PDA

View Full Version : Cuban on KG

O-Factor
07-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Interesting...

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/newmainArticle.asp?id=186

Mark Cuban is confirming on the record to DallasBasketball.com that he is involving the Mavs in the Kevin Garnett Sweepstakes "because this is about trying to be opportunistic,'' says the team owner, adding that Dallas' willingness to pursue this deal is not a permanent change in overall philosophy but rather something "dependent on the situation.''

Cuban cuts through a thicket of what members of his staff have for a week referred to as "moving parts'' when discussing with us a deal to acquire the Minnesota superstar:
ITEM: We've wondered if Dallas falls short in pursuing KG whether this process might also be used as a blueprint to pursue an alternate superstar, such as Kobe, Jermaine O'Neal or Paul Pierce, for example.
So, we asked. "Is this a special-circumstance/one-time deal''?
"Correct,'' Mark answered succinctly.
So what we might term the "controlled recklessness'' of chasing Garnett -- the willingness to bust the tax-avoidance mold and the willingness to add on artificial expirings and the willingness to absorb bad Minny contracts -- is indeed controlled. ... because that willingness does not expand to the pursuit of other Garnett-caliber stars.
Therefore, in a sense, Dallas has two master plans: Continuing to tinker with a 67-win team is a viable plan. Hoping to add Garnett to a 67-win team is seen by Dallas as another viable plan.
Spending whatever money and whatever assets needed to add "just any ol' superstar''? No. That is not among the plans.
ITEM: I asked Cuban if, as has been therorized by The 75-Member Staff (see Blogfish), PJ Brown's name is "pivotal'' in whether KG lands with Dallas or Chicago.
"PJ's not pivotal (in that sense) at all,'' Cuban responded. "He is in the same role as Cro was: a role we hope we can fill.''
Listening to Cuban, it's clear Brown would have a role with the club, and that speculation that has Austin Croshere involved in a trade package is accurate.
ITEM: Opportunism is important here, Cuban stressed, but he's still committed to what he likes to call "organic management.'' In Cuban's mind, it's about "going with the flow'' and about "using existing assets'' and a philosophy of trying to be fiscally responsible and maintain flexibility and balance on the team. Only in unique situations will the Mavs veer from their proven philosophy to make a bold and important move.
This is one of those situations. ... and now it's on the record and out in the open.

244pm July 3 2007

ShoogarBear
07-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Cuban on KG

In his dreams . . .

Supergirl
07-05-2007, 09:13 AM
What would Cuban have to give up to get KG and still keep Dirk? Could it be done, if they packaged up some combination of Harris, Terry, Stackhouse, and Howard? Surely they'd have to part with at least 2, if not 3 of those guys.

And if they could, would it be a good idea? They'd have to slide Dirk to SF, or play KG at C, which would be a dynamite frontcourt, but would it really be enough, if they played with a bunch of scrubs around them?

Findog
07-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Much ado about nothing, and ain't gonna happen. Not interested in gutting the roster to bring in KG and his $25 million cap figure.

leemajors
07-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Much ado about nothing, and ain't gonna happen. Not interested in gutting the roster to bring in KG and his $25 million cap figure.
looks like the cubes is.

Findog
07-05-2007, 09:33 AM
looks like the cubes is.

We won 67 games last year and made the Finals the year before that. We're the only team in the League with a proven ability to knock out San Antonio. We don't NEED to bring in KG. There's nothing wrong with picking up the phone and lowballing the Wolves seeing as how he can opt out in a year and they get nothing for him. If we do land him, it's for draft picks and a bunch of garbage. We're not gutting our core for him, and it's unlikely McHale will go for that, so this will all come to nothing.

monosylab1k
07-05-2007, 09:38 AM
The most I'd do is Howard & Terry & picks for Garnett. It's doubtful they'd go for that.

Dirk for KG is something I'd do personally, but I'd rather not get into it all for fear of pissed off Mavfan cheerleaders throwing their pom-poms at me and telling me i'm not a real fan for entertaining the idea of trading Dirk.

Findog
07-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Dirk for KG is something I'd do personally, but I'd rather not get into it all for fear of pissed off Mavfan cheerleaders throwing their pom-poms at me and telling me i'm not a real fan for entertaining the idea of trading Dirk.

It's a lateral move. Besides, all of the "intangible" things thrown at Dirk - leadership, toughness, coming through in the clutch - can and have been applied to KG. Interior defense and rebounding gets better, some of the offensive mismatches that come with putting Howard and Dirk together go away. And if you swap KG for Dirk, all of the sudden you have a $10 million player in Damp that is totally redundant when it comes to rebounding and interior D. Good luck moving him.

u2sarajevo
07-05-2007, 10:05 AM
If I didn't think Dirk for KG was almost a lateral move I'd be for it. But the fact that we would have to throw in more to make it possible (expiring contracts, future picks probably) means I wouldn't want that to happen.

I would surely trade him if it meant keeping Dirk and Harris..... but Minnesota isn't that dumb.

Findog
07-05-2007, 10:08 AM
If I didn't think Dirk for KG was almost a lateral move I'd be for it. But the fact that we would have to throw in more to make it possible (expiring contracts, future picks probably) means I wouldn't want that to happen.

I would surely trade him if it meant keeping Dirk and Harris..... but Minnesota isn't that dumb.

I think Dallas is better off trying to work a SnT for Gerald Wallace. That's a bit of a longshot as well, but the likely trading chips are Terry and expiring contract garbage, he fits a need for them (veteran PG with playoff experience over Felton), and if Wallace wants to win and is willing to take slightly less money than the max, we don't have to gut this team to bring him in here. Bobcats won 33 games and probably would've done better if Hermann got Morrison's minutes to begin with. They just brought in a stud swingman (J-Rich) and if Wallace wants to play for a winner instead of getting the max for a Leastern team, wouldn't Charlotte have to do a SnT than letting him go elsewhere?

Bah, that's probably a pipedream as well.

Switchman
07-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Cuban is a billionaire? Why doesn't he just pay the lux tax?

Shank
07-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I like a Stack resign, Posey and Brevin Knight as some solid moves for this offseason (if KG not in the mix). And if they can pursue Darko (though Cuban won't spend the entire MLE on one guy) without breaking the bank, I'd welcome the addition.

I really don't see KG moving any time soon. September, maybe? Hell, he could start the season with Minny and not be moved until February the way things are run within that organization.

mabber
07-05-2007, 02:16 PM

Only he can answer that, but I'd guess it's because it's just bad business. He earned his money, apparently, a lot of intelligent business decisions so that's in his nature. He started off spending in excess and realized he looked kind of foolish (from a business standpoint). I think that's the only area that he actually "cares" what other people think of him.

With that said, the longer the Mavs go (while he's the owner) w/o winning a title the more he might be willing to try to "buy" one.

Findog
07-05-2007, 02:46 PM

Uh, we HAVE been paying the lux tax. Mavs haven't been under the cap in years. Cuban wants a title and I figure eventually it's going to happen. Teams that are financially committed to winning tend to eventually getting it right.

ShoogarBear
07-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Teams that are financially committed to winning tend to eventually getting it right.Signed,

James Dolan

Findog
07-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Signed,

James Dolan

Or Jerry Jones. Or the UT Athletic Department. Or George Steinbrenner. Or John Henry.

Cuban's gotten more for his money than Dolan.

samikeyp
07-05-2007, 03:45 PM
In his dreams . . .

Actually in his dreams, KG is on top.

Oh, Gee!!
07-05-2007, 03:49 PM
We're the only team in the League with a proven ability to knock out San Antonio.

you did it once, don't get too confident.

Findog
07-05-2007, 04:21 PM
you did it once, don't get too confident.

Not at all, the two teams are pretty evenly matched. I'm pretty sure the Spurs would've won this time around given how the mavs burned themselves out by going in fifth gear the entire season. But I like our chances in comparison to the Suns, Jazz or Nuggs.

YoMamaIsCallin
07-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Continuing to tinker with a 67-win team is a viable plan.

We won 67 games last year and made the Finals the year before that. We're the only team in the League with a proven ability to knock out San Antonio.

This attitude of entitlement and faux grandeur that Dallas people have is sad, bewildering, and a little amusing.

Winning 67 games in the regular season and winning the regular season MVP award means exactly jack shit in this league. It does not mean that you're all set and going great. It means that you are a good regular season team that folds in the playoffs.

Playing the Spurs one whole time in a row to an almost exactly even standoff when Tim Duncan is hobbled with plantar fasciitis, and happening to win 4-3, does not mean that you have a "proven ability to knock out San Antonio". It means that you are a good team, but not a champion.

Raising a banner with great pomp and circumstance that does not say "NBA Champions" on it is the mark of a loser.

Face it... Mark Cuban would much rather have a successful Mavs team business-wise than championship-wise. He's OK with all you crazies duping yourselves that your team is the BEST and they were ROBBED OF THEIR RIGHTFUL CROWNS or whatever crap you have floating in your head instead of rational thought. You are being had. Your money is being sucked out of your pockets and into Cuban's.

Findog
07-07-2007, 04:51 PM
This attitude of entitlement and faux grandeur that Dallas people have is sad, bewildering, and a little amusing.

It's not an attitude of entitlement. There's this running theme of "the Mavs are psychologically broken and need to blow things up." Yeah, sure, the Spurs and their fans would love for that to happen. We're not going into that briar patch.

Winning 67 games in the regular season and winning the regular season MVP award means exactly jack shit in this league.

It means you're very good and are closer to a title than the lottery.

Playing the Spurs one whole time in a row to an almost exactly even standoff when Tim Duncan is hobbled with plantar fasciitis, and happening to win 4-3, does not mean that you have a "proven ability to knock out San Antonio".

Beating San Antonio doesn't mean you have the ability to knock them out of the playoffs? I don't follow the "logic." BTW, I've had PF, it's painful, but you can play on it. Timmy threw down 32 and 13 in that series against us, he can't play any better than that. Stop pretending he was "hobbled" and ineffective. We took your best shot and beat you. Doesn't mean we're far superior, doesn't mean another meeting would be one-sided in favor of one team or another. It just means we can beat you, just as you can beat us.

It means that you are a good team, but not a champion.

Agreed, which is why I'd rather they tweak the team than answer the prayers of the Spurs and their fans by blowing it up completely.

Face it... Mark Cuban would much rather have a successful Mavs team business-wise than championship-wise.

You don't know what you're talking about here. He wants to win a title badly. Haven't gotten it done yet.

He's OK with all you crazies duping yourselves that your team is the BEST and they were ROBBED OF THEIR RIGHTFUL CROWNS or whatever crap you have floating in your head instead of rational thought.

Who said we were robbed of anything? The Heat beat us fair and square, so did the Warriors. I wouldn't accuse others of being irrational and delusional when you say that Mark Cuban is not financially committed to winning a title. Not every team wins the lottery twice and gets a franchise big man. For the other 29 teams, it's a bit harder. That's why he didn't ink Dirk to an extension, Josh to an extension, resigned Terry, planning on inking Devin to an extension...oh wait! He did all those things and went into lux tax territory. Guess he doesn't want to win.

You are being had. Your money is being sucked out of your pockets and into Cuban's.

The Mavs have been my team since Mark Aguirre and Rolando Blackman. I'm not being suckered out of anything. I stick with my team through the good times and bad. I'd much rather have this than 11 wins or Roy Tarpley. But go on demonstrating your ignorance, it's quite entertaining.

mavs>spurs2
07-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Fuck KG, we don't need to gut our entire roster for him. As much as I hate to say it, Zach Randolph is exactly what we need. Low post scorer and rebounder, very physical player who won't fold like Dirk.

mavs>spurs2
07-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Mono, Findog, your thoughts?

YoMamaIsCallin
07-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Findog I will say you do seem to be a rational and knowledgeable fan of the Mavs.

Where I was coming from was a Mavs game my daughter took me to.

She lives in Dallas and is (gasp) a Mavs fan.. I had fun when she visited us in Austin during playoffs this year and I said "Hey, let's watch the Mavs playoff game! Oh wait! They're not in the playoffs any more!"

Anyway... I was struck by how the fans seemed to be more like WWE fans than basketball fans, and how Cuban's approach to marketing the game seemed to pander to all this. It's all about how terribly the refs are treating the Mavs and we should boo them. And about how Finley is a traitor and we should boo him.

And.. the Mavs players and coaches seem to buy into all this theme! Johnson gets all freaked out about the most obvious calls against him. The players fling their arms to the sky and strut about in frustration after they bang someone and are called. The video replays encourage the fans to join in.

Admitted, you see a bit of this in Spurs games too. But not to anything like the degree I saw in Dallas.

I really think Cuban is building up this "us vs. the world" mentality to get people to be Mavs fans. And guess what... it's working.

That's why I say he's sucking dollars out of the fans' pockets.

As to why he'd rather be successful than win... well.. just look at it. He has done that! He's built up the fan base, sold out the games, made the team the talk of the media by being controversial and outspoken, and put on a good regular-season show to keep people thinking he's got a shot in the playoffs.

And, all this "the refs are out to get us, the league is out to get us" is exactly what you do NOT do if you want to build a championship. The rule for championship teams is "no excuses, no complaints, figure out how to win".

At one of the finals games, it was reported that Popovich wrote on the board for the team, "Expect nothing. Ask for nothing."

This is perfect. It is exactly the attitude a championship team must have. No excuses. No talking. No complaining. No expectations of success. There is no try, there is only do or not do.

monosylab1k
07-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Findog I will say you do seem to be a rational and knowledgeable fan of the Mavs.

Where I was coming from was a Mavs game my daughter took me to.

She lives in Dallas and is (gasp) a Mavs fan.. I had fun when she visited us in Austin during playoffs this year and I said "Hey, let's watch the Mavs playoff game! Oh wait! They're not in the playoffs any more!"

Anyway... I was struck by how the fans seemed to be more like WWE fans than basketball fans, and how Cuban's approach to marketing the game seemed to pander to all this. It's all about how terribly the refs are treating the Mavs and we should boo them. And about how Finley is a traitor and we should boo him.

And.. the Mavs players and coaches seem to buy into all this theme! Johnson gets all freaked out about the most obvious calls against him. The players fling their arms to the sky and strut about in frustration after they bang someone and are called. The video replays encourage the fans to join in.

Admitted, you see a bit of this in Spurs games too. But not to anything like the degree I saw in Dallas.

I really think Cuban is building up this "us vs. the world" mentality to get people to be Mavs fans. And guess what... it's working.

As to why he'd rather be successful than win... well.. just look at it. He has done that! He's built up the fan base, sold out the games, made the team the talk of the media by being controversial and outspoken, and put on a good regular-season show to keep people thinking he's got a shot in the playoffs.

And, all this "the refs are out to get us, the league is out to get us" is exactly what you do NOT do if you want to build a championship. The rule for championship teams is "no excuses, no complaints, figure out how to win".

At one of the finals games, it was reported that Popovich wrote on the board for the team, "Expect nothing. Ask for nothing."

This is perfect. It is exactly the attitude a championship team must have. No excuses. No talking. No complaining. No expectations of success. There is no try, there is only do or not do.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Cuban wants to win a title more than anything. Of course he wants to make a buck while doing so, but EVERY owner is trying to do that. Cuban has shown time and time again that he wants to win it all and it's pretty stupid to think he's only in it for the money. His little crybaby routines are just part of who he is...it's annoying as hell, but it doesn't mean he's displaying some false desire to win in an attempt to sell tickets. It just seems fucking ignorant as hell to say some shit like that.

If you want to see a bad owner who doesn't care about winning, then look at a different owner in Dallas......Tom Hicks. Look at the way he's running the Rangers and Stars into the ground and then get back to me on this "Mark Cuban doesn't care about winning" bullshit.

Findog
07-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Anyway... I was struck by how the fans seemed to be more like WWE fans than basketball fans, and how Cuban's approach to marketing the game seemed to pander to all this.

T-shirt cannons, loud music and annoying PA announcers are not exclusive to the Mavericks. It's not exclusive to the NBA.

It's in every team's interest to grow the fanbase. Are bandwagon fans supposed to be turned away the door of the AAC? Success attracts fair-weather people, they will go away if/when the Mavs start sucking again.

If you think Mark Cuban doesn't want to win a title, and inking Dirk, Avery, Josh, Jet, Diop and soon Devin to extensions and going into lux tax territory says nothing, then I can't help you. Going into lux tax territory doesn't mean you've spent your money wisely, the Mavs have made some questionable personnel decisions, but it DOES mean you're aiming for something more than a 50-win season.

Admitted, you see a bit of this in Spurs games too.
But not to anything like the degree I saw in Dallas.

Whatever. All teams bitch about calls. It's not anything exclusive to Dallas:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1221/584107372_2d075bd432_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1099/584175365_68960df79a_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1401/584165095_383b8db14f_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1193/584165129_79a244e84f_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1321/584165117_7dc5f2ae2d_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1131/584164849_221b9215c7_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1189/584107240_af40c10ac1_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1036/584164855_c2cbd81531_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1240/632788748_e029e8c86f_o.jpg

ShoogarBear
07-08-2007, 08:05 PM