PDA

View Full Version : Hedo for Artest?

ShoogarBear
07-04-2007, 09:50 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/256061.html
Kings eye a Hedo reunion

A source says trade talks -- Ron Artest is a likely candidate -- have been held.

By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer

Playing for the Kings isn't what it used to be.

The playoff streak, of course, was stopped at eight consecutive seasons last April. And with three coaches in the past three seasons, the Kings can't exactly boast about stability to players considering coming to Sacramento.

Nonetheless, the competition for roster spots might be more intense than ever. Only nine players have guaranteed contracts for next season, giving free agents and summer-league standouts a chance to make the roster.

But the Kings' roster retooling appears to include an attempt to bring a former player back via trade.

According to a league source, the Kings recently contacted Orlando about Hedo Turkoglu. The small forward, entering his eighth season, began his career in Sacramento in 2000 and was part of a three-team trade in 2003 that sent him to San Antonio.

The source would not go on record for fear of repercussion.

The most likely King to be offered in a deal would be small forward Ron Artest, whose $7.8 million salary for the 2007-08 campaign is close enough to Turkoglu's $6.3 million salary to fall within the parameters of the collective bargaining agreement. Turkoglu has two seasons remaining on his contract and a player option for a third, while Artest has two seasons left on his deal but holds an early termination option for next summer. Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie did not return a call seeking comment.

As for potential lower-level additions, the Kings released their Las Vegas summer-league roster Tuesday. The group is headlined by third-year swingman Francisco García, second-year guard Quincy Douby and 2007 first-round draft pick Spencer Hawes, a center from the University of Washington.

Among the four former Kings who became free agents July 1, big man Justin Williams is the only one on the summer-league roster. Noticeably absent is third-year guard Ronnie Price, who -- like Williams -- became a free agent but has been given a qualifying offer from the Kings that in no way guarantees a return. The Kings can rescind the offer, but it gives them the right of first refusal should another team make an offer.

Meanwhile, point guard Pooh Jeter returns for his second summer stint with the Kings and could have a chance to make the roster. Jeter, a 5-foot-11 University of Portland product who was cut during the Kings' training camp last year, played well enough in the NBA Development League last season to start in the All-Star Game. Artest's brother, Daniel, who has played in community college and overseas, is also on the Kings' summer roster.

As for the free-agent front, Petrie said Monday he has had "a preliminary conversation" with Corliss Williamson's agent, Jimmy Sexton. The former Kings forward said during the 2006-07 season he believes he has six seasons left. Williamson, 33, made $6.5 million last season and had said he would seek a three-year deal this time around. Petrie said no offer has been made.

"He's a guy that everybody likes around here," Petrie said. "We'll continue to stay in touch with Jimmy and see at some point where we're at and what we're trying to do or what we may be able to do or get done that still fits for him and fits for us."

It has also become official that point guard Mike Bibby is, for now, on the Kings' payroll for next season. Bibby did not exercise his early termination option for the 2007-08 campaign by the June 30 deadline, meaning he remains a King and will earn $13.5 million next season.

Bibby has a player option after the 2007-08 season, giving him the chance to become an unrestricted free agent next summer and turn down the final year of his deal worth $14.5 million.

Tuesday afternoon, the Kings released former assistant coaches Scott Brooks, Brendan O'Connor, Mark Hughes and Clay Moser.

Jason Hamm was the only assistant coach not released.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Oh man, the Kings' roster is a freakin SHAMBLES.

Good luck getting back to the playoffs any time soon.

justanotherspursfan
07-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Oh man, the Kings' roster is a freakin SHAMBLES.

Good luck getting back to the playoffs any time soon.
If I were the Kings, I'd start clearing cap and shopping tradeable assets for prospects and picks.

spurtime
07-04-2007, 10:19 PM
I read somewhere else that the Magic FO called Geoff Petrie and offered Hedo for Artest and Petrie said no...and that was about the extent of the "negotiations". I think it's funny how it turns into a story about teams talking about a deal when in this case it was probably one way communication and an almost instantaneous dial tone.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2007, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't rely on Hedo to be the championship clinching shooter, but otherwise he can play team defense at the 2 and 3. Would I want Hedo over Barry? Does a troll hate a Spurs loss?

mystargtr34
07-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Ide guess the Magic would do that trade. I cant see how hedo for Artest is goin to help the Kings, now or in the future. They are better of packaging him to a near contender where they can get some cap space and future picks. That franchise is goin downhill, and fast.

bdictjames
07-05-2007, 10:04 AM
How about Hedo and Ariza for Artest. That would be better.

MadDog73
07-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Hedon't do it!

(sorry, couldn't resist...)

angel_luv
07-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I hope Orlando doesn't do this trade. I don't want to root for the Kings.