PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Sonics raid Spurs for Carlesimo

Solid D
07-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Is "Mike Bud" next in line? See bold section of article below.
---------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA070407.01C.BKNspurs.carlesimo.3573e40.html
Sonics raid Spurs for Carlesimo

Web Posted: 07/04/2007 12:06 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Borrowing from the blueprint the Cleveland Cavaliers used to reach last month's NBA Finals, the Seattle Supersonics continue to borrow from the Spurs, deciding to hire P.J. Carlesimo as their new head coach, an NBA source said Tuesday.
Carlesimo has spent the previous five seasons as an assistant on the staff of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. Seattle is expected to announce the hiring Thursday afternoon after the Fourth of July holiday.

Seattle's new owner, Clay Bennett — a former member of the Spurs' ownership group — has used the Spurs as a model to remake the Sonics. Last month, Bennett hired Spurs assistant general manager Sam Presti to oversee the Sonics' front office.

Bennett and Presti made the decision to hire Carlesimo after meeting again with him Tuesday. Carlesimo, who didn't return a message left on his cell phone, had an initial interview with Presti before last week's draft and then met with Bennett for the first time on Friday.

With the Sonics in the midst of a rebuilding project centered around former Texas forward Kevin Durant, Seattle officials wanted to make sure Carlesimo felt confident coaching a young team, so they invited him back for another meeting Tuesday. Carlesimo apparently allayed any concerns Bennett or Presti may have had.

Spurs officials are reserving comment until the Sonics publicly announce the hiring.

Carlesimo was hired over former Seattle assistant Dwane Casey. Two years ago, the Minnesota Timberwolves hired Casey as their head coach when Carlesimo also was a finalist for the job.

Carlesimo and Presti aren't the only changes Seattle has made. Since taking over as the NBA's youngest general manager, the 30-year-old Presti has traded Ray Allen to Boston on a draft-night deal that netted the Sonics rookie forward Jeff Green and guards Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak. Presti is now preparing to replace forward Rashard Lewis, who has committed to sign with Orlando.

Carlesimo has previously been head coach at Golden State and Portland. The Warriors fired him midway through the 1999-2000 season, a little more than two years after Latrell Sprewell choked him during a practice.

The much-publicized incident damaged Carlesimo's reputation and led him to spend two seasons as a TV analyst before joining Popovich's staff in September 2002.

Regarded then as a fiery coach whose unyielding style grated on players, Carlesimo has softened some after changes to his professional and personal lives. He has since married and he and his wife, Carolyn, have two young boys: Kyle and Casey.

Carlesimo, whose 19-year college coaching career included leading Seton Hall to the 1989 NCAA title game, also said he has better learned how to manage players after coaching alongside Popovich. He had a good relationship with the Spurs and his razor-sharp wit made him popular among the team's staff.

In less than a month, Popovich and Spurs general manager R.C. Buford have each lost their top assistants. Buford hired Dennis Lindsey, the Houston Rockets' former vice president of basketball operations, to replace Presti as assistant general manager.

Popovich, who personally called Bennett to recommend Carlesimo, is expected to fill the vacancy on his staff internally. Mike Budenholzer has been Popovich's most trusted aide, having served under him for each of his 11 seasons, and is more than qualified to be the lead assistant. Brett Brown, the team's director of player development, could then move to the bench as an assistant.
With the Spurs having won four championships in nine seasons, Popovich and Buford have become accustomed to having to replace staff members. The Cavaliers, beaten by the Spurs in the NBA Finals, have been called "Spurs East" after hiring Danny Ferry as their general manager and Mike Brown, another of Popovich's assistants, as their head coach.

If the Cavaliers are any indication, Presti and Carlesimo also may seek to hire additional Spurs staff members, whether they be from the team's basketball operations, business operations or TV departments.

At the news conference to introduce Presti, Bennett said, "I view the San Antonio Spurs as the premier franchise in our business."

P.J. CARLESIMO
He joined the Spurs in 2002 after spending two years as an NBC TV analyst. He spent six years as an NBA head coach after a 19-year college career (291-272) at three schools, most notably Seton Hall.

Professional record

Year Team Record Postseason

1994-95 Portland 44-38 0-3

1995-96 Portland 44-38 2-3

1996-97 Portland 49-33 1-3

1997-98 Golden State 19-63 —

1998-99 Golden State 21-29 —

1999-00 Golden State 6-21 —
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

BeerIsGood!
07-04-2007, 12:51 AM
I guess Kori is exstatic about this news.

Good for PJ. He finally get's another chance, and with some tools to work with.

So now there are the Spurs, Spurs East, and Spurs West. We may get this league back to respectable basketball yet... one team at a time.

Tek_XX
07-04-2007, 12:56 AM
At the end of the day it's about Tim Duncan, and no team can have him.

milkyway21
07-04-2007, 01:21 AM
Seattle's new owner, Clay Bennett — a former member of the Spurs' ownership group — has used the Spurs as a model to remake the Sonics. Last month, Bennett hired Spurs assistant general manager Sam Presti to oversee the Sonics' front office.

what a better way to start re-building a team but looking through the successful strategic planning of the champion's organization.

Popovich, who personally called Bennett to recommend Carlesimo:tu to Pop for not being selfish.

Mike B. could be the next asst. Five yrs.? that's why he's always around when I watch those championship DVDs or NBA features of this team.

are they planning still to relocate their team out of Seattle?

spurscenter
07-04-2007, 02:05 AM
great

OldDirtMcGirt
07-04-2007, 02:45 AM
Good for him. I always thought that PJ got a bad rep for all of that Sprewell bullshit.

milkyway21
07-04-2007, 03:20 AM
Casey was quoted very disappointed missing the job..
----------------
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApaARgMsCbGSGW.iyGL0vuG8vLYF?slug=ap-supersonics-coach&prov=ap&type=lgns

Carlesimo and former Minnesota coach Dwane Casey have been considered front-runners for the Seattle job. Casey told The Associated Press on Tuesday evening that he was informed by the Sonics they were going with another candidate. Casey said he was not told who the choice was.

"They said they were going in a different direction and that I made it a tough decision," said Casey, a former assistant in Seattle. "I'm disappointed."

Seattle general manager Sam Presti, who spent the last seven years working in the Spurs' organization before becoming Seattle's GM on June 7, was traveling and unavailable for comment.

hope Coach P.J. will bring more wins for Sonics this yr. That Minny job last yr was meant for him if not for KG rejecting him.

Vito Corleone
07-04-2007, 05:20 AM
I guess Kori is exstatic about this news.

Good for PJ. He finally get's another chance, and with some tools to work with.

So now there are the Spurs, Spurs East, and Spurs West. We may get this league back to respectable basketball yet... one team at a time.

That won't really happen until the big market icon teams New York, Boston, and LA pull their heads out of thier ass.

YoMamaIsCallin
07-04-2007, 07:09 AM
I like that Popovich actively seeks and encourages head coaching opportunities for his assistants. It makes recruiting new assistants much more effective if they know that Popovich has their career goals in mind.

ATRAIN
07-04-2007, 08:24 AM
im happy for PJ

ObiwanGinobili
07-04-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm glad PJ is gettign his 2nd chance :tu about time. I alway felt he got a bad rap on that Sprewell bullshit. It's not his fault Sprewell is a crazy bastard.

2centsworth
07-04-2007, 08:46 AM
What took that Punk Presti so long?

samikeyp
07-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Glad to see it.

PJ has been out of the first chair too long. :tu

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Ugh. Brett Brown. Can we please look outside the team for an assistant that is great at offensive x's and o's?

justanotherspursfan
07-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Ugh. Brett Brown.

What's wrong with Brett Brown?

MrChug
07-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Someone comment on Brett Brown!!! Don't know anything about him.

Solid D
07-04-2007, 11:15 AM
From the Spurs 2006-07 Media Guide

BRETT BROWN
ASSISTANT COACH/DIRECTOR OF PLAYER DEVELOPMENT

Joined the Spurs in July of 2002 after spending 14 seasons coaching in the
Australian National Basketball League … in nine seasons as a head coach in the NBL, amassed 149 career victories (the sixth highest total in NBL history) … started as an assistant coach with the Melbourne Tigers under Lindsay Gaze … was named head coach of the North Melbourne Giants in 1993 … earned NBL Coach of the Year honors in 1994 when he led the Giants to the National Championship … spent the 1998-99 season working in the Spurs Basketball Operations Department … then returned to Australia as the head coach of the Sydney Kings … after three seasons with the Kings he re-joined the Spurs … served as an assistant coach for the Australian National Team for eight years (including both the 1996 and 2000 Olympic Games as well as the 1998 World Championships) … son of New England Basketball Hall of Fame Coach, Bob Brown … played four seasons at Boston University under Rick Pitino … named team MVP his sophomore year and served as team captain in both his junior and senior seasons … met and married his wife, Anna, in Australia
… they have two daughters, Julia and Laura, and a son, Sam.

Mark in Austin
07-04-2007, 11:51 AM
I wonder if PJ and Presti have their eyes on other Spurs employees, or if loyalty/gratitude keeps them from pulling away too many from SA?

exstatic
07-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I wonder if PJ and Presti have their eyes on other Spurs employees, or if loyalty/gratitude keeps them from pulling away too many from SA?
Well, for most of them, I'd imagine Seattle would need permission, and Pop/RC won't just let them gut the organization.

When Ferry went to Cleveland (2005), Mike Brown was already several years gone from the Spurs(2003), and Blanks wasn't particularly valued after the Romain Sato debacle and his shitty color commentary putting even SA viewers to sleep on the telecasts.

Mark in Austin
07-04-2007, 12:23 PM
...and Blanks wasn't particularly valued after the Romain Sato debacle and his shitty color commentary putting even SA viewers to sleep on the telecasts.

:lol True. He was the worst color commentator ever.

I guess what I was getting at is Pop has clearly not stood in the way of people advancing beyond the org. If there are some other "rising stars" that have been identified internally, but because of all the hype Presti got we've never heard about them in the general public. If there is a concern they are being targeted too.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2007, 12:26 PM
What's wrong with Brett Brown?

Brett Brown, Director of Player Development.

He did such a good job of improving the team's shooting (particularly at the FT line) that we had to go out and hire Chip Engelland to come in and fix things.

Brett is good when it comes to scouting and summer league. I don't want to see him on the bench for this team.

T Park
07-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Ignore Aggie, Im sure hes pontificating about Brett Brown not developing anyone, of course when the players get interviewed, whos the first one they talk about helping with their game and helping them develop, work extra, was Brett Brown.

Nothing wrong with Brett Brown, and Mike Bud finally gets the call up.

Props Mike Bud :tu

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Ignore Aggie, Im sure hes pontificating about Brett Brown not developing anyone, of course when the players get interviewed, whos the first one they talk about helping with their game and helping them develop, work extra, was Brett Brown.

Nothing wrong with Brett Brown, and Mike Bud finally gets the call up.

Props Mike Bud :tu

Brett Brown does a great job of rebounding made shots in practices and staying late with them. Doesn't mean he should be a bench coach in the NBA.

And again, the Spurs free throw shooting actually had gotten WORSE the final three years Brett was in charge of that department, it took Engelland coming in to swing that trend in the right direction.

Typical Tpark, disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

Solid D
07-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Mike Budenholzer has been an assistant for Pop in each of the 4 championships. Brett Brown has also been with the Spurs for all four championships, although the first one in 1998-99, Brett was working more in the Front Office in Operations.

exstatic
07-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Bret Brown's inability to be a shot doctor may or may not have anything to do with Xs and Os. Englland is the shot doctor, and I'm not sure he should be any further up the bench. He may not know Xs and Os, either, but I don't want him going anywhere. Bret's probably earned a shot at that #3 bench spot.

picnroll
07-04-2007, 01:26 PM
It seems like Budenholzer has been number two, right behind Pop, decision making-wise with or without the title. When they huddle in games it's he and Pop talking to each other most of the time.

Make Engelland happy. He has a lot of work to do with Splitter, Mahinmi and possibly Williams.

florige
07-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Well, for most of them, I'd imagine Seattle would need permission, and Pop/RC won't just let them gut the organization.

When Ferry went to Cleveland (2005), Mike Brown was already several years gone from the Spurs(2003), and Blanks wasn't particularly valued after the Romain Sato debacle and his shitty color commentary putting even SA viewers to sleep on the telecasts.

Romain Sato debacle? I've beem always meaning to ask about that???

exstatic
07-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Romain Sato debacle? I've beem always meaning to ask about that???
Blanks was the catalyst for drafting him. He was horrible.