PDA

View Full Version : Houston to host 2006 NBA All-Star game

ducks
12-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Houston to host 2006 NBA All-Star game

December 7, 2004

HOUSTON (Ticker) - Houston has been tabbed as the host city for the 2006 NBA All-Star Game, the league announced Tuesday.

The game, to be played February 19, 2006 at the Toyota Center, will be the second All-Star contest in Houston, which also hosted the 1989 game before a record crowd of 44,735 at the Astrodome.

That year, the West posted a 143-134 victory behind Karl Malone's 28 points and John Stockton's 17 assists. Malone and Stockton were co-MVPs.

ADVERTISEMENT
The All-Star weekend festivities include the Rookie Challenge, three-point shootout and slam dunk contest, along with shooting and skills competitions.

This season's All-Star game will take place in Denver.

thispego
12-07-2004, 08:18 PM
hmmmmm, am i mistaken or did'nt houston just host the baseball allstar game??? lammmmmmmeeee....

Ignite
12-08-2004, 12:00 AM
The NBA players will be quite comfortable in Houston's smog considering they smoke alot anyway.

Dex
12-08-2004, 01:41 AM
I know San Antonio just hosted at the Alamodome a few years ago (Was it 99? When Barry had that sick dunk from the foul line for the Dunk Contest) but considering they just opened the SBC Center here and it is being billed as one of the nicest (as well as winningest) arenas in the NBA, what do you think the odds are of the ASG finding it's way around here again soon?

Drachen
12-08-2004, 01:56 AM
hmmmmm, am i mistaken or did'nt houston just host the baseball allstar game??? lammmmmmmeeee....

Didnt they host the super-bowl too?

Kori Ellis
12-08-2004, 02:10 AM
what do you think the odds are of the ASG finding it's way around here again soon?

Since the SBC Center is occupied by the Rodeo during All-Star time, then I don't think the Game will be coming back to S.A. anytime soon.

Wasn't it 1995 when it was here the last time?

jalbre6
12-08-2004, 04:19 AM
Back about Houston, I remember reading about the huge PR campaign the city was paying for in Texas Monthly (the cover has the Hello, my name is Houston sticker on it) a couple of years back, and attracting the Super Bowl, MLB and NBA All-Star games, and tennis and golf tournaments were big goals of theirs. Seems like whoever they hired has their shit together.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-09-2004, 12:08 AM

Yep. Still have the credential to prove it.

You know what I'm thinking...SpursTalk roadtrip!

SpursFanInAustin
12-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Since the SBC Center is occupied by the Rodeo during All-Star time, then I don't think the Game will be coming back to S.A. anytime soon.

Wasn't it 1995 when it was here the last time?

1996. Twas the year David Robinson and Sean Elliott both played in the all-star game in SA. And Brent Barry won the slam dunk competition.