PDA

View Full Version : EXTREME RUMOR: Garnett to Dallas set to happen?!?!

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 10:52 PM
DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks are close to finally making a major offseason move, acquiring Kevin Garnett in a six-player trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The Timberwolves would get guards Jason Terry and Greg Buckner; forward Josh Howard and centers DeSagana Diop and DJ Mbenga from the Mavericks for foward Kevin Garnett and Minnesota's 2nd round pick in the 2008 NBA Draft in the proposed deal secretly announced late Sunday night according to a person involved in the discussions.

The 6-foot-11 Garnett has averaged 20.5 points a game in his twelve NBA seasons, and was the Timberwolves' top scorer in the past season.

"Kevin Garnett would make us bigger and more versatile,'' said Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks' president of basketball operations. "It's a move that makes sense not only in the short term, but it keeps us healthy three or four years down the line.''

Josh Howard was the Mavericks' second leading scorer last season. During the playoffs, though Dallas lost in an epic first round series to the Golden State Warriors, the four-year veteran averaged 21.3 points -- over two points higher than his regular-season average in 70 games.

After reaching the NBA Finals for the first time in team history the year before, the Mavericks weren't able to land any big-name free agents, primarily Kenyon Martin who seemed destined for Dallas before staying put with Denver. San Antonio, Pheonix and the Utah Jazz, the other top teams in the Western Conference, had all already moves to upgrade their rosters.

Nelson said the Mavericks got calls from teams throughout the league thinking they would make any deal presented, but said they were content going into the new season without any major roster changes.

"We felt no internal pressure in making the deal. Our philosophy was almost the complete opposite,'' Nelson said. "The way this last summer panned out had been very odd. We felt in good position with Kenyon and things didn't work out. We got close on a lot of different things we would have executed that, for whatever reason, they didn't work out.''

Nelson said a possible deal with Minnesota originated from talks a year ago.

Minnesota general manager Kevin McHale says there are several advantages to a deal with his team.

"In the short term, we want to add talented players to our roster, while also providing an opportunity for some of our younger players to step up and play larger roles in our overall development,'' McHale said. "In the long term, a trade could provide us with some flexibility that we may not otherwise have had.''

The deal could allow Dallas to make a move while leaving alone its top duo of Dirk Nowitzki and Devin Harris. And with Nowitzki at power forward, Garnett would be able to play center.

Terry, a 8-year veteran, averaged 16.7 points and 5.2 assists last season. The Mavs would rather deal "the jet", but recent speculation may appear that McHale may demand the 6-3 PG Devin Harris from Wisconsin.

While playing in 76 games last season and averaging just 4.0 points and 2.1 rebounds a game, the 6-foot-4 Buckner averaged 12.6 points a game in 5 playoff games in 2005-06.

Mbenga was signed by the Mavericks in 2004, but played just 21 games last season with just 0.8 points a game. Goes by “D.J.” as his first name when pronunced (“Didier”) sounds similar to those initials and the “M” is silent in his last name. Mbenga is also a black belt in judo and speaks five languages: two dialects from the Congo, French, Portuguese and limited English.

Diop would step in with a team that has a young nucleus of Randy Foye, Josh Howard and Jason Terry. Diop also helps alleviate the loss of Kevin Garnett, who has played all twelve of his NBA seasons in Minnesota

Garnett, a 12-year NBA veteran, was Minnesota's captain last season. He has played 927 regular season NBA games with only one team. This rumored deal would upgrade the Mavericks backcourt significantly and a solid front court led by Devin Harris and recently re-signed Jerry Stackhouse, but would leave owner Mark Cuban with alot of work to do in the free agent market. Other possible free agent targets for the Mavericks this off season are rumored to include Charlotte's Gerald Wallace, Chicago's P.J. Brown, Miami's James Posey, Golden State's Matt Barnes and Philadelphia's Joe Smith

The Mavericks were 67-15 last season, first in the Southwest Division, and the #1 overal seed before losing in stunning fashion in six games to the eighth seeded Golden State Warriors.

Leetonidas
07-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Oh please God, let it happen. Two chokers on the same team, while sending out Howard and Diop...YES PLEASE!

Leetonidas
07-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Link, BTW?

JMarkJohns
07-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Link? Why would Dallas do this? All they have left is Dirk, Garnett and Harris, none of which are known for greatness as of yet.

Strange.

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Oh h/o let me pull up the link. Just copy and paste from some random site. You never know with some of them. Sometimes it's just people's opinions.

dimsah
07-08-2007, 10:58 PM
No shit! You're getting rid of Terry, Howard and Diop.
Just give us the division trophy now. Removing those 3 and adding Garnett does
not help you at all.

dirk4mvp
07-08-2007, 10:59 PM
no link?

reminds me of when that guy posted a fake article about Dallas trading for iverson.

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 11:00 PM
no link?

reminds me of when that guy posted a fake article about Dallas trading for iverson.

i did a good job on that one.

dirk4mvp
07-08-2007, 11:03 PM
i did a good job on that one.

that was stevallica

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56029

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 11:08 PM
that was stevallica

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56029

so that tells you what

stevallica
07-08-2007, 11:11 PM
see

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 11:12 PM
havnt used stevallica in a while

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 11:14 PM
anyway i hope this isnt true or else dallas is really hurting themselves and Minnesota turns into a contenter in 2 or 3 years.

monosylab1k
07-08-2007, 11:19 PM
i'd do this trade almost solely cuz it means I won't have to see the Most Worthless NBA Player Alive (Greg Buckner) suit up for the Mavericks.

this trade isn't nearly as dumb as ppl are making it out to be. But it's definitely risky.

I'd rather keep Terry and trade Harris, although I'm sure salary considerations are why Terry is the one involved.

It's a bullshit rumor anyways though.

SpursFanFirst
07-08-2007, 11:21 PM
so that tells you what

It tells us that we're still waiting for that link :lol

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 11:21 PM
i'd do this trade almost solely cuz it means I won't have to see the Most Worthless NBA Player Alive (Greg Buckner) suit up for the Mavericks.

this trade isn't nearly as dumb as ppl are making it out to be. But it's definitely risky.

I'd rather keep Terry and trade Harris, although I'm sure salary considerations are why Terry is the one involved.

It's a bullshit rumor anyways though.

why? just because he has a jumpshot? we can bring in a proven 3 point shooter if needed.

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 11:22 PM
It tells us that we're still waiting for that link :lol

I dont know where i got the article damn. i just found it ok?

monosylab1k
07-08-2007, 11:22 PM
why? just because he has a jumpshot? we can bring in a proven 3 point shooter if needed.

name one

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 11:25 PM
name one

Mo Peterson, Mickael Pietrus, Eddie Jones, James Posey, Desmond Mason, Devin Brown, Dee Brown..all of those guys can shoot the 3.

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 11:26 PM
I take that back dee brown cant shoot worth shit

monosylab1k
07-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Mo Peterson, Mickael Pietrus, Eddie Jones, James Posey, Desmond Mason, Devin Brown, Dee Brown..all of those guys can shoot the 3.

LOL nice intel. Desmond Mason took a grand total of ZERO three pointers last season.

Get your shit straight before comin to the plate, son.

BTW didn't we all say "George and Buckner can shoot the 3" before last season? How did that turn out?

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 11:30 PM
good so hes never missed one.

mavs>spurs2
07-08-2007, 11:31 PM

Desmond fucking Mason? Are you kidding me? :lmao

monosylab1k
07-08-2007, 11:32 PM
good so hes never missed one.

I wouldn't mind Posey as long as we keep him away from the buffet line. Mason is great and I want him too but he gives us no outside shooting. Other than that, no thanks to all those guys.

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Desmond fucking Mason? Are you kidding me? :lmao

Much better than Buckner and Ager(right now)

mavs>spurs2
07-08-2007, 11:33 PM
I know most mav fans have a major hard on for Devin Harris, but he's about to be in his 4th season and still isn't as good as Terry. How long does this guy get the benefit of the doubt? I'm not so sure we shouldn't send Harris/Howard instead of Terry/Howard. If we lose Terry's outside shooting along with Howard we are going to be fucked.

Ken Loomis
07-08-2007, 11:33 PM
:elephant :elephant :elephant DO IT! Harris+Dirk+KG= NBA CHAMPIONS! Add in the possibility of signing Gerald Wallace to be our new Josh Howard! Holy crap this would make the Mavs so unstoppable and so scary!!

monosylab1k
07-08-2007, 11:34 PM
:elephant :elephant :elephant DO IT! Harris+Dirk+KG= NBA CHAMPIONS! Add in the possibility of signing Gerald Wallace to be our new Josh Howard! Holy crap this would make the Mavs so unstoppable and so scary!!

Getting KG means zero chance at Wallace.

mavs>spurs2
07-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Much better than Buckner and Ager(right now)

We were talking about shooters. You included him in a list of SHOOTERS. Buckner and Ager are better shooters than Mason.

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 11:35 PM
maybe mason isnt a SHOOTER, but hes a scorer and has some balls.

Ken Loomis
07-08-2007, 11:36 PM

Then get Mo Pete,Desmond, Eddie Griffin, Jalen Rose or someone like that.

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 11:37 PM

They only way we get wallace is in a sign and trade. if we pull this proposed deal we would have nothing left to deal.

monosylab1k
07-08-2007, 11:38 PM

mason is a good addition to this team no matter what, but it would really suck if this team all of a sudden finally got decent in the middle and then couldn't hit an outside shot to save their life.

But then again, they couldn't hit an outside shot to save their life against the Warriors. :oops

mavs>spurs2
07-08-2007, 11:38 PM

Shooting is exactly what we'll need if we give up Jet and Howard.

A line-up of Harris, Stack, Mason, Dirk, and KG would fail miserably. You would have all guys that like to penetrate but no shooters to help spread the floor so those guys can penetrate. No, no, no, no........

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 11:39 PM
This deal would leave us like this

Harris
Stackhouse
?
Dirk
Garnett

Bench:
Ager
Dampier
Terry
Fazekas

We would have to sign 3-4 good role players if this deal happened.

Leetonidas
07-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Still waiting for that link...

monosylab1k
07-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Shooting is exactly what we'll need if we give up Jet and Howard.

A line-up of Harris, Stack, Mason, Dirk, and KG would fail miserably. You would have all guys that like to penetrate but no shooters to help spread the floor so those guys can penetrate. No, no, no, no........

Dirk would love that lineup cuz he could go back to his old days of camping at the 3 point line. And with the lack of shooting, he'd probably have to do that for us to have a chance.

mavs>spurs2
07-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Dirk would love that lineup cuz he could go back to his old days of camping at the 3 point line. And with the lack of shooting, he'd probably have to do that for us to have a chance.

Dirk becoming even more of a pussy jumpshooter would spell doom for this team. I like the Dirk that takes it to the hole for the and 1 with the game on the line in game 7 against the spurs.

dallaskd
07-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Say you throw Posey, pj brown, and dee brown in there. would we really be that bad off. a george return isnt out of reach. Reyshawn Terry can light it up from the 3. You guys have forgotten we have the 3 point shoot out winner in dirk.

mavs>spurs2
07-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Say you throw Posey, pj brown, and dee brown in there. would we really be that bad off. a george return isnt out of reach. Reyshawn Terry can light it up from the 3. You guys have forgotten we have the 3 point shoot out winner in dirk.

I would love to have those two, but is it realistic? How much would Posey ask for?

Amarelooms
07-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Waayyy too much to give up for KG. I would not give em Diop or Mbenga. Terry and Howard with Bucker is all. Reason why Mavs lost is because they have no SHOOTERS that can spread the floor. You'd be giving up 2 of your best jump shooters. Also how can KG and Dirk work?? Who plays what? I dont like it. Much rather have Kobe here instead of KG.

monosylab1k
07-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Still waiting for that link...
http://www.storyarts.org/library/aesops/stories/boy.html

mavs>spurs2
07-08-2007, 11:47 PM
Reason why Mavs lost is because they have no SHOOTERS that can spread the floor. You'd be giving up 2 of your best jump shooters.

We actually had shooters, it's just they choked and couldn't hit a damn thing that particular series.

Amarelooms
07-08-2007, 11:50 PM
We actually had shooters, it's just they choked and couldn't hit a damn thing that particular series.

George and Bucker are crap. Terry played like shit and Josh is a streaky shooter at best. KG & Dirk combo alone with garbage will not get you a ring. Two PF that play outside-in is destine to fail. I hope Cuban is not this dumb.

mavs>spurs2
07-08-2007, 11:51 PM
George and Bucker are crap. Terry played like shit and Josh is a steaky shooter at best. KG & Dirk combo alone with garbage will not get you a ring. Two PF that play outside in is destine to fail. I hope Cuban is not this dumb.

When I said we had shooters I was talking about Terry and Howard. Exactly why we can't let them both go.

Jeremy
07-09-2007, 12:09 AM
The "story" was taken from this old story from 2003: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/story?id=1598671

In other words, it's bogus folks.

MrChug
07-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Link, BTW?

Minor detail. :lol

StylisticS
07-09-2007, 12:31 AM
I know most mav fans have a major hard on for Devin Harris, but he's about to be in his 4th season and still isn't as good as Terry. How long does this guy get the benefit of the doubt? I'm not so sure we shouldn't send Harris/Howard instead of Terry/Howard. If we lose Terry's outside shooting along with Howard we are going to be fucked.

Then leave him on the court and let him learn and grow. This works in all walks of life. Tired of seeing Harris benched just because he makes the slightest mistake. He's always going to be the way he is if this continues to happen to him in his career. Harris does need to shoot better but he's a damn good finisher and makes a conscious effort to go to the basket and free throw line.

I hope this deal is false btw.

kolko
07-09-2007, 12:34 AM
fake

dirk4mvp
07-09-2007, 12:48 AM
fake

we know that already :lol

Kori Ellis
07-09-2007, 12:50 AM
Don't post stuff here without links. At least if it's fake, post a fake link, so that everyone can click on it and get the joke.

Thanks.

AnkleBreaker21
07-09-2007, 12:53 AM
so wheres the fake link dallaskd:lol

aaronstampler
07-09-2007, 01:24 AM
Of course it's a fake. You people needed a link? Donnie Nelson isn't an idiot. An NBA GM isn't going to talk about openly trying to deal for another team's player before the deal is done. Garnett's got a contract and that'd be tampering.

Plus getting KG wouldn't exactly make the Mavs "younger"

BradLohaus
07-09-2007, 01:41 AM
If this had a shred of truth to it wouldn't hoopshype be all over it? They surely wouldn't be leading off with the Devean George signing, which they are as of right now.

http://www.hoopshype.com/

dbreiden83080
07-09-2007, 01:46 AM
LOL Mavs are giving up more than they are getting back so go ahead and make it happen, you won't be any better.

Johnny RIngo
07-09-2007, 04:01 AM
That looks like a really unbalanced trade. Blowing up the team for KG is not the way to go IMO.

Tweaking the squad with smaller pieces is far more safe and reliable.

Findog
07-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Ain't happening....Garnett makes so much money, you have to send so much back in order to make it work under the cap. This would gut the team for Garnett. And the Mavs aren't stupid.

dallaskd
07-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Garnett will be in Golden State

dirk4mvp
07-09-2007, 09:36 AM

good for us

LEONARD
07-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Fake...

But don't count Dallas out yet...

NBA Junkie
07-09-2007, 12:48 PM

That's just as bogus as this rumor. Golden State would have to give up about 4-5 players just to match his salary.

thispego
07-09-2007, 02:06 PM
yeah, no shit. harris sucks

Slinkyman
07-09-2007, 02:54 PM
why would Dallas want KG? Kobe sure! But KG? His game is almost the same as Dirk's, they'd just get in each other's way. Dallas should just stand pat.

sribb43
07-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Lock this thread it is worthless

yourcheatinheart
07-09-2007, 04:50 PM
garnett for dirk...that's the only way i see it work

exstatic
07-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I knew it was fake when they mentioned Kenyon Martin. :lol:rollin