be. His MLE signing have been atrocious, but everything else hasn't been that bad.

As long as the Knicks lose, he'll get heat. But, thing is, even if he didn't make those moves, the Knicks were going to suck. He has transformed a roster left by Layden that was old and useless and infused youth and talent. Now, chemistry and teamwork is the requisite next step in order to improve that team.

pad300
07-03-2007, 11:54 PM
that's what you think, but the Spurs still tried to get him though

Duncan/Randolph front court would just be unfair for the NBA

Just to screw with people's minds

Duncan
for
Randolph and Pick #2

I wouldn't do it, but it would leave the Spurs with a huge low post threat (Randolph), a potential HOF'er 3/4 tweener at all of 20 years of age (Durant), a good pg (Tony), a good sg (Manu)...That's a team with championship aspirations, and a very bright future (Tony, Durant). The 08 plan, however, would be off...

BeerIsGood!
07-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Just to screw with people's minds

Duncan
for
Randolph and Pick #2

I wouldn't do it, but it would leave the Spurs with a huge low post threat (Randolph), a potential HOF'er 3/4 tweener at all of 20 years of age (Durant), a good pg (Tony), a good sg (Manu)...That's a team with championship aspirations, and a very bright future (Tony, Durant). The 08 plan, however, would be off...

:lol I almost choked on a beer reading that. The day Randolph is in the HOF will be armageddon day.

JamStone
07-04-2007, 12:44 AM
I think the potential HOFer he was referring to was Kevin Durant.

By the way, in that scenario, how did Portland get the #2 pick? They had the #1 pick.

BeerIsGood!
07-04-2007, 12:48 AM
I think the potential HOFer he was referring to was Kevin Durant.

By the way, in that scenario, how did Portland get the #2 pick? They had the #1 pick.

shit, you're right. I completely mis-read that. I guess he's talking about trading from Portland, but there's no way Portland would have done that deal. From a SA point of view I wouldn't do that deal either.

pad300
07-04-2007, 01:00 AM
shit, you're right. I completely mis-read that. I guess he's talking about trading from Portland, but there's no way Portland would have done that deal. From a SA point of view I wouldn't do that deal either.

Yes, you did misread that. My own brain lock was that thinking Randolph was in Seattle, not Portland. At that point it would look like
Duncan for Randolph + #1 overall

and the spurs Roster would be

Oden, Randolph, Bowen, Manu, Tony

We would still have a potential HOF center (Oden), a decent PF (Randolph, he'd be really good except for his head and his D), a good PG (Tony), and a good SG (Manu). That would still be a team of possible champions...

E20
07-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Eddie Winslow, next thing we'll be contacting Steve Urkel.