PDA

View Full Version : Oden struggles, fouls out in NBA summer league debut

zekes
07-06-2007, 11:52 PM
For Portland's sake, I hope Oden adjusts quickly...even if it isn't the highest caliber officiating. LA is ready for a break out year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2928662

LAS VEGAS -- Greg Oden's foul troubles followed him to the NBA.

The Portland Trail Blazers center, the first overall pick in last month's draft, picked up three quick fouls in the opening three minutes of his professional debut Friday night in the Las Vegas summer league and fouled out with 10 fouls. League rules allow 10 fouls before disqualification.

Portland trailed by double digits for most of the game as Oden was a non-factor in 74-66 loss to the Boston Celtics. He had six points and two rebounds in 20 minutes.

Oden, who battled foul trouble during his only season at Ohio State, had four fouls in the first half and was limited to four points in eight minutes. His woes continued in the third quarter as he picked up three early fouls, including an offensive one for pushing off, in the opening 2:59.

The 7-foot, 250-pounder showed his potential late. He drew sympathy cheers for hitting a jumper with five minutes to play and followed with a monstrous block.

LaMarus Aldridge has 26 points and 11 rebounds for the Blazers.

In addition to Oden, the Blazers' roster for Las Vegas included familiar faces in Aldridge, guard Sergio Rodriguez and forward Martell Webster.

The team, coached by assistant Monty Williams, also features draft picks Josh McRoberts out of Duke and Taurean Green from Florida, along with Finnish guard Petteri Koponen.

Oden, Green and McRoberts have signed with the Blazers, while Koponen signed a waiver to play with the Blazers in the Summer League.

Oden, despite being hampered by a wrist injury, averaged 15.7 points and 9.6 rebounds leading Ohio State thi past season to the national championship game as a freshman.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

BeerIsGood!
07-07-2007, 12:08 AM
I wonder if the hype and pressure of being compared to TD and expected to be a monster player will hurt this guy. He seems like a nice kid and I hope the expectations don't go above his abilities. Right now he's not a polished offensive player at all, and it'll probably be a couple of years at least until he's ready to bring it consistently on offense in the NBA. I hope the unreal expectations don't bury him before then, because he's going to look bad on offense a lot more than he looks good for a while.

Mr. Body
07-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Not a big deal at all. LeBron had a horrible summer league, as well. He just needs to adjust.

kyleo
07-07-2007, 12:34 AM
Let the overreacting begin.

spurscenter
07-07-2007, 02:43 AM
i said it before, this kid is kwame brown but with skills , at least for the first 2-3 years, then as he grows, hell get Eddy Curry good but never as dominant as Shaq. never.

I hope Im wrong cuz he is a nice kid, but hes tall ---- but so is Andrew Bynum.

Oden is like Bynum for the first 1-2 years. Good, not great, with potential to be Shaq like but I dont think, like mentioned , he will get to that level unless both gain some weight to use in their arsenal.

Durant is ROY this year by far because he is #1 go to man unlike Oden in portland. Oden has Roy and Company to save him from bad nights.

Durant has the whole system for him. Even on a bad night, Durant is gonna get his 15 pts based on sheer touches.

Also, Corey Brewer is gonna shine in Minny if he gets mins.

I expect alot of good things from Corey Brewer.

The Cougar
07-07-2007, 03:05 AM
Three words

Sam Bowie Jr.

TDMVPDPOY
07-07-2007, 03:18 AM
Three words

Sam Bowie Jr.

nah, more to the tune of a colored eric montross

dav4463
07-07-2007, 03:29 AM
Ten Fouls !!!!!

SRJ
07-07-2007, 04:43 AM
Kori or somebody, please sticky this. I can't wait to see just how accurate these assessments turned out to be.

Greg Oden is going to have a first-ballot, no-questions-asked Hall Of Fame career, and we'll all get to look back on this and have a big laugh.

Amarelooms
07-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Kori or somebody, please sticky this. I can't wait to see just how accurate these assessments turned out to be.

Greg Oden is going to have a first-ballot, no-questions-asked Hall Of Fame career, and we'll all get to look back on this and have a big laugh.

Hall of fame? lol No way this dude is over-hyped. I actually looked at this stats from OSU and not impressed at all....too lazy to post em myself. He might be a decent player and make a few all-start games but nothing more. :elephant

SRJ
07-07-2007, 09:32 AM
I was less lazy than you:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=31545

He played all year with a wrist injury on his shooting hand, and still averaged the following - as a freshman:

28.9 MPG
15.7 PPG
9.6 RPG
3.3 BPG
61.6 FG%

You're telling me this is nothing to sneeze at? What do you want, Wilt Chamberlain?

justanotherspursfan
07-07-2007, 09:40 AM
:tu

PM5K
07-07-2007, 10:11 AM
The refs in these games aren't exactly NBA Finals caliber guys, let's keep that in mind as well....

gaKNOW!blee
07-07-2007, 11:21 AM

LOL @ putting a player in the hall of fame before he plays an official game.

justanotherspursfan
07-07-2007, 12:13 PM
LOL @ putting a player in the hall of fame before he plays an official game.
Yeah, the last time that happened, look at the result. The LeBron naysayers have really had the last laugh there.

lefty
07-07-2007, 12:24 PM
SO ??? big deal

Remmber when Duncan had a hard time in his summer league debuts, against...... Ostertag ?

gaKNOW!blee
07-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Yeah, the last time that happened, look at the result. The LeBron naysayers have really had the last laugh there.
im a little confused by this post

Borosai
07-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Just an observation, but Oden should break the habit of slapping the backboard with both hands after dunking. I'm pretty sure that's a tech nowadays, right?

dg7md
07-07-2007, 04:36 PM
He can't win an NCAA championship so let's expect him to win NBA championships.

gaKNOW!blee
07-07-2007, 05:50 PM
He can't win an NCAA championship so let's expect him to win NBA championships.Niether did Duncan.

chode_regulator
07-07-2007, 05:56 PM
The refs in these games aren't exactly NBA Finals caliber guys, let's keep that in mind as well....
so youre admiting they actually will call a foul a foul

either way 10 fouls is insane

tlongII
07-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Dude has a sinus infection and is having a tonsilectomy immediately after the Team USA workouts. He'll be fine.