PDA

View Full Version : Rashad McCants believes KG stays in Minnesota

NBA Junkie
07-09-2007, 12:43 PM
LAS VEGAS - One of Kevin Garnett's closest friends on the Timberwolves said the face of the franchise doesn't want to play anywhere else.

Guard Rashad McCants has heard all the trade rumors and speculation about Garnett but doesn't buy it.

"We really try not to talk about basketball when we're around each other," McCants said Sunday. "It's a friendship. We try to leave that on-court stuff out of the way. But we talked about it a couple of times, scenarios and places. There's no other place he wants to be. When you're a king in your own kingdom, why would you want to go somewhere else?"

The "it's cool to be the king" line of reasoning could keep Garnett in Minnesota.

But Garnett could force the trade issue if he decides being a prince on another team, especially a championship contender, would be preferable.

McCants didn't sound too worried that Garnett would be wearing a different jersey next season.

"I heard the same kind of thing last year," McCants said. "It's a recurring act just to stir up some controversy and so forth. K.G. doesn't want to go anywhere. I don't want him to go anywhere. I know a lot of the Minnesota fans don't want him to go anywhere. But it's a business, and we just have to respect (management's) decisions."

The potential suitors for Garnett in recent weeks reportedly included the Phoenix Suns, Los Angeles Lakers, Golden State Warriors and Boston Celtics.

Garnett has said he wants to be surrounded with players who could
help him win, and in order for the Wolves to reach the playoffs, the younger members of the Wolves competing in the Las Vegas summer league must improve.
Vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale has labeled McCants, Randy Foye and Craig Smith as the team's nucleus for the future, and they are expected to see plenty of playing time next season. First-round draft pick Corey Brewer also will be in the mix.

They could be an impressive unit in a year or two, but it's a stretch to expect them to lift the Wolves to the playoffs this season.

The Wolves' front office must know that. McHale said recently he's working on trades to improve the roster, although he said he wouldn't trade Garnett unless it gave the team the "best opportunity" to win.

Smith said he tries to ignore the trade talk. He said teammates assume Garnett will be a member of the Wolves next season.

"But you never know," Smith said. "It's a business."

If the Wolves do move Garnett, an up-and-coming core of young players assembled to complement an all-star suddenly would be thrust into much bigger roles. And they wouldn't have Garnett to show them the way.

"It would change a lot," Smith said. "I learned a lot in one year from him. He's been a great leader and a great friend off the court. I'd hate to see him go."

The Wolves are scheduled to play five summer league games, including tonight's opener against New Orleans. The summer league is a showcase mostly for young players and those hoping to get a shot at making an NBA roster.

For McCants, Foye and Smith, the summer league is a chance to develop their skills in hopes they can help their team reach the playoffs for the first time since 2004.

They hope that team will include Garnett.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_6329241?nclick_check=1