PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many people keen to see Jackie go???

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2007, 10:19 PM
In just about every trade thread there are a multitude of people talking about sending Jackie Butler somewhere else. Why?

The kid has just finished his compulsory Pop-enforced year on the bench while he learns the system (see, Jackson, Stephen, 2002), he has shed a ton of weight, he has great hands, good post feet, shoots FTs well and has the potential to be a solid backup centre AT THE VERY LEAST. Also, his contract is 7mil/3 yrs which is NOTHING.

Why the hell are so many people writing him off before he's even shown us what he can do? :wtf

He should see at leats 10 mins a game this year, although I'd throw him in the fire and give him 12-15 backup minutes a game early in the season and see what he has to offer. If he proves that he can play in our system, the centre rotation of Oberto/Butler/Elson covers all possible matchups and gives the team fantastic flexibility.

Please stop shafting Jackie before he's even shown us what he has to offer! If he has a low bball IQ and can't work out how to play in the Spurs' system, fine, move him on, but give him a chance to play first!

/rant

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm not.

SequSpur
07-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Who is Jackie Butler? WNBA player? Who are you talking about?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Who is Jackie Butler? WNBA player? Who are you talking about?

I hope you run into him in a dark alley and he gets square with you for calling him a girl, little man... :lmao

spurtime
07-03-2007, 10:24 PM
I think it's more a recognition that he's a piece that would probably be necessary to get a deal done for a guy like Noc, along with Scola's rights, and Barry for salary matching. He has some value because of his low $ contract, youthful potential, and size.

Budkin
07-03-2007, 10:25 PM
It would be a damn shame if we let him go.

vander
07-03-2007, 10:26 PM
i'd be sad to see him go

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm not.

Yes, Marcus, but you have a basketball brain.

Unfortunately the off-season brings out a lot of posters who see basketball players as contracts or roster slots, not pieces of the jigsaw that is a successful NBA team. They see his name, not his game.

The only question I have about Jackie is his ability to learn the defensive scheme - his offense is already solid and will only improve with Tim teaching him.

He could be a huge part of this team if he can learn his rotations and keep the weight off.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2007, 10:30 PM
I think it's more a recognition that he's a piece that would probably be necessary to get a deal done for a guy like Noc, along with Scola's rights, and Barry for salary matching. He has some value because of his low $ contract, youthful potential, and size.

Good call, however I think many of the posters who see him as expendable see him only as a name on a roster sheet and have no idea about his game.

It would be a pity to lose him, but I guess if it took him to get Nocioni I'd have to agree with that.

I'm just hoping against hope that Scola's rights would do it, but from all the info coming out that is not the case.

whottt
07-03-2007, 10:31 PM
keen

1930 called...it wants it's words back.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-03-2007, 10:34 PM
I hope he does not go, I would love Nocioni but still hate to see Jackie go to get him.

He's our only future big man, and everyone's chode here exploded when we signed him last summer.

spurtime
07-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Good call, however I think many of the posters who see him as expendable see him only as a name on a roster sheet and have no idea about his game.

It would be a pity to lose him, but I guess if it took him to get Nocioni I'd have to agree with that.

I'm just hoping against hope that Scola's rights would do it, but from all the info coming out that is not the case.

He's shown me flashes. He seems to have soft hands and some nice post moves. I also like the fact that he's really young. I'm just not convinced that he'll succeed on this team, so I'm willing to move him for a good player at a position of need.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Butler> every big man alongside Duncan since DRob.

jaespur21
07-03-2007, 10:53 PM
I like his size.....Butler just missed shots this year when he did play. but i felt like just about all his shots had a chance of goin in.

texasqb2
b/c he sucks and he is fat

fuckespn
Butler> every big man alongside Duncan since DRob.
Splitter>Butler just saying

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-03-2007, 11:06 PM
b/c he sucks and he is fat
No he doesn't and he's in shape.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Splitter>Butler just saying
Splitter must be the real shit then.

mowgli
07-03-2007, 11:31 PM
I really hope they don't let him go. He showed great promise on offense in New York, and playing with the Spurs can have only improved his defense. Within the next season or two, I think we'll be happy to have kept him.

michaelwcho
07-03-2007, 11:52 PM
In just about every trade thread there are a multitude of people talking about sending Jackie Butler somewhere else. Why?

/rant

why? Because he couldn't crack the starting lineup on the best team in the league, a team full of veterans of great experience, poise, and skill. So he must be worthless, right?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2007, 11:59 PM
why? Because he couldn't crack the starting lineup on the best team in the league, a team full of veterans of great experience, poise, and skill. So he must be worthless, right?

I know you are being facetious, but that is what annoys me about people who post that he should go. Thank you.

I think he could be the best big man the team has put next to Duncan since David as well. At leats he has the potential to be. Hopefully he'll play this year and we'll get a better read on whether he's got the bball IQ to play here.

tmtcsc
07-04-2007, 12:13 AM

Why the hell are so many people writing him off before he's even shown us what he can do? :wtf

Please stop shafting Jackie before he's even shown us what he has to offer! If he has a low bball IQ and can't work out how to play in the Spurs' system, fine, move him on, but give him a chance to play first!

/rant

This past year, either Johnny Ludden or Buck Harvey wrote a scathing article about Butler. In it, many team sources were cited referring to Jackie being out-of-shape ( he has since dropped weight), aloof, immature and just plain clueless.

When Bonner went down with an injury, Tim had to shout at Jackie to help carry Bonner off the floor. He was just sitting their and not doing anything while Tim jumped up to help.

That was just a small example. The team was willing to move him during the season. Some players just never get it.

objective
07-04-2007, 12:34 AM
Why would anyone expect Butler to get any time that he didn't get last year if everyone is average health-wise?

The team just re-committed themselves to Oberto and Bonner for at least 3 more years. Butler's not jumping them in the rotation. Horry will still get his minutes out of the respect Pop pays him. Elson is solidly ahead of him in the rotation and can't get any worse than he was last year, hell, he might even get better in the system though I doubt it.

Where is Butler supposed to get minutes from?

And if you're thinking he can sit a year and then step in for the 09 season after Horry and Elson are gone, he's going to be so clearly better than Splitter or Mahinmi? Maybe then he could get 10 minutes a game.

And re: the Stephen Jackson Plan, that is more myth than anything.

Stephen Jackson only got a chance to play when both Steve Smith and Manu were hurt. If those two things didn't happen, he never would have played.

So if somehow Oberto and Elson/Horry/Bonner go down for a stretch, maybe then Butler will get a chance.

itzsoweezee
07-04-2007, 01:03 AM
he's too young. spurs are trying to be the all-geezer squad.

fuckespn
07-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Why would anyone expect Butler to get any time that he didn't get last year if everyone is average health-wise?

The team just re-committed themselves to Oberto and Bonner for at least 3 more years. Butler's not jumping them in the rotation. Horry will still get his minutes out of the respect Pop pays him. Elson is solidly ahead of him in the rotation and can't get any worse than he was last year, hell, he might even get better in the system though I doubt it.

And if you're thinking he can sit a year and then step in for the 09 season after Horry and Elson are gone, he's going to be so clearly better than Splitter or Mahinmi? Maybe then he could get 10 minutes a game.

Stephen Jackson only got a chance to play when both Steve Smith and Manu were hurt. If those two things didn't happen, he never would have played.

So if somehow Oberto and Elson/Horry/Bonner go down for a stretch, maybe then Butler will get a chance.

Nah steve smith fucking blew and couldn't guard anyone, thats why jackson started

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-04-2007, 01:20 AM

Because Pop loves to bench players new to the system until they get a clue.

I can see him getting some of Elson's minutes. Elson should only be used when matchups are right.

I'd say give him 15 backup minutes a game in Nov-Dec and see what he has to offer.

ploto
07-04-2007, 01:38 AM
Because the Spurs have been shopping him...

T Park
07-04-2007, 01:52 AM
link?

Dalamar_the_Dark
07-04-2007, 03:33 AM
I cant remember Spurs actively shopping him. All this talk about him being shopped is bullshit imho. I think he could start getting some consistent minutes next season. If he plays well, he will start getting some serious playing time especially to spell Duncan. I think he will be the lost post presence when Duncan sits if the Spurs need some scoring down low cause Oberto and Elson are put back guys.

If he screws up his chances then hes going to be Beno no. 2

Spurs Brazil
07-04-2007, 04:56 AM
I want Butler to stay and play more than Elson

Vito Corleone
07-04-2007, 05:06 AM
Jackie's opportunity to prove he deserves to be on this team will come during the summer league. That is where he must prove he deserves it. If he put up good numbers or atlease looks like an NBA player then we keep him but if he is still fat and clueless then we drop his ass and look for the next project. Darko, maybe.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Well, he's not fat if you've been watching the playoffs.

And as for Darko, no chance. Someone will pay him 6-10mil over 5 years.

timvp
07-04-2007, 07:29 AM
I will withhold my final judgment until after summer leagues. The drafting of Tiago Splitter changes things, but I'll see how Butler does in his first game action in a while before I decide whether or not I believe he'll be in the long term plans.

lotr1trekkie
07-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Me thinks that the Spurs will be showcasing him during the summer league to boost his value. He will be glued to the bench next year also as Elson/Fab share the minutes at center. Pop will be bringing Bonner along to eventually replace Horry. Bonner is about Butler's height, more mobile, a better rebounder and can shoot the 3's. Finally, he attended Virginia Christian Academy a notorious basketball laundering prep academy run by Cornerstone's AD Walter Webb. College was never an option. In today's NCAA that means your not even a caveman. I figure he's gone unless he lights up the summer league with double doubles.

Southwest Texas Fan
07-05-2007, 06:51 PM
I will withhold my final judgment until after summer leagues. The drafting of Tiago Splitter changes things, but I'll see how Butler does in his first game action in a while before I decide whether or not I believe he'll be in the long term plans.

Timvp how’s Splitters defense and could he be a dirk/melo/lebron stopper?

yavozerb
07-05-2007, 06:58 PM

Do you really expect to see big munites from him this year? You mention his game, you mean the 20-30 minutes total he played this last season..The guy has skills and possible upside, but people have saying this about him since hight school and are still waiting!!If it takes him being included to finish off a trade so be it to bring in someone who can fill the rotation!

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Rare is the BIG 5 in today's NBA. Shaq, BWallace, Ilgauskas, and....? Even more rare is the 22 year old.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Do you really expect to see big munites from him this year? You mention his game, you mean the 20-30 minutes total he played this last season..The guy has skills and possible upside, but people have saying this about him since hight school and are still waiting!!If it takes him being included to finish off a trade so be it to bring in someone who can fill the rotation!

No, actually I liked what I saw when he got on the court with the Knicks back in 2005-06.

As I said, give him 15 minutes as a backup early in the season - he can't really do any harm in November - and we'll get to see whether he can play in the Spurs' system.

smrattler
07-05-2007, 09:23 PM
I recall we had Bonner hurt and I think maybe Elson too at the same time. Basically, we were desperate in the middle of the season to get things turned around and desperate for a center and PF. What did we get? Horry playing full time for a few games and playing smaller. This is months into the season and Pop didn't even think he was good enough to throw out there in desperate circumstances.

Even White got on the floor more for a few valuable mins this year!

With what little I've seen of him, I am not impressed in the least. He's short for a center and can't jump higher than TD, not a defensive presence, and deosn't move ver fluidly, fast or quick.

BigBeezie
07-05-2007, 11:07 PM
I want to see the guy play. I mean, he didn't even get a chance last year...and according to other players, he has worked hard.