8.Bruce - G/F(option picked up)
9.Finley - G/F(option picked up)
10.Horry - F(option picked up)
11.Bonner - F(re-signed)
12.Duncan - F
13.Butler - C
14.Elson - C
15.Oberto -C(re-signed)

Hmmm....so there's a 15 man Roster limit eh?

Spurs Brazil
07-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Now it's time to trade Beno and find a backup PG

picnroll
07-03-2007, 07:46 PM
My bet is either White or Williams makes the team and my bet is Williams.

ShoogarBear
07-03-2007, 07:47 PM
The 2008 Master Plan doesn't start until the summer of 2008.

whottt
07-03-2007, 07:49 PM
The 2008 Master Plan doesn't start until the summer of 2008.

Yeah but we are the 07 Champs so this upcoming roster can't be called the 07 Roster.

timvp
07-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Yeah but we are the 07 Champs so this upcoming roster can't be called the 07 Roster.

07-08 :toast

timvp
07-03-2007, 07:53 PM
But yeah, perhaps the Spurs weren't bluffing when they said they'd bring back the same team to try to repeat.

That said, now is the time to trade any number of those expiring contracts for a player that can stick around for years. Barry, Scola + filler for Nocioni not only is a hell of a trade but would also open up some maneuverability roster wise.

ShoogarBear
07-03-2007, 07:55 PM
The thing is, I'm not sure that repeating in 2007-2008 is part of the 2008 Master Plan.

whottt
07-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Looking at that roster...it wouldn't suprise me if the Spurs tried to bring over one of the EuroBigs...

We can talk about SF's all we want...but Pop's history suggest that the position he is most worried about right now is the PF/C rotation...he traded for depth to that same rotation last season...Still don't have a bulky C Pop is satisfied with, outside of Duncan.

T Park
07-03-2007, 07:59 PM
So is it ok when stan kelley introduces them to say that its "The defending champion, spurs"??

I mean, being the exact same team and all.....

Steve-O-Matic
07-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Technically Marcus Williams is not on the roster, as he is not currently under contract. The Spurs simply own his rights.

ShoogarBear
07-03-2007, 08:05 PM
The Spurs simply own his rights.As they do with everyone who plays basketball in Arizona.

whottt
07-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Technically Marcus Williams is not on the roster, as he is not currently under contract. The Spurs simply own his rights.

Fair enough...but they want him to be on it, and he's going to get a chance to make it. So right now I am including him.

White can be waived at the drop of a hat as well...

If we can't move a player by trade...one of those two will go if we sign anyone else.

Darkwaters
07-03-2007, 08:31 PM
But yeah, perhaps the Spurs weren't bluffing when they said they'd bring back the same team to try to repeat.

That said, now is the time to trade any number of those expiring contracts for a player that can stick around for years. Barry, Scola + filler for Nocioni not only is a hell of a trade but would also open up some maneuverability roster wise.

If we pull off that trade it helps both teams considerably and definitely helps out our roster crunch. If we made that trade and then also dumped Beno to the Cavs...

Parker/Vaughn

Ginobili/Finley/Bowen/Nocioni/White/Williams

Duncan/Oberto/Horry/Elson/Butler/Bonner

At that point we should have one roster spot, still have our full MLE, and only be lacking a good backup PG. Chucky Atkins, Brevin Knight and Theodoras Papaloukas are all available and could be had for part of that MLE (or LLE). Also younger choices like Aaron Miles and Zabian Dowdell are still on the table to be had. Take your pick.

Then next season our team should look something like this assuming none of our FAs come back.

Parker/2nd PG?/Vaughn

Ginobili/Nocioni/Williams

Duncan/Oberto/Butler/Bonner

One can assume that if James White was carried throughout the entire 07-08 season then he'll likely be in their plans to be resigned. Bowen might be brought back, but I think he retires. I think Finley goes elsewhere. Splitter and Mahinmi are likely brought over and the roster is thusly filled out.

Parker/2nd PG/Vaughn

Ginobili/Nocioni/White/Williams/(Bowen?)/(Finley?)

Duncan/Oberto/Butler/Bonner/Splitter/Mahinmi

Could prove to be interesting.

Steve-O-Matic
07-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Fair enough...but they want him to be on it, and he's going to get a chance to make it. So right now I am including him.

White can be waived at the drop of a hat as well...

If we can't move a player by trade...one of those two will go if we sign anyone else.
I don't think its accurate to say that they "want (Williams) to be on the roster." More like, they "want him to come in and prove that he deserves to be on the roster."

whottt
07-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Whatever makes you feel comfortable...disect away, but since I said he's not guartanteed to make it in the first post of this thread....the implication is easy to see, as was the reason I included him on this roster, SO FAR.

timvp
07-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Williams will most likely make the team. You don't draft someone at 33 in a deep draft and then not even keep him around for one year to play in the D-League. That wouldn't make any sense.

Williams could be let go but it'd be unexpected.

whottt
07-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Williams will most likely make the team. You don't draft someone at 33 in a deep draft and then not even keep him around for one year to play in the D-League. That wouldn't make any sense.

Williams could be let go but it'd be unexpected.

I disagree...I think the Spurs drafted him because they don't want him on the roster...and Steve O'matic agrees.

pad300
07-03-2007, 11:40 PM
I disagree...I think the Spurs drafted him because they don't want him on the roster...and Steve O'matic agrees.

Could the Spurs connections get Williams a contract with a Euro team (allowing him to develop - for shits and giggles, say Tau), freeing a roster spot, and allowing the Spurs to retain his rights. As I understand it, to lose his rights, we would either have to sign him and cut him ourselves, or he would have to not play B-ball professionally (ie. for salary) for a year...

K-State Spur
07-03-2007, 11:44 PM
technically, i believe that they could. but if the team were to push that against his wishes, i think the players' union would raise absolute holy hell.

Borosai
07-04-2007, 12:25 AM
My bet is either White or Williams makes the team and my bet is Williams.

Wrong.

Solid D
07-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Depth Chart

Oberto..........Elson..........Butler
Duncan.........Horry..........Bonner
Bowen..........Barry..........White
Finley...........Ginobili........
Parker..........Vaughn.......Udrih

BeerIsGood!
07-04-2007, 12:34 AM
Depth Chart

Oberto..........Elson..........Butler
Duncan.........Horry..........Bonner
Bowen..........Barry..........White
Finley...........Ginobili........
Parker..........Vaughn.......Udrih

Add Williams behind Gino and I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs start the season with that roster. I hope they can trade Udrih for picks or include him in a deal and get another PG and possibly a SF, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

coopdogg3
07-04-2007, 12:40 AM
The thing is, I'm not sure that repeating in 2007-2008 is part of the 2008 Master Plan.

So can we finally put the supposed "2008 Master Plan" to rest?

xmas1997
07-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Add Williams behind Gino and I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs start the season with that roster. I hope they can trade Udrih for picks or include him in a deal and get another PG and possibly a SF, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I think you're right about this.
Although early yet, it appears that the Spurs will indeed, dispite rumors to the contrary, go into the upcoming season with the players they already have, thus allowing them to defend their title with the roster intact plus their draft choice, Williams. And this was what they have repeatedly said they would do.

The upside is that those players such as Elson, White, and Butler will have had a year under their belts and should be better contributors this upcoming season with Williams riding the bench or in the Austin NBDL.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for some trade of Beno, Butler, or Barry.
Nor would I hold my breath hoping for Nocioni, Hill, or Scola.

IMHO this is basically it for the 07-08 season and follows what the FO has been saying all along despite rumors to the contrary.
If anything else develops, it will probably and only be because it makes the team significantly better, but again I'm not holding my breath here simply because no other teams are inclined to make the defending champs better than they already are.

There will be lots of discussions, talks, phone calls, etc. that will be reported, but I seriously doubt anything happens to change what already is in place, and yes, even with Beno, doghouse and all.

Fast Dunk
07-04-2007, 01:47 PM
:shootme :vomit:
1.Parker - G
2.Beno - G
3.Vaughn - G(re-signed)
4.Barry - G/F
5.Manu - G/F
6.White - G/F(not guaranteed yet)
7.Williams - G/F(not guaranteed yet)
8.Bruce - G/F(option picked up)
9.Finley - G/F(option picked up)
10.Horry - F(option picked up)
11.Bonner - F(re-signed)
12.Duncan - F
13.Butler - C
14.Elson - C
15.Oberto -C(re-signed)

Hmmm....so there's a 15 man Roster limit eh?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2007, 01:49 PM
:shootme :vomit:
That roster beat your lame ass team.

El_Mago
07-04-2007, 02:02 PM
1.Parker - PG
2.Beno - PG
3.Vaughn - PG
4.Finley - SG
5.Ginobili - SG
6.Barry - SG/SF
7.Bowen - SF
8.White - SF (not guaranteed yet)
9.Duncan - PF
10.Horry - PF
11.Bonner - PF
12.Oberto - C
14.Butler - C

The Spurs went into the offseason claiming they were going to do everthing in their power to keep the team intact and attempt to defend the title. They have stuck to their guns and are doing just that. The Spurs do not seem to be very interested in free agency, so I fully expect them to not use any of the MLE or make any sign and trades. Unless, there is an absolute offer they can not refuse, which seems very unlikely.

The Spurs could trade Beno Udrih, but I do not believe there is enough interest out there. Also, it is possible that there is nothing in value being offered for him. Although many may be unhappy with it....Beno Udrih might return next year.

James White will go into the Summer League along with Marcus Williams. White has earned his "spurs" this season by busting his ass in practice. His defense has improved and he has become a tougher player. However, he will have to bring it at the Summer League to prove he is worthy of keeping his roster spot. The Spurs have eyed James White since last years draft and when he was waived by Indiana, the Spurs were the first team calling for his services. I believe the Spurs are just as high, if not higher on him since last years draft. I expect him to be on the opening day roster.

Marcus Williams could have been a lottery pick last year. However, he decided to stay in Arizona and some scouts had him going somewhere between the early to late twenties in this years draft. Fortunately for the Spurs, Williams slipped into the second round. He is a nice scorer and has a very impressive wingspan. He is accustomed to guarding the opposing teams best player. The Spurs could possibly see him as a Bowen replacement.

There is one roster spot available. Unless, White blows at the Summer League or someone else on the Summer League/Training camp amazes the Spurs....I expect the last roster spot to go to Williams. Marcus will more than likely be given the "White" treatment and get sent down to the Toros, which is fine....there is no need for him at the moment.

whottt
07-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Updated:

1.Parker - G
2.Beno - G
3.Vaughn - G
4.Barry - G/F
5.Manu - G/F
6.White - G/F(not guaranteed yet)
7.Williams - G/F(not guaranteed yet)
8.Bruce - G/F
9.Finley - G/F
10.Horry - F
11.Bonner - F
12.Duncan - F
13.Elson - C
14.Oberto -C

14 slots filled, 1 slot open.

Potential additions:

Vaginis Spatula
Viktor Sandick
Ian Mahinimi
Ime Udoka

Longshot: Matt Barnes

Likely subtractions:

Barry
Williams or White(it's a virtual certainty they won't both be making the active roster)...but the flip side is they can waive one of them and still wind up having the guy on a d-league team like the Kings did with Justin Williams last year.
Beno

Waiving Williams or White is probably going to be to open up the door for Sanikidze or Mahimimi.

whottt
07-14-2007, 06:54 AM
Hmmm...

Let's consider that Pop wants to clean his doghouse out...

White or Williams goes...

Concievably the signing of Udoka makes both White and Williams expendable

Beno and Barry are both likely candidates to be moved...

You know...I could see the Spurs holding off on a deal to move Barry and Beno until they know if they are going to get Udoka(Barry) or perhaps even Spatula(Beno)...

If Udoka does sign and makes White and Williams expendable...that gives the Spurs 13 slots filled with two left...

Hmmm...Spurs just bought a minor league team...

A nice play for Sandick and Mahinimi to play...

Something tells me they didn't just buy it to play one guy there.

And there is that little fact that no one is going after Barnes...and he has an agent known to stick a guy somewhere for the vet min for a year to boost his value...he probably wouldn't think the Spurs are the ideal place to do that...

But Barnes just might like the Spurs and may want to spend his vet min year getting a ring.

Wet Dream Roster for 08(taking into account Pop getting some fresh faces to doghouse):

1.Parker
2.Vaginis
3.Finley(I rather Barry but let's face it....Finley is cheap and Pop hates Barry)
4.Manu
5.Vaughn
6.Bowen
7.Udoka
8.Barnes
9.Sandick
10.Mahinimi
11.Bonner
12.Oberto
13.Elson
14.Horry
15.Duncan

Small Ball that fucking lineup....

Streakyshooter08
07-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Spatula= Spanoulis?

I would really love to have him. But the chances that he will be here next year are really slim.

Travis Outlaw would be a player that I really like as a prospect. If they sign Udoka they are pretty much set at the wings, so they might look at trading for a backup PG. most likely Barry/Beno will go. It would be great to have a PG who is able to knock down a jumper. That would make it even tougher for the opposing team to double down low. Maybe Mahinmi will take Butlers spot. I would like a roster of:

TP/???/Vaughn
Manu/Udoka
Bruce/ Fin/ Williams
TD/Horry/Bonner
Oberto/Elson/Mahinmi

whottt
07-14-2007, 08:36 AM
Spatula= Spanoulis?

Yeah...if the name is too hard to remember, I'll change it to something easier to remember...and those Greek Names kick my ass.

samikeyp
07-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Vaginis Spatula

:lol

boutons_
07-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Spanoulis is only 3 easily distinguishable syllables.

Greek names can be much worse, eg, George Stephanopoulos.

Mr. Body
07-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Here's hoping for adding:

Ime Udoka
Ian Mahinmi
Viktor Sanikidze

In blowouts opposing announcers would be a riot.

lotr1trekkie
07-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Butler gone-one spot. White or Williams not both -2 spots. If we sign Udoka we might decide to keep neither. White didn't play yesterday and Williams again shot 28%. Sandikdze seems to have potential as a long three who shots the 3. If we sign Udoka we need to unload Beno or Brent. We could just live with Beno for one more year. Possible Mahinmi, Sandikdze and Williams on the IL.

whottt
07-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Updated:

1.Parker - G
2.Beno - G
3.Vaughn - G
4.Barry - G/F
5.Manu - G/F
6.Williams - G/F(not guaranteed yet)
7.Bruce - G/F
8.Finley - G/F
9.Horry - F
10.Bonner - F
11.Duncan - F
12.Elson - C
13.Oberto -C

Gone: White - G/F

13 slots filled, 2 slots open.

Potential additions:

Vaginis Spatula
Ian Mahinimi
Ime Udoka
CJ Watson

Longshot: Matt Barnes

Likely subtractions:

Barry
Williams or White(it's a virtual certainty they won't both be making the active roster)...but the flip side is they can waive one of them and still wind up having the guy on a d-league team like the Kings did with Justin Williams last year.
Beno

Waiving Williams or White is probably going to be to open up the door for Sanikidze or Mahimimi.

Looks like Ian is definitely going to make the roster.

Solid D
07-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Another look at this would be a depth chart, which shows the open slots:

Parker........Finley.......Bowen.....Duncan....... ..Oberto

Vaughn......Ginobili......Barry.......Horry....... .....Elson

Udrih......................................Bonner. ...................

timvp
07-23-2007, 05:26 PM

Watson......Williams....Sanikidze...Bonner. ........Mahinmi

Imagine how much money this roster would save. :smokin

whottt
07-23-2007, 05:28 PM
And it's probably a safe bet to pencil Williams in...at least until training camp.

Cant_Be_Faded
laaaaame

whottt
It's already been established Sanikidze isn't coming this year...right?

He's going to pay for his National Team...and I doubt the Spurs would waste a lot of time on him this season with no training camp..

timvp
07-23-2007, 05:30 PM
It's already been established Sanikidze isn't coming this year...right? No.

He's going to pay for his National Team.As most of the international players in the NBA will be doing this summer.

timvp
07-23-2007, 05:30 PM
..and I doubt the Spurs would waste a lot of time on him this season with no training camp..No training camp?

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2007, 05:37 PM

Watson......Williams....Sanikidze...Bonner. ........Mahinmi

Imagine how much money this roster would save. :smokin

What if they go with 14?

whottt
No training camp?

Vassilis didn't play for the Rockets in summer camp because of Nat'l team commitments correct?

Eh...I could have gotten it confused with Summer League...

I know players play for their Nat'l teams...who knows, maybe some of them have longer Nat'l Team commitments than others.

My question to you...

What makes you think Sanikidze is going to be here?

The Spurs barely gave him minutes and shuttled him off quickly.

Maybe...they weren't giving him many minutes because they knew he was going to be playing for his National Team....so they devoted Summer League to guys that weren't...

And again...maybe there is a trade going down and they were trying to hide him.

In any case...I didn't get the feeling Sanikidze was in the plans for this year after the way his training camp went.

Solid D

Earl Watson......Williams....Udoka...Bonner. ........Mahinmi

Imagine how much money this roster would cost. :smokin

:p:

timvp
07-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Vassilis didn't play for the Rockets in summer camp because of Nat'l team commitments correct? Summer camp is for kids.

Eh...I could have gotten it confused with Summer League...That'd make more sense.

I know players play for their Nat'l teams...who knows, maybe some of them have longer Nat'l Team commitments than others. When the tournaments end, the commitment is over.

My question to you...

What makes you think Sanikidze is going to be here? Nothing. But he most likely could come this summer if the Spurs wanted him.

The Spurs barely gave him minutes and shuttled him off quickly. It was determined before summer league that he was leaving after game two of RMR.

Maybe...they weren't giving him many minutes because they knew he was going to be playing for his National Team....so they devoted Summer League to guys that weren't...Probably had more to do with the fact that he was behind a guy trying to survive the month (White) and the Spurs' latest draft pick (Williams). Those two needed minutes more than Sanikidze. The Spurs can keep Sanikidze in Europe. They needed to decide on White by the end of the month and on Williams by training camp.

And again...maybe there is a trade going down and they were trying to hide him. Doubt it.

In any case...I didn't get the feeling Sanikidze was in the plans for this year after the way his training camp went.Training camp?

:smokin

Solid D
07-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Since the Spurs went with a 10-man rotation of players (10+ mpg) in the playoffs, if the Spurs bring in Udoka...what does that do to Brent?

Vaughn......Ginobili......Udoka.......Horry....... .....Elson

.................................Barry......Bonner .....................

justanotherspursfan
07-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Since the Spurs went with a 10-man rotation of players (10+ mpg) in the playoffs, if the Spurs bring in Udoka...what does that do to Brent?

Vaughn......Ginobili......Udoka.......Horry....... .....Elson

.................................Barry......Bonner .....................
Makes his expiring deal trade bait for February.