PDA

View Full Version : summer leagues are a risk!!

coachmac87
07-08-2007, 04:48 PM
kevin durant and greg oden shouldnt be playing in the summer leagues!! they are at risk of an injury and i dont care if nobody has been hurt before in the past but i wouldnt want to have the first lottery pick hurt playing in a stupid-pointless summer league...."but they need experience and see what they do agianst NBA talen!" well for one how much experience are they really going to get?? they are going up against a bunch of nobodys and late draft pick rookies...the similar type of talent they played agianst in college! the NBA season is a very very long season...u use them during the preseason and they work out and get experience during that and training camp!! going up against real talent and they are not helping their teams playing with teammates that probally wont be there once the season actually tips off....these kids have no idea what a back2back is and they type of travel is needed in the NBA..as all players say it takes a huge toll on the body..and they really dont need to play a few extra games..if i was the sonics i would have durant in the weight room right now!!! teams really dont lift much during the regular season so if they wont to put some meat on them bones now is the time to do it!!! what if oden or durant get hurt??? talkin about a pointless setback!!! we kno they are good...thats why they went 1&2!!!! they can progress during the 82 games they play and get better playin with thier "real team" in training camp and the preseason!!!

Amarelooms
07-08-2007, 04:55 PM
They need all the practice they can get...they are going to suck the first year as is

coachmac87
07-08-2007, 05:02 PM
They need all the practice they can get...they are going to suck the first year as is

all the practice they can get??? who are they playing agaisnt!!! they can get practice during the 82 game regular season,training camp and the preseason games!!

bdictjames
07-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Then what are NBA fans supposed to be watching through the whole summer? It'd be pretty boring.

coachmac87
07-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Then what are NBA fans supposed to be watching through the whole summer? It'd be pretty boring.

not a damn thing!! its the off-season its supposed to be boring!!

Kori Ellis
07-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Don't you think if they weren't playing in summer league, they would be playing in full scrimmage games somewhere? It's not like they would be sitting home until training camp started. They'd be playing full games at their practice facility.

It's the same risk.

And as far as saying "teams don't lift much during the regular season". Most NBA teams require players to have 15-20 lift days per month during the offseason and 10 during the season.

coachmac87
07-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Don't you think if they weren't playing in summer league, they would be playing in full scrimmage games somewhere? It's not like they would be sitting home until training camp started. They'd be playing full games at their practice facility.

It's the same risk.

And as far as saying "teams don't lift much during the regular season". Most NBA teams require players to have 15-20 lift days per month during the offseason and 10 during the season.

ok well what good does it do for them to play in a summer league??? they dont get any better!!! whats wrong with resting..they have been through alot with all the workouts and the draft...and the whole weight lifting part nobody adds weight or alot of strenght during the season..and the u said most NBA teams?? so its not required??? im just saying thats its a long season and i dont think it benifits them at all...and i wouldnt want my franchise player put at risk for nothing!! what good comes out of the summer league for durant and oden???

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-08-2007, 06:19 PM
For the love of God, "Coach," would you mix in a paragraph or eight?

duncan228
07-08-2007, 06:20 PM
For the love of God, "Coach," would you mix in a paragraph or eight?

And a capital letter or two! :lol

Kori Ellis
07-08-2007, 06:32 PM
ok well what good does it do for them to play in a summer league??? they dont get any better!!! whats wrong with resting..they have been through alot with all the workouts and the draft...and the whole weight lifting part nobody adds weight or alot of strenght during the season..and the u said most NBA teams?? so its not required??? im just saying thats its a long season and i dont think it benifits them at all...and i wouldnt want my franchise player put at risk for nothing!! what good comes out of the summer league for durant and oden???

Why do you think they are at more risk in a summer league game than they would be playing in their own practice facility, a charity tournament, at the park or whatever?

NBA basketball players play fullcourt scrimmage games throughout the off season. The risk is the same in the summer league as it would be if they were playing on a rec court.

My point is that they don't just sit home and not play. So why not play in summer league? They keep in game shape, stay competitive, whatever.

coachmac87
07-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Why do you think they are at more risk in a summer league game than they would be playing in their own practice facility, a charity tournament, at the park or whatever?

NBA basketball players play fullcourt scrimmage games throughout the off season. The risk is the same in the summer league as it would be if they were playing on a rec court.

My point is that they don't just sit home and not play. So why not play in summer league? They keep in game shape, stay competitive, whatever.

ok if thats the case then why dont they play other players besides rookies or young players??? isnt the summer league used for scouting?? we kno durant and oden are good...and even if they dont play well in the summer league its not like they will lose pt during the season

Kori Ellis
07-08-2007, 07:20 PM
It's not just for scouting. It's for development. It's for keeping players fresh. It's for a lot of things. If Oden wasn't playing in summer league, he'd probably be playing in another big camp this summer. He's also might be playing in Pete Newell's big man camp in August. My point was, they aren't at any more risk than they are anywhere else. NBA players play basketball, whether in scrimmages, leagues or camps, year round. So, they are always at risk of getting hurt.

coachmac87
07-08-2007, 07:41 PM
It's not just for scouting. It's for development. It's for keeping players fresh. It's for a lot of things. If Oden wasn't playing in summer league, he'd probably be playing in another big camp this summer. He's also might be playing in Pete Newell's big man camp in August. My point was, they aren't at any more risk than they are anywhere else. NBA players play basketball, whether in scrimmages, leagues or camps, year round. So, they are always at risk of getting hurt.

ok but durant and oden are starters.you can pencil them in the line up! and duh nba players play basketball but dont nba players take a break?? of course!!! and like i said they are not getting as much experience as you would think! they are going up agianst a bunch of scrubs who wont really make the team or sit on the bench all year. and their season is year round!!!!

coachmac87
07-08-2007, 07:43 PM
and do u think they give 100% during regular pick up games??? NO...these people they are playing against are trying to impress coaches and scouts. its not like they are being watched during pick up games compared to summer leagues...name other starters that are playing in the summer league!!! and i guess they should be there next year because they will need more "experience"

FromWayDowntown
07-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Precisely the same logic would apply to allowing any star player to participate in any form of exhibition game. There's always a chance for injury, but teams have calculated that the benefit to having the player participate in summer league games outweighs the likelihood that the player will be injured while participating.

Every single year, kids who are picked at the very top of the draft play in these summer leagues -- I have to think that teams have considered the possibilities and chosen to assume the best.

I think it proves to be useful to the players, who have the opportunity to play for NBA coaches and to become acclimated to playing at an incrementally higher level, while being allowed to have some organized practice time during the summer. The latter part of that, I suspect, is the reason that teams want these kids playing in these leagues -- if they're playing in the league, the team can get a week or so of practice time that it wouldn't otherwise have. In that sense, it's exactly like a rookie mini-camp in the NFL.

Ultimately, if teams didn't see a benefit in having their kids play in these leagues, they wouldn't have them playing.

Amarelooms
07-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Is this guy a moron? Durant and Oden need to play as many freakin games as they can. Way too much hype...they are not ready to produce big time numbers in the NBA :elephant