PDA

View Full Version : USOC apologizes for 'Congo' joke

MaNuMaNiAc
07-07-2007, 11:25 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/07/07/bc.panamgames.usoc.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- In a joke that made Brazilians cringe and forced the U.S. Olympic Committee to apologize, a USOC worker scrawled "Welcome to the Congo!" on a board in the organization's Rio de Janeiro media center for the Pan American Games.

Rio's O Globo newspaper published a photo of the message on its front page Saturday, and ran a headline saying the joke was "full of prejudice." The message was condemned in a nation extremely sensitive about being compared to less-developed countries, especially by Americans -- who often are perceived as arrogant by Brazilians.

The controversy occurred as American athletes arrived in Latin America's largest country to compete in the event that starts Friday.

The USOC issued a "deep apology to the people of Brazil and Rio de Janeiro" in a statement Saturday, and said the worker who wrote the phrase was disciplined and is no longer a member of the U.S. delegation to the games.

USOC officials also apologized in person to Rio Mayor Cesar Maia, senior officials of the Brazilian Olympic Committee and the Pan American Sports Organization. The USOC statement did not name the employee.

The picture in O Globo showed USOC media employee Kevin Neuendorf in front of the whiteboard, and the story quoted him as saying it was written because "it's really hot in Rio."

O Globo noted that Rio is in the middle of its South American winter, and that the USOC office at the games is air conditioned. The average temperature in July in Rio is 78 degrees -- on Saturday, the temperature was in the low 80s.

On Rio's Copacabana Beach, Brazilians said it reinforced their belief that Americans frequently stereotype other countries.

"Americans are full of prejudices," said Alessandra Teixeira, a 29-year old model. "Everything for them is bad, and they make it worse."

The newspaper also produced a full-page graphic showing a map of the globe, pointing out that the Congo is in Africa and an ocean away from Brazil. The graphic included bright red arrows and a headline in English and Portuguese, saying "Watch and Learn."

About 5,500 athletes from 42 countries across the hemisphere are expected to attend the Olympic-style July 13-29 games, as well as 2,000 delegation members, 3,000 journalists and 15,000 volunteers.

Sure it was because of the heat...

peewee's lovechild
07-07-2007, 11:41 PM
What's the big stink?

The Congo has a rainforest and so does Brazil.
It's not a far stretch.

Bunch of fucking cry babies.

ShoogarBear
07-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Americans are idiots.

TheTruth
07-08-2007, 12:01 AM
On Rio's Copacabana Beach, Brazilians said it reinforced their belief that Americans frequently stereotype other countries.

"Americans are full of prejudices," said Alessandra Teixeira, a 29-year old model. "Everything for them is bad, and they make it worse."

Do not do a google image search on her. Take my word for it.

NorCal510
07-08-2007, 12:13 AM
just did it

shemale

NorCal510
07-08-2007, 12:13 AM
btw, :jack

Melmart1
07-08-2007, 12:16 AM
MARK Teixeira dressed in drag would be prettier.

NorCal510
07-08-2007, 12:26 AM
brazil is the congo

bitches

MaNuMaNiAc
07-08-2007, 06:51 AM
I actually think that the whole thing has been overblown, but seriously, how could that guy not realize a statement like that would not go well...

smeagol
07-08-2007, 06:59 AM
brazil is the congo

bitches
I vote for your stupid ass to be confined to the troll forum.

By the way, the guy who wrote the message on that board is not very intelligent. Fur that stupid stunt, the guy got canned. :lol

ObiwanGinobili
07-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Whats so wrong with the Congo?
If I were Congolese right now I'd be kinda mad at those stuck up Brazilians who think they are better then me.

ToughActinTinactin
07-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Americans are idiots.

Some just don't get it.

TheSanityAnnex
07-08-2007, 10:26 AM
If I were Congolese right now I'd be kinda mad at those stuck up Brazilians who think they are better then me.Very true.

And whoever thought it would be smart to put a quote in from a tranny model should be fired from the Brazilian paper. Since when did people care what models had to say anyways? Especially transvestite models.

ShoogarBear
07-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Very true.

And whoever thought it would be smart to put a quote in from a tranny model should be fired from the Brazilian paper. Since when did people care what models had to say anyways? Especially transvestite models.I dunno. Is that dumber than the person who hired Kevin Neuendorf to be a media employee for the USOC?

boutons_
07-08-2007, 12:40 PM
"The Ugly American" was written 50 years ago, by Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_American

"Le plus ca change ....."

TheSanityAnnex
07-08-2007, 12:49 PM
[email protected]

let the fun begin.

peewee's lovechild
07-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Would you say that Jessica Alba is an "Ugly American"?

Cuz she's fucking hot!!!!!!!!!

MaNuMaNiAc
07-08-2007, 05:59 PM
If I were Congolese right now I'd be kinda mad at those stuck up Brazilians who think they are better then me.I see, so if somebody compared the US with Congo? you wouldn't object?

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-08-2007, 06:17 PM
I see, so if somebody compared the US with Congo? you wouldn't object?

We probably just wouldn't give a fuck.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-08-2007, 06:31 PM
We probably just wouldn't give a fuck.I think most americans would give a fuck, being compared to a country like Congo and all that that entails. Of course most people knows its obviously not accurate. The problem is South American countries are fighting the perception that they are just like African third world countries, when in reality they are nothing the like.

peewee's lovechild
07-08-2007, 07:16 PM
I think most americans would give a fuck, being compared to a country like Congo and all that that entails. Of course most people knows its obviously not accurate. The problem is South American countries are fighting the perception that they are just like African third world countries, when in reality they are nothing the like.

Brazil is surrounded by rain forest.
And, so is the Congo.

Its comparative.

Comparing the U.S. to the Congo wouldn't make sense because we don't have any rainforests. It just wouldn't make sense.

You guys are blowing this out of proportion.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I think most americans would give a fuck, being compared to a country like Congo and all that that entails.

I respectfully disagree.

Seriously.

Melmart1
07-08-2007, 07:32 PM
I think if someone compared the US to Congo, most Americans would laugh, because they know its a ridiculous statement. Well, half would laugh. The other half would wonder why you are comparing a country to a movie.

ShoogarBear
07-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I think most americans would give a fuck, being compared to a country like Congo and all that that entails. Of course most people knows its obviously not accurate. The problem is South American countries are fighting the perception that they are just like African third world countries, when in reality they are nothing the like.Ummm, and what exactly do you mean by "a country like Congo and all that that entails"?

peewee's lovechild
07-08-2007, 07:47 PM
I think if someone compared the US to Congo, most Americans would laugh, because they know its a ridiculous statement. Well, half would laugh. The other half would wonder why you are comparing a country to a movie.

:lol

Congo the movie!!!

peewee's lovechild
07-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Ummm, and what exactly do you mean by "a country like Congo and all that that entails"?

I'm with you here.

I'm offended that someone would be offended about being compared with an African country.

That's pretty fucking racist.

ObiwanGinobili
07-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I see, so if somebody compared the US with Congo? you wouldn't object?

Nope. I wouldn't. Infact, if I think hard enough I bet i can find some similarities.

ObiwanGinobili
07-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Ummm, and what exactly do you mean by "a country like Congo and all that that entails"?

ditto.

Mr. Dictionary
07-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Congo
–noun
1. People's Republic of the, a republic in central Africa, W of the Democratic Republic of the Congo: formerly an overseas territory in French Equatorial Africa; now an independent member of the French Community. 2,583,198; 132,046 sq. mi. (341,999 sq. km). Capital: Brazzaville. Formerly, French Congo, Middle Congo.
2. Democratic Republic of the. Formerly, Zaire (1971–97), Democratic Republic of the Congo (1960–71), Belgian Congo (1908–60), Congo Free State (1885–1908). a republic in central Africa: a former Belgian colony; gained independence 1960. 47,440,362; 905,568 sq. mi. (2,345,410 sq. km). Capital: Kinshasa.
3. Also called Zaire. a river in central Africa, flowing in a great loop from SE Democratic Republic of the Congo to the Atlantic. ab. 3000 mi. (4800 km) long.
4. Kongo.
---------------------
Kongo
–noun, plural -gos, (especially collectively)
1. a member of an indigenous people living in west-central Africa along the lower course of the Congo River.
2. Also called Kikongo. the Bantu language of the Kongo people, used as a lingua franca in the lower Congo River basin.
-------------------------------------
congou
–noun
a black tea from China.
Also, congo.
[Origin: 1715–25; < dial. Chin (Xiamen), equiv. to Chin gōngfū(-chá) lit., effort (tea)]

peewee's lovechild
07-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Do Congo drums come from the Congo?

ShoogarBear
07-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Brazil shouldn't be insulted because they are "better" than the Congo, and South America shouldn't believe they are "better" than Africa. If they think that, they're just as stupid as the American who think it's cool to lump everything outside the US as being all the same.

peewee's lovechild
07-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Brazil shouldn't be insulted because they are "better" than the Congo, and South America shouldn't believe they are "better" than Africa. If they think that, they're just as stupid as the American who think it's cool to lump everything outside the US as being all the same.

That's exactly why Brazil was insulted.

And, a lot of people here are defending them.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Brazil shouldn't be insulted because they are "better" than the Congo, and South America shouldn't believe they are "better" than Africa. If they think that, they're just as stupid as the American who think it's cool to lump everything outside the US as being all the same.I see, so you consider Congo's current situation to be the same as the US? You may think that noone should consider themselves better than anybody, but they're definitely not the same. Right now the US is "better" than a lot of nations out there. I'm talking better in terms of development, in terms of security, financial stability, education etc. Denying these things for the sake of political correctness doesn't make them dissapear. I can accept the US is "better" than my country in all those aspects, just like I understand we are "better" off than most African nations.

ShoogarBear
07-08-2007, 08:12 PM
So it would have been okay to call another country "Congo", just not one of the "good" ones?

peewee's lovechild
07-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Bolivia is the Congo of South America

MaNuMaNiAc
07-08-2007, 08:18 PM
So it would have been okay to call another country "Congo", just not one of the "good" ones?you think Brasil would've objected to a reference comparing them to the States? Its a fact of life. You're talking about being politically correct, I'm talking reality.

Im perfectly aware that its not fair for the people of Congo, and I'm not talking about its people as individuals. I don't consider myself to be better than a person from Congo, but I do believe my country is in better shape in most aspects.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Again, I'd like to reiterate that, I, personally, wouldn't really have taken offense with such a meaningless statement. It really doesn't say enough to merit the reaction that it had. People read way too much into it. I'm just stating what I think was the problem people were reacting to

Extra Stout
07-08-2007, 08:23 PM
I seriously doubt that American was referring to the development status of Brazil when he made that comment.

My guess is that he meant, "There are a lot of black and black-looking people here, and being that I am a racist cracker, that annoys me."

peewee's lovechild
07-08-2007, 08:27 PM
I seriously doubt that American was referring to the development status of Brazil when he made that comment.

My guess is that he meant, "There are a lot of black and black-looking people here, and being that I am a racist cracker, that annoys me."

I still think he was just comparing jungle with jungle.

I don't see this as being racist in the slightest.

The Cougar
07-08-2007, 08:28 PM

AIDS and killer monkeys?

ShoogarBear
07-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Since you keep throwing around meaningless catchphrases like "politically correct":

1. The guy said he was talking about the weather. Brazil and the Congo nations are both equatorial, so in terms of weather they're not dissimilar. You're the one who wanted to read more into that ("sure it was because of the heat"). So who's being "politically correct"?

2. My argument is ignorance is ignorance, and arrogant ignorance is the worst of all.

Extra Stout
07-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Since you keep throwing around meaningless catchphrases like "politically correct":

1. The guy said he was talking about the weather. Brazil and the Congo nations are both equatorial, so in terms of weather they're not dissimilar. You're the one who wanted to read more into that ("sure it was because of the heat"). So who's being "politically correct"?

I call BS on the "weather" excuse. Rio is in its mild, dry season, which means highs about 80 degrees, with sea breezes blowing in from the Atlantic.

Help A Brother Out
07-08-2007, 11:28 PM
I think most americans would give a fuck, being compared to a country like Congo and all that that entails. Of course most people knows its obviously not accurate. The problem is South American countries are fighting the perception that they are just like African third world countries, when in reality they are nothing the like.

if so then why is this news?

ShoogarBear
07-08-2007, 11:37 PM
I call BS on the "weather" excuse. Rio is in its mild, dry season, which means highs about 80 degrees, with sea breezes blowing in from the Atlantic.Oh, the weather excuse is completely BS. I'm just pointing out how the "politically correct" card comes out when it's time to dis Africa, but not when it's time to dis South America.

samikeyp
07-09-2007, 09:36 AM

A lot of Americans would say... "Where?"

Sad but true.

Extra Stout
07-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Oh, the weather excuse is completely BS. I'm just pointing out how the "politically correct" card comes out when it's time to dis Africa, but not when it's time to dis South America.
South America has HDI's between 0.7-0.9. Sub-Saharan Africa typically runs 0.2-0.5. I guess the Brazilians are sensitive to insinuations that they are less developed than they actually are (a development inferiority complex?), although as we mentioned, I doubt the American was making a reference on anywhere near so sophisticated a subject as human development. He was talking about all the darkies.

Often "politically correct" in that context means "we're not supposed to point out that virtually all the countries at the bottom of the development indices are black African countries." There are people out there who want to come to conclusions about racial inferiority based upon that. (How ironic that we extol the development of the indigenous Amerindians, but ignore and discount medieval Africa, which was more prosperous than Europe until the Europeans took to the seas following the fall of Constantinople?)

ObiwanGinobili
07-09-2007, 09:50 AM
South America has HDI's between 0.7-0.9. Sub-Saharan Africa typically runs 0.2-0.5. I guess the Brazilians are sensitive to insinuations that they are less developed than they actually are (a development inferiority complex?), although as we mentioned, I doubt the American was making a reference on anywhere near so sophisticated a subject as human development. He was talking about all the darkies.

I agree that was the subtext, and was percieved as so.

Which basiclly makes the outrage: "Hey! we're not nearly as black as they are!"
:dizzy

Extra Stout
07-09-2007, 10:03 AM
I agree that was the subtext, and was percieved as so.

Which basiclly makes the outrage: "Hey! we're not nearly as black as they are!"
:dizzy
Well, you're assuming that "black" = "backward and underdeveloped," which, while that may have been what the offending American meant, is not necessarily what the Brazilians perceived.

I don't think race matters to Brazilians to the degree it matters to Americans or Argentines. They pretty much have blended together into a nice mocha color.

ObiwanGinobili
07-09-2007, 10:28 AM
That would have been my assumption as well untill I was shown Stormfront.org's very large section for South Americans.... and then was shown the ugly casual racism of one of ST's argie posters.... Now I've been looking at people different. Someone removed a shade or two of my rosetint raybans. :(

Extra Stout
07-09-2007, 10:35 AM
That would have been my assumption as well untill I was shown Stormfront.org's very large section for South Americans.... and then was shown the ugly casual racism of one of ST's argie posters.... Now I've been looking at people different. Someone removed a shade or two of my rosetint raybans. :(
1) Brazil and Argentina are not the same. Argentina is 98% white.

2) Though Brazil by and large blends together all the races, they have their own legacy of slavery (not fully banned until 1881), and they have descendants of the old plantation owners, as well as the descendants of a number of American Confederates who expatriated around 1865, who have perhaps not the best attitudes about people of African descent.

Extra Stout
07-09-2007, 11:32 AM
I think maybe I am full of it.

A cursory glance at Brazilian demographics and media shows a place that has more in common with Mississippi than any utopia of racial harmony. They just put that facade out there.

I defer to ShoogarBear. He's probably got the right tack.