View Full Version : Rebellion in Dimm-o-craptic Party Too

xrayzebra
07-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Well lookie here.....

Sheehan Considers Challenge to Pelosi
Jul 8 08:56 PM US/Eastern
By ANGELA K. BROWN
Associated Press Writer
CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) - Cindy Sheehan, the soldier's mother who galvanized the anti-war movement, said Sunday that she plans to seek House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's congressional seat unless she introduces articles of impeachment against President Bush in the next two weeks.

Sheehan said she will run against the San Francisco Democrat in 2008 as an independent if Pelosi does not seek by July 23 to impeach Bush. That's when Sheehan and her supporters are to arrive in Washington, D.C., after a 13-day caravan and walking tour starting next week from the group's war protest site near Bush's Crawford ranch.

"Democrats and Americans feel betrayed by the Democratic leadership," Sheehan told The Associated Press. "We hired them to bring an end to the war. I'm not too far from San Francisco, so it wouldn't be too big of a move for me. I would give her a run for her money."

Pelosi spokesman Brendan Daly said the congresswoman has said repeatedly that her focus is on ending the war in Iraq.

"She believes that the best way to support our troops in Iraq is to bring them home safely and soon," Daly said in an e-mail to the AP. "July will be a month of action in Congress to end the war, including a vote to redeploy our troops by next spring."

The White House declined to comment on Sheehan's plans.

She plans her official candidacy announcement Tuesday. Sunday wrapped up what is expected to be her final weekend at the 5-acre Crawford lot that she sold to California radio talk show host Bree Walker, who plans to keep it open to protesters.

"The land itself has historical value," Walker said. "It is the first people's movement of the 21st century, and it needs to be kept as the hallowed ground that it is."

Sheehan announced in late May that she was leaving the anti-war movement. She said that she felt her efforts had been in vain and that she had endured smear tactics and hatred from the left, as well as the right. She said she wanted to change course.

She first came to Crawford in August 2005 during a Bush vacation, demanding to talk to him about the war that killed her son Casey in She became the face of the anti-war movement during her 26-day roadside vigil, which was joined by thousands. But it also drew counter-protests by Bush supporters, many who said she was hurting troop morale.

Sheehan, who has never held political office, recently said that she was leaving the Democratic Party because it "caved" in to the president. Last week, she announced her caravan to Washington, an undertaking she calls the "people's accountability movement."

"I didn't expect to be back so soon, but the focus is different than it was before," Sheehan said Sunday. "Instead of talking and making accusations, we're going into communities and talking to the people who've been hurt by the Bush regime. We're finding out how we can help people."

Sheehan, who will turn 50 on Tuesday, said Bush should be impeached because she believes he misled the public about the reasons for going to war, violated the Geneva Convention by torturing detainees, and crossed the line by commuting the prison sentence of former vice presidential aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby. She said other grounds for impeachment are the domestic spying program and the "inadequate and tragic" response to Hurricane Katrina.

Libby was convicted of lying and obstructing justice in an investigation into the leak of a CIA officer's identity.

Sheehan said she hopes Pelosi files the articles of impeachment so Sheehan can move onto her next projects, including overseas trips for humanitarian work. But if not, Sheehan said she is ready to run for office.

"I'm doing it to encourage other people to run against Congress members who aren't doing their jobs, who are beholden to special interests," Sheehan said. "She (Pelosi) let the people down who worked hard to put Democrats back in power, who we thought were our hope for change."

Pelosi was elected to the House in 1987 and became the first female speaker in January.

Sheehan said she lives in a Sacramento suburb but declined to disclose which city, citing safety reasons. The area is outside Pelosi's district, but there are no residency requirements for congressional members, according to the California secretary of state's office.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

When :oink fly then Sheenhan will win that seat.... :devil :dizzy broad.

Extra Stout
07-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Sheehan is not so much a Democrat as much as she is an unhinged lunatic.

Yonivore
07-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Sheehan is not so much a Democrat as much as she is an unhinged lunatic.
Yeah, an unhinged lunatic the Democrats embraced. Talk about reaping what you sow.

I can't wait to see if Pelosi breaks yet another promise in order to keep this dog at bay a little longer.

Soul_Patch
07-09-2007, 10:57 AM
lol...sheehan is still around? wtf doesnt the lady have to work?

Yonivore
07-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Would you hire her?

Extra Stout
07-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Yeah, an unhinged lunatic the Democrats embraced. Talk about reaping what you sow.

I can't wait to see if Pelosi breaks yet another promise in order to keep this dog at bay a little longer.
The days when people thought she was just a principled mother grieving her son and wanting to speak her mind are long gone. The horror the Democratic leadership must have felt when they realized she was a member of the tinfoil-hat brigade who reinforced all the negative stereotypes about Democrats!

You reap what you sow indeed.

shelshor
07-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Staying in the spotlight is probably more important

Would you hire her?
Not unless I wanted to go out of business

George Gervin's Afro
07-09-2007, 11:35 AM

Yeah like the GOP did when they didn't pass a marriage amendment..thise same right wingers decided to stay home in 2006 after yrs of being lied to.talk about reaping what you sow..

Yonivore
07-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah like the GOP did when they didn't pass a marriage amendment..thise same right wingers decided to stay home in 2006 after yrs of being lied to.talk about reaping what you sow..
Much of the "Contract with America" legislation was passed by the Gingrich House in record time. Name one promised piece of legislation, promised by the Pelosi House, that has been passed.

Extra Stout
07-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Much of the "Contract with America" legislation was passed by the Gingrich House in record time. Name one promised piece of legislation, promised by the Pelosi House, that has been passed.
They did raise the minimum wage.

Yonivore
07-09-2007, 11:48 AM
They did raise the minimum wage.
Yeah, had to tack it onto a military spending bill. But, you're right, they did achieve that.

Yonivore
07-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Of course, initiating three investigations a day, for the first hundred days of your brand new Democratic Congress, might put a cramp in the amount of time given to your Constitutional mandate of legislating.

Jamtas#2
07-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I don't know if I would call her crazy for this statement. A bold move but not crazy. I actually think a lot of people feel that way about the Democratic leadership and how if gave all the big promises to get elected and then bailed on it choosing to go on thier own witch hunt (like the Republicans did to Clinton) to score political points. Good for her to call out Pelosi, she's got enough fame to make her voice heard (obviously since we have a thread about it) and make the Democrats have to address her point.

Nbadan
07-09-2007, 06:05 PM
About time someone called out Pelosi for her non-impeach clause.

Why have they not started the impeachment process?

Ocotillo
07-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Much of the "Contract on America" legislation was passed by the Gingrich House in record time. Name one promised piece of legislation, promised by the Pelosi House, that has been passed.

Fixed.

Nbadan
07-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Ummmmm..yeah....I think the problem here, like always, is the lack of real info, not congress...

DEFEND OUR COUNTRY

require benchmarks and progress report requirements for the war in Iraq—SIGNED INTO LAW

support timetables to bring our troops home from Iraq—VETOED BY THE PRESIDENT OVER THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE

provide critical support for veterans, military health care and military readiness—SIGNED INTO LAW

provide the largest increase in support for veterans’ services in history—PASSED THE HOUSE

require quality care for our wounded warriors—PASSED THE HOUSE

Implement 9-11 Commission recommendations, three years later—PASSED THE HOUSE AND SENATE

provide 3,000 new border patrol agents and tougher aviation and port security—PASSED THE HOUSE

provide emergency wildfire funding—SIGNED INTO LAW

RESTORE ACCOUNTABILITY

restore pay-as-you-go budget discipline for the first time in six years—DONE

pass a budget that balances by 2012 with no tax increase—DONE

impose rules for the highest ethical standards in Congressional history—DONE

pass the most sweeping lobby reform effort in a generation—PASSED THE HOUSE AND SENATE

restore strong Congressional oversight, saving billions, exposing corruption and incompetence—ONGOING

clean up government contracting with reforms to end waste, fraud, and
abuse—PASSED THE HOUSE

provide more protections for whistleblowers who save tax dollars—PASSED THE HOUSE

bring overdue assistance to Gulf Coast communities—SIGNED INTO LAW

remove politics from influencing the appointment of U.S. Attorneys in the wake of White House scandal—SIGNED INTO LAW

GROW OUR ECONOMY

increase the minimum wage for the first time in a decade—SIGNED INTO LAW

send overdue disaster aid to American farmers and ranchers—SIGNED INTO LAW

create innovation scholarships for 100,000 math and science students and 25,000 highly trained math and science teachers—PASSED THE HOUSE

double basic research and development funding—PASSED THE HOUSE AND SENATE

create incentives for small business innovation investments—PASSED THE HOUSE

STRENGTHEN OUR FAMILIES

provide emergency assistance to ensure children receive quality health care through SCHIP (State Children’s Health Insurance Plan)—SIGNED INTO LAW

require Medicare to negotiate cheaper prescription drugs—PASSED THE HOUSE

prevent health care discrimination based on inherited conditions—PASSED THE HOUSE AND SENATE

expand medical science through stem cell research—VETOED BY THE PRESIDENT OVER THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE

cut student loan interest rates in half and crack down on lending abuses—PASSED THE HOUSE

improve and expand Head Start preschool—PASSED THE HOUSE AND SENATE

convene the National Summit on America’s Children—aligning policies with cutting-edge science—DONE

put 50,000 new police officers on the street—PASSED THE HOUSE

facilitate states in reporting criminal and mental health data for gun purchase background checks—PASSED THE HOUSE

PRESERVE THE PLANET

by July 4th, deliver a wide-ranging Energy Independence Day initiative to strengthen our national security, create new American jobs, and reduce global warming—REPORTED TO HOUSE

repeal $14 billion in taxpayer subsidies to Big Oil to be reinvested into clean alternative energy and energy efficiency—PASSED THE HOUSE

fight gas price gouging and OPEC price fixing—PASSED THE HOUSE AND SENATE

direct $3 billion to curb global warming and spur renewable energy—PASSED THE HOUSE

develop a plan to Green the Capitol, reducing the carbon footprint 50%—DONE

expand our efforts to ensure safe drinking water—PASSED THE HOUSE

Nbadan
07-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Sheehan posted a diary on dailykos (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/7/9/92356/44191) about running in Pelosi's district. She said, among other things...

I was a life-long Democrat only because the choices were limited. The Democrats are the party of slavery and were the party that started every war in the 20th Century except the other Bush debacle. The Federal Reserve, permanent federal (and unconstitutional) income taxes, Japanese Concentration Camps and, not one, but two atom bombs dropped on the innocent citizens of Japan were brought to us via the Democrats. Don’t tell me the Democrats are our “Saviors” because I am not buying it especially after they bought and purchased more caskets and more devastating pain when they financed and co-facilitated more of George’s abysmal occupation and they are allowing a melt down of our representative Republic by allowing the evils of the executive branch to continue unrestrained by their silent complicity. Good change has happened during Democratic regimes, but as in the civil rights and union movements, the positive changes occurred because of the people not the politicians.

What Demo is gonna support that? Still, if Sheehan can get the thought of impeaching Dubya out in the M$M, instead of the usual conspiracy theory stigma that are always attached to these stories, that's a good thing...

Extra Stout
07-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Still, if Sheehan can get the thought of impeaching Dubya out in the M$M, instead of the usual conspiracy theory stigma that are always attached to these stories, that's a good thing...
Having her name attached to the idea immediately marginalizes it. I think Stalin was a better friend to America than that cunt.

Ocotillo
07-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Still, if Sheehan can get the thought of impeaching Dubya out in the M$M, instead of the usual conspiracy theory stigma that are always attached to these stories, that's a good thing...

Maybe the recent poll showing 46% of Americans support impeachment of Bush will get things rolling. The MSM is enthralled with polls and with Cheney getting 51% support for impeachment, they may start falling all over themselves with polling on the subject.

Yonivore
07-09-2007, 07:37 PM
About time someone called out Pelosi for her non-impeach clause.

Why have they not started the impeachment process?
Exactly what are the impeachable offenses?

Yonivore
07-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Maybe the recent poll showing 46% of Americans support impeachment of Bush will get things rolling. The MSM is enthralled with polls and with Cheney getting 51% support for impeachment, they may start falling all over themselves with polling on the subject.
A poll that oversampled Democrats? Yeah, that's meaningful.

possessed
07-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Have a link for this?

Ocotillo
07-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Have a link for this?

I heard about it on the radio but here you go.......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070706/pl_afp/uspoliticsbush

Ocotillo
07-09-2007, 08:31 PM
A poll that oversampled Democrats? Yeah, that's meaningful.

Keep whistling past that graveyard..........

possessed
07-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I heard about it on the radio but here you go.......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070706/pl_afp/uspoliticsbush
Thanks. Looks like a sample of a little over 900 people.

Went to their website. http://www.americanresearchgroup.com/
I'm not a Democrat, so someone explain what the fascination behind Hillary Clinton is. Obama seems to be slipping a bit, but of the Democrats he's the one I like best.

Ocotillo
07-09-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm not a Democrat, so someone explain what the fascination behind Hillary Clinton is.

I am not sure other than intellectual laziness, in other words, name ID. Of course, the press is somewhat lazy on this as well in that they are focused on this horse race stuff this far out.

I dread Clinton redux. As it is now, rightwingers justify every failure and shortcoming they have with a sentence that begins "But Clinton". Nonetheless, the right wing noise machine will launch into full smear mode no matter who is nominated on the Democratic side.

Wild Cobra
07-09-2007, 11:15 PM
They did raise the minimum wage.Yeah, had to tack it onto a military spending bill. But, you're right, they did achieve that.
They probably could have passed minimum wage on a stand-alone bill too. I don't recall to much resistance on it after no change for so many years.

fyatuk
07-10-2007, 07:34 AM
They probably could have passed minimum wage on a stand-alone bill too. I don't recall to much resistance on it after no change for so many years.

The only resistence to it (and rightfully resistant) was tax breaks for businesses to cover some of the added payroll cost. Democrats didn't want to include that on the same legislation because they wanted a piece of legislation they could hold up and say was completely theirs, but Republicans wouldn't pass it without it. NOTE: Dems caved, even with putting min wage on the military spending bill, they also included the tax breaks for businesses.

Yonivore
07-10-2007, 12:00 PM
This Democratic Congress is inept and incompetent and they deserve the 14% approval rating for which they've worked so hard.

On the three major issues on which they ran, Ethics, Earmarks, and Iraq, they've accomplished zero.

DarkReign
07-10-2007, 12:08 PM
This Democratic Congress is inept and incompetent and they deserve the 14% approval rating for which they've worked so hard.

On the three major issues on which they ran, Ethics, Earmarks, and Iraq, they've accomplished zero.

True. But that 14% isnt solely based on all the newcomers if youre trying to be honest.

I think, unfortunately, Americans see Congress as a conglomerate of presidential term, not a 2 year semi-turnover that it is.

Oh, Gee!!
07-10-2007, 12:19 PM
A lone wolf on the far left fringe of the democratic party threatening to run a race which she'll never win in a million years does not a rebellion make. Still, that was a nice try, Xray.

xrayzebra
07-10-2007, 12:40 PM
A lone wolf on the far left fringe of the democratic party threatening to run a race which she'll never win in a million years does not a rebellion make. Still, that was a nice try, Xray.

I thought I said that in my original post. But you really
never know. It is San Francisco you know. :lol

I just love it tho when the chicken come home to roost.

Oh, Gee!!
07-10-2007, 12:41 PM
so did Malcolm X