PDA

View Full Version : Summer League: Devin Brown > Any 2007 SL Spur

lebomb
07-09-2007, 08:38 AM
..........not to beat a dead horse, but dayum.....the difference is unbelievable. I believe Devin avg. about 18-20pts a game for most of the summer before he was signed with the Spurs. I highly doubt any of our guys will ever see 20pts the way it looks.

Dont know who yall were, but there were a WHOLE lotta people saying Devin couldnt play and would be a bust. He is certainly alot better than many guys in this years SL Ive seen......and this includes a ton of other players on different squads.

It looks like its pretty tough to average 18-20pts a game for the entire summer league. Devin Brown did it.

:(

Soul_Patch
07-09-2007, 08:53 AM
it looks to me that J white will do ok. he seems to pretty much do what he wants with the ball.

i havent watched a whole lot, but from what ive seen.

Solid D
07-09-2007, 08:53 AM
From what I hear, Devin might have continued with the Spurs had he been more disciplined with his attention to time and work habits.

Darkwaters
07-09-2007, 09:03 AM
The Spurs summer league team this year is a little disappointing. With PGs that shoot all day long and have never been taught to pass its hard for certain players to get on the board.

SAGambler
07-09-2007, 09:16 AM
I always liked Devin, and often wondered why the Spurs chose to let him go. I always thought maybe because of the back injury and they were afraid he wouldn't recover from it. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him back in a Spurs uniform, but I doubt that is ever going to happen.

But keep an eye on White. He has the ability to score that much per game in SL. But like someone said, it looks like the PGs aren't very adept at passing the ball, so that could be a hindrance.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2007, 09:17 AM
It's summer league. Guards dominate. Spurs have a bunch of throwaways playing PG, SG.

Good for Devin, he can light up a glorified rec league. Maybe if he worked harder and made it to practice on time, he'd still be here.

peewee's lovechild
07-09-2007, 09:19 AM
White will turn out to be a solid player, we just got to have a little patience with his developement.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Devin averaged 16 ppg and shot 40% in the Spurs summer league in 2004. He didn't exactly dominate, but he was one of the better scorers in the league. It should be noted that he already had 1 1/2 seasons of NBA experience at that point.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2007, 09:58 AM
I found the 2003 stats - that summer he averaged 15.2.

spursincharge
07-09-2007, 10:17 AM
I once had someone in the Spurs organization tell me that Devin wasted his opportunities. He didn't show up for practice on time and often was out at bars the night before games. He was still living his UTSA life at the Spurs. And his relationship with UTSA Coach Tim Carter wasn't exactly the greatest either.

lebomb
07-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Devin averaged 16 ppg and shot 40% in the Spurs summer league in 2004. He didn't exactly dominate, but he was one of the better scorers in the league. It should be noted that he already had 1 1/2 seasons of NBA experience at that point.

Thanks.......I guess I saw his last couple of games where he hit 20 something. :(

texasqb2
07-09-2007, 10:24 AM
I love how you guys all want to praise guys like Devin Brown and Stephen Jackson. The Spurs saw these guys up close every day and know what kind of people they are. They didn't fit in and we let both of them go without a fight. They will never be spurs again....let it rest

lebomb
07-09-2007, 10:26 AM
They will never be spurs again....let it rest

We know.......we are just talking dude.....calm down.
:rolleyes

http://www.nba.com/media/celtics/03SL_Spurs6.pdf

lebomb
07-09-2007, 10:30 AM
2003 All-League First Team: John Salmons MVP (Philly), Kedrick Brown (Boston), Brandon Hunter (Boston), Devin Brown (San Antonio) and Donny Marshall (New Jersey)

2003 All-League Second Team: Marcus Banks (Boston), Juan Dixon (Washington), TJ Ford (Milwaukee), Carlos Boozer (Cleveland) and Brian Scalabrene (New Jersey).

timvp
07-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Actually, Devin first played for the Washington Wizards summer league team in 2002. He was the team's point guard and wasn't overly impressive.

I wish the Spurs still had Devin and think he's probably better than Barry or Finley, but it's time to move on. Not taking basketball seriously enough cost Devin his shot of sticking with the Spurs.

After an impressive season with the Hornets, hopefully Devin cashes in and gets some long term security.

timvp
07-09-2007, 10:33 AM
I love how you guys all want to praise guys like Devin Brown and Stephen Jackson. The Spurs saw these guys up close every day and know what kind of people they are. They didn't fit in and we let both of them go without a fight. They will never be spurs again....let it restThe Spurs tried to reacquire SJax before going with Barry. And right now if Devin could be had for the minimum, they'd sign him.

So the talk is still valid.

SequSpur
07-09-2007, 12:07 PM
The Spurs tried to reacquire SJax before going with Barry. And right now if Devin could be had for the minimum, they'd sign him.

So the talk is still valid.

Bonner gets 9 million because he has red hair and is white.. and now Devin deserves the minimum.... :lmao

saporvida
07-09-2007, 02:01 PM
i would never say an ex-spur has no chance of coming back and being part of the roster. i mean shit we took back nick van exel for christs sake.

im also not saying i want devin back. devin brown had his moments while being a spur but i dont think the FO made a mistake sending him elsewhere.

Solid D
07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
i would never say an ex-spur has no chance of coming back and being part of the roster. i mean **** we took back nick van exel ...

Nick Van Exel was only a Spur for 1 year. That was in 2005-06.

saporvida
07-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Nick Van Exel was only a Spur for 1 year. That was in 2005-06.

i was under the impression we picked his ass up a long time ago... my bad.

ok then lets look at sean elliott and avery johnson. though only one of those 2 examples are worth a damn and that being elliott!

Kori Ellis
07-09-2007, 02:38 PM
i was under the impression we picked his ass up a long time ago... my bad.

ok then lets look at sean elliott and avery johnson. though only one of those 2 examples are worth a damn and that being elliott!

Neither Sean nor Avery had work ethic issues. Devin isn't here because, by his own admission and from people with the Spurs, he didn't work hard when he was here. In fact, he was lazy, missed practices, was late, and overall had a bad work ethic.

Slinkyman
07-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Bonner gets 9 million because he has red hair and is white.. and now Devin deserves the minimum.... :lmao

don't mess with white guys with red hair!
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/54/039_20147~Chuck-Norris-Posters.jpg

SsKSpurs21
07-09-2007, 06:35 PM
on the news, i heard that the spurs were looking at duhon in exchange for the rights to scola...the problem was the spurs were turned off by duhons love for the clubs and his frequent partying...

now i know devin brown also was an avid club goer. ive seen him several times at planeta. i wonder if that had anything to do with him getting re-signed, in addition to what solid D stated.

spursincharge
07-09-2007, 08:49 PM
on the news, i heard that the spurs were looking at duhon in exchange for the rights to scola...the problem was the spurs were turned off by duhons love for the clubs and his frequent partying...

now i know devin brown also was an avid club goer. ive seen him several times at planeta. i wonder if that had anything to do with him getting re-signed, in addition to what solid D stated.

LOL I bet they picked that rumor up off this board.

ALVAREZ6
07-09-2007, 08:58 PM
And Devin has also been in the league for a while now.

Taco
07-10-2007, 12:36 PM
From what I hear, Devin might have continued with the Spurs had he been more disciplined with his attention to time and work habits.

http://www.funfilesandsmiles.com/smileys/BottomsUp.gif

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-10-2007, 12:47 PM
I've never had the Devin Brown love that so many San Antonians have. Must be the UTSA connection.