PDA

View Full Version : Insider Accuses Repug WH of Politicizing Science

boutons_
07-10-2007, 10:03 PM
July 10, 2007

White House Is Accused of Putting Politics Over Science

By GARDINER HARRIS (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/h/gardiner_harris/index.html?inline=nyt-per)

WASHINGTON, July 10 — Former Surgeon General Richard H. Carmona told a Congressional committee today that top officials in the Bush administration repeatedly tried to weaken or suppress important public health reports because of political considerations.

Dr. Carmona, who served as surgeon general from 2002 to 2006, said White House officials would not allow him to speak or issue reports about stem cells (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/stemcells/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier), emergency contraception, sex education, or prison, mental and global health issues because of political concerns. Top administration officials delayed for years and attempted to “water down” a landmark report on secondhand tobacco smoke, he said in sworn testimony before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

He was ordered to mention President Bush three times on every page of every speech he gave, Dr. Carmona said. He was asked to make speeches to support Republican political candidates and to attend political briefings, at least one of which included Karl Rove (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/r/karl_rove/index.html?inline=nyt-per), the president’s senior political adviser, he said.

And administration officials even discouraged him from attending the Special Olympics because, he said, of that charitable organization’s longtime ties to the Kennedy family.

“I was specifically told by a senior person, ‘Why would you want to help those people?’ ” Dr. Carmona said.

The Special Olympics is one of the nation’s premier charitable organizations to benefit disabled people.

Dr. Carmona joins a list of present and former Bush administration officials who assert that politics often trumped science within what had previously been nonpartisan government health and scientific agencies.

His testimony comes two days before the Senate confirmation hearings of his designated successor, Dr. James W. Holsinger Jr., who was nominated this year by President Bush. Two members of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions have already declared their opposition to Dr. Holsinger’s nomination because of a 1991 report he wrote that concluded that homosexual sex is unnatural and unhealthy. Dr. Carmona’s testimony may further complicate Dr. Holsinger’s nomination.

Bill Hall, a spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/h/health_and_human_services_department/index.html?inline=nyt-org), said the Bush administration disagreed with Dr. Carmona’s statements about political pressure. “It has always been this administration’s position that public health policy should be rooted in sound science,” Mr. Hall
said.

( an Administration whose prez doesn't believe in evolution? GMAFB )

But Representative Henry A. Waxman (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/w/henry_a_waxman/index.html?inline=nyt-per), the chairman of the House oversight committee, sharply criticized the Bush administration, saying it was putting politics above health issues.

“Political interference with the work of the surgeon general appears to have reached a new level in this administration,” Mr. Waxman said in his opening statement, adding, “The public expects that a surgeon general will be immune from political pressure and be allowed to express his or her professional views based on the best available science.”

In his testimony, Dr. Carmona said that at first he was so politically naďve that he had little idea how inappropriate the Bush administration’s actions were. He eventually consulted six previous surgeons general — Republican and Democrat — and all agreed, he said, that he faced more political interference than they did.

On issue after issue, Dr. Carmona asserted, the Bush administration made decisions about important public health issues based solely on political considerations, not scientific ones.

“I was told to stay away from those because we’ve already decided which way we want to go,” Dr. Carmona said.

He described attending a meeting of top officials in which the subject of global warming (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/science/topics/globalwarming/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) was discussed. The other officials concluded that global warming was a liberal cause and dismissed it, he said.

“And I said to myself: ‘I realize why I’ve been invited. They want me to discuss the science because they obviously don’t understand the science,’ ” he said. “I was never invited back.”

He said the science is clear that effective sexual education efforts must offer what he called a “comprehensive approach.”

“However, there was already a policy in place to only support sexual education efforts that discussed only abstinence, he said.

After serving one full term as surgeon general, Dr. Carmona was not asked by the White House to serve another. Before becoming surgeon general, he was in the Army Special Forces, earned two purple hearts in the Vietnam War, was a trauma surgeon and a leader of the Pima County, Ariz., SWAT team. He is now vice chairman of Canyon Ranch, a resort and residential development company.

=================

Give anything to the Repugs, and they will politicize it .... and fuck it up.

Wild Cobra
07-11-2007, 02:11 AM
Great, another NY Times article. I wonder how much they twisted the truth here.

Nbadan
07-11-2007, 02:38 AM
Why didn't Carmona speak up when he was Surgeon General? coward.

This administration even politicized the Special Olympics...

boutons_
07-11-2007, 05:42 AM
WC, before you go fuck your knee-jerking self, why don't you go find us the Repug lies to counter this article, rather than just spewing your personal opionion, which is as believable as Swift-boat slime.

Numerous scientists, in and out of govt, have made exactly the claim against this Repug administration, and the Repugs say in their defense is "We don't do it", also as believable as Swift-boat slime.

NOBODY but dead-end losers like yourself believes anything the Repugs say.

johnsmith
07-11-2007, 08:07 AM
WC, before you go fuck your knee-jerking self, why don't you go find us the Repug lies to counter this article, rather than just spewing your personal opionion, which is as believable as Swift-boat slime.

Numerous scientists, in and out of govt, have made exactly the claim against this Repug administration, and the Repugs say in their defense is "We don't do it", also as believable as Swift-boat slime.

NOBODY but dead-end losers like yourself believes anything the Repugs say.

First of all, Boutons is never allowed to criticize Ann Coulter for calling others names.

Secondly, "NOBODY but dead-end losers like yourself believes anything....." :lol :lol Boutons called someone else a dead-end loser :lol :lol Boutons, remember that thread where everyone was talking about glass houses?

FromWayDowntown
07-11-2007, 08:15 AM

Um, the piece essentially quotes or paraphrases his congressional testimony. Maybe Yonivore can find us the transcript and show that nothing that Dr. Carmona is reported to have said was ever actually said, but until it's disproven by a full transcript, I'm inclined to believe that he actually said all of things he's reported to have said.

I'm not sure how quoting someone's testimony is twisting the truth. If you are disbelieving the report, I'd think you'd have to be disbelieving Dr. Carmona -- though I'm not sure that there's much justification for such disbelief at this point.

DarkReign
07-11-2007, 10:36 AM

Great answer. Wonderful answer.

Pull the transcript, watch CSPAN, do something to back your claims. Those are quotes from his Congressional testimony.

Jesus H, man! Wake-the-fuck-up!

PixelPusher
07-11-2007, 10:45 AM

Pull the transcript, watch CSPAN, do something to back your claims. Those are quotes from his Congressional testimony.

Aw, give him a break. It's been a rough 2 weeks and his partisan filters are just a little blocked up.

Wild Cobra
07-11-2007, 02:59 PM

Back up my claims? I said "I wonder how much." I am not claiming they did twist the story, just showing my disregard for the Times, and an OPINION that they twist this story like they do most.

I have nothing to prove in this issue. I am not goint to make the time for this thread like I do others.

boutons_
07-12-2007, 05:33 PM
http://www.uclick.com/feature/07/07/12/ta070712.gif

http://www.uclick.com/feature/07/07/12/bs070712.gif

Wild Cobra
07-12-2007, 07:06 PM
http://www.uclick.com/feature/07/07/12/ta070712.gif

Just how does this help any proper debate?

The Surgeon General is appointed for a four year term. It just so happened that Camona wasn't happy that he was appointed, and tried to implement his own progressive policies. He was not forced out however, he served his full four years from Aug 2002 to Jul 2006.

Since Aug 2006, Moritsugu has been filling in the position that has not yet been filled. Note that he was placed in the Deputy Surgeon General in 1998, the Clinton administration. President Bush isn’t as partisan as people like to say.

President Bush just announced his choice to fill the full time position, Holsinger. The cartoon rather misrepresents the truth, It implies that Camona was let go because of disagreements. Considering he served the full four years, I would disagree.

Boutons, is it an intelligent act to submit content to a debate that is dishonest like you have?

I guess it has "trutiness." It sounds like the truth your hatred wants now, doesn't it.

This is a political posting. You people expect it not to be controlled somewhat by politics? There likely was some censorship in what Carmona was allowed to say. It was likely that he was required to back up what he wanted to say with facts, and couldn't.

1) There have yet to be any positive results from embryonic stem cell research, yet adult and core stem cell research are proven to have positive results.

2) There is no ban on embryonic stem cell research, just that this administration is not willing to fund it. There are private monies funding it today.

3) The longest in-depth study ever done shows no causal relationship to secondhand smoke and cancer. Only that around children, there was evidence to show they can develop asthma from second-hand smoke.

Now I don't know the full details of disagreement, nor will I spend much time on this issue. However, I am not the one with a knee-jerk reaction to things. Cameron wants to say things that are very well scientifically proven opposite his views, pushing his political agenda. I can safely assume the same is true with his other progressive agenda's he wasn't allowed to talk about.

Too bad journalists no longer know how to present all the truth of a story.

I wonder how much the democrats will politicize the nomination of James W. Holsinger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_W._Holsinger)?

boutons_
07-12-2007, 08:33 PM
"to implement his own progressive policies. "

exactly, science is slimed as progressive, politicized, "Christian"-nutcase-pandering Repug "science" is bullshit.

"Considering he served the full four years"

he was shut down and shut out, emasculated.

Holsinger is perfect stooge for more politicized Repug "science/health". He's a gay basher, not S/G of all Americans.

Wild Cobra
07-13-2007, 03:25 PM
"to implement his own progressive policies. "

exactly, science is slimed as progressive, politicized, "Christian"-nutcase-pandering Repug "science" is bullshit.
Seems to me the Bush administration kept the politics to a minimum in science rather than submitting to agenda's.

"Considering he served the full four years"

he was shut down and shut out, emasculated.
Is that what you call working for someone else and having to follow their rules?

Holsinger is perfect stooge for more politicized Repug "science/health". He's a gay basher, not S/G of all Americans.
Care to back any of that up?

His views on the gay community are not personal, but a scientific observation. Can you show otherwise?

Oh... I forget... The truth is not to be spoken when it isn't politically correct, right?

boutons_
07-13-2007, 03:39 PM
"His views on the gay community are not personal, but a scientific observation"

Surgeon general nominee: I'm not anti-gay

July 13, 2007
WASHINGTON -- President Bush's nominee for surgeon general insisted Thursday that he harbors no bias against homosexuals in spite of his 1991 writings viewed by some as anti-gay.

Dr. James Holsinger faced tough questioning at his Senate confirmation hearing over his views and how he would react if he were pressured to put politics ahead of science.

''I would resign,'' he said.

He distanced himself from a paper he wrote 16 years ago

(why? because it's not true and scientific?)

that has been attacked as inaccurate and inflammatory. The paper cited data showing elevated rates of disease among gay men, but some medical experts say he completely ignored other data that would contradict the paper's point that homosexuality is an abnormal function.

AP

==================

For Immediate Release:
Monday, June 4, 2007

HOLSINGER’S ANTI-GAY VIEWS MAKE HIM ‘UNWORTHY’ OF SURGEON GENERAL POST

‘It is essential that America’s top doctor value sound science over anti-gay ideology,’ said Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese.

WASHINGTON — The Human Rights Campaign spoke out today in opposition to President Bush’s nomination of Dr. James Holsinger to the position of surgeon general. Among other things, the U.S. surgeon general is charged with educating Americans about public health.

“Dr. Holsinger has a record that is unworthy of America’s doctor,” said Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese. “His writings suggest a scientific view rooted in anti-gay beliefs that are incompatible with the job of serving the medical health of all Americans. It is essential that America’s top doctor value sound science over anti-gay ideology.”

In a document titled Pathophysiology of Male Homosexuality (http://a4.g.akamai.net/f/4/19675/0/newmill.download.akamai.com/19677/anon.newmediamill/Holsinger_on_Homosexuality.pdf), Holsinger opined, in his capacity as a physician, that biology and anatomy precluded considering gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender equality in his denomination. The opinion very clearly states that this is his scientific view, stating that theological views are separate.

Additionally, Holsinger and his wife were founders of Hope Springs Community Church which, according to the church’s pastor, ministers to people who no longer wish to be gay or lesbian. The pastor, the Rev. David Calhoun, said that the church has an “ex-gay” ministry. “We see that as an issue not of orientation but a lifestyle,” Calhoun said. “We have people who seek to walk out of that lifestyle.” This type of “ex-gay” conversion therapy has been condemned by almost every major, reputable medical organization — including the American Psychological Association, which issued a condemnation more than 10 years ago.

“Although the church’s theology isn’t being nominated, this discredited practice purports to be a psychological and medical service, and if Dr. Holsinger is involved in any way, it conflicts with his duty to accept and promote sound science in the interest of public health,” continued Solmonese.

“We are hopeful that during the hearing process Congress will fully examine Dr. Holsinger’s background and part of that examination will include issues affecting our community, including his stance on conversion therapy. Too often, we have seen President Bush send nominees to Congress that have proven their inability to separate their personal beliefs from their professional duties. As the nation’s chief medical doctor, the office of surgeon general is an extremely important position that has an impact on the lives of gay and lesbian Americans and the hearing process should involve a discussion about where Dr. Holsinger stands on medical issues relating to our community,” Solmonese concluded.

The Human Rights Campaign is America’s largest civil rights organization working to achieve gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender equality. By inspiring and engaging all Americans, HRC strives to end discrimination against GLBT citizens and realize a nation that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all.

==============

Holzinger is brazenly anti-gay, says it's a life-style choice, not a biological condtion, etc, etc, etc. He's a shill for radical-right "religious" fascists, the PERFECT dubya nominee, which makes him suspect and unacceptable from square 1.

=============

From his "scientific" that panders to the Methodists Church:

"When an attempt is made to insert something in the reverse direction, the
muscles of the sphincter constrictw (Agnew, 1986)."

... and what about hetersexuals couples that practice anal sex? Can they be Methodists?

and the grand finale:

"Therefore, based on the simplest known anatomy and
physiology, when dealing with the complementarity of the
human sexes, one can simply say, Res ipsa loquitur - the
thing speaks for itself!"

His "arguments" are equally valid for condeming heterosexual practices of fellatio and cunnilingus, and anal sex, all of which can have the same results as the same acts for homosexual men, but he only applies them to homosexuals, since he's biased against them.

Wild Cobra
07-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Can you for once stop repeating others propaganda, read the facts, and voice your own opinion?

First quoted article. There is not consensus. So what.

Second, from an agenda driven organization.

Also in the first, it doesn't explain why... Holsinger's studies were not about gays, but anal sex, which includes heterosexuals who engage in anal sex. His conclusions were that homosexual sex was unhealthy statistically. Are you denying that?

Why is believing a specific type of conduct anti-anything when derrived by scientific study?

DarkReign
07-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Boutons,

WC, as much as he and I are in disagreement, is giving you the benefit of the doubt and approaching you in as much a neutral capacity as he can muster.

Try and reciprocate.

boutons_
07-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Holsinger's document " Pathophysiology of Male Homosexuality" is not about gays?

Wild Cobra
07-14-2007, 04:44 AM
Holsinger's document " Pathophysiology of Male Homosexuality" is not about gays?
Sure it's about gays. I should have stated that differently. The science about is wasn’t just about gays, but included heterosexuals too. Did you read it? How does he come off as anti-gay?

He is a religious man, and separates his religion from science. I have never seen anything he did that has come up as bigoted. Only people like you making it sound as such.

What is it these days... Cannot a strait man talk facts about the gay community without being labeled anti-gay?

Link:

PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF MALE HOMOSEXUALITY (http://www.tugsa.net/holsinger.homosexuality.pdf)

A few passages:

Amoebiasis and giardiasis were found respectively in 31.9% and 13.8% of homosexuals. None of the heterosexuals had pathologic protozoa ... Among males with homosexual partners, 14% had rectal infections. Gonococcal and chlamydia1 infections were equally frequent. Three percent had symptomatic anorectal herpes simplex infection and 11% anal warts...Urethral gonorrhea and/or Chlamydia infections were diagnosed in 39% of heterosexuals compared to only 10% of homosexuals and bisexuals.

Anal warts are commonly found among individuals who practice anal intercourse and only rarely found among heterosexuals practicing vaginal intercourse.

<snip>

This infection appears to be correlated with the higher incidence of anal cancer in homosexual men.

How is repeating scientific study gay-bashing?

boutons_
07-14-2007, 08:51 AM
If he wants to rail against promiscuity (a large number of partners) as the high/higher rate of infections in PROMISCUOUS gays, OK by me.

If he's comparing promiscuous/many partner gays with monogamous/few partner heterosexuals, then he's not being scientific. He's gay bashing.

He's not nominated to be be religious person.
He's being nominated to be scientific person.

dubya was loved by religious-right fascists because he claimed to be born-again, then dubya lies and bullies his way into a bogus war for oil that causes 100s of 1000s casuatlies and destroys a country for decades, but that's alright with religious-right fascists because he's "born again" and "pro life".

As has been so often the case, dubya nominates candidates to please the religious-right fascists or Repug partisan objectives and loyalty rather than for their competence.

Ya Vez
07-14-2007, 08:53 AM
ok tell me what is stopping private business from stem cell research .. .why should the govt. fund big corporations for stem cell research... isn't that corporate welfare?

Yonivore
07-14-2007, 09:05 AM
ok tell me what is stopping private business from stem cell research...
Nothing.

...why should the govt. fund big corporations for stem cell research...
It shouldn't.

isn't that corporate welfare?
That and worse.

Ya Vez
07-14-2007, 09:18 AM
it even happens in other countries .... yikes dam that bush..

Quantum Leap For International Stem Research Collaboration
Main Category: Stem Cell Research News
Article Date: 16 Oct 2006 - 0:00 PDT

A project proposal put forward jointly by Dr. Robin Lovell-Badge, from the MRC's National Institute for Medical Research and Dr. Karen K. Hirschi, from Baylor College of Medicine in Texas, has secured the first ever National Institute for Health Quantum Grant. The "Neuro-Vascular Regeneration" multidisciplinary international collaborative project will be worth approximately $1m per year over 3 years. The award is a testament to the quality of stem cell research happening in the UK and the expertise of scientists in related disciplines.

The overall goal of this project is to engineer neuro-vascular regenerative units in a laboratory environment, which can then be implanted into the damaged cortex of stroke patients to provide a source of neural and vascular cells that will continue to develop and differentiate and lead to the repair of stroke-injured tissue.

The NIH Quantum Grants Program has been developed to make a profound (quantum level) advance in healthcare by funding research on targeted projects that will develop new technologies and modalities for the diagnosis, treatment or prevention of disease.

"Progress in science often occurs when separate disciplines collide, each able to contribute something special towards solving a problem. This is why I am so excited about the research that will be supported by this award," said Dr. Lovell-Badge. "The grant will allow us to discover new information about stem cells in the brain, how they can be manipulated within and outside the body and, we hope, facilitate the development of a treatment for stroke, one of the most common causes of disability, severely affecting quality of life of patients throughout the world."

The highly qualified multidisciplinary project team includes expertise in vascular development, developmental neurobiology, stem cell biology, genetics, biomedical imaging, tissue engineering, and clinical cellular therapies.

The Quantum Grant team within the United Kingdom will be led by the project's co-principle investigator Dr. Robin Lovell-Badge, an expert in genetics and developmental biology, and includes Dr. Jack Price, Professor of Developmental Neurobiology, and the Director of the Centre for the Cellular Basis of Behaviour, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College, London; and Dr. Mike Modo, a Lecturer in the Centre for the Cellular Basis of Behaviour, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College. The Houston team, led by Dr. Karen Hirschi, also includes project co-developer Dr. Mary Dickinson, assistant professor of molecular physiology and biophysics at BCM, Dr. Jennifer West, the Isabel Cameron Professor of Bioengineering at Rice University and director of the college's Institute of Biosciences and Bioengineering, Dr. Thomas Zwaka, assistant professor of molecular and cellular biology in the Center for Cell and Gene Therapy at BCM, and Dr. Malcolm Brenner, professor of medicine and paediatrics and director of the Center for Cell and Gene Therapy at BCM.

�2006 Medical Research Council
http://www.mrc.ac.uk

Wild Cobra
07-14-2007, 05:45 PM
If he wants to rail against promiscuity (a large number of partners) as the high/higher rate of infections in PROMISCUOUS gays, OK by me.
Where did this come from?

If he's comparing promiscuous/many partner gays with monogamous/few partner heterosexuals, then he's not being scientific. He's gay bashing.
That wasn't what the paper was about. It was about the biology and disease related to anal sex vs. vaginal sex.

He's not nominated to be be religious person.
He's being nominated to be scientific person.
No shit. Any evidence he doesn't separate the two?

dubya was loved by religious-right fascists because he claimed to be born-again, then dubya lies and bullies his way into a bogus war for oil that causes 100s of 1000s casuatlies and destroys a country for decades, but that's alright with religious-right fascists because he's "born again" and "pro life".
Ranting...

As has been so often the case, dubya nominates candidates to please the religious-right fascists or Repug partisan objectives and loyalty rather than for their competence.
And raving...

Get over it. Any valid concerns? No. You just will disapprove of anyone that president Bush nominates, right?

boutons_
07-14-2007, 06:03 PM
"you just will disapprove of anyone that president Bush nominates, right?"

I disapprove of everything dubya has done. He has achieved nothing, and fucked up everything he's touched. That's evidence-based.

Your faith-based "belief" in dubya and dickhead places in the tiny minority still supporting dubya and his fuckups.

Wild Cobra
07-14-2007, 06:38 PM
"you just will disapprove of anyone that president Bush nominates, right?"

I disapprove of everything dubya has done. He has achieved nothing, and fucked up everything he's touched. That's evidence-based.

Your faith-based "belief" in dubya and dickhead places in the tiny minority still supporting dubya and his fuckups.
You're a real shithead you know. It is obvious your hatred overrides any rational thought.

fyatuk
07-14-2007, 10:56 PM
July 10, 2007
( an Administration whose prez doesn't believe in evolution? GMAFB )

Isn't Bush an "intelligent design" person? I think I remember him supporting that hypothesis more than anything. If that's the case, it wouldn't be that he didn't believe in evolution, but that he didn't believe in random evolution (and there's no way to prove intelligent/random anyway).

fyatuk
07-14-2007, 11:02 PM

Guess that means you disapprove of drastically increasing alternative and renewable fuel research and education and housing spending.

His first energy bill he submitted right after being inaugarated requested more funding for alternative fuels for one year than all other President's combined had requested. Of course that got killed in committee for 5 years and was extremely watered down by the time it passed.

He initially doubled (or so) federal grants for low income students to attend college, although that was one of the first things he started reducing when the pressure to balance the budget got to him.

He also greatly increased the availability of FHA loans for first time home buyers.

I'm sure there's at least one thing he's done that you would approve of. Blanket statements are idiotic, stick with using "nearly" and "almost" qualifiers.

Yonivore
07-14-2007, 11:44 PM
You're a real shithead you know. It is obvious your hatred overrides any rational thought.
You really need to quit feeding that monkey, WC. It's hopeless. You're not the first to try and reason with buttfuck boutons and I'm sure you won't be the last. Save yourself the exasperation and put him on ignore.

I've seen more of his vitriol, because of your engaging him, than I care to. So, if you want to do me a favor and you intend to continue trying talk sense with an idiot who appears to be digressing and devolving with every post, at least don't quote his posts in your responses.

Okay?

Wild Cobra
07-15-2007, 05:21 AM
You really need to quit feeding that monkey, WC. It's hopeless. You're not the first to try and reason with buttfuck boutons and I'm sure you won't be the last. Save yourself the exasperation and put him on ignore.
I have been so close a few times to put him and a few others on ignore. I am beginning to see how hopeless and lost he really is. At least others who dislike president Bush seem to have at least a small measure of rational.

I've seen more of his vitriol, because of your engaging him, than I care to. So, if you want to do me a favor and you intend to continue trying talk sense with an idiot who appears to be digressing and devolving with every post, at least don't quote his posts in your responses.

Okay?
LOL. Sorry, if I continue with him, I will quote for context. However, I do think that will come to an end. My finger has been itching for that IGNORE button.