PDA

View Full Version : NBA Reviewing Vulgar Comments by Sprewell

Kori Ellis
12-07-2004, 03:11 AM
NBA Reviewing Vulgar Comments by Sprewell

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS - The NBA is reviewing comments Timberwolves swingman Latrell Sprewell allegedly made to a heckler during Minnesota's overtime victory Saturday over the Los Angeles Clippers, according to a newspaper report.

Sprewell responded to the female heckler with a sexually vulgar term, the Star Tribune of Minneapolis reported in its Tuesday editions.

The comment was apparently picked up by a courtside microphone and was broadcast by Los Angeles television station KTLA and by the Timberwolves' broadcast on KSTC television in Minnesota.

Tim Frank, vice president of basketball communications for the NBA, said league senior vice president Stu Jackson was reviewing the tape. A decision on possible punishment was unlikely before Tuesday.

A spokesman for the Timberwolves said the team had no comment.

KTLA-TV general manager Vincent Malcolm told the Star Tribune that the station had received as many as 15 complaints and will institute a seven-second delay in the future.

The incident is the latest controversy for Sprewell. Last month, he received a misdemeanor citation after arguing with a police officer during a traffic stop. Sprewell, who was a passenger in the vehicle, claimed he was treated unfairly.

The 34-year-old Sprewell also demanded that the Timberwolves either extend his contract or trade him, saying, "I've got my family to feed." The comment by Sprewell, who will make $14.6 million this season in the final year of his deal, drew criticism from NBA commissioner David Stern.

milkyway21
12-07-2004, 03:21 AM
..for allegedly making sexual vulgar comments to a heckler after their OT win over the LA Clippers in LA? :hang They have an impt. game this wk vs.the Mavs.

Gooshie
12-07-2004, 09:38 AM
I was watching that game. He said "Suck my d$ck" directly at someone. The cameras had focused in on him about a second before he said it, and it was REALLY loud. I thought the Clippers' broadcasters were gonna say something about it, but they ignored it completely.

Kori Ellis
12-07-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure what kind of fine or suspension he would get for something like this.

Jimcs50
12-07-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm not sure what kind of fine or suspension he would get for something like this.

That depends on whether the fan was offended or not. If it was TPark, it is all good.

:)

exstatic
12-07-2004, 02:55 PM
I don't think he should get anything. I think if you're a heckler, you should be ready for anything, verbal, back.

That being said, this is why I was SO glad that we didn't go after Spree. I knew that he would melt down in his contract year when he was not offered an extension, and make no mistake about it, Pop would NOT have offered him an extension. One Steve Smith was enough, although to his credit, he only pouted the first year of two. Spree appears to be doing the opposite, pouting in year two.

ggoose25
12-07-2004, 04:26 PM
I agree X... I know Spree was Pop's love child and he had been trying to get him here forever, but no one can control that piece of trash. I think he wouldve choked Pop eventually...

sickdsm
12-07-2004, 05:01 PM
This is one episode of Spree i can defend. It happans all the time. Its just this time it was highlighted. The NBA should expect stuff like this. The put the mics so they pick up every sound, how many times has a guy gone up for a board and yelled "Oh Shit!"? How about thos floor cameras? How many times have i seen Shaq's ass from the through the bottom of the shorts shots? Spree's done stuff like that his entire career. Anything from choking to lieing about his broken hand. This is Spree, it isn't him melting down.

MosesGuthrie
12-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Probably not the smartest thing to do but given the crap players endure, its not surprising. I don't encourage it but its not worth the NBA getting worked up over, unless he had said it to a little kid. I would rather a player do that then beat the crap out of someone.

picnroll
12-07-2004, 05:24 PM
This is one episode of Spree i can defend.
Yes yelling 'Suck my d!ck" to a stand full of children is definitely defendable. Are Pop and Holt the only management in the league with half a brain when it comes to player demeanor?

RobinsontoDuncan
12-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Yeah but have you seen his hair? He should get a one game suspension for looking like a poodle.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Spree got suspended one game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1940678

That'll teach him.

1Parker1
12-07-2004, 07:15 PM
"Yeah but have you seen his hair? He should get a one game suspension for looking like a poodle"

:lol
In that case, a lotta players would be getting suspensions!

ducks
12-07-2004, 07:16 PM
I think this is wrong

a player has a right to yell back
not phyiscal attack and not run into stands though

IcemanCometh
12-07-2004, 07:18 PM
boo fucking hoo, what was the bitch saying? maybe suspend her dumbass

MosesGuthrie
12-07-2004, 07:27 PM
IMO, a suspension is a little harsh. I think the NBA is skittish from the Pacer-Piston debacle.

CosmicCowboy
12-07-2004, 07:48 PM
harsh?...one game?

yellingSUCK MY DICK!!!! at the crowd?

it's not like he sent her an e-mail that only she (the heckler) could read...

ALVAREZ6
12-07-2004, 07:52 PM
thats the heckler's fault.. .screw her, if its verbal, then why do they care. it would have been funny if Sprewell yelled out, "All the young children, cover your ears for a second, thank you.."

"Suck My Dick , BITCH!!!"

milkyway21
12-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Spree got suspended one game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1940678

That'll teach him.That's why the Wolves are struggling against the Mavs right now? :elephant

sickdsm
12-08-2004, 11:10 PM
Are Pop and Holt the only management in the league with half a brain when it comes to player demeanor.

No, not considering they wanted Spree almost as bad.

Spree wouldn't have helped against the Mavs, i'd like to blame it on that but no. Both Wally and Trenton do more damage than Spree driving to the lane. Spree is known as a slasher but he seldom does that anymore. Some rebounds would have won the game easliy