PDA

View Full Version : Welterweight Tripleheader on HBO Saturday nite..

degenerate_gambler
07-10-2007, 01:44 PM
This will be a good nite of boxing, period.

The first bout will have Kermit Cintron(27-1, 25 KOs in his 1st defense of his title against Walter Matthyesse(26-1, 25 KOs). Cintron is now trained by Manny Steward so it will be interesting to see if he boxes a bit more. The way these two guys throw it, this one's gonna end up with someone going down for the count. And it won't be Cintron..

In the second fight, Arturo Gatti (40-8, 31 KOs) takes on Alfonso Gomez (16-3, 7 KOs) of The Contender fame. Gatti hasn't fought in a year, since getting rolled by Baldomir, plus as everyone knows, the dude is old and has been in war after war. That said, Gomez does have some talent and I think he will fare pretty well for the first 6 rounds. But after that, Gatti will get the best of him, paving the way for a possible future fight with JC Chavez Jr.

In the last fight, Antonio Margarito(34-4, 24 KOs) defends his title against Paul Williams(32-0, 24 KOs). This has the potential to be a damn good fight. Williams is the bigger and faster of the two. And he's a southpaw. Margarito will have to find a way to get inside those long arms and use his power advantage. Williams has been fast-tracked to this point against some opponents that are basically club fighters. This Saturday, we'll see how good of chin this guy's got. I'm guessing not a good enough one on this night. Margarito TKO 8.

Evan
07-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Dvr

SAtoDallas
07-12-2007, 09:47 AM
This going to be a hell of a night, and it's on regular HBO. With Manny Steward in his corner Cintron should have a tighter defense and a better jab, he should be able to take out Matthyesse late in the fight. Gatti V Gomez is going to interesting it is going to show us how much Gatti has left in the tank and how Gomez fares against a former world class fighter.

Then there's the main event, Margarito V Williams I am favoring Margarito due to Williams' lack of experience. I believe early in the fight Williams is going to give Margarito some trouble with his height and power, once Margarito adjusts he is just going to break Williams down kind of like the way he did to Cintron a couple of years ago.

Did anyone catch the Darchinian/Donaire fight last weekend. That may be the KO of the year so far!

2centsworth
07-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Williams vs Margarito is going to be awesome. Has a chance of being a corrales castillo type war.