PDA

View Full Version : Suns expecting to land Hill

timvp
07-05-2007, 01:45 AM
Suns expecting to land Hill
Phoenix appears to be frontrunner for veteran swingman
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic

The Suns are not only expecting to hear an answer from free agent Grant Hill today, they expect to hear the one they want.

The Suns believe strongly that Hill will tell them he has decided to join them for the coming season. Hill can't sign anywhere before Wednesday, but he and his agent, Lon Babby, have been speaking with Suns General Manager Steve Kerr since free agency contact began Saturday night.

Phoenix's confidence that Hill is coming echoes the beliefs of many across the league and backs up statements Hill made last month. He told ESPN radio the Suns were a better fit for him than San Antonio. Detroit, run by Hill's friend Joe Dumars, and Orlando, where he lives and has been on the Magic since 2000, are deemed the top contenders.

San Antonio, Miami and Dallas also made phone pitches to Hill this week.

The Suns offered Hill, who will turn 35 before the season, a veteran's minimum deal of $1,219,590. A league fund covers $448,980 of that. Other teams could offer Hill more but have not seemed willing to use most or all of the mid-level exception (about $5.5 million) for him. Hill's priorities are to play for a team that has a shot at a title, a style that fits his skills, a significant role for him and practices that will not tax his body after five ankle surgeries and a hernia operation.

Hill, 6 feet 8 and 205 pounds, averaged 14.4 points last season and is a swingman who could start for Phoenix and use his court savvy to help run the offense when Steve Nash is out.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0705suns0705.html

timvp
07-05-2007, 01:46 AM
:hungry: @ the thought of a defense consisting of Nash, Hill and Stoudemire.

T Park
07-05-2007, 01:54 AM
Goody the Suns get better and were screwing around with Otis Duhon.

milkyway21
07-05-2007, 02:48 AM
good luck for an 82-season games from Hill then

Budkin
07-05-2007, 03:19 AM
As a Magic fan, I can honestly say that Grant Hill is fucking worthless. I can't wait to see the Suns defense get even worse this season.

milkyway21
07-05-2007, 03:44 AM
I'd like to see what a swingman Hill & center Stoudawhiner are going to do with Duncan and Manu besides the "offensive" while Thomas and Bell are on the bench next season :oops

but he's cheap huh->the Suns offered Hill, who will turn 35 before the season, a veteran's minimum deal of $1,219,590.

first major signing from new GM Steve Kerr people, if true.

Bruno
07-05-2007, 03:45 AM
I don't care where Hill will go. He won't really help Spurs.
If he was a really class player, he should re-sign with Orlando for the min. They have spend so much money on him and he has bring so little to them.

milkyway21
07-05-2007, 03:54 AM
I agree as Hill is a classy player 100%. He's been to our country twice to promote his shoes and he was awesome during interviews. No ego, so down-to-earth.

I hope Amare Studewhiner can learn something from him. :lol

Fast Dunk
07-05-2007, 03:59 AM
Stingy bastards and you are happy that you only signed your mediocre own free agents??

Hahahahaha

Fast Dunk_
07-05-2007, 04:33 AM
But of course I don't know shit about basketball. I just pretend to know.

Streakyshooter08
07-05-2007, 06:31 AM
This thing reminds me of the Finley signing. There were a lot of reports where he will go and ended up in SA. That said, I think this time the reports might be true.

Darkwaters
07-05-2007, 07:29 AM
Stingy bastards and you are happy that you only signed your mediocre own free agents??

Hahahahaha

Must suck to get swept by mediocre. Go troll elsewhere.

ATRAIN
07-05-2007, 07:30 AM
Hill will get hurt AGAIN and not play half the season. I hope the SUNS do sign him. If Hill was Nash running into HORRY, hill would have broken in half.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Goody the Suns get better and were screwing around with Otis Duhon.

LOL. Goody, Tpark crying about guys who would have been bad players for us. You do realize that Hill is a worse defender than Nash, right?

Nash, Hill, Amare. Phoenix now has 3 guys who don't play any D. :lmao

steppy
07-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Best news I've heard all day.

703 Spurz
07-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Must suck to get swept by mediocre. Go troll elsewhere.

Funny how that works huh?

Spurminator
07-05-2007, 09:25 AM
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/5636/pic18yi.jpg

Man In Black
07-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Why say anything at all, especially when it removes ALL DOUBT that you don't know shit about basketball?

tmtcsc
07-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks to his injury problems, Hill will go down in NBA history as the absolute biggest bust, waste, (and if he leaves) thief, FA, ingrate ever. He was that much of a nightmare. He took that franchise down all by himself. McGrady was left all by himself. Thank goodness for Dwight Howard.

tmtcsc
07-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Hill will get hurt AGAIN and not play half the season. I hope the SUNS do sign him. If Hill was Nash running into HORRY, hill would have broken in half.

I heard he went to the doctor after watching "the hit" on TV. Can never be too cautious. Felt a tweak...

da_suns_fan__
07-05-2007, 10:03 AM
He'll be an upgrade over James Jones.

JMarkJohns
07-05-2007, 10:15 AM
If they are signing him to fill James Jones' 20-to-25 minutes bench role, then it's a very good signing - OFF THE BENCH. If they are signing him to be a 30+ minute starter, then I think, even if it is for cheap, that it's a bad signing.

Though, with it, as I said in the other thread, with the signing, they add another offensive facilitator to their offense, something they haven't really had beyond Nash since JJ left. It addresses wing depth and the backup for Nash (he won't defend the PG spot, but will be a point-forward for the Suns second unit), allowing the Suns to use part of their MLE on Melvin Ely, or perhaps, if Darko's asking price comes down to a starting salary of six million, then a sign-n-trade with Orlando, where Phoenix gets Darko, and Orlando gets a trade exception and the 2008 Atl pick.

Signing Hill for the veteran's minimum is a big deal, for whichever team happens to do it.

But, as I said earlier, this only helps the Suns if Hill is a rotation player and backup, not a 30+ minute starter.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-05-2007, 10:55 AM

Must be a Cavs/Mavs/Suns fan.

George Gervin's Afro
07-05-2007, 11:01 AM
The guy will get more playing time in Phoenix. I'm wondering if that is what he means when he says that their style of play suits him better than SA or Detroit. At this point in his career it seems that a half court style is more suited to his talents. I think he just wants to go to Phoenix and is trying to be diplomatic about turning other teams down. The one thing the Spurs don't lack is veteran wing play so I don't see us losing out on him as a blow to our team.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-05-2007, 11:22 AM
I remember that Jalen Rose was excited about playing on the Suns at first too. I don't think Grant Hill will do much on the Suns. D'Antoni isn't famous for going with his veteran role guys unless his hand is forced (Kurt Thomas for instance). I see Hill regretting this decision.

Oh, Gee!!
07-05-2007, 11:25 AM
soooo, no KG for PHX?

timvp
07-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Seriously though, when Hill and Nash are on the court at the same time and only one can guard Bowen, who is the other one going to guard? Oberto? :lol

And as far as Hill at backup point guard, does Sun Fan realize he had more turnovers than assists last year? If I'm Sun Fan, I'd rather seen Boris Diaw bring the ball up the court.

Hill might help against other teams but against the Spurs, I just don't see it. He can't play the James Jones role even, since he's not able to guard the Spurs' center. Unless Hill is just going to play the 8 minutes that Nash sits in the playoffs, I don't see how this works.

Oh, Gee!!
07-05-2007, 11:29 AM
PHX feels like it needs to spend some money, and Hill needs a vacation home in the southwest.

JMarkJohns
07-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Seriously though, when Hill and Nash are on the court at the same time and only one can guard Bowen, who is the other one going to guard? Oberto? :lol

And as far as Hill at backup point guard, does Sun Fan realize he had more turnovers than assists last year? If I'm Sun Fan, I'd rather seen Boris Diaw bring the ball up the court.

Defensively, it's certainly a concern.

Offensively, I'm not near as concerned, because Phoenix has far more finishers, from range to around the basket, than did Orlando. Even in their second unit of Barbosa, Hill (assuming), Diaw and Thomas.

I'm quite sure h's lost several steps, but he's heady, and can create. I pray he's played, and not wasted like Rose was last season.

And seriously, "Sun fan" is pretty unintentionally demeaning. It's bullshit. I take the time to properly acknowledge those I'm referencing/quoting and, without sounding like a bitch, would appreciate the same.

monosylab1k
07-05-2007, 12:39 PM
I look forward to seeing all 29 games Grant Hill plays next season.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2007, 12:41 PM
:lmao

timvp
07-05-2007, 12:49 PM
And seriously, "Sun fan" is pretty unintentionally demeaning. It's bullshit. I take the time to properly acknowledge those I'm referencing/quoting and, without sounding like a bitch, would appreciate the same.

That wasn't directed solely at you. "Sun fan" was used as a term for the Suns fan base as a whole. I apologize for the confusion.

But yeah, I've seen multiple Suns fans saying that Grant Hill will become the elusive backup point guard. I just don't see it. Maybe Grant Hill from a decade ago but not now.

To be fair, Spur fan had the same idea. They wanted to sign Hill and use him as backup point. Unless he finds the fountain of youth between now and November, I have no clue how Hill could do that in his condition.

Best of luck to the Suns. I think Hill is a good matchup against the Mavs and probably most every team in the league. However, against the Spurs I can't pretend that I'd be saddened to see Hill replace Kurt Thomas or Raja Bell in the starting lineup.

Avitus1
07-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Dont need him here anyways we got enough veterans.

JMarkJohns
07-05-2007, 01:01 PM
That wasn't directed solely at you. "Sun fan" was used as a term for the Suns fan base as a whole. I apologize for the confusion.

But yeah, I've seen multiple Suns fans saying that Grant Hill will become the elusive backup point guard. I just don't see it. Maybe Grant Hill from a decade ago but not now.

To be fair, Spur fan had the same idea. They wanted to sign Hill and use him as backup point. Unless he finds the fountain of youth between now and November, I have no clue how Hill could do that in his condition.

Best of luck to the Suns. I think Hill is a good matchup against the Mavs and probably most every team in the league. However, against the Spurs I can't pretend that I'd be saddened to see Hill replace Kurt Thomas or Raja Bell in the starting lineup.

You're not the only one... I've seen several. I've been a bitch too and said "MavFan" in response a few times, so I'm not perfect. I just know the attitude behind my use of the term and probably assumed it's the same for those using similar... Like I said, I don't want to come across as whiney. I've just worked hard on my name and like when referenced, I'm referenced with respect. It's not just on you. Largely not. It just happened to be the time I got sick of it. Sorry for any confusion on my end...

Hill starting is speculation. He may end up closer to Rose than any can imagine.

As for Hill, last season he was a starter, so his assist/turnover ratio came against other team's starting units. He was also one of the better offensive players on the Magic, probably second or third, depending on one's opinion of Nelson. Therefore he was defended more, and done so by better players.

If he comes off the bench in Phoenix, he'll have a plethora of finishers, both shooters and cutters, and he'll be doing such against other teams second units by and large. He won't always be the best offensive player on the floor for the Suns, and it'll be more difficult for opposing defenses to key in on him.

Such is my hope, at least. We'll just have to see...