PDA

View Full Version : Juan Carlos Navarro, next Manu???

spurscenter
07-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Teams Are Interested in Wizards' Navarro

Thursday, July 5, 2007; Page E02

According to team and league sources, a handful of teams have contacted the Washington Wizards with possible trade proposals for guard Juan Carlos Navarro, who recently negotiated a way out of his contract with FC Barcelona of the Spanish Pro League.

The Wizards drafted Navarro in the second round of the 2002 draft and have retained his NBA rights. The Wizards can offer the 6-foot-4, 170-pound Navarro a contract up to their full mid-level exception (a first-year salary of about $5.8 million depending on the new salary cap, which will be released next week.)

One of the top players in Europe, Navarro averaged 17.3 points last season and his style of play has been compared to that of San Antonio Spurs star Manu Ginobili. According to one league source, the Miami Heat has long been interested in Navarro and would consider a sign-and-trade deal involving free agent forward James Posey, an excellent defender who averaged 7.7 points and 5.0 rebounds last season.

Miami recently lost one free agent when shooting guard Jason Kapono signed a four-year, $24 million contract with the Toronto Raptors and may view Navarro as a possible replacement. The Memphis Grizzlies may also be interested in acquiring Navarro, who played on Spain's national team with Grizzlies center Pau Gasol.

Meanwhile, the Wizards continue to negotiate with the agents representing free agent shooting guard DeShawn Stevenson and restricted free agent forward Andray Blatche.

According to league sources, the Wizards are considering possible trades involving centers Etan Thomas and Brendan Haywood. However, a source indicated that Thomas's contract contains a hefty trade kicker that would push his salary to about $7.3 million next season, and that has caused several teams to reconsider trade proposals for the veteran center.

-- Ivan Carter
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/04/AR2007070401347.html

Pero
07-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I don`t think so... Manu is way more athletic.

bdictjames
07-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Posey wouldn't fit with the Wizards anyway.. its a crowded backcourt there.

Kamnik
07-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Navaro is not remotley the same type of play as Manu.

Forget it.

MrChug
07-10-2007, 07:20 PM
I don`t think so... Manu is way more athletic.

Not only athletic, but in watching Navarro Manu is just slicker and more out of control (in a good way). Plus...seeing what I see I don't think that JC would be able to get to the rim and finish the way that Manu does, or at least in the playoffs.

AI-square
07-10-2007, 09:52 PM
I've seen this guy play live in the warm-ups for the FIBA world championships. He is a scorer but I think the Manu comparisons fall way short. He is still a good player though, and will fit a lot of teams.

Dario
07-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Navarro = Jose Calderon

velik_m
07-11-2007, 09:08 AM
He reminds me more of Tony Parker, only he's a shooting guard.