PDA

View Full Version : Backup PG options---why not Earl Watson?

BILLYE
07-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Since Seattle is intent on taking away pieces from our franchise, why don't we do the same and find a way to pry Earl Watson away from the Sonics.

Watson was a Spurs killer (sort of) for a couple of years when he was with the Grizzlies. Before anyone says it, I know he doesnt play much defense right now, but in a Spurs uniform he could play much better in that area. He also has a nice outside shot...3-point range as well.

Darkwaters
07-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Watson is the closest thing that the Sonics have to a starting PG. I don't know that they let him go unless we can give them something of quality back.

BILLYE
07-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Watson is the closest thing that the Sonics have to a starting PG. I don't know that they let him go unless we can give them something of quality back.

Ridnour is not the starter anymore? Why not trade Beno for Watson straight up...i dont know what Watson's salary is like though.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Ridnour is not the starter anymore? Why not trade Beno for Watson straight up...i dont know what Watson's salary is like though.
I believe around 4.5M.

timvp
07-05-2007, 08:04 PM
There are $18.6M reasons over the next three years why the Spurs won't go after Watson.

Darkwaters
07-05-2007, 08:04 PM

Watson is making just shy of 6M a year and Udrih 1.7M. Besides, why would the Sonics trade Watson for Udrih is a horrible trade for them. You realize that Presti has watched Udrih play for years and knows just how much he sucks, right? Why trade away the only PG on your roster that has ever been good in the clutch for a guy that can't even get the ball up the court against pressure?

If you're going to start a stupid trade thread like this do your homework first man.

timvp
07-05-2007, 08:05 PM
I can think of worse trades than Barry and Beno for Watson ... but the Spurs won't take on that type of salary for a backup point guard.

saschi
07-05-2007, 08:08 PM
The Sonics are going to be horrible next yr sowhy not dump a long term deal. Like they really think Watson is some essential piece, but alas the Spurs wouldn't want his salary either. It's all about building around Durant/Green.

BILLYE
07-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Watson is making just shy of 6M a year and Udrih 1.7M. Besides, why would the Sonics trade Watson for Udrih is a horrible trade for them. You realize that Presti has watched Udrih play for years and knows just how much he sucks, right? Why trade away the only PG on your roster that has ever been good in the clutch for a guy that can't even get the ball up the court against pressure?

If you're going to start a stupid trade thread like this do your homework first man.

way to welcome Spurs brethren to the board ya dick

stupid trade thread huh...the Scola, Barry and Beno deal for Nocioni????!!!!! you got to be kidding me... its worse than the Watson deal...maybe you need to do your homework pal...

Kori Ellis
07-05-2007, 08:11 PM
I wanted the Spurs to sign Watson a few years back. He'd be a sweet backup to Tony. He makes a little too much right now. But I'd take the Beno/Barry for Watson deal in a second.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Expect this a lot. It happens to all new members. I went through it too.

exstatic
07-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Way to come in with a weak take.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2007, 08:14 PM
You guys are being obnoxious as hell. Not everyone knows the salary situations of every player in the league or how the cap works, trades, etc. Some fans are more casual about this side of basketball than others. So instead of attacking people when they don't know something, how about just providing the info and not being such asses.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2007, 08:15 PM
:tu

BILLYE
07-05-2007, 08:22 PM
You guys are being obnoxious as hell. Not everyone knows the salary situations of every player in the league or how the cap works, trades, etc. Some fans are more casual about this side of basketball than others. So instead of attacking people when they don't know something, how about just providing the info and not being such asses.

I think I even stated that I didn't know his salary in an earlier post.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2007, 09:15 PM
From what I hear out of Seattle, they don't have much faith in Ridnour, which makes Watson, who started for much of the second half of last season, their man. Also, he's paid 6mil/yr.

I think he'll be Seattle's starter, and we can't afford him. Pity, I like his game.

AFBlue
07-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Right now the Sonics have three PGs on their roster....Ridnour, Watson, and now West.

Of the three, I would actually prefer West. He is the cheapest option as of now, plays with a swagger/moxy, and has the size/versatility to shift over to the two-spot.

Not sure what it would take to get him....but he's the one of those three that I would want to run the Spurs backup PG job.

T Park
07-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Ridenour wouldn't suck for a backup.

Can make a three, and run offense as well.

Gros Membres!
07-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Ridnour for Beno and Barry. Barry gets to play out his contract in Seattle and maybe look to re-sign there to play out his days. He brings veteran savy to a young team and he's loved in Seattle. Beno brings them, uh, a cheap contract with possibility.

What's Ridnour make?

OldDirtMcGirt
07-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Seattle management loves Watson. Ridnour is the one on the trade block.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2007, 10:33 PM
the Scola, Barry and Beno deal for Nocioni????!!!!! you got to be kidding me... its worse than the Watson deal...maybe you need to do your homework pal...
:wtf

Kori Ellis
07-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Seattle management loves Watson. Ridnour is the one on the trade block.

Who in Seattle management loves Watson? The new owner? Presti?

Because last season's management tried to trade him all year.

But yeah, I agree they are trying to get rid of Ridnour but I would never want him on the Spurs.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Right now the Sonics have three PGs on their roster....Ridnour, Watson, and now West.

Of the three, I would actually prefer West. He is the cheapest option as of now, plays with a swagger/moxy, and has the size/versatility to shift over to the two-spot.

Not sure what it would take to get him....but he's the one of those three that I would want to run the Spurs backup PG job.

West is the only guy they have right now on their roster to play the 2. So I think they are keeping him, unless they trade for another 2 guard.

BeerIsGood!
07-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I don't know if Presti would go for giving up Ridnour for Barry and Beno. It would depend mostly on how high he values Barry and his expiring contract as well as how much he thinks Beno's major suckage is system and coach related. If he really likes Barry and thinks what Beno needs most is a change of scenery then this could work basketball-wise (although I don't know how the salaries match). If he doesn't feel that way then I'm sure he could find something better elsewhere for Ridnour.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Ridnour can't shoot and he can't play D. And he's too small to even try to guard anyone.

BeerIsGood!
07-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Ridnour can't shoot and he can't play D. And he's too small to even try to guard anyone.

I agree, but in keeping with the thread topic he'd be the only option for a backup PG coming out of Seattle. I seriously doubt they give up Watson for anything the Spurs would be willing to give. They have all the PF they need so Scola means squat to them.

OldDirtMcGirt
07-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Who in Seattle management loves Watson? The new owner? Presti?

Because last season's management tried to trade him all year.

But yeah, I agree they are trying to get rid of Ridnour but I would never want him on the Spurs.

I just remember that some in the organization kept pushing to have Watson start over Ridnour. Considering they were still shopping Ridnour this offseason, it's probably the ownership.

Anyways, I think that they should try to trade Ridnour. Watson I feel can develop into a much better player. Oh, and considering that Atlanta was pondering trading the 11th pick for him, I'd say that Berry/Beno for Ridnour is a bit to skewed for the spurs.

BigBeezie
07-05-2007, 10:46 PM

www.basketball-reference.com

or

www.hoopshype.com

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2007, 10:46 PM
I agree, but in keeping with the thread topic he'd be the only option for a backup PG coming out of Seattle. I seriously doubt they give up Watson for anything the Spurs would be willing to give. They have all the PF they need so Scola means squat to them.

Yeah, unfortunately their major need is a starting SG, not a PF playing in Europe and a backup PG who can't get out of the doghouse :lol

I don't think Presti is going to be making deals to help the Spurs anyway.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2007, 10:47 PM
www.basketball-reference.com

or

www.hoopshype.com

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Just because people can learn about it is no reason for them to be attacked when they don't know something. That was my point.

BigBeezie
07-05-2007, 10:50 PM

So, he bears a striking resemblence to a 19, 20, 21 year-old Tony Parker? I'm sure our shooting coach and Coach Pop could influence him. But, don't get me wrong here, I think Luke should go to Dallas or PHX. :lol

Kori Ellis
07-05-2007, 10:51 PM
So, he bears a striking resemblence to a 19, 20, 21 year-old Tony Parker? I'm sure our shooting coach and Coach Pop could influence him. But, don't get me wrong here, I think Luke should go to Dallas or PHX. :lol

12 year old Parker was probably better than current Luke Ridnour. :lol

One other thing that I don't like about him is that he complains in the media about playing time instead of handling it in house.

BigBeezie
07-05-2007, 10:53 PM
12 year old Parker was probably better than current Luke Ridnour. :lol

LOL! I agree... Though, it was sad to see when Parker wasn't even allowed to close out big games as a pro. The staff preferred Speedy to Frenchie! :dramaquee

Kori Ellis
07-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Anyway, I don't think the Spurs want a $6M/year backup point guard, Watson or Ridnour. They are probably satisfied with minimum wage Jacque Vaughn.

Spurs Brazil
07-06-2007, 05:09 AM
I think the Spurs need a young PG (it was supposed to be Beno) and a veteran (Vaughn)

We need to remember TP improved a lot, we don't need a big name PG to be the backup.

In this TP we can trust so the backup will only play 10-12.

That's why I would like to see a young guy getting minutes learning from TP and Vaughn

ShoogarBear
07-06-2007, 08:33 AM
The other issue is that Watson doesn't want to be a backup. So even if his contract was acceptable to management, it would be Speedy Claxton all over again.

Clutch20
07-06-2007, 08:41 AM
You know, Watson just might be looked upon as part of the "former" Sonics group just enough to be part of a deal with someone else, maybe if Pop was motivated to he would get it done.
But unless there's injury to someone later down the line, Watson would not add anything to the Spur's fabric other than a sturdy patch on some corner of the tapestry.

“They do a great job of their system and staying true to form,
making big plays in big moments,” Suns coach Mike D'Antoni
told reporters in Phoenix on Thursday. “That's what we're
trying to get. Mental toughness, being lucky, I don't know
what it is.”

The Spurs, D”Antoni added, just seem to “believe a little bit
more.”
“All the time,” he said.

Darkwaters
07-06-2007, 08:49 AM
If we're looking for a cheap back PG why not John Lucas III? He seems to be expendable in Houston right now (didn't they just draft another PG in the 1st round?) and he was an absolute beast during the summer leagues last season resulting in his contract. I realize that Houston likely won't want to make a deal that will only make a division rival better, but it's worth a phone call. And if the team decides to cut either Marcus Williams or James White I see that as a good trade instead of a simple cut.

AFBlue
07-06-2007, 08:52 AM
If we're looking for a cheap back PG why not John Lucas III? He seems to be expendable in Houston right now (didn't they just draft another PG in the 1st round?) and he was an absolute beast during the summer leagues last season resulting in his contract. I realize that Houston likely won't want to make a deal that will only make a division rival better, but it's worth a phone call. And if the team decides to cut either Marcus Williams or James White I see that as a good trade instead of a simple cut.

That traitor will never get my backing!

Just because a college coach gets exposed for illegally paying a player after that player is shot to death resulting in probation for the program, that's not a reason to leave the team you commited to....weak.

Darkwaters
07-06-2007, 08:59 AM
That traitor will never get my backing!

Just because a college coach gets exposed for illegally paying a player after that player is shot to death resulting in probation for the program, that's not a reason to leave the team you commited to....weak.

His brother just about left Florida because Billy Donovan took the Magic job for all of 3 days or so.

But I can't really blame John Lucas for leaving Baylor. That was a messed up situation.

Regardless of what you think about all of that mess, do you think Lucas would be a decent player for the Spurs?

AFBlue
07-06-2007, 09:05 AM
His brother just about left Florida because Billy Donovan took the Magic job for all of 3 days or so.

But I can't really blame John Lucas for leaving Baylor. That was a messed up situation.

Regardless of what you think about all of that mess, do you think Lucas would be a decent player for the Spurs?

Just backing the Alma Mater...but yeah I see why he left.

And I do think he's a play-making guard, though I'm not sure how much better he makes his teammates.

Overall, I feel kinda "eh" about the proposition...but I could see it happening.

ShoogarBear
07-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Speaking of welcoming to the board, I remember my first ST.com post was to break the news that Jason Kidd was resigning with the Nets, and bringing Alonzo Mourning with him.

I prompted got blasted by somebody (for some reason, I think it was T Park) because, since it was my first post, I obviously was not to be trusted.

Spurminator
07-06-2007, 09:28 AM
lol