PDA

View Full Version : Nocioni Agrees To Contract With Bulls

timvp
07-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Nocioni back with the Bulls
By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter
July 6, 2007, 12:17 PM CDT

The Bulls will make a Friday afternoon announcement that Andres Nocioni has re-signed with the team, the Tribune has learned.

The deal is for five years, with a team option for a sixth season.

Earlier Friday, Bulls general manager John Paxson confirmed that the team was optimistic about their chances.

"We've made progress," Paxson said at the Berto Center. "We're pretty confident. I'm hopeful that in the next day or so we can hammer this thing out with him."

The Tribune and Memphis Commercial Appeal reported in their Friday editions that Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace isn't willing to increase a verbal offer that is in the same neighborhood as the Bulls' offer.

The Tribune reported Paxson has offered a five-year deal worth approximately $38 million. It's rare for teams to make a proactive offer for a restricted free agent instead of letting the market dictate his price.

"I felt the area we started talking about was a legitimate, fair offer," Paxson said. "So I never have problems throwing that out there. We're at the stage where we know our young players have value. I just felt it was appropriate to try to work something out. We want him here. He fits in with what we're trying to do."

Indeed, Nocioni, 27, has become a Bulls fan favorite with his manic intensity and floor-burn style.

"He's one of those guys who have helped change a lot of things around here in terms of how we go about business," Paxson said.

The Grizzlies flew to Nocioni's native Argentina to personally woo him. That they didn't follow with a bold offer raised eyebrows.

But Nocioni, who is resting the plantar fasciitis in his right foot, always stated his No. 1 priority was to return to the Bulls.

He got his wish.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-070706bulls,1,2836739.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

Props to Bruno for breaking the story in the other thread.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2007, 01:10 PM
:pctoss

timvp
07-06-2007, 01:11 PM
The Tribune reported Paxson has offered a five-year deal worth approximately $38 million.

Man, that's a steal. Freakin' Jason Kapono get $24M over four years and Nocioni gets $38M over five years? Nicely done by the Bulls.

I guess it's on to the next target for the Spurs . . .

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2007, 01:12 PM
James Posey?

timvp
07-06-2007, 01:15 PM
James Posey?Doesn't sound like it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Hmmmm... I'm stumped.

Mr. Body
07-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Next target for the Spurs, I think, is nothing. Not even sure Nocioni was a target. I'm not even sure Zabian Dowdell is a target.

picnroll
07-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Hunt down that scout that screwed up Nocioni's birthday and shoot him.

Streakyshooter08
07-06-2007, 01:36 PM
:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

Streakyshooter08
07-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Who might be their next target? (If they have one) Travis Outlaw?

timvp
07-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Hunt down that scout that screwed up Nocioni's birthday and shoot him.

Should have signed him instead of Barry in '04.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-06-2007, 01:40 PM
When did Fabricio have a center named after him?

El_Mago
07-06-2007, 02:02 PM
I think it is obvious the Spurs are staying put.

RC has mentioned all along that he plans on keeping the team intact.

I expect the last roster to go to Williams, and then we shall roll into the season with the same crew.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Last roster spot goes to Marcus Williams. We're done for the summer.

tatervol
07-06-2007, 02:29 PM
:bang

CaptainLate
07-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Man, that's a steal. Freakin' Jason Kapono get $24M over four years and Nocioni gets $38M over five years? Nicely done by the Bulls.

Not necessarily. He doesn't rate a "no trade" clause, does he?

If Paxson likes Scola as much as has been said on these forums, then maybe the Spurs work something with the Bulls since they got Nocioni so cheap. Who's to say that hasn't already been discussed, as in: "If you can sign him for under $40mil, we'll trade you Scola's rights plus....

sribb43
07-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Not necessarily. He doesn't rate a "no trade" clause, does he?

If Paxson likes Scola as much as has been said on these forums, then maybe the Spurs work something with the Bulls since they got Nocioni so cheap. Who's to say that hasn't already been discussed, as in: "If you can sign him for under $40mil, we'll trade you Scola's rights plus....

you can not be serious? Just face it Nocioni signed with the bulls and is not coming to the spurs and not for scola and trash

florige
07-06-2007, 03:09 PM
How does that song go "another one bites the dust. another one bites the dust" :bang

Big P
07-06-2007, 03:18 PM
How does that song go "another one bites the dust. another one bites the dust" :bang

Yeah..they usually play it after we win the title.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-06-2007, 03:41 PM
you can not be serious? Just face it Nocioni signed with the bulls and is not coming to the spurs and not for scola and trash

I don't disagree with you as far as the Nocioni pursuit being over, but there's something comedic about a Mavs fan calling our trade offerings 'trash' when your owner thinks he can get KG with a package of Dampier, Stackhouse, Mbenga, and scraps.

wildbill2u
07-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Both Nocioni and Paxson apparently wanted him to stay with the Bulls according to the reports.

I haven't seen anyplace that either Paxson or Nocioni ever stated they wanted to do something with the Spurs.

This has all been nothing but wishing on the part of Spur fans.

Mr. Body
07-06-2007, 03:49 PM
I haven't seen anyplace that either Paxson or Nocioni ever stated they wanted to do something with the Spurs.

This has all been nothing but wishing on the part of Spur fans.

False, but nice try. Nocioni is on record as saying he'd like to play with the Spurs (even if Chicago was a diplomatic first choice). It's the barbeque comment.

Switchman
07-06-2007, 06:43 PM
:depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed

So much for a repeat.

davi78239
07-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Well, get ready for them to pursue an "old fart". Isnt' next off season suppose to be the lively one for the Spurs?

Ken Loomis
07-06-2007, 07:00 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao What a GREAT day this has been! :elephant :elephant

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2007, 07:03 PM
:dramaquee

spurscenter
07-06-2007, 09:00 PM
http://www.pixar.com/shorts/gg/images/landing_1.jpg

thats great. if you seen this short film, this says alot. nice post.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2007, 10:52 PM

How's that stinging first round loss going?

Oh, yeah, that's right, we just won the Championship, so we're really killing ourselves over missing out on a pipedream free agent... :rolleyes

Wanker.

florige
07-06-2007, 11:15 PM

Uhh last time I checked we were still the champs. You just focus on beating 8 seeds in the playoffs then we'll talk.

Fast Dunk
07-06-2007, 11:37 PM

Do you really expected Nocioni to sign with the cheap Spurs??

Hahahahaha

Fast Dunk
07-06-2007, 11:38 PM

What target?

Aren't they supposed to have the old farts returning leaving no space for anyone else?

Fast Dunk_
07-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Anyways the Spurs are a championship team. They probably have the best roster in the NBA.

Fast Dunk
07-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Anyways the Spurs are a championship team. They probably have the best roster in the NBA.

Kill youself stupid clone..you don't fool anyone!

Fast Dunk_
07-06-2007, 11:45 PM
There I go talking to my self again.

Fast Dunk
07-06-2007, 11:47 PM
Is that you Chump? (ChumpDumper)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Troll forum... :rolleyes

Borosai
07-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Doh.

anakha
07-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Kill youself stupid clone..you don't fool anyone!

Well, the collective IQ of this thread sure took a steep nosedive... :rolleyes

Dartherus
07-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Should have signed him instead of Barry in '04.
I got tired of warning about Nocioni...but guess what, in NBA, they prefer athletic freaks.....

Oberto should give another hint, when talking of proven Euro superstars.....

But hey, there's still people who think that any athletic_freak_low_basketball_IQ coming from NCAA is more likely to contribute than Scola, another proven euroleague superstar, with even more level of stardom than what Nocioni or Oberto had there......

Big P
07-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Apparently his deal is frontloaded, which might have scared off the Grizz.

Chicago Tribune: "The $37.5 million deal carries with it a team option for a sixth season that could bring the total package to $45 million, sources familiar with the negotiations said. Like the contracts of Ben Wallace and Kirk Hinrich, the contract also is front-loaded, sources said, to prepare for possible long-term extensions for Luol Deng and Ben Gordon. That means Nocioni, who can't sign the deal until the free-agent moratorium ends Wednesday, will make $8.8 million next season, and his salary decreases annually to $6.2 million in 2011-12 before the $7.5 million team option decision arrives, according to sources. Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace flew to Argentina this week to woo Nocioni personally. But he bettered the Bulls' total package only slightly, perhaps fearing the team's estimated $8.8 million in salary-cap space would be locked up for seven days while the Bulls debated matching the offer sheet on their restricted free agent."

SAGambler
07-07-2007, 10:56 AM
What target?

Aren't they supposed to have the old farts returning leaving no space for anyone else?

Parker, Bonner, White, Williams, Butler.........These are "old farts"?

You must be about 8 if you think they are "old farts"

Mr. Body
07-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Chicago is leading the league in frontloading contracts. It's a very smart idea - they have the cap space now, and it will provide room in the future.