PDA

View Full Version : if they bring back the same roster, do the spurs repeat?

td4mvp3
07-04-2007, 09:15 AM
i certainly don't think so. :depressed

Hook Dem
07-04-2007, 09:28 AM
There were a lot of "experts" that didn't think it possible this year!

mowgli
07-04-2007, 09:29 AM
I think we're okay as long as our main rivals don't make any significant improvements.

michaelwcho
07-04-2007, 09:36 AM
The West is too good for us to be favored to repeat, but we would be too good to not have a decent chance.

xmas1997
07-04-2007, 09:48 AM
I think we are forgetting that Butler, White, and Elson have had practically a year under their belts now and hopefully will contribute a lot more than they did last season.

Yes, this time I think we repeat with what we have. Who can beat us?????????

And if Williams improves in the Austin NBDL, or on the Spurs, whichever, then there is a lot to look forward to.

td4mvp3
07-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I think we are forgetting that Butler, White, and Elson have had practically a year under their belts now and hopefully will contribute a lot more than they did last season.

Yes, this time I think we repeat with what we have. Who can beat us?????????

And if Williams improves in the Austin NBDL, or on the Spurs, whichever, then there is a lot to look forward to.
suns came awfully close, mavs pulled it off last year, pistons took us to 7 year before.

Ken Loomis
07-04-2007, 10:08 AM
With your old as shit roster in tact, the Spurs will be lucky to push the Mavs 6-7 games if they are to meet in the playoffs. The spurs are seriously fucked. They dont have as much athleticism as us which spells trouble for them. If they want to improve their chances, they are going to have to upgrade their athleticism.

djohn14
07-04-2007, 10:09 AM
To be honest, I didn't think we could do it this year. I was wrong. I do think Elson will have a better year. He is too athletic not to. I don't know how much better, but it will be better.

justanotherspursfan
07-04-2007, 10:10 AM
With your old as shit roster in tact, the Spurs will be lucky to push the Mavs 6-7 games if they are to meet in the playoffs. The spurs are seriously fucked. They dont have as much athleticism as us which spells trouble for them. If they want to improve their chances, they are going to have to upgrade their athleticism.

Well, since the Mavs have to get out of the first round for us to meet up, I'm not too worried. :lol

xmas1997
07-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Well, since the Mavs have to get out of the first round for us to meet up, I'm not too worried. :lol

:lol :rollin
Now that is funny!!!!!!!!!

No, it's friggin' hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But oh so true!

justanotherspursfan
07-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Add Bonner to that list, for that matter.

The real question is what all that adds up to. Are any of those guys difference-makers, or are they fringe NBA players? I think at least one or two of those guys needs to step up and prove he's a lot better than people thought, the way Oberto did last year.

Because the flip side of these guys getting another year of experience is that Horry, Finley, Barry, and Bowen are another year closer to the end of their careers. EDIT: I forgot Vaughn.

Overall, I like the fact that we went out last year and found some new blood that managed to get in a redshirt year while we won a title. The question is, can they be genuine game changers when the heat's turned up and the season's on the line?

xmas1997
07-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Why do I get the feeling the Mavs remind me of the Wolves? (both are "wannabes" and "also-rans")

Punkkboy44
07-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Spurs must play and incorporate their younger players into the mix..Berry and Horry and JV..omg..ancient not old..Elson has talent...Oberto can create more..there is hope but Pop must let younger players contribute! As was said before..FREE JAMES WHITE!

romain.star
07-04-2007, 10:40 AM

with your pussy as shit roster in tact, the Mavs will be lucky to push the Warriors 5 game if they are to meet in the playoffs. The mavs are seriously fucked. The don't have as much balls as us which spells trouble for them. If they want to improve their chances, they are going to have to upgrade their balls

mowgli
07-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Spurs must play and incorporate their younger players into the mix..Berry and Horry and JV..omg..ancient not old..Elson has talent...Oberto can create more..there is hope but Pop must let younger players contribute! As was said before..FREE JAMES WHITE!
I agree. If the players are going to contribute, we should see what they are actually capable of during important possessions. I'm hoping this is the year players like Butler and White can get a little run.

Creation88
07-04-2007, 11:01 AM
i'm not as worried this coming year as i would '09 if the same roster comes back. we need to add at least 1 player out of FA to help.

i'm still not sold on Vaughn as a back up PG. and i agree we need some serious help from the younger talent so we can start molding them for the system.

Punkkboy44
07-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Anyone who aint seen James White on youtube MUST check him out!!!!!!

gaKNOW!blee
07-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Anyone who aint seen James White on youtube MUST check him out!!!!!!
James White (http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ZtyZWmOLOQ)

SAGambler
07-04-2007, 01:18 PM
The West is too good for us to be favored to repeat, but we would be too good to not have a decent chance.

I thought Spurs and Mavs were already co favorites to win it all again next year.

Fast Dunk
07-04-2007, 01:28 PM
if they bring back the same roster, do the spurs repeat?

No way Jose!!!

NOPE!!!!

Borosai
07-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Yes.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2007, 01:31 PM
No way Jose!!!

NOPE!!!!
His name is td4mvp3. Not Jose. Where the hell do you get that from?

Creation88
07-04-2007, 01:37 PM
why is everyone so obsessed with James White?

i don't care how many videos youtube has of him dunking the ball. those dunks will never happen in real-time NBA play, if he can't shoot, dribble, or play defense he deserves his current spot on the team . . . bench.

fuckespn
07-04-2007, 01:39 PM

i don't care how many videos youtube has of him dunking the ball. those dunks will never happen in real-time NBA play, if he can't shoot, dribble, or play defense he deserves his current spot on the team . . . bench.
He can shoot, dribble and play defense

MrChug
07-04-2007, 01:39 PM
suns came awfully close, mavs pulled it off last year, pistons took us to 7 year before.

You're going in circles. That wasn't your question. You're talking about THIS roster NEXT year. What do last year and the year before that have to do with that? Nothing.

And FYI...beating a team in 6 games where we beat them by an average of over 8 points does not make it "awfully close".

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2007, 01:40 PM

i don't care how many videos youtube has of him dunking the ball. those dunks will never happen in real-time NBA play.
He did one in his first game.

HJNTX
07-04-2007, 01:43 PM

You should realize by now, the MAVS only know how to CHOKE .. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

td4mvp3
07-04-2007, 02:03 PM
You're going in circles. That wasn't your question. You're talking about THIS roster NEXT year. What do last year and the year before that have to do with that? Nothing.

And FYI...beating a team in 6 games where we beat them by an average of over 8 points does not make it "awfully close".
i think every spurs fan recognizes that the phoenix games were close, or at least they should recognize it. is it beyond the realm of possibility that with diaw and amare in game 4, the game after they had just beaten the spurs at home, that the suns can take game 5? or that with nash in the line up of game 1, that one may have been lost? so yeah, i say they came close. and it's not going in circles when answering someone's question regarding who else is going to stop us. i just pointed out who else was out there capable of pulling off the feat and, what's more, i already said i don't think the current roster can repeat.

Vito Corleone
07-04-2007, 02:10 PM
I want this thread archived and brought back up in one year so that one side can eat a little crow. I will call my shot, I think the Spurs repeat.

Darkwaters
07-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Looking at how rosters are shaping up for next season I think the Spurs probably have as good of a shot as anybody. I'd say the Spurs and Suns probably have an equal opportunity at the title (assuming the Suns don't do something completely foolish via trade) and it really could go either way if they play again. Next, I think if the Bulls can land either Scola or Darko that they'd be the 3rd most likely. Their route through the east will be far easier than anything out west...especially with the decline of the Pistons and the fact that the Cavs don't seem to be improving at all (and might even take a step back if they lose Varejao). My 4th choice is Dallas, but unless they can get either some post scoring or a set of balls, I don't see them competing. They might get to the finals, but I don't think they beat the Bulls if they load up as previously stated.

So, do the Spurs have a chance to repeat? Definitely. But the team we have to fear is Phoenix. And if our chemistry only gets better then I think we have a good shot. If we pull down a player like Nocioni...we've got a REALLY good chance.

florige
07-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Looking at how rosters are shaping up for next season I think the Spurs probably have as good of a shot as anybody. I'd say the Spurs and Suns probably have an equal opportunity at the title (assuming the Suns don't do something completely foolish via trade) and it really could go either way if they play again. Next, I think if the Bulls can land either Scola or Darko that they'd be the 3rd most likely. Their route through the east will be far easier than anything out west...especially with the decline of the Pistons and the fact that the Cavs don't seem to be improving at all (and might even take a step back if they lose Varejao). My 4th choice is Dallas, but unless they can get either some post scoring or a set of balls, I don't see them competing. They might get to the finals, but I don't think they beat the Bulls if they load up as previously stated.

So, do the Spurs have a chance to repeat? Definitely. But the team we have to fear is Phoenix. And if our chemistry only gets better then I think we have a good shot. If we pull down a player like Nocioni...we've got a REALLY good chance.

Oh yeah if we manage to get Nocioni I REALLY like our chances to repeat. I still see our main nemesis being Dallas and Phx. I think Dallas chances lay squarely on how Dirk responds to that embarrassment that he went through,.

ancestron
07-04-2007, 03:23 PM
San Antonio Spurs 2008 NBA champs--book it.

This will be the first time they actually pull off the repeat. Everyone is always saying we need to be younger, we need more athleticism, we need James White and some other headband wearing dunker who is skinny. Man forget that nonsense. EXACT same crap everyone was saying after Dallas barely edged out the Spurs last year. I got three words for you--Tim Motherfuckin' Duncan. I got three more words for you--Tony Fuckin Parker--I got three more words for you still. Manu Motherfuckin' Ginobili. You think these guys dont want to repeat? You think they dont realize that with every passing year their chances get slimmer? You think they don't want to cement the Spurs as a true dynasty and shut up all the doubters? You think they don't want to finally defend their title successfully? With all the accomplishments the Spurs have over the last 10 years, repeating is the one that has eluded them. Do the math.

td4mvp3
07-04-2007, 03:30 PM

This will be the first time they actually pull off the repeat. Everyone is always saying we need to be younger, we need more athleticism, we need James White and some other headband wearing dunker who is skinny. Man forget that nonsense. EXACT same crap everyone was saying after Dallas barely edged out the Spurs last year. I got three words for you--Tim Motherfuckin' Duncan. I got three more words for you--Tony Fuckin Parker--I got three more words for you still. Manu Motherfuckin' Ginobili. You think these guys dont want to repeat? You think they dont realize that with every passing year their chances get slimmer? You think they don't want to cement the Spurs as a true dynasty and shut up all the doubters? You think they don't want to finally defend their title successfully? With all the accomplishments the Spurs have over the last 10 years, repeating is the one that has eluded them. Do the math.
those three words were here in 04 and 06.

ancestron
07-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah, thats the spirit

td4mvp3
07-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Yeah, thats the spirit
i'm a pessimist. i didn't think the spurs would get it this year and most folks didn't judging by a prediction thread that someone dredged up not too long ago. going against utah instead of the mavs was a break; going against the cavs instead of the pistons was a break. i don't see us getting those breaks next year plus phoenix will likely chain every player to their chair whenever they are on the bench just to be safe.

SpursDynasty
07-04-2007, 03:47 PM
i certainly don't think so. :depressed

Yet another example of the the value of the NBA Championship these days to fans....

Face it guys, the trophy hasn't gotten any respect since 2002...What's the point of having the NBA playoffs anymore, right?

Starting in 2003, everytime a team wins it, we hear "They won't win the championship next year" or "They won't win the championship again". I mean, the trophy pretty much loses it's value the next morning and people say "Oh it's not about last year, the NBA is about TODAY". In 2003, everyone said the Spurs wouldn't win it again yet they have done it twice more.

So unless the Suns or Mavericks win it, the NBA championship is worthless, based on what I've read here.

Fast Dunk
07-04-2007, 04:29 PM

:nope

coachmac87
07-04-2007, 05:11 PM
it all depends if the spurs have a healthy season. that was a big key for us winning it all this year. if duncan is healthy like he was last year going into the playoffs then the spurs should be favorites going into the playoffs..because we all kno nobody will make them favorites at the start of the season. and since it looks like the spurs are just gonna "wing it" this offseason, pop really needs to give bonner, and whoever makes the team (white/williams) an oppurtunity to play..we know what barry,horry,and finley can do for us...i honestly can see barry losing alot of pt early in the season and the spurs tryin to ship em out by the deadline...i think its 50/50 on if the spurs can repeat...its honestly a coin flip..ya the mavs beat us in 7...but it took them 7 games to beat us with a unhealthy tim duncan...and dont forget about tony parker..i think this upcoming year will be his best yet...he thinks he is on top of the world and he will expand his range(shooting more 3's)...spurs need luck(health) and commitment from the young role players in order to repeat

itzsoweezee
07-04-2007, 05:22 PM

don't forget finley and bowen. the spurs are full of geezers and aren't doing enough to bring in QUALITY young talent. white and butler could potentially fit the bill, but they might not even be on the roster next year. morris almond would've looked great in a spurs uniform.

HJNTX
07-04-2007, 05:24 PM
I want this thread archived and brought back up in one year so that one side can eat a little crow. I will call my shot, I think the Spurs repeat.
:clap

Switchman
07-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Nocioni=Repeat.

Otherwise. I do not see them repeating.

How can we even guess close when the Mavs got knocked out early and the Suns series broke into a fucking circus.

But after seeing the Mavs choke once again, and the Suns all-star get suspended...anything can happen.

pad300
07-04-2007, 07:08 PM
I will say that I would be more comfortable with a real SF, rather than the collection of SG's that we have. The biggest threat to knock us off is the Mavs, because their roster was built with the sole goal of defeating us, and Dirk has repeatedly and consistently demonstrated that athletic 6'8" - 6'10" big SF's are just about optimal defenders on him. If they are agressive with him, he becomes very passive, and the Mavs fold with him...

duncan228
07-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Aside from all the roster conversations about the Spurs and anyone else...

If Duncan comes into training camp in the shape he did this year, physically and mentally, they repeat.

If his goal is to repeat he will do it, with the same roster or a tweaked roster and regardless of what other teams do. He showed us this season what his team is capable of when he's heathly and hungry. The repeat is missing on his resume and this is his year to do it.

objective
07-04-2007, 07:29 PM
The Spurs seem content to stand in place while other teams are trying to get better. Considering the age related breakdowns that have a good chance of ocurring with so many of the players (Horry, Finley, Barry, Bowen), that seems an unwise strategy from the outside looking in.

Ariel
07-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Of course the Spurs can repeat whether they make any additional moves or not. But it still bothers me though that sometimes you'd get the feeling that because things went right, then there's no need for adjustments; that's as stupid as wanting to overhaul the team when it goes wrong. We're still a couple of pieces away from being truly complete. If somehow we managed to pluck away Nocioni from Chicago and a backup PG, only a serious injury to one of the big 3 could keep us from repeating. Maybe not even that, if we weren't talking Duncan. But still, we're in pretty good shape anyway, so no sweat.

Mr. Body
07-04-2007, 08:10 PM
The idea that the Spurs aren't making big adjustments because things went right this year isn't quite on mark: they didn't make big adjustments last year, either, after things went wrong.

BigZak
07-04-2007, 08:17 PM
why not?

but i'd like to see our spurs beat dallas, phoenix (with amare and kg) and shaq to do it!!!

that would be something. :cheer

bdictjames
07-04-2007, 08:19 PM
So the Spurs are still underdogs to the Suns and Mavs?

justanotherspursfan
07-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Nocioni=Repeat.

Otherwise. I do not see them repeating.

How can we even guess close when the Mavs got knocked out early and the Suns series broke into a fucking circus.

But after seeing the Mavs choke once again, and the Suns all-star get suspended...anything can happen.

The Spurs didn't have as tough a road as usual this year, but this was a tough team with a killer instinct. They dispatched Denver, Utah, and Cleveland handily, and even if they caught a couple of breaks against Phoenix, they still managed to put them away in 6.

We'll never know how they would have fared against Dallas, but that's the fault of the Mavs. I'm sure we'll get a better look at them next year, and I don't see any reason to bet against the Spurs.

LavaLamp
07-04-2007, 09:00 PM
If they want to improve their chances, they are going to have to upgrade their athleticism.

Added athleticism never hurts a team, but:

High BB IQ >>> Raw athleticism

phxspurfan
07-04-2007, 11:38 PM
We don't need to acquire any marquee FAs this year. Our stars are about to get a couple months' rest (esp. Gino, after opting out of the world championships). And, if Phoenix gets rid of Kurt Thomas, I'd say we have a 50% chance to come out of the west (with Dallas and Phoenix as 25% chances each), because there is no stopping a healthy TD.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-04-2007, 11:43 PM
It's all about injuries, but HELL YES, unless Minne unloads Garnett to the Suns or Mavs for chump change, then it'll be a fight.

We have the best TEAM in the NBA. They are veteran, battle-tested and showed incredible composure all playoffs.

We also have Butler, Bonner and White just waiting to make a contribution.

Barring major injuries or a Minne meltdown, we will do it.

Xylus
07-05-2007, 01:13 AM
It's an even-numbered year, so no doubt an Eastern Conference team will win it all.

My money's on the 76ers.

Avitus1
07-05-2007, 01:30 AM
If they can get more help off the bench I say.... YES!!!

SRJ
07-05-2007, 04:39 AM
I don't see how the roster stays 100% intact from this year to next, though I don't think meant literally the same roster.

Only one team concerns me - Dallas. Laugh about the Golden State or Miami series if you want to, but Dallas is designed to beat the Spurs. I'm not saying they definitely will, but they will have the best chance.

I'm not terribly worried about the Rockets with Adelman at the helm. Utah is obviously up and coming, but I get the feeling they're still in the second tier below Dallas and the Spurs. Phoenix has proven repeatedly that the Spurs are in their heads, and what's more, Marion's very likely gone and Nash isn't getting any younger. If - and it's a big if - they win the Garnett sweepstakes, it's a whole new ballgame.

If health is on our side and we get through Dallas, the repeat is a virtual lock.

hsxvvd
07-05-2007, 04:48 AM
We've had a very good run without Injury? I should shut up now shouldn't I... Sorry :(

raspsa
07-05-2007, 05:17 AM
If the team peaks at the right time and remains injury free, they are capable of repeating.

ArgSpursFan
07-05-2007, 08:32 AM
It depends,If we donīt have to play Dallas and they get eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round,yes.
If we play Dallas with the same roster without bringing a Longer SF capable to Guard Dirk(Nocioni/Pietrus/someone else)I doubt it.
We really got lucky lat season when the Mavs choked in the 1st round.