PDA

View Full Version : Why Bonner?

Twisted_Dawg
07-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Maybe I am clueless, but why did the Spurs sign Bonner to a 3 year deal for $9 million? He might be a nice guy and team guy, but the man is slow and plodding. His defense is terrible. He rarely got off the bench during the regular season and was invisible during the playoffs. His only positive is his outside shooting. I shudder to think if we had some injuries, the thought of Bonner playing 20+ minutes per night. Hell, I shudder to think about Bonner on the court against either Dallas or Phoenix.

Might we have used that $3 million per season and sweetened it with another $3 million and tried to sign an athletic swing guy like Matt Barnes, Mo Pete, or Gerald Wallace? I know what some of you will say---none of those guys will sign for the MLE. But how do we know they would not want to come here to play with Tim?

I just do not get Pop's infatuation with Bonner.

RobinsontoDuncan
07-04-2007, 10:22 AM
ive never seen him play, is his defense really terrible?

xmas1997
07-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Maybe I am clueless, but why did the Spurs sign Bonner to a 3 year deal for $9 million? He might be a nice guy and team guy, but the man is slow and plodding. His defense is terrible. He rarely got off the bench during the regular season and was invisible during the playoffs. His only positive is his outside shooting. I shudder to think if we had some injuries, the thought of Bonner playing 20+ minutes per night. Hell, I shudder to think about Bonner on the court against either Dallas or Phoenix.

Might we have used that $3 million per season and sweetened it with another $3 million and tried to sign an athletic swing guy like Matt Barnes, Mo Pete, or Gerald Wallace? I know what some of you will say---none of those guys will sign for the MLE. But how do we know they would not want to come here to play with Tim?

The only answer anyone can conjecture at this point is to look back a year at what people were saying about Oberto, basically the same exact things.
We shall see what we shall see, but I think we'll see a much better Spurs team with that years' learning curve over with.

ArgSpursFan
07-04-2007, 10:34 AM
High BBIQ and hustle.not bad for 3M p/yr.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Maybe I am clueless, but why did the Spurs sign Bonner to a 3 year deal for $9 million? He might be a nice guy and team guy, but the man is slow and plodding. His defense is terrible. He rarely got off the bench during the regular season and was invisible during the playoffs.

That's what happens when you get injured. You tend to stay on the bench.

Might we have used that $3 million per season and sweetened it with another $3 million and tried to sign an athletic swing guy like Matt Barnes, Mo Pete, or Gerald Wallace? I know what some of you will say---none of those guys will sign for the MLE.

No, what we're going to say is you obviously don't know a damn thing about the salary cap, or how much we could offer someone this season (hint: your 3+3 million idea wouldn't work).

spurtime
07-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Bonner showed some really nice flashes this season, especially with his work on the offensive glass. I see him as insurance for the strong possibility that Horry won't be effective next season. Pop really likes to have a PF/C who can draw out his defender.

Twisted_Dawg
07-04-2007, 10:47 AM
No, what we're going to say is you obviously don't know a damn thing about the salary cap, or how much we could offer someone this season (hint: your 3+3 million idea wouldn't work).

So you are saying we cannot offer any player a MLE contract which is now starts about $6 million per year?

Sam
07-04-2007, 10:50 AM
He was 6th man in Toronto and started a bunch of games. Yes I know it was Toronto but come on...he's not a scrub. Also, he was playing really well for the Spurs last season and was the 7th or 8th man in a lot of games before his injury. He came back sooner than the Spurs expected because of his dedication. All the guys love him. He works hard and keeps the locker room loose.

Tim Duncan didn't talk to Tony Parker his first year. He met Matt Bonner at the airport. They hang out frequently and were seen talking and joking around together when the Spurs won the Western Conference championship and the NBA Championship.

Yes they may trade him later on in the season for a piece they need but for now this is a good signing.

2centsworth
07-04-2007, 10:50 AM
I saw some flashes but at $3m per?

mowgli
07-04-2007, 10:52 AM
I got a question for you:

Why is Barry still here?

(giggidy)

pad300
07-04-2007, 10:56 AM

The following table might give you a clue:

From 82games.com

Player % of Minutes Position PER Opp PER Net PER
Bonner 15 PF 18.4 11.2 +6.6
Oberto 26 PF 13.7 15.2 -1.5
Oberto 7* C 11.5 14.6 -3.1
Elson 33 C 12.4 18.8 -6.4
Horry 22 PF 11.5 17.2 -5.7
Horry 5* C 19.0 17.7 +1.3
Duncan** 19 PF 27.6 17.0 +10.6
Duncan** 49 C 28.8 13.9 +14.9

* Stats to be taken with a grain of salt, because of sample size
** Numbers included for comparison purposes only

While Bonner has his weaknesses, he is statistically the 2nd best big man on the team. While this is not to say that he is a good player, it is certainly interesting. It also says something about TD, that he can go out there and get the job done, despite his other big being pretty useless...

Also, note the following 5 man unit combinations (in particular win %):
Players Min For Ag. +/- W L W%
Parker-Ginobili-Bowen-Oberto-Duncan 290 571 503 +68 22 12 64.7
Parker-Ginobili-Bowen-Bonner-Duncan 46 116 78 +38 12 1 92.3
Parker-Ginobili-Bowen-Horry-Duncan 172 328 295 +33 21 13 61.7
Parker-Ginobili-Bowen-Duncan-Elson 173 391 302 +89 15 13 53.5
Parker-Barry-Bowen-Duncan-Elson* 245 469 438 +31 21 9 70.0
* included in fairness to Elson, as without Ginobili was his top 5 man unit with a reasonable # of minutes

Before his injury, Bonner was well on his way to making himself the 2nd starting big beside TD.

usckk
07-04-2007, 10:57 AM
at today's market, 3 million per is very well worth it. Varejao is rumored to be offered 8 million per.

SequSpur
07-04-2007, 11:34 AM
3 mill for Bonner???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????

R U FUCKIN KIDDING ME??????????????????????????????????????

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2007, 11:40 AM
So you are saying we cannot offer any player a MLE contract which is now starts about $6 million per year?

No, I'm saying you don't understand the salary cap. The Spurs are right at the luxury tax threshold. You want to give someone the MLE, the Spurs are essentially looking at paying the dollar for dollar penalty for the contract.

You six million dollar man would cost the Spurs twelve million.

AFBlue
07-04-2007, 11:42 AM
It's likely that this move was made to anticipate Horry retiring after this season. Bonner might get off the bench in case of injury, but I think his time will come after next season when he is asked to play the "Horry" role of big hustle guy that can shoot.

Spurs are also paying $3M to Elson and Butler, so it's not an outrageous sum of money.

urunobili
07-04-2007, 11:43 AM
bad call... he should have left to a team where he'd get more minutes... no there's no room for Scola... trade him, Butler and Beno... get a reliable 2nd PG and Scola...

YoMamaIsCallin
07-04-2007, 11:48 AM
You people are clueless. First, $3M is cheap for a serviceable big man in the NBA today. Second, Bonner has had a year to learn the system and get used to what Popovich demands... and he's done both. Not every, I'd dare say a minority, of NBA players could do that. Third, before Bonner got injured, he was actually playing quite well, if you remember. He came in and brought a lot of energy, kept balls in play, hit the occasional 3 or at least kept the defense honest, and battled on defense.

spurscenter
07-04-2007, 11:50 AM
bonner is gonna shine this year

Bruno
07-04-2007, 11:53 AM
People who thinks than $9M/3 years is way overpaid has no clue about players market value and/or no clue on how role players are valuable.

AFBlue
07-04-2007, 11:56 AM
bonner is gonna shine this year

Doubt that very much...but it could happen in 08.

The same roster is being brought back along with virtually every member of the regular rotation. Unless Bonner supplants Horry in the regular rotation, which is doubtful, it's likely Bon-Bon will only see the limited minutes that he saw last year.

The only caveat is injury....

Darkwaters
07-04-2007, 12:03 PM
I really feel that Bonner would have been in the playoff rotation had he not been hurt right as the team was gelling at the end of the season. He was really starting to click out there and endear himself to his teammates. Hopefully this season he will be healthy heading into the summer and we can see how he does with playoff basketball.

pad300
07-04-2007, 12:05 PM

The same roster is being brought back along with virtually every member of the regular rotation. Unless Bonner supplants Horry in the regular rotation, which is doubtful, it's likely Bon-Bon will only see the limited minutes that he saw last year.

Take a long look at that table I posted. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Horry supplanted.
Admittedly, I also think that a rookie Fazekas or McRoberts could get into our big rotation as 1st guy off the bench, which says something about our big rotation...

Borosai
07-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Because he's wicked awesome.

And KG is his bitch.

itzsoweezee
07-04-2007, 12:22 PM
he's not better than scola. and that's all that matters.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2007, 12:29 PM
he's not better than scola. and that's all that matters.

Maybe not in the low post, but I'll have to disagree with you when it comes to playing the big man who can space the floor and give TD room to operate with his outside shooting role.

I'd venture to guess that if Scola wanted to play for a deal starting at 3 million a year, he'd be here already.

SAGambler
07-04-2007, 01:11 PM
It's likely that this move was made to anticipate Horry retiring after this season. Bonner might get off the bench in case of injury, but I think his time will come after next season when he is asked to play the "Horry" role of big hustle guy that can shoot.

Spurs are also paying $3M to Elson and Butler, so it's not an outrageous sum of money.

Actually Pop like to rest Horry a bit during the RS, especially on B2Bs. I suspect we are going to see Bonner get those minutes this year.

And actually he was playing well last year before the leg injury. I for one, am glad we have him back on the team. Lot of hustle and can get deadly on the 3 pters.

L.I.T
07-04-2007, 01:19 PM
It's a good, solid flexible contract. It's probably right at market value for Bonner, possibly even a bit below when you look what Kapono and Carroll just got. The length and cost make them easy to use in possible S&Ts (along with Elson and Butler).

Nothing flashy so far this offseason, but solid moves that don't break the bank or, as some people have been saying, ruin any of their long-term plans.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2007, 01:24 PM
bad call... he should have left to a team where he'd get more minutes... no there's no room for Scola... trade him, Butler and Beno... get a reliable 2nd PG and Scola...
:lmao

timvp
07-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Bonner is a good player to have around. He also fits a need. With this upcoming season being Horry's last, the Spurs need to have a perimeter shooting big in the fold. If the Spurs don't have a big who can knock down shots, teams can much more easily double Duncan.

Besides shooting, Bonner became a much better rebounder last season. He also doesn't turn the ball over and is tough. His ceiling isn't that high and he has a lot of work to do defensively, but he's going to help this team.

And there's no way his contract was over his market value. Bigmen who can shoot such as Antoine Walker, Tim Thomas, Brian Scalabrine and Brian Cook all make more money ($53M, $24M, 15M and $11M respectively). Even a guy like Mark Madsen ($10M) makes more. And none of those five guys rebound as well as Bonner does.

Bonner will never be a star but he's a solid 7th-8th man in the rotation down the line and he has a very reasonable contract.

bdictjames
07-04-2007, 05:17 PM
He's a hustler at the boards and gives the Spurs the energy in the regular season. Not an offensive threat.. but the guy's like the rejuvenater of the team when he plays.

pad300
07-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Bonner is a good player to have around. He also fits a need. With this upcoming season being Horry's last, the Spurs need to have a perimeter shooting big in the fold. If the Spurs don't have a big who can knock down shots, teams can much more easily double Duncan.

Besides shooting, Bonner became a much better rebounder last season. He also doesn't turn the ball over and is tough. His ceiling isn't that high and he has a lot of work to do defensively, but he's going to help this team.

And there's no way his contract was over his market value. Bigmen who can shoot such as Antoine Walker, Tim Thomas, Brian Scalabrine and Brian Cook all make more money ($53M, $24M, 15M and $11M respectively). Even a guy like Mark Madsen ($10M) makes more. And none of those five guys rebound as well as Bonner does.

Bonner will never be a star but he's a solid 7th-8th man in the rotation down the line and he has a very reasonable contract.

Indeed, to follow up TIMVP
Stats from Knickerblogger
Player PER Rebound Rate Contract
Walker 9.67 11.0 7.6 million/year
Thomas 13.75 11.0 5.215 million/year
Scalabrine 6.64 6.1 2.8 million/year
Cook 14.89 12.4 extended at 3.5 million/year
Masden 4.55 11.0 2.2 million/year

Bonner 16.59 14.4 3 million/year
Oberto 12.05 16.3 3.5 million/year
It should be noted that TIMVP is Cherry picking bad contacts.

Decent Contracts (added after accidental early post), in this vicinity of performance
Player PER Rebound Rate Contract
U Haslem 13.8 15.6 5.525 million/year
Mikki Moore 14.9 11.4 Vet Min, expecting a significant raise
Pachulia 16.99 14.9 4 million/year
Okur 18.27 13.2 8.25 million/year
Chris Wilcox 16.72 14.6 6.25 million/year
Collison 14.34 16.8 5.75 million/year (extension starts in 07/08)

There are very few players out there who are not on rookie contracts and producting in Bonner's league that are getting less than $3,000,000. There are MANY getting much more for much less production.

VaSpursFan
07-04-2007, 06:12 PM
bonner brings energy and he spaces the floor a la horry...he's a needed piece to the spurs system. to top it all off, he's affordable. i envision him having a break out season this year.

AFBlue
07-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Reasons why Bonner won't make a significant impact next year:

1) Pop will not expand his rotation to include an 11th player receiving regular minutes.

2) Horry will not be "supplanted" by Bonner during the regular season or playoffs.

3) Bonner will not supplant any of the other frontcourt mainstays (i.e. Elson) because they fulfill a different role than he does....and not a duplicate one, like he does.

Again, I think this move was made for the season after next when Horry will most likely retire, leaving a rotation spot open for the big, hustle guy with an outside shot.

The only time he'll get "regular" minutes (not based on whether the game is a blowout), is when Horry is sitting the second night of back-to-backs or injured.

objective
07-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Maybe not in the low post, but I'll have to disagree with you when it comes to playing the big man who can space the floor and give TD room to operate with his outside shooting role.

I'd venture to guess that if Scola wanted to play for a deal starting at 3 million a year, he'd be here already.

Incorrect in a fashion.

Scola's agent said last summer that he'd accept a 3 year deal at 9/10 million.

So Scola is willing to play for Bonner money (end of the bench DNP-CD money), but the Spurs have refused to offer it.

Now that's comedy gold.

wildchild
07-04-2007, 06:41 PM
High BBIQ and hustle.not bad for 3M p/yr.

Not bad? For Bonner 3Mp/yr? My bad :rolleyes

Russ
07-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Why Bonner? Well, one time Pop's legendary temper went too far. . .

Bonner knows where the body is. :)

Russ
07-04-2007, 06:45 PM

Also, he wears well. His teammates like him. He's popular. That counts for something (especially with this team).

wildchild
07-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Incorrect in a fashion.

So Scola is willing to play for Bonner money (end of the bench DNP-CD money), but the Spurs have refused to offer it.

Now that's comedy gold.

Are you sure? Scola'd accept a 9M/year not 3. :lol

K-State Spur
07-04-2007, 06:46 PM

1) Pop will not expand his rotation to include an 11th player receiving regular minutes.

2) Horry will not be "supplanted" by Bonner during the regular season or playoffs.

3) Bonner will not supplant any of the other frontcourt mainstays (i.e. Elson) because they fulfill a different role than he does....and not a duplicate one, like he does.

Again, I think this move was made for the season after next when Horry will most likely retire, leaving a rotation spot open for the big, hustle guy with an outside shot.

The only time he'll get "regular" minutes (not based on whether the game is a blowout), is when Horry is sitting the second night of back-to-backs or injured.

That all sounds fine and good until you remember that Bonner WAS receiving regular minutes up until his injury.

On top of that, you have to consider that - especially with a 37 year old Horry - injuries in the front court are not unheard of. So even if Pop doesn't have him in his first 5 off the bench, that doesn't mean that he won't spend long stretches there just the same.

ArgSpursFan
07-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Incorrect in a fashion.

Now that's comedy gold.

I think the spurs resigned Bonner Because of his¨alright¨
3 pt range,that´s all.And having him already onboard they feel like they wont need Luis this season.Otherwise I don´t know why the spent that money on him tham signing Scola.
Scola is a much better all around player and hustler, with more inside presence and scoring tham Matt.
I still like it having Bonner on the team,but Scola was really the perfect guy to rest Timmy and still have someone on the floor who can play the low post and get something done in the paint while TD is on the bench.

mystargtr34
07-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey people whats up. Im new here ! :). Thats as formal as my intro will get.

Anyway, on to Spurstalk. To copy from my post on mysanantonio.com. Im happy with the signing. As long as Duncan is around shooters will be coveted. 3 years for $9 million was about market value for him and if he continues to improve he will help us down the road. The Oberto signing im not so coy about. $10.5 million dollars for a 32 year under sized centre - im not entirely happy about it. I understand RC has the whole trust thing going on but this one seriously eats into what we can do next summer (we could be in the running for an Elton Brand type star). Anyway, Oberto compliments Duncan well but a 2-year deal would have been more in line IMO.

mando6599
07-04-2007, 07:54 PM

Pop likes him and I like him because he hustles on every play and spread the floor with his outside shooting. He's a white Malik with longer range. I really like him so :p:

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Incorrect in a fashion.

Now that's comedy gold.

Comedy gold? Howabout a link? The last I saw last year he was looking for a five year deal starting at the MLE. That's not exactly 3 years/9 million.

objective
07-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Comedy gold? Howabout a link? The last I saw last year he was looking for a five year deal starting at the MLE. That's not exactly 3 years/9 million.

great, more 'link?' trolling

From JULY 7th, 2006

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070706.1D.BKNspurs.scola.1300a8f.html

Scola is seeking a three-year contract worth between $9 million and $10 million, about a third of which would go to paying the $3.5 million buyout he has with Tau.

BigBeezie
07-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Bonner is....well...okay. Considering what other FAs are getting, then I would say $2 million per year would have been better. He does provide a PF that can help spread the floor like Horry.

timvp
07-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Considering what other FAs are getting, then I would say $2 million per year would have been better.

Which free agent signing makes you think Bonner is worth $2M a year?

Kori Ellis
07-04-2007, 09:40 PM

I don't remember seeing anywhere that he wanted the MLE or five years. All I remember was the E-N saying he wanted 3years/$9-10M and one other place saying he wanted $3-4M/year.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Methinks Bonner + 1 full year of Spurs experience + Chip Engelland + health = a very reliable role player who can dagger teams from afar and help on the boards.

I never saw the guy last season but from what I hear he can shoot. If he's half-brained smart, he has a pretty good grasp on when and where to shoot in the spurs system. If he's a dedicated worker he has had what some claim the best shooting coach in the world on his team's coaching staff.

He will be well worth it :tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-04-2007, 09:44 PM
You people are clueless. First, $3M is cheap for a serviceable big man in the NBA today. Second, Bonner has had a year to learn the system and get used to what Popovich demands... and he's done both. Not every, I'd dare say a minority, of NBA players could do that. Third, before Bonner got injured, he was actually playing quite well, if you remember. He came in and brought a lot of energy, kept balls in play, hit the occasional 3 or at least kept the defense honest, and battled on defense.

Exactly.

And 3mil/yr is NOTHING in NBA terms.

Glad to have him aboard.

And as for those who would have "preferred Scola" - no way Scola signs for 3mil per, and his skillset duplicates Duncan and Butler. They'll have to give up on Butler before they sign Scola, or they'll trade his rights.

I'd say we'll see more of Butler and Bonner next season, especially early on so they can show us what they're capable of. If Butler is a true bust, they'll be looking at Scola in '08 (unless they trade his rights before then).

my2sons
07-04-2007, 11:03 PM

if you remember, bon bon was getting more and more consistent minutes before the injury, and one can only wonder how many more minutes he will get next season, with horry another year older. it is not out of the question to thing that bon bon will get significantly more minutes to rest mr. playoff for the hmmm what a concept .... the playoffs

objective
07-04-2007, 11:07 PM
if you remember, bon bon was getting more and more consistent minutes before the injury, and one can only wonder how many more minutes he will get next season, with horry another year older. it is not out of the question to thing that bon bon will get significantly more minutes to rest mr. playoff for the hmmm what a concept .... the playoffs

people forget that the only reason Bonner was getting 'more and more consistent minutes before the injury' was because Elson was out with the torn rotator cuff.

In fact the first game Elson missed (of 11) was the very first game of the 9 game increased minutes streak that everyone here remembers so fondly before Bonner hurt his knee.

phxspurfan
07-04-2007, 11:30 PM
how much did we pay sean marks? was it anywhere close to this? Right now I see him as a locker room guy who can (but probably wont in the playoffs) give horry a few minutes of rest.

but a good signing for the next 3 years, nonetheless.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Because he's a fucking 4 with some muscle who can hit it from 23 feet. Figure it out. Fucking Spurs fans fucking such nowadays.

Tek_XX
07-04-2007, 11:42 PM
3 million to ride the pine, damn guys what are we doing here. I'll come in and brick a three for tres mill.

Grand Wizard Tubbs
07-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Anglo superiority.

O-Factor
07-04-2007, 11:49 PM
http://www.seckids.com/images/matt_bonner.jpg

AFBlue
07-05-2007, 08:49 AM

That all sounds fine and good until you remember that Bonner WAS receiving regular minutes up until his injury.

On top of that, you have to consider that - especially with a 37 year old Horry - injuries in the front court are not unheard of. So even if Pop doesn't have him in his first 5 off the bench, that doesn't mean that he won't spend long stretches there just the same.

K-State,

Below is the rebuttal I was looking for. I thought I'd find it with Horry missing time, but it turns out it was Elson, that was the reason Bonner was getting more time. Any other significant minutes can be attributed to "blowouts".

Again, I think injury will give him the opportunity to earn minutes, but I don't see the Spurs expanding their rotation to include another person. Unless he completely supplants someone in the rotation, he's likely to get the same spot minutes as last year, IMO.

people forget that the only reason Bonner was getting 'more and more consistent minutes before the injury' was because Elson was out with the torn rotator cuff.

In fact the first game Elson missed (of 11) was the very first game of the 9 game increased minutes streak that everyone here remembers so fondly before Bonner hurt his knee.

Thanks, Objective.... :tu

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Bonner has some pretty decent upside and is a good fit for the Spurs system. I think $3M is not a bad price (comparitively) for what he brings. Not a bad signing.

timvp
07-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Matt Bonner re-signs with San Antonio (three years, $9 million)
Short-term B-, long-term B+
I'm not sure how much Bonner will play this coming season, but at some point he's going to succeed Robert Horry in the 3-point-shooting power forward role on this team, and he should do a pretty good job of it (though worse than Horry in other respects, he's a much better shooter). As with the Oberto deal, the real benefit comes further down the road, as the Spurs don't have an ugly final year or two of the contract to deal with.

CaptainLate
07-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Besides shooting, Bonner became a much better rebounder last season. He also doesn't turn the ball over and is tough. His ceiling isn't that high and he has a lot of work to do defensively, but he's going to help this team. [snip]

Consider him to be like Matt Bullard when he was playing well for the Rockets.

CaptainLate
07-05-2007, 01:40 PM
I understand RC has the whole trust thing going on but this one seriously eats into what we can do next summer (we could be in the running for an Elton Brand type star). Anyway, Oberto compliments Duncan well but a 2-year deal would have been more in line IMO.

I'm figuring the forward-thinking Spurs FO is planning for 2008 trades (around All-Star time in February) in preparation for signing another all-star to join the Fab 3 and bring 3-4 more championships to SA before Tim and Manu hang it up. Manu because he'll burn out.