PDA

View Full Version : Spurs interested in Travis Outlaw ?

Bruno
07-06-2007, 11:37 AM
http://www.djournal.com/pages/story.asp?ID=246358&pub=1&div=Sports

Starkville’s Outlaw a wanted NBA free agent

7/6/2007 8:04:44 AM
Daily Journal

Travis Outlaw, the four-year NBA forward out of Starkville, is one of Sports Illustrated’s top 20 free agents this summer.

Outlaw was a first-round pick of the Portland TrailBlazers and has averaged 6.8 points and 2.6 rebounds in 203 career games, primarily as a reserve.

He finished last season on a high note, with a career-best 36 points in a loss to Golden State.
As a restricted free agent, Outlaw can sign an offer sheet with any team, but Portland can choose to match the offer to retain him.

According to SI.com, the 6-foot-9 Outlaw is coveted by Milwaukee, Charlotte and the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs.

- Daily Journal, wire reports

SI.com article :
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/gallery.nba.free.agents/content.14.html

NBA's Top 20 Free Agents
14 Travis Outlaw | Restricted free agent

Potential suitors: Trail Blazers, Bucks, Bobcats, Spurs

In four seasons in Portland since the Blazers selected him out of high school in 2003, Outlaw has averaged 6.8 points and 2.6 rebounds in 17.2 minutes. Stretch out his production over a full 48 minutes and a player who produced 20.1 points and 7.2 boards emerges. Only 22, he has the type of ''athletic gifts,'' said a scout, that could make him a 10-year starter. But he also has the inconsistency that demands he be a supporting cast member for the immediate future

MrChug
07-06-2007, 11:39 AM
He's a good defender and amazing shotblocker but please don't let this be someone we overpay for...PLEEEEASE?? :hang

Soul_Patch
07-06-2007, 11:40 AM
These things are probably always just assumptions by the writer. Spurs have proven time and time again, they rarely hold merit.

justanotherspursfan
07-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Do we have anything that Portland wants in a sign and trade? I can't imagine the Blazers wouldn't just match anything up to the midlevel.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2007, 11:41 AM
They were interested in trading for him last year, so I don't doubt it.

AFBlue
07-06-2007, 11:47 AM
He's a good defender and amazing shotblocker but please don't let this be someone we overpay for...PLEEEEASE?? :hang

He's a restricted FA....so NOT overpaying for him seems very unlikely.

Who knows though....I don't think the Spurs FO overpaid for Jackie Butler and he ended up with the Spurs.

He definitely fits the mold of "long 3/small-ball 4"...

I wonder if Portland would match a reasonable deal?

On the one hand, they have several prospects coming from overseas to fill out the roster in the next few years, and Outlaw might not be in their plans.

On the other hand, he seems to be the only true SF on their roster....

AFBlue
07-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Do we have anything that Portland wants in a sign and trade? I can't imagine the Blazers wouldn't just match anything up to the midlevel.

MLE? Really?

I'm not sure the Blazers are prepared to pay THAT much for this guy.

But again, if any reasonable offer were tendered ($3-4M per year), I think they'd be crazy not to match it.

timvp
07-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Outlaw is a great athlete and perfectly sized for what the Spurs need. However, he's not much of a basketball player yet.

For a small deal, I could live with adding him to the roster. But I wouldn't overpay because I think there's a 60-70% chance he'd be a bust in the Spurs system.

SsKSpurs21
07-06-2007, 11:53 AM
According to SI.com, the 6-foot-9 Outlaw is coveted by Milwaukee, Charlotte and the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs.

that sounds so nice! :smokin

coachmac87
07-06-2007, 11:55 AM
hell yeah i would do that if the price is right....he is a solid prospect and i think he will be better here in sa than he would be in port...everybody is better playin with tim duncan

justanotherspursfan
07-06-2007, 11:55 AM
MLE? Really?

I'm not sure the Blazers are prepared to pay THAT much for this guy.

But again, if any reasonable offer were tendered ($3-4M per year), I think they'd be crazy not to match it.
I guess I figured that after investing the pick and the years in the guy, they wouldn't let him just walk. If he's available for a lot less than the MLE, it seems like a good gamble.

AFBlue
07-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Offer him a "Jackie Butler" type contract, see if he signs it, see if the Blazers match.

If he signs it and they match...no big loss. If he signs it and they don't match....who do you get rid of?

Mr. Body
07-06-2007, 11:59 AM
He has great size and some nifty stats (1 steal/1 board in 23 mpg), but I have doubts he's truly putting things together. That said, I'd be very happy if the Spurs could get him without giving up too much -- but Portland has no other real SF, despite a need for veteran help.

AFBlue
07-06-2007, 12:00 PM
I guess I figured that after investing the pick and the years in the guy, they wouldn't let him just walk. If he's available for a lot less than the MLE, it seems like a good gamble.

Yeah....

The more I think about it, the less likely it is.

Udoka is most likely out the door, so there is an opportunity for Outlaw to see some starting minutes at SF.

He seems like a nice kid with good potential that fits into their scheme going forward of growing a young team.

Not sure he's worth the MLE, but I think Portland will match most reasonable offers to keep him.

BacktoBasics
07-06-2007, 12:26 PM
If it comes down to a roster spot I like him better than White.

AFBlue
07-06-2007, 12:29 PM
If it comes down to a roster spot I like him better than White.

Agreed.

Both have similar athleticism and both are equally as raw offensively....

But Outlaw plays a position of bigger need for the Spurs.

All things being equal, I'd take Outlaw over White.

Unfortunately, the salary difference between the two is likely to throw that "all things being equal" statment out the window.

gmanrulz
07-06-2007, 12:42 PM
i think next year he gon get like...10 points, 7 8 boards, like 2 3 rebounds

Bruno
07-06-2007, 01:08 PM
A post from last january saying that Spurs are interested in Outlaw :

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1394093&postcount=143

A S&T won't be easy to do CBA wise because Blazers don't have contracts that can be trade fillers.

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-06-2007, 02:36 PM
would damn great to see him in SA

would be great to replace Bowen

ShoogarBear
07-06-2007, 02:42 PM
i think next year he gon get like...10 points, 7 8 boards, like 2 3 reboundsThanks, Stephon. :lol

td4mvp21
07-06-2007, 02:47 PM
I don't think this would be too bad of a pickup.

pad300
07-06-2007, 03:08 PM
why fight Portland for his rights, when James Singleton is a UFA this summer. Singleton could be had for the minimum. Heck, you could probably get him into camp for a non-guaranteed contract.
Singleton's a much better rebounder, and would be significantly cheaper (Vet Min ~ 770,000 vs. 3 - 4 Million). He also wouldn't have a problem with significant bench time.
82games.com pages for last year and career stats from databasebasketball
Singleton
http://www.82games.com/0607/06LAC13A.HTM
http://www.databasebasketball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=SINGLJA01
Outlaw
http://www.82games.com/0607/06POR11D.HTM
http://www.databasebasketball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=OUTLATR01

AFBlue
07-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Nice call on Singleton...

pad300
07-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Nice call on Singleton...

Yeah, I've been hoping that the Spurs would get him by either trade or FA pickup for a while. He fills the single biggest weak point in our small ball lineup very nicely - he can REBOUND and would be by far our best small ball 4. As a 3, I'm not as sold. He'd do all right with power guys (eg. Artest, Bonzi Wells), but I'm not sure how well it would work against quick guys (eg. Richard Jefferson, Radamanovic)

Steve-O-Matic
07-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Outlaw could have a Stephen Jackson-type breakout in San Antonio.

timvp
07-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Singleton's a much better rebounder, and would be significantly cheaper (Vet Min ~ 770,000 vs. 3 - 4 Million). He also wouldn't have a problem with significant bench time.

You need to do some better research.

Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said it is unlikely the Clippers would make a trade before the Feb.22 deadline. But one player - not named Corey Maggette - wants out. Maggette requested a trade more than a month ago, through his agent. The Clippers explored options but none surfaced that interested them. Now second-year forward James Singleton wants to change teams.

Singleton was the first player out of the locker room after Wednesday's victory over Chicago.

"I don't want to sound like I'm whining," Singleton said. "I just want to play, and I don't think it'll be here. I'm never getting the opportunity, and so I told my agent to call them and ask them to trade me."

Singleton has appeared in 28 games and is averaging 1.9 points and 2.1 rebounds in eight minutes. He averaged 3.4 points and 3.3 rebounds as a rookie last year in 59 games.

Pablo Escobar
07-06-2007, 06:06 PM
that would be a nice spurs jersey

Avitus1
07-06-2007, 07:52 PM
that would be a nice spurs jersey

That would be a cool jersey.

The_Game
07-06-2007, 08:00 PM
many in portland expect blazers to re-sign Outlaw. He is in their long term plans.

bdictjames
07-06-2007, 08:04 PM
If he wants to gain some experience, he should come over.

dbestpro
07-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Outlaw will be 23 years old in Sep. His last 10 games he averaged over 16 pts per game, shot 50% from the 3pt line and averaged nearly 4 rebounds per game. His stat line has a lot of similarities to McGrady at the same point in his career.