PDA

View Full Version : James White or Marcus Williams...

SsKSpurs21
07-06-2007, 10:20 AM
the spurs after signing vaughn, bonner, and oberto will have 1 spot left on the roster. the final spot will most likely go to one of these guys.

who do you think gets the roster spot?
who do you feel is the better fit?
who do YOU want making the roster?

AFBlue
07-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Actually, they could both get spots. Since White was already on the roster, he's counted as one of your 14.

Williams could be #15.

Darkwaters
07-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Well, the Spurs could simply sign Williams right now and keep both. The only reason they'd have to cut one is if they wanted to bring in another player.

That being said, if I had to cut one player right now it would be Marcus Williams. James White has at least shown that he is a capable player at this level and deserves to be in the NBA from his time on the court. Williams has never played a single minute in a game. But if you ask me in a few months once training camp and Summer League are over my answer might be very different. But at this point, Williams has shown nothing while White has shown at least a little.

Texas_Ranger
07-06-2007, 10:24 AM
White.

timvp
07-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I'll have a better idea in seven hours.

SsKSpurs21
07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Actually, they could both get spots. Since White was already on the roster, he's counted as one of your 14.

Williams could be #15.

but in the ludden article it says the spurs can waive him so they dont have to pay him $300,000 that is left on his contract. i say for $300,000 keep him on the team regardless and send marcus in and out of the D-league like white last year.

i feel that, with that extra year advantage in the spurs system white is already ahead of most fighting for a roster spot. it seems he is also a loveable guy in the locker room judging by his antics and how he was embraced at the alamodome championship rally by the team.

I understand that after the summer league we will have a better idea on who is the best fit, and i guess i misinterpreted that there was only 1 playoff spot. i just wanted to know who everyone will be rooting for as the primary bowen backup.

SenorSpur
07-06-2007, 10:28 AM
At this point, I think it's too early to answer that. Yes, we've caught a good glimpse of White during this past season and he shows promise. As for Williams, he may need the mandatory 1-year internship before we'll know what he has.

However, let's take a look at both Williams and White during summer league play and before answering that one.

AFBlue
07-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Which of the two would I most like to keep?

That's a tough one.

IMO, Williams is the more well-rounded player, with less projectability to being a productive player in this league. But, he needs to answer the questions about his attitude and work ethic by being a diligent worker in practice and off the court.

White has farther to go to be a productive offensive player, as he is more of an athlete right now than an actual baskeball player. But, he has shown that he is willing to work hard and be aggressive. As long as he settles into a niche (perimeter defender), I don't think he has to take his game to a greater level to stick with this team.

As of now, I'd agree with DW that White is the guy to keep because he's shown the willingness to learn and work hard to improve.

But I think both should be retained as both are likely to fill different roles in the future.

SsKSpurs21
07-06-2007, 10:31 AM
At this point, I think it's too early to answer that. Yes, we've caught a good glimpse of White during this past season and he shows promise. As for Williams, he may need the mandatory 1-year internship before we'll know what he has.

However, let's take a look at both Williams and White during summer league play and before answering that one.

sounds good to me. mostly everyone will be a subconsious fan of one of these guys and hoping they make the team over the other. i just wanted someone to root for during summer leagues and i will most likely be rooting for james white. just wanted to see how others felt about these two and who they wanted to make the team.

AFBlue
07-06-2007, 10:31 AM
but in the ludden article it says the spurs can waive him so they dont have to pay him $300,000 that is left on his contract. i say for $300,000 keep him on the team regardless and send marcus in and out of the D-league like white last year.

i feel that, with that extra year advantage in the spurs system white is already ahead of most fighting for a roster spot. it seems he is also a loveable guy in the locker room judging by his antics and how he was embraced at the alamodome championship rally by the team.

I understand that after the summer league we will have a better idea on who is the best fit, and i guess i misinterpreted that there was only 1 playoff spot. i just wanted to know who everyone will be rooting for as the primary bowen backup.

I understand that White can be waived, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Spurs go with a guy like Charles Lee or Melzer over one of these two guys...I just think it's most likely that they keep both.

As far as who will be the "Bowen backup", White fits that role the best.

But there will also be room after next year for backup SG, with Fin and Barry likely out the door....and that could easily be Williams.

kyleo
07-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Both will be signed, and Williams will spend a large part of the season in Austin.

If you had to choose, Williams has greater potential as a scorer, and has shown the ability to defend 1-3. White of course has incredible athleticism, and I think more importantly, the correct mentality defensively. The pressure would be on White, because he has had a year under the system to grow, and if his performance didn't reflect that, he might receive less leniency than a rookie who left after his sophomore season.

Darkwaters
07-06-2007, 10:38 AM
i just wanted someone to root for during summer leagues and i will most likely be rooting for james white. just wanted to see how others felt about these two and who they wanted to make the team.

Personally, I will be rooting for James White, Jackie Butler, Marcus Williams and Viktor Sanikidze the hardest. I hope all of those players have a potentially long career with the Spurs. Realistically though, I think one of the four will be an above average player (not sure how above average...it could be a lot though, or not so much) one will be a solid role player, one will be a bust, and another will never sniff an NBA court.

Butler and Williams probably have the most potential to be the above average player. But they also can just as easily be the bust.

James White could bust, but will most likely be a solid role player in this league.

Sanikidze could carve out a nice role in the NBA...or he could never leave Europe.

Ideally, they all realize their potential and become above average players. But not likely.

AFBlue
07-06-2007, 10:40 AM
I guarantee Williams will have a much better NBA career than White. The only reason people like White so much is that he is the sickest dunker in the league.

IMO, Williams needs to find his jumpshot again (which disappeared last year) before anyone can say he'll have a better career than White.

As of now, I think Williams is clearly the more talented player, but he'll need to show the ability and more importantly, the willingness, to improve his game.

And on the subject of jumpshots, Parker has proven that it's something you can learn while in the league. If White works hard enough at it, he can become a well-rounded player to go along with that sick athleticism.

Darkwaters
07-06-2007, 10:47 AM
I really think that unless one of these guys looks absolutely horrible in Summer League that they'll both make the roster. The Spurs just have such a massive hole at the wing slots next season they really need to hedge for the future. One young guy could easily not fulfill his potential, but the likelyhood of getting one contributor out of two possible candidates is much better.

kyleo
07-06-2007, 10:49 AM
IMO, Williams needs to find his jumpshot again (which disappeared last year) before anyone can say he'll have a better career than White.
While his mechanics are not the best, Williams managed to shoot 49% from the field, despite shooting under 30% from three-point range.

SsKSpurs21
07-06-2007, 10:49 AM
this is all great information guys. i cant wait till 3pm to see these guys in action. thanks for the info.

pad300
07-06-2007, 11:01 AM
That being said, if I had to cut one player right now it would be Marcus Williams. ... But at this point, Williams has shown nothing while White has shown at least a little.

I agree with your argument, White has shown more than Williams, but I disagree with your conclusion. Williams has shown nothing, but Beno is the gentleman to get rid of. Beno has shown he does not have the strength of will/character to play for a championship team.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2007, 11:03 AM
James White.

CosmicCowboy
07-06-2007, 11:18 AM
I think Williams is going to be one of those players that three years from now the media will be saying "how do those Spurs keep finding those overlooked great players in the second round?

I'm confident the Spurs did their homework on him.

justanotherspursfan
07-06-2007, 11:52 AM
I think Williams is going to be one of those players that three years from now the media will be saying "how do those Spurs keep finding those overlooked great players in the second round?

I'm confident the Spurs did their homework on him.
My guess is that the front office would be the first to tell you that he's a high-risk pick. The Spurs provide a lot of structure and don't really have any bad influences on the team, so they have a good chance of helping him become the player he has the potential to be.

But as Beno, for example, demonstrates, all the coaching and positive team atmosphere in the world won't help a guy if he's not willing to make the commitment and do the work. It's up to him to prove that he wants to be a real NBA player. We'll have to see how Williams responds.

The fact that White has stuck with the program for a year gives him the edge for me, at least at this point.

Mr. Body
07-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Williams is a better rebounder, which is nice.

But I see no reason they both won't be on the team next year.

A.H 21-50
07-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Williams is a better rebounder, which is nice.

But I see no reason they both won't be on the team next year.

me too
i don't think the spurs draft williams with the 33 rd pick to cut him then ...

Hemotivo
07-06-2007, 01:25 PM
White

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2007, 02:17 PM
So he was a little miffed about his PT in college. Jack beat up fans in the stands and squeezed off a clip in the parking lot of a strip club. Spurs fans have an interesting definition of what constitutes a 'problem child' nowadays.

bigfan
07-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Id like to see White return and Wiliams go to the Toros for a while. Melzer and the rest make the summer league interesting.

justanotherspursfan
07-06-2007, 02:28 PM
So he was a little miffed about his PT in college. Jack beat up fans in the stands and squeezed off a clip in the parking lot of a strip club. Spurs fans have an interesting definition of what constitutes a 'problem child' nowadays.
I don't think anyone is calling him a thug. But if he didn't get with the program at a solid school like Zona, he has to be considered a boom-bust player, don't you think?

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2007, 02:30 PM
So what did he do, sulk a little? BFD.

AFBlue
07-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Sulked his way to a 16.6PPG 6.7RPG on almost 50% shooting season....definitely worth the risk of being labeled a "bad chemistry" guy if you ask me.

The Spurs have a way of tabling some of those traits...

CosmicCowboy
07-06-2007, 02:58 PM
I've read just about everything out there available on Williams...I think he's getting a bad rap from the "draft experts" on the attitude thing...the wheels came off that Zona team last year and Williams was the only one that kept giving it 100% to win...maybe he took some shots out of the system, but after you pass the ball 10 times in a row and the guy bricks the shot that can happen.

Don't forget that the Spurs have the ultimate Lute/Zona insider in Sean Elliott. If there were really character issues to worry about the Spurs would have known about it.

Horry For 3!
07-06-2007, 03:01 PM
I liked Marcus Williams with Arizona, he was bad ass his freshman year but his sophomore year he went down a bit. I think it was because he was tryin to do too much and plus with Budinger being there.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2007, 03:06 PM
who do you think gets the roster spot?
who do you feel is the better fit?
who do YOU want making the roster?

Both.

Borosai
07-06-2007, 03:41 PM

SenorSpur
07-06-2007, 08:43 PM
sounds good to me. mostly everyone will be a subconsious fan of one of these guys and hoping they make the team over the other. i just wanted someone to root for during summer leagues and i will most likely be rooting for james white. just wanted to see how others felt about these two and who they wanted to make the team.

OK, I'll bite. I'll be rooting for White as well during the summer league games. He made quite an impression during his brief stints. Plus the sombrero thing at the championship celebration was a very nice touch!

Now I say all this as a fan who has never seen Williams play. So I can't comment on him.

For the future, I want to see White earning a roster spot and some minimal rotation minutes this coming season. Then blossoming into a regular rotation guy the following year in place of Barry.

Williams can do his 1-year internship in D-league and hopefully become a minimal rotation guy the following season or sooner for that matter. Of course, there is an outside chance he could beat out White.

Ideally, I hope both these cats work out and force their way onto the roster. I hope they become the future wing men of this team - assuming the Spurs don't acquire someone better in the interim.

Russ
07-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Both.
I would hold on to both.

And keep them away from each other. :)

JMarkJohns
07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
So, I asked in the official summer league thread, but got no response... anyways, does anyone have an idea or reason for why Williams attempted just two shots? Was he intentionally deferring? Was he defended well? Not part of the game plan?

I'm dying to know.

Would love an opinion.

Thanks...

Mr. Body
07-06-2007, 09:49 PM
So, I asked in the official summer league thread, but got no response... anyways, does anyone have an idea or reason for why Williams attempted just two shots? Was he intentionally deferring? Was he defended well? Not part of the game plan?

I'm dying to know.

Would love an opinion.

Thanks...

The guy is in his first semblance of a professional basketball game after playing as a sophomore in college. Give him (and us) a break.

JMarkJohns
07-06-2007, 09:56 PM
The guy is in his first semblance of a professional basketball game after playing as a sophomore in college. Give him (and us) a break.

I asked a simple question. I wondered if Marcus looked into the game today. It wasn't a Marcus game, so I was trying to drum up some answers, since I'm a big fan, of both he and the university he attended.

Cut me some slack. I volunteer information when I have it, and ask for it when I don't. Forgive my ignorance, it certainly isn't willful. Not much I could do, since I had to be away from the computer at the time his game was being broadcast.

Going 1-2 just doesn't seem like Williams was involved, either because he was willfully distancing himself from forcing shots because of his "selfish" stigma, or because of some other reason. Asking anyone who may know certainly shouldn't be an issue, so why don't you take the self-stuck stick out of your ass and get off my case.

Mr. Body
07-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. He looked like he was trying to fit in and not make mistakes. I wouldn't read too much out of his being quiet - Durant and Fazekas both played poorly in game two. It's nerves and excitement. That said, he may not do much this year at all, since the Spurs tend to develop their players slowly.

JMarkJohns
07-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. He looked like he was trying to fit in and not make mistakes. I wouldn't read too much out of his being quiet - Durant and Fazekas both played poorly in game two. It's nerves and excitement. That said, he may not do much this year at all, since the Spurs tend to develop their players slowly.

I said in some of the player reports I gave on draft night here that I feared all the negative talk about him being a "selfish" player may turn him a little passive for a while. He's much more of an assertive scorer, and much of his playmaking is based upon it. Maybe he has the good sense, right now, not to shoot unless open since his shot was a little streaky during the camps. Ya know, try and help in other ways, although his rebounding was low. He did have two blocks and a steal, though.

I want him to make the Spurs. I think they are great for him, but I'm afraid that if he intentionally defers to others, then he'll take away the one thing that got him drafted in the first place: his scoring ability.

For as good a prospect as White is, Marcus is a far better scorer. Maybe he's a bit more raw, and therefore not adjusted yet, so I realize I need to give time, it's just with 2nd-round picks, time isn't always guaranteed.

Mr. Body
07-06-2007, 10:08 PM
I think he'll make the Spurs' roster and, IMO, I don't think there's any doubt about it. They aren't drafting him to pick the better between him and White - they have complementary skills and can develop side-by-side. The Spurs aren't taking a flier on him and expecting him to pan out immediately. They're planning long-term.

JMarkJohns
07-06-2007, 10:12 PM
That's what it sounded like by them saying they scouted him.

Hopefully his shot returns, because it's sweet and consistant most times. Once it does, with a little coaching and structure, I have no doubt he'll be an impact player.

He and White really should play well off each other, as you said.

Avitus1
07-06-2007, 10:38 PM
James White, nuff said.

timvp
07-07-2007, 06:09 AM

I'm dying to know.

Would love an opinion.

Thanks...

The Spurs summer league team really lacked any playmaking from the point guard position. Their best playmaker was Jackie Butler in the post. Williams was playing off the ball and didn't get many touches at all.

He got his shots in the first couple minutes of the game but then never got another shot. His defense, however, was solid. He had a nice block at the basket and tipped away a few other passes.

Overall, he was timid and that was compounded by him not getting the ball much. From that game, the only thing I took out of it is that his arms are damn long and they can disrupt an offense on at least the summer league level.

stéphane
07-07-2007, 07:56 AM
I'm pretty sure williams will make the team. Local players drafted that "high" (spurs wise :p) are imo not projects but players able to sign right away. HE'll maybe end up playing in Austin but would be surprising if he gets not a contract.

manufor3
07-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Easy James White

Rescueone
07-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Trade Beno and both should be on the team

SAGambler
07-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Right now, I have to say White if it has to be one or the other.

However, I agree that probably both will make the roster with Williams being sent to the Toros for a year of internship.

yourcheatinheart
07-07-2007, 04:14 PM
marcus williams>cupcake

mavs>spurs2
07-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Sign White just to silence all the "boring" critics. :smokin

yourcheatinheart
07-07-2007, 04:18 PM
marcus williams>5 star resort bed pillow

Clutch20
07-07-2007, 07:45 PM
If only Chip E. could give us a few words on how White is taking to his training sessions, and say that his stroke is improving and becoming more consistent, then I would go with White.

“They do a great job of their system and staying true to form,
making big plays in big moments,” Suns coach Mike D'Antoni
told reporters in Phoenix on Thursday. “That's what we're
trying to get. Mental toughness, being lucky, I don't know
what it is.”

The Spurs, D”Antoni added, just seem to “believe a little bit
more.”
“All the time,” he said.