PDA

View Full Version : Another Take on the Underappreciated Spurs

bigfundamental21
07-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted, but it is a good read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070615

SequSpur
07-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Post the article... I don't know how to do links.

bigfundamental21
07-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Here's the article

CLEVELAND -- Put the Spurs in Doc's DeLorean. Turn the dial to the 1980s, or early-to-mid 1990s. Just put them in a time when basketball fans weren't huge hypocrites.

You know how they say some people are before their time? Well, the Spurs are behind their time. In today's Paris Hilton-obsessin', 360-degree-dunkin'-lovin,' sexy-soundbite-wantin', entertain-me-me-me culture, the Spurs are an Atari in a land full of Wiis.

These millennium Spurs, now winners of four titles in nine years, were born at the wrong time. That's why they are, by far, the most underappreciated, disrespected champion in NBA history.

Tony Dejak/AP Photo

You wouldn't be pumped to see Duncan, Parker and Ginobili square off against Magic, Bird or Isiah?

But imagine them in the '80s with Bird, Kareem, Magic and Zeke. Imagine their execution facing the Pistons' toughness. Imagine Duncan against McHale. Imagine Rodman and Bowen competing for most irritating. Bet we wouldn't call the Spurs unwatchable then.

"I'm going to go on record and say, yeah, we would beat them," said Robert Horry, when asked if these Spurs could beat some of the great Boston teams in the '80s.

Imagine the Spurs in the early-to-mid '90s playing Jordan. Imagine Duncan versus Malone. Imagine Duncan versus Barkley. Imagine Popovich versus Sloan. Imagine the Spurs' big three rolling to Chicago trying to take the crown from Mike. Bet the television ratings wouldn't be so bad then.

Imagine the Spurs against the '82-83 Sixers. Imagine Moses Malone's "fo', fo', fo'" prediction contrasting with Tony Parker's French accent. Bet we wouldn't call the Spurs boring then.

We would have just waved our "Beat It" jackets in the air and cheered for the Spurs.

"Back then, it was more blue-collar," Horry said. "We're a blue-collar team and guys work hard and they appreciated it a little bit more than they do nowadays. They like flash."

Yes, we do. We talk a good game about wanting to see players with fundamentals, about wanting to see solid defense, about wanting to root for players who are anti-thug, about wanting to see execution, about appreciating good coaching, about wanting guys to just play and not mouth off.

And then we predictably tune in for more T.O.

Ask yourself: When was the last time one of the Spurs was arrested? When was the last time one of the Spurs whined about playing time? More money? Demanded a trade?

Think about that the next time you groan because the Spurs were in the Finals.

We treat the Spurs like they're a punishment. It's not the Spurs' fault they still do things the '80s way. It's not the Spurs' fault that most teams in the NBA aren't committed to defense. It's not the Spurs' fault all the worst general managers are in the league's biggest markets (Isiah Thomas, Mitch Kupchak, Danny Ainge). It's not the Spurs' fault the Eastern Conference is the professional version of the NCAA's Patriot League. It's not the Spurs' fault they're the best-run organization in the NBA. It's not the Spurs' fault that Tim Duncan, the most accomplished player in the post-Jordan era, doesn't fit the stereotype of black male athletes and therefore won't garner widespread, national attention until he holds up a 7-Eleven.

"For the true basketball fan, I think we are appreciated," Michael Finley said. "But for the era today, when it's about putting points on the board, it's not appreciated as much. Back in the day when 80-point games were considered high-scoring games, I could see this team being appreciated. It doesn't matter how many points you score, it's about winning, and this organization has done that. From that standpoint, the respect should definitely be there."

There are not enough great teams, and somehow this became the Spurs' problem instead of the league's problem. The Spurs should remind us how basketball used to be played in the NBA, but we've turned on them and sent the message that outside San Antonio it's ABS -- Anybody But the Spurs.

We're always quick to lament how much today's athlete has changed, but the truth is our fan values have changed just as much. It was once a no-brainer to embrace a team like the Spurs. Wish we could transport them back to a time when we cared more about what they stand for.

George Gervin's Afro
07-08-2007, 10:42 PM
This may be the best article that I have read to date concernng our place in history

Testing
07-08-2007, 10:42 PM
:lol He's right in that the problem with the NBA these days is outside the Spurs, there really isn't any great teams in the NBA left.

Dallas has been choking away for 2 seasons, Suns can't get past the Spurs...and outside of the Spurs, there really isn't a core team in tact year after year who's won rings. Back when the Lakers were the Spurs nemesis, it could be considered a true battle.....both teams had won championships with the same core and both teams have proven they can do it again.

For the past 4 or 5 seasons, since the Lakers dismantled, outside the Spurs, there has no been good team in the NBA. Every season the Spurs didn't win the championship in that time frame was not because the opponent was neccesarily better than them, but because luck and their own mistakes got in their way.

Dallas, Houston, Pheonix, Detroit, Cavaliers, etc are all good teams........I would never consider them a GREAT teams. That's the main problem with the NBA. Too many mediocre teams, and not enough teams who know how to win year after year.

bigfundamental21
07-08-2007, 10:49 PM
:lol He's right in that the problem with the NBA these days is outside the Spurs, there really isn't any great teams in the NBA left.

Dallas has been choking away for 2 seasons, Suns can't get past the Spurs...and outside of the Spurs, there really isn't a core team in tact year after year who's won rings. Back when the Lakers were the Spurs nemesis, it could be considered a true battle.....both teams had won championships with the same core and both teams have proven they can do it again.

For the past 4 or 5 seasons, since the Lakers dismantled, outside the Spurs, there has no been good team in the NBA. Every season the Spurs didn't win the championship in that time frame was not because the opponent was neccesarily better than them, but because luck and their own mistakes got in their way.

Dallas, Houston, Pheonix, Detroit, Cavaliers, etc are all good teams........I would never consider them a GREAT teams. That's the main problem with the NBA. Too many mediocre teams, and not enough teams who know how to win year after year.

Good point. There is also the lack of a consistent rivalry in the finals. Rivalries are what drive enthusiasm. We have rivalries with teams in our own conference, but not with the east as we have faced a new opponent each time we have reached the finals.

Plus people just don't appreciate good basketball, team basketball when they see it.

da_suns_fan__
07-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Good point. There is also the lack of a consistent rivalry in the finals. Rivalries are what drive enthusiasm. We have rivalries with teams in our own conference, but not with the east as we have faced a new opponent each time we have reached the finals.

Plus people just don't appreciate good basketball, team basketball when they see it.

Who would have thought that country is too stupid to realize what is good basketball....

How do they not appreciate Tim Duncan holding the ball for twelve seconds without doing anything?

Who doesn't love a Finals with scores in the SEVENTIES!!!

Yep...a good eastern conference rival is the only thing keeping the Spurs back!

:rolleyes

ShoogarBear
07-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Put the Spurs in Doc's DeLorean. Turn the dial to the 1980s, or early-to-mid 1990s. Just put them in a time when basketball fans weren't huge hypocrites.

This is true, but it's even simpler than that.

Put them in NY or Boston or Philly or LA and there isn't a problem with them, either.

SpursFanFirst
07-08-2007, 11:32 PM
There were a couple of comments at the end of that, but check this one out:

Completely disagree with the article. If you put this team back in the 80s, 90s they would get handled. No one on this current Spurs team has the ability to attack and destroy another team's psyche like those great Celtics (Bird), Lakers (Magic), Pistons (Isiah), and Bulls (MJ). Each one of those teams had an assassin that would not let their team lose no matter what the circumstances. Yes TD is nice and has been a model of consistency during his career but he would in no way, shape, or form intimidate any of those teams...and Tony Parker, against any of the aforementioned teams he would fold as he has done so often in the past. If anything the Spurs should be happy for being around now when style seems to be looked at more than substance because that has allowed a solid team to float under the radar. Don't get me wrong the Spurs are definitely a strong team with easily one of the best coaches in the NBA, but to say they could hold a candle to any of the great teams from the 80s and 90s is ridiculous.

Any thoughts?

bigfundamental21
07-08-2007, 11:35 PM

Completely disagree with the article. If you put this team back in the 80s, 90s they would get handled. No one on this current Spurs team has the ability to attack and destroy another team's psyche like those great Celtics (Bird), Lakers (Magic), Pistons (Isiah), and Bulls (MJ). Each one of those teams had an assassin that would not let their team lose no matter what the circumstances. Yes TD is nice and has been a model of consistency during his career but he would in no way, shape, or form intimidate any of those teams...and Tony Parker, against any of the aforementioned teams he would fold as he has done so often in the past. If anything the Spurs should be happy for being around now when style seems to be looked at more than substance because that has allowed a solid team to float under the radar. Don't get me wrong the Spurs are definitely a strong team with easily one of the best coaches in the NBA, but to say they could hold a candle to any of the great teams from the 80s and 90s is ridiculous.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, instead of just one player that can take over the game. The Spurs have three. Plus they play team defense which would have put a challenge to any of the Jordan, Bird, Magic, Isaiah teams.

bigfundamental21
07-08-2007, 11:40 PM
This is true, but it's even simpler than that.

Put them in NY or Boston or Philly or LA and there isn't a problem with them, either.

So true. :grim:

Darkwaters
07-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Who would have thought that country is too stupid to realize what is good basketball....

How do they not appreciate Tim Duncan holding the ball for twelve seconds without doing anything?

Well we sure haven't been able to find any quality competition out west, now have we? :lol

lrrr
07-09-2007, 12:48 AM

Any thoughts?

Just cause Duncan doesn't do the whole screaming, trash talking and chest thumping routine after a big play doesn't mean he isn't a fierce, fierce competitor. I remember when he hung 36 points on Shaq to eliminate the Lakers after their 3-peat, the near quad double and when he brought the Spurs back from the 9 point hole against the Pistons in game 7. I think a lot of teams are intimidated by Tim. How often does this guy see double coverage?

And TP is only 25. "in the past" he was a young player finding his way and getting better. NOW, he is much more complete player.

JPB
07-09-2007, 03:49 AM

Thanks for validating the article's point.

sabar
07-09-2007, 05:12 AM

:rolleyesSuns fan, proud follower of professional basketball for 3 years.

hsxvvd
07-09-2007, 05:14 AM

Are you serious?

Sense
07-09-2007, 05:16 AM
Are you serious?

Welcome to the forum, No... he isn't.

dav4463
07-09-2007, 05:34 AM
Suns fans make Mav fans look like THEY know basketball !

sabar
07-09-2007, 05:35 AM
Post a bulleted list, Sequ doesn't do paragraphs.

SenorSpur
07-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Very true. That's why I was hoping so much that Detroit would have reached the Finals again this past season. During the 2005 NBA finals, I had visions of Spurs/Pistons being the new East/West rivalry. Much in the same way of the vintage Fakers/Celtics rivalries from the '80s.

Avitus1
07-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Great article. Its about time we start seeing more stuff like this.

spursfan09
07-09-2007, 12:54 PM

ofcourse a Suns fan wouldn't understand. :lol Hopefully however the actual Suns team realize how they have to play to beat the Spurs. It's not all about offense.

yourcheatinheart
07-09-2007, 01:02 PM
i laughed my ass off until i found out Jamele Hill wrote this. then i threw up in the trashcan. she's worthless, skip bayless kicks her ass on first and ten all the time and we all know what a piece of shit skip bayless is. horrible, horrible article. those 80's teams could've played those spartan soldiers in 300 and still come out with crisp white sneakers.

stretch
07-09-2007, 01:04 PM
:lol

yourcheatinheart
07-09-2007, 01:09 PM
ofcourse a Suns fan wouldn't understand. :lol Hopefully however the actual Suns team realize how they have to play to beat the Spurs. It's not all about offense.

nope it's about jungle ball, knees, elbows, and piece of shit hip check tactics followed by i get by with a little from my friend (stern). al queda after witnessing game 4's hit on nash unleashed a barrage of AK bullets into the san antonio sky.

Johnny RIngo
07-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Suns fans make Mav fans look like THEY know basketball !

Arizona was ranked the stupidest state in the nation.

Can't expect much intelligence from a desert full of xenophobic old white guys.

Johnny RIngo
07-09-2007, 01:24 PM
nope it's about jungle ball, knees, elbows, and piece of shit hip check tactics followed by i get by with a little from my friend (stern). al queda after witnessing game 4's hit on nash unleashed a barrage of AK bullets into the san antonio sky.

Basketball according to S0ns fans:

Flopping, choke holds, elbows, no defense, one-dimensional offense

yourcheatinheart
07-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Basketball according to S0ns fans:

Flopping, choke holds, elbows, no defense, one-dimensional offense

hahaha, you have actually seen the spurs play haven't you? or does everyone else at your school all wear spurs shirts so you feel like you need to fit in??

yourcheatinheart
07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Arizona was ranked the stupidest state in the nation.

Can't expect much intelligence from a desert full of xenophobic old white guys.

how many time are you gonna quote that? i've seen you post that already and i've only been on here for a week. maybe if all the people from texas would stop moving here, we would be bumped back into the upper tier again. :reading

yourcheatinheart
07-09-2007, 01:31 PM
originality counts for alot Johnny, don't start playing for blood dead drunk now

spursfan09
07-09-2007, 01:41 PM
:lol ok so what about the other games Amare got to play in. HOw come the Suns couldn't beat us then?

saporvida
07-09-2007, 01:45 PM
:lol ok so what about the other games Amare got to play in. HOw come the Suns couldn't beat us then?

because like amare the rest of the suns and their fanbase are little bitches.

ancestron
07-09-2007, 02:00 PM

bitter much?

Playoff basketball is always rough and tough. Has been for eons. Its not the Spurs' fault the Suns didn't get the memo.

Johnny RIngo
07-09-2007, 02:06 PM
hahaha, you have actually seen the spurs play haven't you? or does everyone else at your school all wear spurs shirts so you feel like you need to fit in??

You Arizona kiddies are slow so I'll make it easier for you 'tards to understand.

Flopping: Steve Nash and Raja Bell

Choke holds, Elbows, Eye Gouges: Raja Bell and Shawn Marion

No Defense: Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, whole S0ns team

One-dimensional Offense: Whole Sons team

SpurOutofTownFan
07-09-2007, 09:27 PM
DAMN! I've been saying this shit all along in 3000 different ways.

Cry Havoc
07-09-2007, 10:48 PM

http://www.themightymjd.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/bellclothesline.jpg

I'm sorry asshole, what were you saying?

justanotherspursfan
07-09-2007, 10:59 PM
bitter much?

Playoff basketball is always rough and tough. Has been for eons. Its not the Spurs' fault the Suns didn't get the memo.
No, see, the Spurs are cheap and dirty, but back in the 80s, the Celtics knew how to clothesline people with class. :lol

carina_gino20
07-09-2007, 11:10 PM

Any thoughts?

If Timmy is in no way, shape, or form intimidating, how come they're touting him as the best power forward ever to play the game? You don't get there by being a soft player. Timmy may not be a chest-thumping kind of guy but inside, he's a cold-blooded assassin in that hardcourt. Remember what he said during the Phoenix series? The Spurs wouldn't let anybody walk through them. TD translation: We'll destroy anyone who gets in our way.

And I believe that if today's Manu were transplanted into the 80's with this Spurs team, he's going to love it and he's going to thrive on all that pressure. The guy's a competitor and a winner.

phyzik
07-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Fuck the Suns and fuck any other team that feels they got "screwed".... happens every fucking year.... suns fans just cant except it that they lost fair and square, thats probably the only difference. As far as Im concerned, Suns fans can have their asterisk parade run across the country, the fucking fact is the trophy rests here next to 3 others. Trophy's aren't given, they are fucking earned! until the Suns, and their fans, realize they are not the only ones getting screwed in the league, they wont win shit.... and thats perfectly fine with me.

ALL TEAMS GET SCREWED, ITS HOW YOU DEAL WITH IT THAT MAKES YOU A CHAMP!!

yourcheatinheart
07-10-2007, 12:32 AM
me=official shit stir, wow fucking god damn look how many championship feathers get ruffled for expressing an opinoin. wooo weeeee today was a blast. ************************************************** ***********************