PDA

View Full Version : Will James White stay a spur?

PhaQ
07-11-2007, 01:28 PM
I hope so....even though Im a LAKER fan 4 life....I just like James White......the best dunker in the league today and ever......do you guys think he will stay in the spurs so he can join the NBA dunk contest next year?

PhaQ
07-11-2007, 01:31 PM
What do you guys think? :wtf :downspin:

lebomb
07-11-2007, 01:33 PM
I think he needs to play better.

PhaQ
07-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Does that mean that he might not make it in the squad????

PhaQ
07-11-2007, 01:37 PM
How come nobody is making a comment?? Its just a simple question.... :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

ducks
07-11-2007, 01:38 PM
no

victor is better option

bdictjames
07-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Yes

But he cracks the rotation when Bruce gets way too old for 35+ minutes a game.

PhaQ
07-11-2007, 01:42 PM
I think he will stay because I heard alot of good things said about James White.....Even Popovich said they like him....

SenorSpur
07-11-2007, 01:43 PM
His ability to dunk won't keep him on the team. Committing himself to playing good defense, rebounding and playing team basketball will.

Fabbs
07-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Hard to say at this point if he will get a roster spot or playing time.
Defensively sounds like he is getting better.
Offensively he does better in a ball movement offense which the Spurs only use part time.

PhaQ
07-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Hard to say at this point if he will get a roster spot or playing time.
Defensively sounds like he is getting better.
Offensively he does better in a ball movement offense which the Spurs only use part time.

I'm pretty sure he will get some playing time because all of last year he just stayed on the bench and just watched everything.....now this year....the coach will probably give him limited playing time...or even a good amount of playing time...and after that...he will join the dunk contest....

Spurminator
07-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Heresy to even ask the question.

easjer
07-11-2007, 02:00 PM
The problem is that the Spurs are running out of roster spots and are on a timeline for developing players (it generally takes a year to get the hang of the system). If someone looks like a better prospect (ie, Marcus Williams), then it's better to cut White and sign Williams so that he can play effectively when Barry/Finley/Bowen are gone. Additionally, there are very limited minutes available at that position - currently Manu, Finley, Barry, Bruce are ahead of him in the rotation and they play steady minutes.

I personally would like for him to stay, because I'm still hopeful that he can develop into a great role player. But the clock is ticking and it may not be feasible given the other factors. In a vacuum, I think he stays. In the real world, unless they can get rid of either or both of Barry/Beno, I think his roster spot is gone.

PhaQ
07-11-2007, 02:03 PM
I personally would like for him to stay, because I'm still hopeful that he can develop into a great role player. But the clock is ticking and it may not be feasible given the other factors. In a vacuum, I think he stays. In the real world, unless they can get rid of either or both of Barry/Beno, I think his roster spot is gone.

Damn....why do you say his Roster Spot is gone???

PhaQ
07-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Also....you have to think that White has 1 year already with the team......so he must be ahead of the other players right????????

bdictjames
07-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Also....you have to think that White has 1 year already with the team......so he must be ahead of the other players right????????
He hasn't proven anything with his one year with the Spurs.

PhaQ
07-11-2007, 02:09 PM
When is the last day they can decide if they keep him for not?

easjer
07-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Because the Spurs only have 1 open roster spot (White is currently on the roster). There are 3 players who have legit chances to be brought over/to sign with the Spurs, imo (Sanikidze, Williams, Mahinmi). I don't know if any of the 3 would see much by way of playing time (and assume that at least Mahinimi, and possibly Williams will be spending most of their time in Austin).

Mahinmi is an interesting case particularly, because it doesn't appear that he has anything else lined up, which would be a real negative. I get the sense that if he doesn't come over now, he never will - and I think the Spurs are very interested in giving him a shot.

In the other thread, there is talk about cutting White, and someone makes a very interesting point - White was an interesting find, but not a Spurs pick. The Spurs had a 6'7'' 200 lb swingman under contract, with a year of experience on the team, and they drafted a 6'7" 200 lb swingman anyway, despite limited roster spots. That is thought provoking.

Sanikidze, I don't know much about, and think they'd bring him over if they could unload Beno, so I think he has less to do with White.

I can't see them keeping both White and Williams, given Mahinmi's situation. I think they had planned to unload Beno and Barry/Finley, leaving plenty of roster openings, but now they are stuck with all 3 (presumably - still lots of offseason left), and 1 solo spot. White and Williams are essentially the same player, competing for scrap minutes - the same scrap minutes on a loaded position. I think only 1 of them makes it.

I could be totally wrong. But I think the dilemma with spots and youth as well as who the Spurs really are putting faith in is putting them in a tough spot. That's why I think they are beginning to shop Jackie around and trying to sell Scola's rights. I really don't think they necessarily anticipated having just 1 spot. Also playing a role in this is the fact that the Spurs are currently (without signing someone for the 15th spot) $2.1 million over the luxury tax, which is a dollar for dollar penalty. They have not historically liked to pay that (but they did last year). That may have some bearing. Cutting White would remove roughly $1.5 million in salary and taxes (that does presume that they didn't sign someone else, which I think unlikely).

There are more knowledgeable people out there who think White is on the bubble as well.

easjer
07-11-2007, 02:15 PM

They have to waive him before Aug. 1 to avoid the minimum contract guarantee (of $100,000 I think).

Mr. Body
07-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Because the Spurs only have 1 open roster spot (White is currently on the roster). There are 3 players who have legit chances to be brought over/to sign with the Spurs, imo (Sanikidze, Williams, Mahinmi). I don't know if any of the 3 would see much by way of playing time (and assume that at least Mahinimi, and possibly Williams will be spending most of their time in Austin).

Mahinmi is an interesting case particularly, because it doesn't appear that he has anything else lined up, which would be a real negative. I get the sense that if he doesn't come over now, he never will - and I think the Spurs are very interested in giving him a shot.

In the other thread, there is talk about cutting White, and someone makes a very interesting point - White was an interesting find, but not a Spurs pick. The Spurs had a 6'7'' 200 lb swingman under contract, with a year of experience on the team, and they drafted a 6'7" 200 lb swingman anyway, despite limited roster spots. That is thought provoking.

Sanikidze, I don't know much about, and think they'd bring him over if they could unload Beno, so I think he has less to do with White.

I can't see them keeping both White and Williams, given Mahinmi's situation. I think they had planned to unload Beno and Barry/Finley, leaving plenty of roster openings, but now they are stuck with all 3 (presumably - still lots of offseason left), and 1 solo spot. White and Williams are essentially the same player, competing for scrap minutes - the same scrap minutes on a loaded position. I think only 1 of them makes it.

I could be totally wrong. But I think the dilemma with spots and youth as well as who the Spurs really are putting faith in is putting them in a tough spot. That's why I think they are beginning to shop Jackie around and trying to sell Scola's rights. I really don't think they necessarily anticipated having just 1 spot. Also playing a role in this is the fact that the Spurs are currently (without signing someone for the 15th spot) $2.1 million over the luxury tax, which is a dollar for dollar penalty. They have not historically liked to pay that (but they did last year). That may have some bearing. Cutting White would remove roughly $1.5 million in salary and taxes (that does presume that they didn't sign someone else, which I think unlikely).

There are more knowledgeable people out there who think White is on the bubble as well.

That's basically the perfect summary of the situation. I wonder if it occurred to White before the article that he was on the bubble at all.

MrChug
07-11-2007, 02:19 PM
I hope so....even though Im a LAKER fan 4 life....I just like James White......the best dunker in the league today and ever......do you guys think he will stay in the spurs so he can join the NBA dunk contest next year?

Your interest in James White for his dunking ability and apparantly only that is at least consisitent with your love for the Lakers of today...

SAGambler
07-11-2007, 02:25 PM
I may be wrong, but I think at this point if it comes down to White or Williams, White gets the spot.

He has had a years training in how the Spurs play, and from what I gather Williams has shown very little so far in SL.

BacktoBasics
07-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Also....you have to think that White has 1 year already with the team......so he must be ahead of the other players right????????Apparently not. His defense, rotation and spacing have sucked.

smrattler
07-11-2007, 02:37 PM
It might not come down to just White or Williams though. They might be considering Ian as well or a possible player that is cut late in the summer. If nobody is traded (Butler, Beno, etc) we may not have even room for either White or Williams.

SenorSpur
07-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Assuming both Williams and White are developing at a reasonable pace and given they only have 1 roster spot available, I wonder if the Spurs would move either Barry or Beno to open up yet an additional roster spot. It's been reported here that they have already had talks surrounding the possible movement of Butler.

manufor3
07-11-2007, 04:28 PM

August 1st

Kori Ellis
07-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Well he hasn't done anything for the most part in summer league. The paper says today that they will consider cutting him. And then today, he got hurt in the summer league game.

So, my guess is that they cut him.

But who knows.

easjer
07-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Assuming both Williams and White are developing at a reasonable pace and given they only have 1 roster spot available, I wonder if the Spurs would move either Barry or Beno to open up yet an additional roster spot. It's been reported here that they have already had talks surrounding the possible movement of Butler.

I think if they move Butler it's solely to bring in Ian. Otherwise, it makes more sense to hang on to him. That might also indicate that they intend to sign Williams and retain White (or cut White and bring some other person in - Sanikidze being the most likely). I don't see any reason to let Butler go without bringing Ian if you are also cutting White and maybe/not signing Williams. You've just wasted a year on both of them and lost all the youth on the bench.

That's just me though (and I want to emphasize that if Ian comes over, it'll be straight to Austin - I'm not pretending he'd get playing time).

Kori Ellis
07-11-2007, 04:54 PM
I don't think there's any chance at all they sign Williams. I had hope before summer league, but man, he's horrible. He's so freakin slow.

Ocotillo
07-11-2007, 05:06 PM
White and Williams both look like they are playing themselves out of spot on the roster.

Bruno
07-11-2007, 05:07 PM
If Spurs have one roster spot available for Williams and White, I'm quite sure Williams will get it.

Slinkyman
07-11-2007, 05:13 PM
white, williams, etc. are scrubs, time to move on. Bring on Viktor and Ian.

Ocotillo
07-11-2007, 05:16 PM
white, williams, etc. are scrubs, time to move on. Bring on Viktor and Ian.

No more domestic players, bring on the Euros..... :lol

Seriously, when are we going to get better at U.S. scouting?

wildbill2u
07-11-2007, 05:19 PM
If White has played in the system for a year and still can't catch on to the fact that he'll have to play great D to stay with the team, he's probably on the bottom of that bubble.

Spurs are not a team that is looking to dazzle the league with an alley oop dunk every time down the court. White may be a one-trick pony.

barbacoataco
07-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Maybe White is a better fit on a different team. One that cares more about showmanship and cool dunks.

Problem? If White and Williams are busts (still VERY early to give up on Williams)--- what are the Spurs going to do to at the SF/SG position. Bowen, Barry, Finley are all getting older by the minute.

Possible? Next summer we lose Finley and Barry. Wouldn't that give us the cap room to sign ONE very good SF in their place?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-11-2007, 05:56 PM
White has not done anything in summer league? I thought he was like our leading scorer/slasher?

Mr. Body
07-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Problem? If White and Williams are busts (still VERY early to give up on Williams)--- what are the Spurs going to do to at the SF/SG position. Bowen, Barry, Finley are all getting older by the minute.

Go back in time and draft Dominic McGuire instead.

Possible? Next summer we lose Finley and Barry. Wouldn't that give us the cap room to sign ONE very good SF in their place?

Problem is, SFs are very expensive. Hell, everyone is very expensive in this league according to Spurs scale.

Mr. Body
07-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Spurs should trade James White back to Indiana for three more future 2nd round picks.

barbacoataco
07-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Problem is, SFs are very expensive. Hell, everyone is very expensive in this league according to Spurs scale.[/QUOTE]

Then Sanikidze is the answer? If they don't have White or Williams on their 2008 roster, I would think they need at least one young SF on the bench. Finley I think is nearly cooked. Ditto:Barry. Bowen might have a couple good years left. Also Spurs are thin at SG.

SenorSpur
07-11-2007, 06:05 PM
If these two guys are washing out, the Spurs may have to "dip their toes" into the FA pool. Perhaps Pietrus?

Mr. Body
07-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Then Sanikidze is the answer?

Who knows what the hell the Spurs are thinking. It's almost like they've fallen asleep. They're barely even playing The Kidze in Summer League; can we expect them to bother bringing him over?

Mr. Body
07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
If these two guys are washing out, the Spurs may have to "dip their toes" into the FA pool. Perhaps Pietrus?

Pietrus and all those other guys are too rich for the Spurs' blood.

SenorSpur
07-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Pietrus and all those other guys are too rich for the Spurs' blood.

What was I thinking?

I, like everyone else, will be BIG concerned if the Spurs go into yet another season with no obvious longer term answer at the SF/SG position.

Mr. Body
07-11-2007, 06:10 PM
What was I thinking?

I, like everyone else, will be BIG concerned if the Spurs go into yet another season with no obvious longer term answer at the SF/SG position.

Pietrus probably goes for the full MLE. Miami is working to get him, I hear.

I have no fucking clue what the Spurs have in mind.

Meanwhile, DOMINIC MCGUIRE is playing excellent for Washington versus Detroit.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-11-2007, 06:14 PM
White has not done anything in summer league? I thought he was like our leading scorer/slasher?
Our scorer is Jackie Butler.
And White barely slashes for some reason.

SenorSpur
07-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Pietrus probably goes for the full MLE. Miami is working to get him, I hear.

I have no fucking clue what the Spurs have in mind.

Meanwhile, DOMINIC MCGUIRE is playing excellent for Washington versus Detroit.

Hmmmm. If Miami gets Pietrus and Stevie Francis, that would be a successful summer.

I need to watch some Spurs summer league games on my own to see just how badly both White and Williams are sucking.

Maybe the Spurs are hoping that Mahinmi to play the swing position. :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Cut White and Williams. Trade Barry to the Bucks for the exception. Sign Kelenna Azubuike and Viktor Sanikidze.

Darkwaters
07-11-2007, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't mind pursuing Azubuike. He seems like a solid player. But we'd likely have to outbid the Warriors...and I can't see the Spurs coughing up the money.

What about reconsidering the Joey Graham trade? Beno + 2nd rounder for Joey Graham? Hes a SF that can play the 4 and he might be worth a look. Plus hes on a cheap rookie contract.

I really like the idea of acquiring Rudy Fernandez's rights. Portland drafted James White as the 1st pick in the second round and only parted with him for 3 other draft picks. Our 2008 first and James White might free Rudy up. Plus, it would send James White back "home". Or perhaps simply Scola and James White would work? All and all, Fernandez would be a great piece to bring over next season along with Splitter.

Sign Sanikidze. I don't care if he sits in Austin all season, I think the guy needs a shot to make the team. Hes sure not getting a whole lot of time at Estudiantes anyways.

Mr. Body
07-11-2007, 09:06 PM
I really like the idea of acquiring Rudy Fernandez's rights. Portland drafted James White as the 1st pick in the second round and only parted with him for 3 other draft picks. Our 2008 first and James White might free Rudy up. Plus, it would send James White back "home". Or perhaps simply Scola and James White would work? All and all, Fernandez would be a great piece to bring over next season along with Splitter.

WHY WOULD PORTLAND NEED LUIS SCOLA?!?!?!?!

WHY WOULD PORTLAND TRADE AWAY FERNANDEZ?!?!?!?

Gros Membres!
07-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Why is not going to make the cut. He's toast. Bring on the plethora of unknowns to audition for the job. Richard Melzer, anyone?

yavozerb
07-11-2007, 09:23 PM
The spurs are not going to panic and start making trades left and right cause williams and white are playing so poorly..I see maybe one trade this offseason and it will be very minor. They may pick up a player who doesn't make a team (ala james white) and sign them as back up pg and/or SF..

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-11-2007, 09:25 PM
It's obvious based on today neither Williams or White will be on the roster come September.

My guess is White gets cut, Williams gets sent to the Toros, and we sign Sanikidze and bring over Ian as well.

Darkwaters
07-11-2007, 09:46 PM
WHY WOULD PORTLAND NEED LUIS SCOLA?!?!?!?!

WHY WOULD PORTLAND TRADE AWAY FERNANDEZ?!?!?!?

The only reason I can see them wanting Scola is for his veteran leadership...something they're sorely lacking on that squad. But they would have to move one of their other front court pieces to make room for him so its unlikely that he is even desirable to them.

They obviously liked what they saw in White a year ago, otherwise they wouldn't have drafted him. They traded him, but they traded him high and not for garbage. This trade hedges largely on their continued interest in him.

A future first would have to be one of the features of the trade...but I'm not sure if even more youth really is what they're looking for at this point.

The trade is a long shot at best. But I am desperate for Rudy.

Mr. Body
07-11-2007, 09:48 PM
They drafted James White for Indiana, I believe, not to keep.

I'm truly sorry to tell you, my friend, Rudy Fernandez will not be a Spur.

Darkwaters
07-11-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm truly sorry to tell you, my friend, Rudy Fernandez will not be a Spur.

[sigh]

I suppose I was simply manifesting hope. Regardless, I hope RC has at least called and asked what Rudy would cost. But the only way hes a Spur is probably via free agency way down the road.

Ok, moving on though. Bring Sanikidze.

timvp
07-11-2007, 09:58 PM
I was reading searching the Express-News archives a couple weeks ago for anything regarding Rudy Fernandez. I came across an article where RC via Ludden noted Rudy's poor gamesmanship in contests in Europe. Knowing the Spurs, that probably was enough to cross him off their list as a first round candidate.

Darkwaters
07-11-2007, 10:05 PM
I was reading searching the Express-News archives a couple weeks ago for anything regarding Rudy Fernandez. I came across an article where RC via Ludden noted Rudy's poor gamesmanship in contests in Europe. Knowing the Spurs, that probably was enough to cross him off their list as a first round candidate.

Well, Ludden was also the one that threw Butler under the bus all of last season. I'm not sure that any of that was really substantiated either, so I take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

Regardless, that is surprising if its true. I have been supremely impressed with what I've seen of him and I wish we had acquired him.

El_Mago
07-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Fuck this.

I am sticking with White.

I believe in the kid.

I truly the Spurs do too....

Deep down inside, I think the Spurs staff likes him and see's a bright future....

He just needs to focus on the D....

To be honest, I think the Spurs have seen enough of Viktor...

He's been here a couple of times, he's played in the Summer League, and they keep tabs on him in Europe....

They know what they have in him....there is no rush with him....he's extremely young....

Darkwaters
07-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Seriously though, about Joey Graham.

The Raptors just sent an offer sheet to Maceo Baston. They're seriously not leaving much room for this guy in the rotation. He could probably be had for cheap. He might be worth a look...especially if it only costs Beno and a second rounder.