PDA

View Full Version : Vecsey: SHINING A-SPUR-ATIONS

Kori Ellis
12-07-2004, 03:42 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/32571.htm

December 7, 2004 --

LOST in the reams of replays of players running into the stands are the San Antonio Spurs running away in the standings. Lookity, lookity, NBA holiday shoppers, the Alamo Alliance entered last night's game at Chicago owning seven consecutive wins and a franchise-best start 15-3.

The most recent conquest was Saturday night's 21-point barbecue of the Bucks . . . in Milwaukee . . . shooting 57 percent . . . playing a fourth game in five nights.

(The Buckling Unders, relying way too much on Michael Redd's offense and conceptionally defective at the defensive end, have dropped nine of 10, but that's a sad-sack story for some other semester.)

San Antonio is not just beating opponents; it's beating 'em up so badly dental records aren't even helpful in recognizing them. During this run they've dominated by an average of 19.4 points, including a pair (Utah and Philly, both at home) of 33-point pastings.

Long regarded as stylish squatters in the upper echelon of league defense, the Spurs began the week ranking first in fewest points allowed (84.6 ppg) and opponents' field goal percentage (40.8. Oh, yes. For his part, the nauseatingly nimble Tim Duncan is averaging 22.1 (ninth in league scoring) and 12.8 boards, second to Kevin Garnett.

Had just about any other assemblage been this assertive this season — both Phoenix and Sacramento entered this week having won 10-of-11 — the phrase "peaking way too soon" would be the operative phrase. Yet, when you have two rings at your disposal (even J-Lo takes notice) and the planet's pluperfect player as your centerpiece, there is no such thing as a poorly timed pillage.

"Professionalism," is how Gregg Popovich describes his ensemble, three games up on Dallas in the spanking-new Southwest Division.

How special are the Spurs? So special, Rafer (Madness) Alston says he can see himself fitting in snugly.

boutons
12-07-2004, 05:14 AM
"Rafer (Madness) Alston says he can see himself fitting in snugly"

Rafer (I-think-I'm-Badness punkass cheapshot dickhead) Alson said what?

Useruser666
12-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Alston actually said something like that Kori?

Jimcs50
12-07-2004, 11:36 AM
What player would not want to go from a loser to SA?

Kori Ellis
12-07-2004, 11:37 AM
I don't know if Rafer said that. It's a Peter Vecsey article, so there's not a good chance any of it is true. :lol

Jimcs50
12-07-2004, 11:39 AM
I don't know if Rafer said that. It's a Peter Vecsey article, so there's not a good chance any of it is true. :lol

What are you saying Kori ? Peter = Prankster II

Useruser666
12-07-2004, 11:40 AM
I think we should pick him up as our towel boy. It would be Full Metal Jacket all over again with him and pop. DiD anyone else see Iverson walk off the court the other night and leave the ball sitting there for a back court violation?

Rummpd
12-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Vescey and good things about something in NBA especially Spurs, expect SAS, Walton to join the train eventually.

MadDoc

ChumpDumper
12-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Alston actually said something like that Kori?I didn't read his saying anything about SA in particular, but he was longing for his old situation in Miami -- which isn't too different from the current Spurs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-07-2004, 01:54 PM
I thought this was a decent piece by Vecsey until I got to the Rafter comment. WTF?

Medvedenko
12-07-2004, 04:55 PM
He's being sarcastic...Rafer's comments after the game, when he said he doesn't fit in the Raps or the L. PV is saying that the Spurs are the ultimate team, and EVEN rafer could fit in with the spurs...

RobinsontoDuncan
12-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Wow, does he ever like alliteration, must be a menecing mastermind with mesmorizing and muscular vocabulary, or, maybe his keyboard malfunctioned.