PDA

View Full Version : "Ginormous" and "Crunk" Among New Words In the Dictionary

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-11-2007, 05:39 PM
A 'Ginormous' Change for Dictionary
By ADAM GORLICK,AP
Posted: 2007-07-11 12:42:28
Filed Under: Nation
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (July 10) - It was a ginormous year for the wordsmiths at Merriam-Webster. Along with embracing the adjective that combines "gigantic" and "enormous," the dictionary publishers also got into Bollywood, sudoku and speed dating.

But their interest in India's motion-picture industry, number puzzles and trendy ways to meet people was all meant for a higher cause: updating the company's collegiate dictionary, which goes on sale this fall with about 100 newly added words.

As always, the yearly list gives meaning to the latest lingo in pop culture, technology and current events.

There's "crunk," a style of Southern rap music; the abbreviated "DVR," for digital video recorder; and "IED," shorthand for the improvised explosive devices that have become common in the war in Iraq.

If it sounds as though Merriam-Webster is dropping its buttoned-down image with too much talk of "smackdowns" (contests in entertainment wrestling) and "telenovelas" (Latin-American soap operas), consider it also is adding "gray literature" (hard-to-get written material) and "microgreen" (a shoot of a standard salad plant.)

No matter how odd some of the words might seem, the dictionary editors say each has the promise of sticking around in the American vocabulary.

"There will be linguistic conservatives who will turn their nose up at a word like `ginormous,"' said John Morse, Merriam-Webster's president. "But it's become a part of our language. It's used by professional writers in mainstream publications. It clearly has staying power."

One of those naysayers is Allan Metcalf, a professor of English at MacMurray College in Jacksonville, Ill., and the executive secretary of the American Dialect Society.

"A new word that stands out and is ostentatious is going to sink like a lead balloon," he said. "It might enjoy a fringe existence."

But Merriam-Webster traces ginormous back to 1948, when it appeared in a British dictionary of military slang. And in the past several years, its use has become, well, ginormous.

Visitors to the Springfield-based dictionary publisher's Web site picked "ginormous" as their favorite word that's not in the dictionary in 2005, and Merriam-Webster editors have spotted it in countless newspaper and magazine articles since 2000.

That's essentially the criteria for making it into the collegiate dictionary - if a word shows up often enough in mainstream writing, the editors consider defining it.

But as editor Jim Lowe puts it: "Nobody has to use `ginormous' if they don't want to."

For the record, he doesn't.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/a-ginormous-change-for-dictionary/20070711084809990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Cant_Be_Faded
07-11-2007, 06:01 PM
jesus christ even i stopped saying ginormous back in 2000

Crunk shoulda been a word by that time too iirc.

I guess the kiddies are saying crunk at record pace still.

E20
07-11-2007, 06:17 PM
What does crunk mean? I know Ginormous is Gigantic and Enormous put together.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Just watch a Lil' Jon video and you'll figure out what crunk means.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Crunk was used in victoria as another word for "cool" or "sweet", but unlike those words could also be used as a verb without changing its spelling.

"Yeeeah, dat party gonbe crunk"

"Yeeeah, we gon crunk dat party up"

Get it?

ashbeeigh
07-11-2007, 06:32 PM
A lot of the people I work with, 20-something college students use crunk in everyday language, not even when talking about parties...like "Man that's a crunk outfit." I love the word ginourmous all the time...I love it.

peewee's lovechild
07-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Crunk is just a stupid, lame-ass word.

Ginormous is cool.

I'm still waiting for "Fantaboulus" to make it to the dictionary.

SpursWoman
07-11-2007, 07:59 PM

Ginormous is cool.

I'm still waiting for "Fantaboulus" to make it to the dictionary.

:tu

Although, I thought "ginormous" was always a *word* ... I've used if for years. :lol

peewee's lovechild
07-11-2007, 08:02 PM
:tu

Although, I thought "ginormous" was always a *word* ... I've used if for years. :lol

So did I, I'm surprised it's considered new.

How about "Fantabulous"?
I got it from Rachel Ray.

marini martini
07-11-2007, 08:07 PM
I got it from Rachel Ray.[/QUOTE

:lmao :lmao :lmao
PW watching R. Ray

ashbeeigh
07-11-2007, 08:14 PM

:tu I never use it. I refuse... even if it is in the dictionary.

Fatabulous is an amazing word. I must incorporate it in my vocabulary. Another one I use often is "chilax." I use it often with my students when they get really obnxious. The first time they heard it they were shocked, but now they use it too.

SpursWoman
07-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Another one I use often is "chilax."

My daughter says that all the time and it drives me nuts. That, and "Are you serial?!?"

:pctoss :lol

ashbeeigh
07-11-2007, 08:33 PM
My daughter says that all the time and it drives me nuts. That, and "Are you serial?!?"

:pctoss :lol

Serial? I will have to start using that with my 1st-5th grades. That's awesome. Too bad it's so late in the summer. :lol

Some of my co-workers hadn't even heard "chilax." Maybe it's a south Texas thing versus a North Texas thing.

johngateswhiteley
07-11-2007, 09:09 PM
both words are stupid....but whatever.

peewee's lovechild
07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
I got it from Rachel Ray.[/QUOTE

:lmao :lmao :lmao
PW watching R. Ray

Dude, she's hot and she cooks.

What better way to spend 30 minutes of your time.

I want to tap that.

CuckingFunt
07-11-2007, 09:59 PM
I don't know how I feel about the yearly addition of trendy, made-up terms to the dictionary.

On the one hand, I can see the value in documenting the words phrases that become a part of our daily language. But on the other hand, there is already a huge segment of the population that is completely ignorant of proper language and grammar (and it is largely a generational divide -- English just isn't taught the way it used to be) and I worry that legitimizing words like "crunk" and" "ginormous" just exacerbates that problem.

Spurminator
07-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Actually I'm hoping it causes a sort of reverse psychology that makes words like "crunk" disappear from everyday language. I mean how cool is a word, really, if it's in the dictionary? That's so hella lame.

ShoogarBear
07-11-2007, 10:40 PM
I don't know how I feel about the yearly addition of trendy, made-up terms to the dictionary.

On the one hand, I can see the value in documenting the words phrases that become a part of our daily language. But on the other hand, there is already a huge segment of the population that is completely ignorant of proper language and grammar (and it is largely a generational divide -- English just isn't taught the way it used to be) and I worry that legitimizing words like "crunk" and" "ginormous" just exacerbates that problem.Chilax.

leemajors
07-11-2007, 11:31 PM
both words are stupid....but whatever.
agreed. i'm throwing chilax in there too. i've never heard it, but i hate it. makes no doi sound not too bad.

boutons_
07-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Southern rap music, crunk, crap + junk ?

Pablo Escobar
07-12-2007, 12:03 AM
crunk is crazy drunk so why the fuck would the kiddies be using it

MrChug
07-13-2007, 09:31 AM
So did I, I'm surprised it's considered new.

How about "Fantabulous"?
I got it from Rachel Ray.

I'm submitting "splendiferous" for 2008 myself...

MrChug
07-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Southern rap music, crunk, crap + junk ?

:lol :lol :lol

Now THAT's the truth...

Soul_Patch
07-13-2007, 09:37 AM
how ridiculous.

BacktoBasics
07-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Fear of a Black Planet

peewee's lovechild
07-13-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm submitting "splendiferous" for 2008 myself...

splendiferous is a good word.

peewee's lovechild
Fear of a Black Planet

Is all that a word?
How would you use that?

CuckingFunt
Craptacular.

peewee's lovechild
07-13-2007, 10:16 AM
CF, I love you.

CuckingFunt
07-13-2007, 10:18 AM
CF, I love you.Aw, shucks. :oops

BacktoBasics
07-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Is all that a word?
How would you use that?This is how I use it.

All this jive monkey talk has me living in fear of a black planet.

peewee's lovechild
07-13-2007, 10:39 AM
This is how I use it.

All this jive monkey talk has me living in fear of a black planet.

I think the people of the Congo speak jive monkey talk.

bigzak25
07-13-2007, 10:46 AM
jive is actually a very complex language.

BacktoBasics
07-13-2007, 10:49 AM
I think the people of the Congo speak jive monkey talk.
Manny would know.

peewee's lovechild
07-13-2007, 10:55 AM
jive is actually a very complex language.

Aint no thang!!!!

bigzak25
07-13-2007, 11:26 AM
dude, all i know of it is the brothers on airplane and pootietang...

mrs. cleaver is the only white person i've ever know to have it down...

TheSanityAnnex
07-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Serial? I will have to start using that with my 1st-5th grades. That's awesome. Too bad it's so late in the summer. :lol

Great, now we have teachers teaching our young kids retarded words.

ShoogarBear
07-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Made-up words are stupid and the sign of an inferior intellect.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/KNO/7150P4%7EClassic-Children-s-Authors-Lewis-Carroll-Posters.jpg

peewee's lovechild
07-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Made-up words are stupid and the sign of an inferior intellect.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/KNO/7150P4%7EClassic-Children-s-Authors-Lewis-Carroll-Posters.jpg

That's fantabulous!!!

Soul_Patch
07-13-2007, 01:44 PM
I wanna know when Skeet is gonna get added to the dictionary.

hell we should just add anything that comes out of pop (rap) culture. Since that seems to be what america wants to embrace these days.