PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Butler Interview

timvp
07-10-2007, 02:16 AM
You looked much more comfortable out there today, Jackie. What was the difference for you?
Rest, man. Back in San Antonio playing two-a-days . . .if I could get a little rest I'd be alright. That's all it is, just a little rest. Go to the hotel, get some sleep, and just wait for the next game. My energy was much better today. I hit a couple of shots and ran the floor a little better than I did in the first two games, so I'm back ready now.

Does it also help that as the summer league moves along you get to know your teammates better?
We have some good players on our team, and everyone's trying to get their rhythm and get it going. I feel everybody on the team and we're trying to get it going. We've just got to slow down and take our time and run our plays. Everybody will be great, man.

Does watching your team win a championship inspire you to work even harder to get to a level where you can be an active part of defending that title?
It really does. After summer league's over I'm going to go back to San Antonio and work on my game a little bit more and hopefully everything will come out well. If I keep working hopefully I can get back to playing like I used to.

How much does it help you to work with Tim Duncan? I saw you out there using the glass a few times today.
Tim works with me every day. I actually missed a couple of backboard shots today, and usually I don't miss those shots. We work on those all the time. Hopefully I can get back to San Antonio and work on those a little more.

What have the Spurs asked you to work on, specifically, during the summer league process?
Basically they want me to go out there and rebound, blocks some shots, and run the floor. That's about it. They want me to score in the post and just get out there and rebound. That's the main thing.

You had a chance to play against Big Baby today. What did you think of the young man from LSU?
Big Baby takes up a lot of room in that post, I'll tell you that. But he's a good player - he's going to be pretty good.

Link (http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_22681.shtml)

THE SIXTH MAN
07-10-2007, 02:24 AM
They're going to show a replay of today's game against the Celtics on NBA tv at 2:30.

spurscenter
07-10-2007, 04:23 AM
big baby is gonna be great 2 years from now.

ploto
07-10-2007, 08:17 AM
So, he needed some rest?

AFBlue
07-10-2007, 09:00 AM
It really does. After summer league's over I'm going to go back to San Antonio and work on my game a little bit more and hopefully everything will come out well. If I keep working hopefully I can get back to playing like I used to.

I like the fact that he's gaining confidence each game. I really think that actually getting some PT on the court is doing wonders for his confidence and conditioning.

Lets face it....when he was allowed to "just play" with the Knicks he proved that he could be a very good player.

Now that he has adjusted to his new playing weight and to the expectations of his new team, I think he could be poised for a breakout year.

MoSpur
07-10-2007, 09:23 AM
I hope he too continues to get better. I honestly think he has the body to be a very good center in the NBA.

bigdog
07-10-2007, 12:51 PM
he looks great right now. may not be the an amazing center yet, but i like his weight progress, he looks to be getting quicker, but also looks lazy at times on pick and rolls. but overall, I think Jackie is doing pretty well, and I expect him to keep it up for the rest of the summer

jéjé
07-10-2007, 01:35 PM
I think that's great that jackie works with tim duncan offensively .

Now he needs to take more rebounds and then play like that he cans loose weights !

wildbill2u
07-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Is anyone surprised that the young man didn't mention a single word about defense.

Rebounds may comprise part of a center's job on defense, but he's gonna have to make a committment to the other parts of the defensive game to get a lot of PT with Pop in the Spurs system.

Darkwaters
07-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Is anyone surprised that the young man didn't mention a single word about defense.

Rebounds may comprise part of a center's job on defense, but he's gonna have to make a committment to the other parts of the defensive game to get a lot of PT with Pop in the Spurs system.

Just because it wasn't mentioned doesn't mean that hes not working on it.

Just because we're not talking about winning the 2021 NBA championship doesn't mean that we're not going to give it our best when we get there.