PDA

View Full Version : GOP campaign officially kicks off

clambake
07-11-2007, 02:54 PM
US security chief warns of higher risk of attack over summer
07.11.07, 4:44 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Thomson Financial) - Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said in an interview released Wednesday the United States faces a higher risk of a terrorist attack over the summer months.

'I believe we are entering a period this summer of increased risk,' Chertoff told the Chicago Tribune (nyse: TRB - news - people ).

'We've seen a lot more public statements from Al-Qaeda. There are a lot of reasons to speculate about that but one reason that occurs to me is that they're feeling more comfortable and raising expectations,' he said in the interview posted on the newspaper's website.

Chertoff, referring to the Al-Qaeda network, said that 'in prior summers, we've had attacks against the West, which suggests that summer seems to be appealing to them.'

Chertoff said his remarks were based on past patterns of terrorist attacks, recent statements by Al-Qaeda, 'increased activity in South Asia,' and intelligence reports.

'All these things have given me kind of a gut feeling that we are in a period of increased vulnerability,' said Chertoff, who spoke to the paper's editorial writers on Tuesday in Chicago.

But Chertoff said that there was no evidence of an imminent plot that would require raising the current threat level for the country.

Chertoff's comments came as a US television network reported that US intelligence indicated a heightened threat from Al-Qaeda.

'Senior US intelligence officials tell ABC news that new intelligence suggests a small Al-Qaeda cell is on its way to the United States, or may already be here,' ABC reported on its website.

Chertoff warned against complacency among the US public and said Americans had to be willing to accept a degree of inconvenience to counter terrorist threats.

'If we get into a road where everybody's attitude is, 'I'm interested in homeland security but not if it's going to cost me anything, not if it's going to inconvenience me, not if it's going to be in my backyard,' then we get complacency and I guarantee we will lose the race with the terrorists,' he said.

'The one thing they have in abundance is fanatic devotion to their cause.'

Referring to the September 11 attacks against New York and Washington in 2001, Chertoff said: 'We could easily be attacked. The intent to attack us remains as strong as it was on September 10, 2001.'

[email protected]

ejb/jlc

Chertoff said I have this gut feeling that all of us are dead". He also stated "This should get the repubs back on board".

Ocotillo
07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
This ought a bring a tear to X-Ray's eye.......... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4tbzvBCn8Y&eurl=)

gtownspur
07-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Clambake is an idiot.

I hope i've contributed to this discussion...

Nbadan
07-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Why do we need a multi-billion dollar DNS budget when we have Chertoff's gut-feelings? defund!

clambake
07-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Clambake is an idiot.

I hope i've contributed to this discussion...

There is no hope for you. Run for your life.

Report: al-Qaida has regained strength

By KATHERINE SHRADER and MATTHEW LEE
Associated Press Writers

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The government has concluded that al-Qaida has rebuilt its operating capability to a level not seen since the summer of 2001, The Associated Press has learned.
A new threat assessment suggests the group that launched the most devastating terrorist attack on the United States has been able to rebuild despite nearly six years of bombings, war and other tactics aimed at crippling it.

Thanks for nothing Mr. President.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-11-2007, 05:45 PM
rofl

I heard about both of these news reports on the radio today. So basically they are hoping that neocons are so incredibly stupid that they will continue giving up personal liberties, sovereignity, and all that jazz for the same reasons we did back in 2000 and 2004. Ya'll sure are some stupid asses to keep falling for this shit, because they wouldn't pull these tactics if they did not have a history of working beautifully.

PixelPusher
07-12-2007, 12:18 AM
There is no hope for you. Run for your life.

Report: al-Qaida has regained strength

By KATHERINE SHRADER and MATTHEW LEE
Associated Press Writers

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The government has concluded that al-Qaida has rebuilt its operating capability to a level not seen since the summer of 2001, The Associated Press has learned.
A new threat assessment suggests the group that launched the most devastating terrorist attack on the United States has been able to rebuild despite nearly six years of bombings, war and other tactics aimed at crippling it.

Thanks for nothing Mr. President.

"We fight them over there, so that we don't have to fight them here" - R.I.P. 2003 - 2007

The Bushbots better get a good night's sleep, they're going to have a full day of spin control tomorrow.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 12:24 AM
So basically they are hoping that neocons are so incredibly stupid that they will continue giving up personal liberties, sovereignity

Just curious, what sovereignty and personal liberties is it that we're supposed to have given up?

About the only changes I can think of are needing a passport for a drunken trip to Mexico and having to take my shoes off for x-ray at the airport.

Yeah, that really sucks. :rolleyes