PDA

View Full Version : Fish back with the Show...

Medvedenko
07-11-2007, 12:10 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/abox/article_1760239.php

Looks like D-fish will be back in LA...too much money I say, but his leadership will help tremendously.

ploto
07-11-2007, 12:12 AM
The Lakers and Fisher were working toward an agreement Tuesday night on a three-year contract, probably starting at about $5 million. Fisher, who turns 33 next month, is seeking most of the Lakers’ mid-level salary-cap exception ($5.356 million next season) to give the Lakers a steady hand at lead guard while youngsters Jordan Farmar and Javaris Crittenton learn their trade.

spurscenter
07-11-2007, 12:46 AM
utah gets robbed. send them a player at least

buy out should not happen.

i guess this is the only exception .

But its becoming too much of the norm now days.

exstatic
07-11-2007, 07:59 AM
utah gets robbed. send them a player at least

buy out should not happen.

i guess this is the only exception .

But its becoming too much of the norm now days.
I don't think Utah bought him out. I think they just released him from his contract at his request. They probably weren't that unhappy about it, either. His contract sucked ass. It was HUGE.

SpursIndonesia
07-11-2007, 10:46 AM
So, Utah released him from his contract meaning they don't have to pay his remaining salary, right ? I got a bit confused here -compared to being waived or bought out.

ShackO
07-11-2007, 12:23 PM
When he left everyone down there was happy........
& now what????

They will be hating on him after the first missed shot... AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Utah scored big in this deal. DFish isn't worth the money the Jazz were giving him. He isn't worth the money the Lakers are giving him either.

Medvedenko
07-11-2007, 01:49 PM
I agree Ed....that's why this deal isn't completed yet....if they can get him for 3 years around 3 mil each, than do it...

LakeShow
07-11-2007, 02:52 PM
I think he's worth every bit of that contract. A veteran, with championship experience, 3 rings and an extent knowledge of the triangle and how to run it!I'll take fisher over the other choices (Francis/Blake) that would probably cost the lakers just as much if not more than Fishers asking price, and it would be no guarantee that those players will adapt and perform well in Phil Jacksons triangle offense.

Too much money is paying Radmanovic 5.6 million in 2007, 6 million in 2008, 6.5 in 2009, and 7 million in 2010. That's grossly overpayment for a player of his caliber.

Make it happen Mitch!

FromWayDowntown
07-11-2007, 03:18 PM
A veteran, with championship experience, 3 rings

Are you suggesting that the Lakers are a title contender and that Fisher puts them in better position to win again?

If so, I think you're delusional.

LakeShow
07-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Are you suggesting that the Lakers are a title contender and that Fisher puts them in better position to win again?

If so, I think you're delusional.

If you think that is what I was saying with that statement, then it is you who is Delusional! Fisher fills a void at one of the positions that the lakers need to fill. Fisher > Smush Parker

milkyway21
07-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Fisher as lead guard? how old is he? can he still run faster than our TP? he:D he:D :bike

BTW, where's Smush? did you just waived him and let him go?
did he signed with another team?

ShackO
07-12-2007, 11:22 AM
If you think that is what I was saying with that statement, then it is you who is Delusional! Fisher fills a void at one of the positions that the lakers need to fill. Fisher > Smush Parker

lol................ Sometimes ppl can read one whole hellvA lot between the lines......

But do you really think he has three years left in him????

He showd some great moments last season. But he was looking tired even when he was in Oakland.............

I recall a lot of hate for him when he wa in la.............. A lot of that still going around???

LakeShow
07-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Fisher as lead guard? how old is he? can he still run faster than our TP? he:D he:D :bike

BTW, where's Smush? did you just waived him and let him go?
did he signed with another team?

I think he's 33 but Fisher looks like he has a couple of good years left in him. Of course he can't run with parker but Phil Jackson wont need for him to. Phil ownes Parker! He's good for a couple of good games in a series but as soon as the Lakers send him to the floor a couple of times, he won't be a factor. Just like all of the previous years when the lakers were able to make him disappear. :) His knowledge of the triangle and his hard work on the court would do wonders for Famar's development. How old was Ron Harper when he was able to contribute to 2 of the lakers 3 titles in 2K? Experience is what the lakers need at that position and with Fisher, they have it. Plus, Kobe trusts him!

All we need now is a KG or JO and it's on! :toast

Smush was released immediately after the playoffs. I haven't heard from him since.

LakeShow
07-12-2007, 11:38 AM
lol................ Sometimes ppl can read one whole hellvA lot between the lines......

But do you really think he has three years left in him????

He showd some great moments last season. But he was looking tired even when he was in Oakland.............

I recall a lot of hate for him when he wa in la.............. A lot of that still going around???

:lol Unbelievable!

Maybe not 3 years but i dont see a problem with 2 years and maybe like Harper, more of a mentor in his final season.

After 2 or 3 years of Smush Parker, Lakers fans would gladly welcome Fish back to the team. Myself included. :toast

LakeShow
07-12-2007, 12:08 PM
It turned out better than expected!

Derek Fisher agrees to a 3-year contract to rejoin the Lakers

12:32 AM PDT on Thursday, July 12, 2007

By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

LAS VEGAS - For all intents and purposes, Derek Fisher will re-join the Lakers.

Fisher and the Lakers have agreed to a three-year contract worth about $13,959,000, league sources said.

However, there will be a holding period before he can sign the contract. Fisher, who was released by the Utah Jazz last week, has to clear waivers first.

It'll take seven days before Fisher can clear waivers, and that won't start until his previous contract of $20,592,600 that he walked away from is amended to zero dollars.

As of Wednesday night, the Jazz had not filed the paperwork with the NBA about Fisher's release. The seven-day countdown to Fisher's being free and able to sign with the Lakers won't start until Utah does.

Another team could pick up Fisher before he clears waivers. But if it does, that team will be on the hook for all of Fisher's $20,592,600 salary.

Fisher's contract with the Lakers will start at $4.3 million, which is less than the mid-level exception for next season at $5.3 million.

But Fisher, who will turn 33 next month, will get 8 percent raises on the next two years of his contract that will pay him $4.644 million during the 2008-09 season and $5.015 million in the final year.

Fisher became available after the Jazz released him from the last three years of a guaranteed contract so that he can concentrate on getting the best care for his 11-month-old daughter, who has cancer in her left eye.

Los Angeles is one the cities that can provide Fisher with the health care he needs for Tatum, who has been diagnosed with retinoblastoma.

The Lakers will hold a news conference today, and Luke Walton will sign a six-year, $30 million contract. Walton's agent announced that deal last week.

Walton and his agent agreed to help the Lakers out as far as the luxury tax is concerned by taking just $4 million in the first year.

That's still a significant raise from the $1,375,000 he earned last season.

Still, if Fisher signs, the Lakers will have committed $67.98 million to 13 players.

That would be slightly over next season's luxury tax threshold of $67.865 million.

Teams that exceed that have to pay a dollar-for-dollar tax. The Lakers could trade a player to get below the tax.

But the Lakers still want to re-sign center Chris Mihm, which could put them in luxury-tax jeopardy again.

Fisher spent the first eight years of his NBA career with the Lakers and was a part of three championship teams (2000-2002).

He was known as a good person in the locker room and in the community and was a close confidant of Kobe Bryant, whose agent, Rob Pelinka, just became Fisher's agent.

Fisher left the Lakers after they lost to the Detroit Pistons in the 2004 NBA Finals. He signed a six-year, $37 million contract with the Golden State Warriors, then was traded to the Jazz last summer.

Reach Broderick Turner at [email protected]

iminlakerland
07-12-2007, 04:20 PM
:) my boy is back

ShackO
07-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Not good news for the rest of us in the west.......

Is this going to be enough to satisfy "you know who"....??????

LakeShow
07-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Not good news for the rest of us in the west.......

Is this going to be enough to satisfy "you know who"....??????

It should be, they were the best of friends while playing together and Fish used to get on him about passing the ball. I think Kobe will be happy with this move.

LakeShow
07-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Props to The Jazz!

Jazz players wish Fisher the best in L.A.

By Linda Hamilton
Deseret Morning News
Dee Brown called him "my pops" last season.
"I love D-Fish. I'm glad for him. He's my guy, man. He meant a lot to me this year," said Brown, whose reaction to news that former Jazzman Derek Fisher has agreed to a three-year deal with the Los Angeles Lakers was echoed by several others within the Utah Jazz organization Thursday.
Fisher will not be able to sign the deal for nearly $14 million — as reported by the Riverside (Calif.) Press-Enterprise — for seven days because he must clear the offseason waiver period.
The 32-year-old combo guard, who spent one season with the Jazz and helped them reach the NBA Western Conference Finals in May, asked team owner Larry H. Miller to let him out of the final three years of his contract so that he could move to a city where his family's choice of treatments for his daughter's eye cancer would be available. Miller agreed. So did the NBA, the paperwork being returned to Utah on Tuesday night.
Fisher was up-front about wishing to sign with another NBA team where such a medical facility existed, and the Jazz complied, knowing he would likely be an opponent next season. "We granted it. And we move on," said Jazz senior VP of basketball operations Kevin O'Connor on Thursday, adding the Jazz did not seek to limit the cities or teams to which Fisher might go.
"Larry felt it's important and incumbent that we allow him to pursue other options, from a medical point of view," said O'Connor. "We wish him the best, and I hope four games a year he doesn't play well against us."
Fisher will lose more than $6 million, as his contract with the Jazz called for him to make $20.58 million over the three years.
"I wish him luck," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "He did a good job for us. We'd love to have him here, but it didn't work that way, and life goes on."
But life will be tougher without Fisher.
"Expectations are very high now because we did well (in the playoffs), but we're not as good a team now since we lost Fisher," Sloan said.
In just one season, Fisher had a big effect on several young former teammates.
"I'm happy for him," said free agent Rafael Araujo, practicing with the Jazz team that begins play in the Rocky Mountain Revue tonight at 7 at Salt Lake Community College. "(Now) he's located somewhere he can give close attention to his daughter, better support."
Paul Millsap, entering his second Revue, agreed. "We lost a big key to our team, but family comes first, and you've got to respect that," he said.
Another second-year player, Ronnie Brewer, added: "I'm proud of him. I wish him the best, his daughter the best, his family the best. He's a first-class guy. He meant a lot to our team."