PDA

View Full Version : "Greg Ostertag killed Tim Duncan"

biba
07-10-2007, 02:50 PM
"... Carlesimo, who again brought up the fact that Tim Duncan struggled against Greg Ostertag in his first summer league game."
(Sheridan, ESPN)

"If anyone really cares that Greg Oden and Kevin Durant had bad first games, Maurice Cheeks would like to remind you that Greg Ostertag killed Tim Duncan in Duncan't first summer league game."
(Abbott, ESPN)

And this :

"What do you think?
#208160Posted by ScotsRBest at 7/8/07 10:34 p.m.

In the story above this line appears: "There have been recollections of Tim Duncan getting dominated by Greg Ostertag....' The statement references Tim Duncan's first Summer League game. I don't know who was doing the recollecting but that person's memory is quite faulty.

Tim Duncan's first Summer League game was on Sunday, July 27, 1997 at the Delta Center in Utah. The Spurs were participating in the Rocky Mountain Revue. However, Tim's first opponent was Dallas. Ostertag has never played with Dallas. He signed with Utah in 95-96.

Tim Duncan's first pre-season game was October 11, 1997 against the Washington Wizards. Tim played 22 minutes and went 9 of 13 from the field (he didn't miss his first shot until the third quarter) and finished with 19 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists. The opposing power forward was Chris Webber who went 5 of 13 and finished with 13 points.

Tim Duncan's first regular season game was October 31, 1997 against Denver. Tim had 15 points, 10 rebounds and 2 blocks. The opposing power forward was Danny Fortson.

So, Tim, in not one of his 'first games' ever faced Ostertag and thus could not have been 'dominated' by Ostertag.

Thank you for letting me clear someone's memory/recollections with fact."
(Some forum)

OK. And now, do someone in this forum remember something about Duncan's Summer League? Was he "killed" by Ostertag ? In his first summer league game ?

Just to know the TRUTH.

timvp
07-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Yes, Duncan was dominated by Ostertag in Rocky Mounatain Revue back in 1997. I remember refreshing the page for hours waiting for the box score to appear and then being stunned by the ownage Ostertag had laid upon Duncan. And if I remember correctly, they played again in the summer league and Ostertag owned him again.

That is why that whenever Duncan ever played Ostertag in the regular season, Duncan would be sure to try to destroy him. Some of Duncan's best games of his career came against Ostertag.

timvp
07-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Oh and Jermaine O'Neal owned Duncan as well in that summer league. He went for something like 30 and 15 against Duncan and then after the game said that if he would have been in the draft, he would have been picked before Duncan.

George Gervin's Afro
07-10-2007, 02:55 PM
osterfag.. :gpower

Spurminator
07-10-2007, 02:58 PM
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=SAEC&p_theme=saec&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EAFE7E847F321C7&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

biba
07-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks - especially Timvp -

(NBA players are like elephants :elephant : they don't forget and they payback)

da_suns_fan_
07-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Greg Ostertag was extreamly underrated. Too bad he never got a chance to play with Nash. He would of made him a superstar like Amare

MrChug
07-10-2007, 03:59 PM
This isn't the first stupid thing that P.J. has said about the Spurs since he's taken over in Seattle.

He said something in an interview with SIRIUS 127 (Fred Hickman I believe) to the effect of "Well, the first thing I've gotta do is get my kids to burn their Spurs jerseys. Their wardrobe consists mainly of Tim, Tony, and Manu jerseys, so I've gotta get on that..."

I guess it was meant in jest but "BURN"?? Jeez Peej...he's gotta work on his comedic timing, it's lacking.

sandman
07-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Yes, Duncan was dominated by Ostertag in Rocky Mounatain Revue back in 1997. I remember refreshing the page for hours waiting for the box score to appear and then being stunned by the ownage Ostertag had laid upon Duncan. And if I remember correctly, they played again in the summer league and Ostertag owned him again.

This inspired my comeback attempt. Right after I find my man bra.

Sincerely,

Bryant "Big Country" Reeves

Spurminator
07-10-2007, 04:03 PM
This isn't the first stupid thing that P.J. has said about the Spurs since he's taken over in Seattle.

He said something in an interview with SIRIUS 127 (Fred Hickman I believe) to the effect of "Well, the first thing I've gotta do is get my kids to burn their Spurs jerseys. Their wardrobe consists mainly of Tim, Tony, and Manu jerseys, so I've gotta get on that..."

I guess it was meant in jest but "BURN"?? Jeez Peej...he's gotta work on his comedic timing, it's lacking.

You GUESS it was meant in jest??

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-10-2007, 04:05 PM
If Ostertag had killed Tim Duncan he would be in jail right now. Not only that, but I'd be wondering who that really is wearing no. 21 for the Spurs if not Tim Duncan.

Just thought I'd dispell that myth right now.

da_suns_fan_
07-10-2007, 04:08 PM
I would take Ostertag over Duncan ANY day. Even today! Duncan is so OVERrated. he is no Matrix, that much I can tell you! I could go on and on :blah

PM5K
07-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Osterwho?

Real Tomato Ketchup
07-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Oh course he did, he is from Duncanville.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

da_suns_fan_
07-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Osterwho?

OsterTAG, numbnuts!

bdictjames
07-10-2007, 04:24 PM
If you search mix videos on youtube about Duncan, you're sure to find that play where Duncan crosses over Ostertag like a b**** and dunks over his face.

Borosai
07-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Postertag.

FromWayDowntown
07-10-2007, 04:43 PM
If Ostertag had killed Tim Duncan he would be in jail right now.

Not necessarily true.

Sincerely,
The Juice.

FromWayDowntown
07-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Postertag.

As a friend of mine once said (probably having stolen it from elsewhere): You can't spell "Poster" without Oster.

Darkwaters
07-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I was listening to the radio today and a national commentator (I think it was either Dave Smith or Tony Bruno) said that Greg Ostertag DID own on Duncan, but that the whole thing was misleading.

Apparently, before the game Popovich had asked Tim Duncan to play using only his left hand to see if could challenge Duncan to overcome adversity. Duncan agreed and proceeded to use only his left hand throughout the entire game. Hence, Ostertag only owned on a left-handed Duncan.

I don't have a link for this, but I heard it on the radio earlier today. This was apparently Popovich that told the story. When Duncan was asked if it were true he reportedly "just smiled".

Tippecanoe
07-10-2007, 06:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3AlmPMr96g

some_user86
07-10-2007, 07:06 PM
I was listening to the radio today and a national commentator (I think it was either Dave Smith or Tony Bruno) said that Greg Ostertag DID own on Duncan, but that the whole thing was misleading.

Apparently, before the game Popovich had asked Tim Duncan to play using only his left hand to see if could challenge Duncan to overcome adversity. Duncan agreed and proceeded to use only his left hand throughout the entire game. Hence, Ostertag only owned on a left-handed Duncan.

I don't have a link for this, but I heard it on the radio earlier today. This was apparently Popovich that told the story. When Duncan was asked if it were true he reportedly "just smiled".

I don't think it was exactly like that. As I remember reading the story, which I really wish I could find now, Pop asked Timmy to work on his left-handed game a little more. So Timmy proceeded to play the entire game with only his left hand. Pop could do nothing but laugh. I love Timmy's sense of humor.

MrChug
07-10-2007, 08:40 PM
You GUESS it was meant in jest??

Well...if you've ever listened to the long-winded P.J. talk for 23 fuckin minutes straight you tend to get distracted by picking your head up from napping during his reply. The funny thing is that Hickman was only asking "So what are the major adjustments for your family in the move to Seattle PJ??"

I guess I was trying to catch the humor. I'm sure he was trying to be funny, but I missed the delivery...

bdictjames
07-10-2007, 08:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3AlmPMr96g

awww, that video made me miss shooting Peja. :madrun

mystargtr34
07-10-2007, 08:48 PM
lol does anyone have the stats to that game.

ducks
07-10-2007, 08:58 PM
howard should not have to be big in 4 with dirk and stack on that team
especially since they have terry to

O-Factor
07-10-2007, 09:28 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol

http://www.world-basket.biz/wallpapers.part.5/Greg_ostertag.jpg

Nathan Explosion
07-10-2007, 10:10 PM
I was playing 2K7 against my brother once, and he chased me down (as Parker) with Ostertag for the block on a fastbreak. We had to pause the game for about 5 minutes just to calm down from laughing so hard.

Darkwaters
07-10-2007, 11:11 PM
I don't think it was exactly like that. As I remember reading the story, which I really wish I could find now, Pop asked Timmy to work on his left-handed game a little more. So Timmy proceeded to play the entire game with only his left hand. Pop could do nothing but laugh. I love Timmy's sense of humor.

I'd love to see that article, but it was a great story.

milkyway21
07-11-2007, 03:15 AM
Oh and Jermaine O'Neal owned Duncan as well in that summer league. He went for something like 30 and 15 against Duncan and then after the game said that if he would have been in the draft, he would have been picked before Duncan.Awesome :lol

Oh, Gee!!
07-11-2007, 08:53 AM

I think the Duncan reference was to shut-up those who have been over-analyzing Durant's performance in summer league as an indicator of how he'll perform in the regular season.

And the comment about his kids' jerseys was probably aimed at Sonic fan, who probably got a chuckle out of it.

Take off the homer glasses for a second and try to be objective.

duncan228
07-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Update:

True Hoop chimes in.

Duncan's own words about it at very end from Slam link.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-26-28/Greg-Ostertag-s-Legendary-Domination-of-Tim-Duncan.html

Greg Ostertag's Legendary Domination of Tim Duncan

July 11, 2007 12:18 PM

It has been the best line of summer league. Maurice Cheeks has used it. P.J. Carlesimo has used it. Every journalist here, practically, has quoted it.

It's a story about how great players can have terrible games in their first summer league. And the story is that Greg Ostertag killed Tim Duncan in his first summer league appearance.

I linked to such a quote, from Cheeks, the other day, and enterprising TrueHoop reader Cyn spent a day at the library going through old newspaper stories proving Cheeks wrong.

Cyn writes:

As for Ostertag 'killing' TD ... that's a matter of opinion.

Certainly the Utah team killed the combined summer league team of the Spurs and 76ers, as the final score was Jazz 85 and Spurs/76ers 59. Ouch.

Ostertag was a second year player. The article describes Ostertag as going up to slam a dunk on Duncan, but he hit the back rim instead.

Ostertag did block some of Tim's shots. The article doesn't specify how many but Ostertag had six blocks in the game.

Anyway, here are the boxscore lines from both players:

Tim Duncan 14 points/6 of 10 FG/8 rebs/3 assists/2 blocks
Greg Ostertag 21 points/7 of 12 FG/10 rebs/0 assists/5 blocks
Tim fouled out of the game getting his sixth foul at 2:52 of the fourth quarter. Maurice Cheeks got the game wrong (fifth not first) and while 'killed' might be harsh; Ostertag did get the better of Tim.

I appreciate the legwork, Cyn.

This story has been used to laugh off performances like Kevin Durant's 4 for 19 in his second game. I'm not worried about Kevin Durant's future. But I am worried about using a tale of a player who shot 60% from the floor to explain a player who shot 21%.

UPDATE: Tim Duncan spoke about that experience with Slam's Lang Whitaker: "Jermaine (O'Neal) destroyed me. He was with Portland, was real young ... and Tag threw my stuff into the first couple of rows a few times."

Here's the Whitaker piece:

http://slamonline.com/online/2007/07/links-and-they-say-the-nba-has-problems/

When Greg Oden struggled early, everyone brought up the story of how Tim Duncan also struggled during his first summer league appearance. I actually asked Duncan about that last summer, and he said…

ME: I heard before your rookie season you played summer league and Ostertag killed you in a game. They were talking about how some guys come out of college and it takes them time to adjust.

TIM: He threw my sh*t into the first and second row a couple of times. Jermaine (O’Neal) destroyed me. He was with Portland, was real young…

ME: But he’d already been in the League for a while?

TIM: Yeah, he destroyed me, and Tag threw my stuff into the first couple of rows a few times.

ME: It takes you time to adjust to the speed, or what?

TIM: I don’t even know what it was, to be honest with you. I just wanted to get the experience of playing against NBA players. I’d been in college for four years and that was great, but it’s a different speed, it’s a different strength, it’s a different set of players, and I wanted to play as much as possible, so I jumped in the league and I thought it helped me a bunch, it helped me tremendously.

Girasuck
07-12-2007, 07:49 PM
All of you can go to hell for making fun of Tag. How many of you have given up a kidney to save your sisters life?

btw...congrats on the title :)