PDA

View Full Version : Spurs always start slow...

CosmicCowboy
12-07-2004, 11:49 AM
not this year...:p

My thread from before the season has fallen off the archives but I told you guys this year was gonna be different...

Kori Ellis
12-07-2004, 11:50 AM
So they will slump after the All-Star break? :)

Useruser666
12-07-2004, 11:51 AM
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpursWoman
12-07-2004, 11:52 AM
So they will slump after the All-Star break? :)

That was my first thought, too. :oops :wow

Naaaaah. ;)

whottt
12-07-2004, 12:03 PM
One thing does bother me about the quick start...the last time we started this quickly, in 00, we ended up winning only 53 games, by far the worst total % of the Duncan era, age and injury......let's hope we stay healthy.

FromWayDowntown
12-07-2004, 12:06 PM
I think this time it's a bit different, if only because the main cogs aren't playing huge minutes to get that record. In 1999-2000, Duncan, Robinson, Johnson, and Elie were being asked to carry major minutes early on, and the Spurs beat up on a fairly soft early schedule. This year, Duncan hasn't played more than 40 minutes in any game, and has generally been in the low 30's, while Manu and Parker are playing reasonable minutes on most nights.

The other thing working in their favor is that they're winning games, but they've been pretty sloppy on both ends at times. It gives them something to strive for and to improve upon, which should keep them motivated -- that and the fact that they'll start seeing more rivals and contenders as the season progresses.

whottt
12-07-2004, 12:09 PM
I think this time it's a bit different, if only because the main cogs aren't playing huge minutes to get that record. In 1999-2000, Duncan, Robinson, Johnson, and Elie were being asked to carry major minutes early on, and the Spurs beat up on a fairly soft early schedule. This year, Duncan hasn't played more than 40 minutes in any game, and has generally been in the low 30's, while Manu and Parker are playing reasonable minutes on most nights.

The other thing working in their favor is that they're winning games, but they've been pretty sloppy on both ends at times. It gives them something to strive for and to improve upon, which should keep them motivated -- that and the fact that they'll start seeing more rivals and contenders as the season progresses.

I agree...that's why I said 65+ wins.

But at the same time...I wouldn't have expected that team to win only 53 games...especially since they went 3-1 against the 67 win Lakers...

But yeah that team was old and this one isn't. Plus all our guys are in good shape...that team had to deal with losing Elliott...and Jaren's change...and Duncan's knee.

Spurminator
12-07-2004, 12:12 PM
But yeah that team was old and this one isn't. Plus all our guys are in good shape...that team had to deal with losing Elliott...and Jaren's change...and Duncan's knee.

MAJOR KNOCK ON F'N WOOD

Rummpd
12-07-2004, 12:30 PM
My guess is that the Spurs will play the 2nd half with about a 72% winning percentage picking up 29-30 games to go with 32-33 won in first half.

This will be just enough to lock up league first seed and then Pop will ice Duncan and Ginobli until the real season.

I do expect at least one 2-3 games aweful played losing streak "when the sky is falling" later in the year. It is tough long season and rough schedule with back to backs up the gazoogles and a long rodeo trip again; but mark my words Spurs on their way to ultimate goal = 3rd championship.

Maddoc

Jimcs50
12-07-2004, 02:19 PM
Pop finally kept his team together in the offseason. This is the reason for the fast start. Usually there are 6-8 new guys on the team so it always took about 1/4 of the season to gel. This time, all the starting 5 were together in May and a couple of the best players off the bench as well. (Rose and Brown)

This team will not fade after the break, unless they get the injury bug. They are on pace to win ata least 60 games, which should get them the 1 seed once again.

FromWayDowntown
12-07-2004, 02:41 PM
They are on pace to win ata least 60 games, which should get them the 1 seed once again.

For the moment, their pace is 69 wins.

ALVAREZ6
12-07-2004, 03:09 PM
they don't always start slow.
They came out dominating in the game vs. the Pistons.

i think they normally slow down in the 2nd half, 3rd qt.

CosmicCowboy
12-07-2004, 03:10 PM
I just reread this thread and the exuberant projections of having the best record...

It made me think of 94-95... :depressed

made me want to hurl the Quiznos I had for luinch... :oops