PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial update on some FA's-- Hill and SA included

ploto
07-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Here's what I can assume, after a few conversations.They (Raptors) tried to get Grant Hill, were willing to give him the full mid-level for five years ( :dizzy ) but he's intent on going to either San Antonio or Phoenix, I'm told.

Gerald Wallace is too expensive.

Matt Barnes is going back to Golden State.

Luke Walton's already gone back to the Lakers.

Mickeal Pietrus is going to be a Warrior again, it seems...
Free Agents (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/232004)

timvp
07-03-2007, 05:13 PM
They (Raptors) tried to get Grant Hill, were willing to give him the full mid-level for five years

:lmao

Someone buy Bryan Colangelo a clue before he single-handedly kills the last remaining Canadian team.

timvp
07-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Okay, ploto ... now yeah, signing Kapono to that giant deal was a much better idea than signing Hill to a full MLE deal for five years.

I can't deny that one :)

ploto
07-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Okay, ploto ... now yeah, signing Kapono to that giant deal > signing Hill to a full MLE deal for five years.

I can't deny that one :)
I can not believe this is true- you saw my response. Maybe that was their final offer to try to force the issue figuring he would cave in for the money, but he didn't.

It does go to show that Kapono was about their only option to sign as a FA SF, so they overpaid some to get him, which is what I said on Sunday.

timvp
07-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I can not believe this is true- you saw my response. Maybe that was their final offer to try to force the issue figuring he would cave in for the money, but he didn't.

It does go to show that Kapono was about their only option to sign as a FA SF, so they overpaid some to get him, which is what I said on Sunday.

No, it more goes to show that Bryan Colangelo was in full panic mode and was making stupid offers left and right. Kapono was just lucky enough to get in the way.

ploto
07-03-2007, 05:33 PM
There were other teams courting Kapono. And even Mo Pete is going to get the MLE. Seems to be the going rate.

Marklar MM
07-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Hill was in Detroit today.

timvp
07-03-2007, 05:42 PM
There were other teams courting Kapono. And even Mo Pete is going to get the MLE. Seems to be the going rate.
:lol You can't pretend Kapono was a shrewd signing, especially now that this Hill nugget dropped. Colangelo is a horribly overrated GM who made another bad move.

Bump this thread next year after you watch Kapono attempt to play defense when he doesn't have Shaq or Zo in the middle to clean up his messes.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Colangelo is overrated. So are white role players by some.

BradLohaus
07-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Somebody needs to break the news to Grant that there's just no room left on next year's title train. Looks like he'll be the Suns' 2008 version of Jalen Rose.

Steve-O-Matic
07-03-2007, 06:24 PM
ESPN's Chad Ford just posted the following.....

------------------------------
One day after coming to a verbal agreement with free agent Rashard Lewis, the Orlando Magic withdrew their qualifying offer for restricted free agent Darko Milicic on Tuesday.

The move in effect means that the Magic have renounced their rights to Milicic and he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Milicic's agent Marc Cornstein said the move took him by surprise. He said Magic GM Otis Smith called him earlier in the day to tell him the team wanted to keep Darko and would begin exploring ways to make it happen.

Now, any team in the league can sign Darko without fear of the Magic matching an offer. Only three teams, ithe Bobcats, Grizzlies and Bucks, really have the cap room available to offer more than the mid-level exception. A fourth team, the Chicago Bulls, might be able to clear enough room if they were to renounce their rights to free agent Andreas Nocioni.
If neither Charlotte or Memphis are interested, Milicic will likely have to sign a one- or two-year deal for the mid-level exception and re-enter the free-agent market next summer to look for a bigger deal.

Milicic was looking for a long-term deal averaging between $9 and $10 million a year according to league sources.

Cornstein said that the Magic actually came very close to signing Milicic to an extension this fall, but unexpectedly withdrew their offer at the last minute.

The move puzzled a number of GMs in the league who wondered why the Magic didn't at least attempt to get something of value for Darko.

"They gave up a No. 1 pick for him and he has enormous trade value," one GM said. "A number of teams would've talked with them about sign-and-trades, including us. But Otis didn't return calls and we never heard from him. It makes no sense."

If Milcic does decide to sign a mid-level deal, expect the most competitive teams to be ones like the 76ers and Spurs that will have signficant cap room to re-sign him in the summer of 2008.

HJNTX
07-03-2007, 06:33 PM
During the finals, he was extremely complimentary of the SPURS and had them to win in the semis ..I wouldn't mind seeing him in SA ..

ObiwanGinobili
07-03-2007, 06:38 PM
chi-town takes hill, we take nocioni and trade out the rights to scola and barry.

I'm not nba$ and cba savvy.. can someone work out a way to do it?

Switchman
07-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Fuck all these guys. It is a no-brainer to get Nocioni. Do whatever you can.

Beno, Butler, Barry, package them up and add Scola for all I care.

Hill is an overpaid scrub who's entire career is a dissapointment. Just because he is nice, a vet, and ring-less...doesn't mean the Spurs have to get him. :nope

baseline bum
07-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Wow. Chad Ford sucks Darko's dick in another column. Who would have expected it?

I don't want Hill. He's too old. He's too injury prone. He's a high risk, low reward kind of guy for this team. Hey Bruce, thanks for the three titles and for shutting Iverson, Nash, Williams, and LeBron down these playoffs, but we're giving your minutes to the newb. Manu, great job being the all-star swingman we had been looking for ever since we traded Ice, now shut the fuck up when we run our offense through Grant. Fin, thanks for signing here for nothing, for almost leading us by Dallas, and for being the difference that propelled this team to the title this year. Enjoy the pine.

Nocioni on the other hand would be perfect. He could take Elson's minutes as well as give this team a monster on the boards at the SF. A frontcourt rotation of Duncan/Bowen/Oberto/Nocioni with Elson in spot minutes or for certain matchups would be sick.

Darko? No way. Boy is soft, lazy, and has never shown anything to make me believe he'll ever come close to tapping that potential that blew us all away four years ago. Just what we would need: a center on a bloated contract who grabs 4.5 rebounds a game.

dg7md
07-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Finley, Barry, AND Hill? No thanks. Having three fairly old swingmen will just make us look bad and stubborn about any and all possible youth. Hill can't play all season, infact he can hardly play a quarter of one. If we get Hill I will be distraught at the idea, we just need to focus on the guys we have and look about getting Nocioni and that's all we have to do, since we already resigned Oberto and Vaughn.

If we get Hill, it'd be similar to the Van Exel fiasco, thus meaning we'll lose in the semis again. It's plain as day to see that Hill just wants to go to a contender, win a title, and retire... like Van Exel.

Sure he's a great man but that doesn't mean we need him anyway. Finley > Hill

coachmac87
07-03-2007, 07:16 PM
why do i feel brent barry is holding the spurs back to do what they want to do in free agency...spurs just need to get rid of him already

Russ
07-03-2007, 08:33 PM
During the finals, he was extremely complimentary of the SPURS and had them to win in the semis ..I wouldn't mind seeing him in SA ..
Why? The Spurs need friendly commentators much more than anything Grant Hill could do on the court. :)

(And his star-struck wife is still looking for recording studios in SA.)

ShoogarBear
07-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Darko wants $9-10 million a year?

Mark in Austin
07-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Darko? No way. Boy is soft, lazy, and has never shown anything to make me believe he'll ever come close to tapping that potential that blew us all away four years ago. Just what we would need: a center on a bloated contract who grabs 4.5 rebounds a game.

Exactly... 9-10 million/year for that guy is a joke.

$100.00 says somehow, someway, he's going to New York :lol

exstatic
07-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Exactly... 9-10 million/year for that guy is a joke.

$100.00 says somehow, someway, he's going to New York :lol
No, Isaiah hates white Euros.

ploto
07-03-2007, 09:41 PM
No, Isaiah hates white Euros.
Actually, Isaiah tried to get Rasho on several ocassions.

ploto
07-03-2007, 09:43 PM
:lol You can't pretend Kapono was a shrewd signing, especially now that this Hill nugget dropped. Colangelo is a horribly overrated GM who made another bad move.

When you see what others guys are going to be getting, this contract will look small. It is all relative to what the market value is at the time.

timvp
07-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Actually, Isaiah tried to get Rasho on several ocassions.I don't think that is something to brag about.

When you see what others guys are going to be getting, this contract will look small. It is all relative to what the market value is at the time.If Matt Carroll signs for the full MLE, you might have a point. Until then, you can only hope Colangelo doesn't look like an idiot by the end of the summer.

michaelwcho
07-03-2007, 11:51 PM
When you see what others guys are going to be getting, this contract will look small. It is all relative to what the market value is at the time.

Wrong. That's like saying Adonal Foyle's contract was reasonable. Same situation.

Obstructed_View
07-04-2007, 07:51 AM
If you get in a bidding war for a turd, it doesn't change the fact that you paid too much for a turd at the end of the day. I agree with your statement insofar as, given the environment of throwing too much money at bad players, the Spurs would do well not to get involved.

ATRAIN
07-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Can Hill even play D?

xmas1997
07-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Rumors, all rumors!

Don't hold your breath on Hill becoming a Spur.

If it happens, it happens, ala Finley.

K-State Spur
07-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Can Hill even play D?

He's still decent - a solid position defender. He was well above average before the injury train.

Fast Dunk
07-04-2007, 01:42 PM
:lmao

Someone buy Bryan Colangelo a clue before he single-handedly kills the last remaining Canadian team.

Bryan Colangelo is way better than the cheap ass RC Buford who is overrated.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Yea, RC had nothing to do with the last 3 championships. :rolleyes

Fast Dunk
07-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Yea, RC had nothing to do with the last 3 championships. :rolleyes

It's called: LUCK!

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2007, 01:55 PM
It's called: LUCK!
Yea because you need a lot of luck to play in the Western Conference, unlike Bryan Colangelo. :rolleyes

Darkwaters
07-04-2007, 01:58 PM

Considering our team is having roster spot problems but no cap problems to speak of, I'd say Buford has managed things quite well. Having a full roster thats winning championships and under the cap is tough to do.

But how are your negotiations for an actual PG coming though out in Cleveland?