PDA

View Full Version : Did any of you read Sunday's paper

MoSpur
07-10-2007, 09:05 AM
regarding the guys from KSAT? This guy in the section of the EN paper has a section called Page 2 and is calling out the sports guys from KSAT. He writes that they take news they read in the paper and then report it as their own. The writer states something on how Larry Ramirez said on one newscast that they had exclusive news on Seattle hiring PJ as their coach and didn't give proper credit to the Express News for that story and took it as his own.

The guy who writes the article also says that the KSAT people should be more like Don Harris and David who give proper credit when they give the Express credit. I started to laugh as I read that part. I know WOAI has taken a lot of stories and rumors from this web-site and has never given credit.

I also found it funny that the Express News has a section called Page 2. I think this section is fairly new and I am almost sure ESPN has had a "Page 2" section. Seems to me the Express News copied off of ESPN. Oh well.

Just wanted to know if anyone else read this.

Oh, Gee!!
07-10-2007, 09:17 AM
I didn't know Yoni works for KSAT.

Shred
07-10-2007, 09:31 AM
The news director for WOAI was on 1200 yesterday with Charlie Parker (I don't listen to Charlie Parker, I was channel-surfing) and he pointed out how all reporters and news organizations simply report on what each other are saying, and just preface it by saying, "KSAT 12 News has learned," or "Reports say...."

What's the phrase to describe this phenomenon? Where a news story, however badly sourced and unreliable, gets repeatedly reported so much it becomes "truth?" Kind of like "Iraq has WMDs" or "KG is going to the Lakers?"

Shred
07-10-2007, 09:41 AM
"Incestuous amplification."

Solid D
07-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Do they give awards and ratings for "Most Accurate News Broadcast"?

Nathan Explosion
07-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Regarding the Page 2 comment, it's not a rip on ESPN.com, but rather, something all newspapers do. The New York Times has a Page 2 as well where they have similar details. The EN is just doing what other newspapers do as well.

Second, Joe Reinagel was on Lisle and Hahn yesterday talking about that. KENS is a partner with the Express News and was actually started by the EN (KENS), but even he called the guy out saying it was bush league to do that. He said he's not supposed to criticize the EN because of the partnership, but couldn't believe the Sports Editor let that column get published.

He also stated that the columnist didn't know for sure where KSAT got their news from, and therefore can't claim that it was stolen information. How does the columnist know that KSAT doesn't have their own source located in the Spurs camp and got their information straight from that source?

If the "facts" turn out to be false, that columnist and the Express News could be in for a slander lawsuit.

What was funny though was Lisle and Hahn said that next time Greg Simmons should just walk in front of the camera, open up the newspaper, and just start reading the news from the sports section.

MoSpur
07-10-2007, 10:02 AM
I was wondering if any radio shows had commented on this.

The Cougar
07-10-2007, 10:47 AM
If the "facts" turn out to be false, that columnist and the Express News could be in for a slander lawsuit.

Not very likely, slander is spoken, when it is written it's libel

ploto
07-10-2007, 11:29 AM
The most hypocritical thing of all is that the EN gets info from sites like this!

To test- one time I came up with a very esoteric stat that I had to calculate by hand- something about the previous 12 games and posted it here. And sure enough 2 days later that EXACT stat appeared in an artice in the EN.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2007, 11:31 AM
The guy who writes the article also says that the KSAT people should be more like Don Harris and David who give proper credit when they give the Express credit. I started to laugh as I read that part. I know WOAI has taken a lot of stories and rumors from this web-site and has never given credit.

That's because I sometimes give them (Don/Dave) the rumors/stories from here. They don't need to give me credit. I'm part of their team.

SA210
07-10-2007, 11:35 AM
I didn't know Yoni works for KSAT.
:lol

saporvida
07-10-2007, 12:05 PM
What was funny though was Lisle and Hahn said that next time Greg Simmons should just walk in front of the camera, open up the newspaper, and just start reading the news from the sports section.

i hate greg simmons with a passion... my hate for him began when i was 7yrs old. fuck you greg simmons!

MoSpur
07-10-2007, 12:10 PM
I really don't like any of the guys who do sports here.

Switchman
07-10-2007, 12:26 PM
who cares. Long as I get my news.

SpursFanFirst
07-10-2007, 12:26 PM
BRING BACK DAN COOK! :depressed

shelshor
07-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Do they give awards and ratings for "Most Accurate News Broadcast"?
Pulitzer Prizes and the Peabody Awards

bigdog
Greg Simmons looks like William Hung

The Go For 4
Larry Ranirez sucks and has no business being a reporter, the jackass a few years ago did not know that Manu had a nickname. The guy blows bad.

Shred
07-10-2007, 01:47 PM

Ah, yes, who can forget he who dubbed the former Longhorn WR great, "Lobdell Pinkley." Gotta go back all the way to circa 1993 for that one.

rasho8
07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
i hate greg simmons with a passion... my hate for him began when i was 7yrs old. fuck you greg simmons!

Gregs a really nice guy. No need to bash him like that.
I can tell him you dont appreciate him next time he is over for dinner though, if youd like.

:toast

George Gervin's Afro
07-10-2007, 01:58 PM

Is he still alive? I grew up with Dan Cook..

MrChug
07-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Isn't there some kind of law against exhuming corpses??

...hell, even if they did he'd still look better than Greg Simmons though.

sandman
07-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Hell, let's just get Joe Fowler and his Boo Bear back in front of the screen. Surely he's tired of doing late night infomercials...

The Go For 4
07-10-2007, 06:33 PM
I always thought George Mckenzie was the best sportscaster in town.

tmtcsc
07-10-2007, 11:04 PM

"let's take a break and we'll be right back.."

tmtcsc
07-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Hell, let's just get Joe Fowler and his Boo Bear back in front of the screen. Surely he's tired of doing late night infomercials...

Joe Fowler was way ahead of his time. He was a little crazy but he was entertaining and brought some life to Sports. He did his stuff and had his own wacky vernacular WAY before JIm Rome and ESPN took it too far.

Central Catholic grad too !!

tmtcsc
07-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Gregs a really nice guy. No need to bash him like that.
I can tell him you dont appreciate him next time he is over for dinner though, if youd like.

:toast

Who are you ? Ron Burgundy ?

"I'm kind of a big deal, people know me...Merlin Olsen comes over some times..uh..My home smells of rich Mahogany, .."