07-12-2007, 12:36 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_ime_udoka.jpg

Ime Udoka | SF
Born: Aug 9, 1977
Height: 6-5 / 1,96
Weight: 220 lbs. / 99,8 kg.
College : Portland State
Years Pro: 2

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ime_udoka/index.html)

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 12:37 AM
It appears the Blazers and Udoka are miles apart in reaching an agreement. According to league sources, Udoka's agent -- Erin Cowan -- has informed the Blazers that a Western Conference team has offered him a three-year, $12 million contract.

link (http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/118395333112390.xml&coll=7)

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 12:40 AM
The Spurs would never do something so rash...would they?

timvp
07-12-2007, 12:43 AM
This is one of the players who I think would fit well. As I posted earlier in the summer:

As far as unrestricted free agents, the two I like most for the Spurs are James Posey and Ime Udoka. Posey for a starting salary at around $3M would be nice. However, he probably gets more.

Udoka would be an absolutely perfect Bowen replacement ... except for the fact that he's 6-foot-5. Udoka can defend, rebound a little bit, decent pass, doesn't turn the ball over and is a +40% three point shooter. He's had the same type of career that Bowen had before joining the Spurs and he's the same age that Bowen was when the Spurs signed him.

Portland has said they want him back but after they drafted like 38 players, I'm not sure they have the room. If the Spurs could get him for a couple million, he'd be a pretty decent signing. His only drawback is his height, but if he were 6-foot-7 he'd cost two or three times as much.

Another thing about Udoka is he shoots most of his shots from the corner threes just like Bowen ... and Udoka hit those shots at a 42% clip this past season.

3-years, $12M wouldn't be too bad for him. Signing him would also be easier now that Ludden has badmouthed James White to the point that Spurs fans will accept letting him go.

El_Mago
07-12-2007, 12:48 AM
I don't accept James go.

Udoka has intrigued me the past couple of years.

I have claimed the Spurs should look into him if things fail with White or they trade off one of the other SF's.

Udoka can shoot the three, and leaves it on the floor. He can play defense, but is not extremely quick. He is not afraid to bang around and get physical. Appears to be a team player.

A cheaper version of Pietrus, Posey, Nocioni and every other pipe dream Spurs fans have around here.

(just extremely under the radar and nobody ever saw him play in Portland)

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-12-2007, 12:48 AM

They probably ran to the phone after watching the Williams/White debacle in the LV summer league.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 12:51 AM
3 years, $12 mil seems like a bit much for the Spurs to offer. If that is a Spurs' offer, perhaps there's a team option on year 3 or it's partially guaranteed.

timvp
07-12-2007, 12:54 AM
3 years, $12 mil seems like a bit much for the Spurs to offer. If that is a Spurs' offer, perhaps there's a team option on year 3 or it's partially guaranteed.Yeah, looking at it with the Holt Cat glasses on, only way the Spurs offer that is if they are able to unload both Barry and Butler for nothing. No way the Spurs pay $6M this year for Udoka to be the fifth wing.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 01:05 AM
Spurs' 2/3 rotation as of now:

Guaranteed contracts
Finley
Ginobili
Bowen
Barry

Unguaranteed/nonexistent
White
Williams

Assuming 2007-08 is Finley and Barry's final season, losing White wouldn't be that smart. The worst case should be that he starts the season on IR and with the Toros. But then that leaves Williams. Do the Spurs give up on a pick so soon? There is likely one spot on IR for a swingman development project. If it's White or Williams, I'd say White, but are the Spurs ready to admit a mistake or make another one to cover it up?

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Picking up a potential Bowen backup/replacement this summer would be very nice, but do the Spurs really face a significant luxury tax bill to do so?

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 01:21 AM
If they found a way to dump Barry and signed Udoka, then you'd have...

Finley
Ginobili
Bowen
Udoka
White

as your opening day 5 man 2/3 rotation and that would allow the Spurs to let Williams spend a season with the Toros on IR. The Spurs could extend Bowen this summer but they haven't. As it stands there is a lot of uncertainty regarding the Spurs' swingman spots past 2007-08 with Finley, Barry, and Bowen all set to become free agents. Assuming the Spurs want to continue to have their small forward be the primary perimeter defender and primarily a spot-up shooter, Udoka makes a lot of sense.

Solid D
07-12-2007, 01:26 AM
His defensive abilities are not a secret to GMs, I'm sure. He's in a small group of tough, physical defenders at SF that gave the Spurs some trouble. Ron Artest, Raja Bell, Ruben Patterson, Josh Howard and Ime Udoka.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 01:27 AM
That's a lot of jack for a guy who is undersized for the wing and already 30. I like the player, but don't see this as a good move.

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Nab him i say. If he 'said that he was offered $12 mil over 3 years" then it looks like a bit of a cat and mouse ploy, he would most likely settle for something in the $10 mil range over 3 years. That is probably market value for this sort of guy.

That would make him 1/7 of the player Rashard Lewis is.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 01:29 AM
His defensive abilities are not a secret to GMs, I'm sure. He's in a small group of tough, physical defenders at SF that gave the Spurs some trouble. Ron Artest, Raja Bell, Ruben Patterson, Josh Howard and Ime Udoka.

The Spurs could have some trouble of their own past next season with their 2s and 3s if they don't proactively move this summer. Hopefully the signs of a Butler salary dump, if true, are due to some foresight.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 01:30 AM
That's a lot of jack for a guy who is undersized for the wing and already 30. I like the player, but don't see this as a good move.

Yeah, but the Spurs are potentially looking at 3 spots to fill next summer. Bowen isn't the ideal small forward size but that's worked out pretty well.

mystargtr34
Sh*t hes 30

mystargtr34
Still young enough to be Bruce's kid

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Yeah, but the Spurs are potentially looking at 3 spots to fill next summer. Bowen isn't the ideal small forward size but that's worked out pretty well.

What do u mean, height or weight? Hes 6'7" but he has longer arms than most making him play bigger.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Nab him i say. If he 'said that he was offered $12 mil over 3 years" then it looks like a bit of a cat and mouse ploy, he would most likely settle for something in the $10 mil range over 3 years. That is probably market value for this sort of guy.

That would make him 1/7 of the player Rashard Lewis is.

Portland can't carry 20 players next season. They just landed James Jones.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 01:35 AM
What do u mean, height or weight? Hes 6'7" but he has longer arms than most making him play bigger.

Height and weight.

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 01:44 AM
He is a little on the lean side. I dont think the 'ideal' forward is a long 6'9" type that most seem to have in mind. 6'9" is getting up there, it gets harder and harder to move laterally and you start losing mobility at that height. I still say the perfect height for a SF would be a 6'7" guy with long arms, possibly 6'8".

The only reason is if a team goes with three guards and 2 bigs for example, i cant see a 6'9" guy chasing after a small guard yet he wont have much of a chance guarding a post player... its hard to get both.

Although Artest is one who is perfect.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 01:51 AM
Although Artest is one who is perfect.

Save for the sanity issue.

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 01:53 AM
lol yeh i didnt mean for the Spurs, i ment as a defender. Quick enough to stay with most smaller two guards and big enough to guard anyone up to 6'10.

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 01:54 AM
So yeh, i guess i am meaning for the Spurs :)

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 02:00 AM
Sure, Artest would otherwise be ideal.

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 02:08 AM
Seriously though, i was kind of excited about the possibility of getting a trade exception from either Cle or Sea but i just dont see the value of doing that with this years FA class. It would be perfect for next years FA crop but i think the TE would have expired by then yeh???

Looking through that list again though there isnt really anyone there form the 08 FA class who is an 'ideal' replacement for Bruce anyway. Without a TE i cant see us making much of a splash in next years FA class either way because Holt wont pay LT and we will only have about 10 mil to fill 6-8 roster spots from now on.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 02:09 AM
Seriously though, i was kind of excited about the possibility of getting a trade exception from either Cle or Sea but i just dont see the value of doing that with this years FA class. It would be perfect for next years FA crop but i think the TE would have expired by then yeh???

I believe such an exception lasts for a year.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 02:33 AM
There was no news regarding the Blazers' two free agents. The Blazers would like to re-sign forwards Travis Outlaw and Ime Udoka, but Udoka and the team remain apart in terms of dollars. Udoka's agent, Erin Cowan, has said he has received interest from other teams.

link (http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1184210708215720.xml&coll=7)

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 02:38 AM
According to Udoka's agent, there are six other teams interested in him, teams that are not located in his home town, but teams that do see his value. A couple of these teams might be in the Western Conference, or the Northwest Division, even. That means Udoka would face the Blazers regularly.

I guess then we'll see if he returns the favor and slaps the Blazers back.

link (http://media.www.dailyvanguard.com/media/storage/paper941/news/2007/07/11/Sports/Raising.Hell.From.The.Desk.Of.Nathan.Hellman-2922660-page2.shtml)

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 02:57 AM
Ime Udoka (pronounced EE-may you-DOE-kuh[1]) (born August 9, 1977 in Portland, Oregon) is an American professional basketball player of Nigerian descent.

Udoka, a small forward, attended Portland's Jefferson High School and Portland State University where he starred for the Vikings. He started his professional basketball career by playing in the NBDL with the Charleston Lowgators. He was called up to play with the Los Angeles Lakers on January 14, 2004, but was later waived and joined another D-League team, the Fort Worth Flyers. On April 6, 2006, Udoka was signed by the New York Knicks. Udoka was waived by the Knicks on September 11, 2006.

Udoka was the last player invited to his hometown Portland Trail Blazers training camp before the 2006-2007 season, getting the invite only after Aaron Miles failed a physical. Despite the death of his father during the preseason,[1] Udoka impressed the coaching staff with his defense and professionalism, and improbably, made the team.[2] After having played in only 12 NBA games in his career, as of April 9, 2007 Ime had started in 74 games played so far in the 2006-07 season. He plays 28.5 minutes per game while averaging 8.4 points, 3.7 rebounds, and 0.9 steals.

Though American-born, Udoka's father was born in Nigeria,[1] which qualified him as a member of the Nigerian basketball squad, for whom he played at the 2006 FIBA World Championships. His older sister Mfon used to play in the WNBA.

link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ime_Udoka)

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 03:00 AM
Former Viking Ime Udoka Makes His Way In The NBA

The perseverance of Ime Udoka should not be lost on any individual who has attended Portland State University. Long an institution for those seeking a “second chance” at their education and career development, Portland State has turned out many who have followed a challenging path like Udoka’s, though few have reached their goal with such heart-warming and heart-breaking results as the former Viking basketball player.

In 1998, Udoka (pronounced EE-may you-DOE-kuh) came to Portland State seeking the opportunity he had always wanted – to advance his basketball game and his education. A native of Portland and graduate of Jefferson High School, he had only just begun a long and winding road that would finally end in the National Basketball Association and in his own back yard.

http://www.goviks.com/uploads/images/Udoka-Blazers.jpg

http://www.goviks.com/uploads/images/a-udoka1.jpg

After a high school career at Jefferson where Udoka was an All-Conference player and competed in a state championship game, he went to the College of Eastern Utah where his team won a conference championship and he was again an all-star. Udoka then moved to the University of San Francisco – a four-year school – and what he hoped to be more successes.

But, after an unsatisfying season at USF, the 6-5 forward decided to come back home and got an opportunity to play at Portland State. He spent two years on the Park Blocks – one as a redshirt, and one as a player. And play he did, packing a career full of highlights into that season. Udoka led the Vikings in scoring, rebounding, steals and blocked shots, was named first team All-Big Sky Conference and the league Newcomer of the Year. He dropped 29 points and grabbed eight rebounds against the University of Oregon in his best game of the year. The only downer was a knee injury that forced him to miss the last five games and the Big Sky Conference Tournament. It also put a damper on Udoka’s basketball future.

“All of my people around me and myself believed I had a chance to make it (in the NBA),” Udoka said before a recent Trail Blazers’ game. “It was always my goal. Some scouts were coming to watch me play as a senior, and without scoring a lot of points. I had a good all-around game and I got some notice.”

Ime rushed back from the injury to spend a brief time in the Blazers’ fall camp in 2000, but his knee wasn’t ready yet. He recuperated and finally caught on with a minor league team in North Dakota only to reinjure the knee again. This time, it took almost two years of rehab before he could make a comeback. In the meantime, Udoka worked for an overnight shipping company.

Amazingly, Udoka’s basketball journey was still in its early stages. He came back and made it in the NBA’s newly- formed Development League in 2002. Then, he played professionally in both Spain and France. Udoka finally reached the NBA – briefly – in 2003-04, playing on a 10- day contract with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Though he played in only four games for the Lakers, Udoka had the distinction of being just the second Portland State basketball player to appear in an NBA regular season game (Freeman Williams played in the league from 1979 to 1986).

And still, Udoka’s basketball career was only beginning its upswing. While starring on the court in 2005-06, Udoka earned the Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award in the NBA D-League. The award was “for the player who best represents the ideals of character and conduct on the court.” Udoka finished last season back in the big time, playing in eight games for the New York Knicks. Then, he had the opportunity to compete for the Nigerian National Team (his father, Vitalis’, birth country) in last summer’s World Basketball Championships.

Udoka’s 2006-07 status was in question until he received an invitation to take part in training camp with his hometown Portland Trail Blazers as a free-agent (read: no contract, no guarantees).

“I had a chance at Golden State, and I worked out at Dallas. Golden State brought me down twice before the season. But the Blazers contacted me at the last minute. I knew they were only bringing in 15 (players), and I had familiarity with the coaches. It seemed like a better opportunity,” he said.

While the opportunity was exciting for Udoka, he and everyone involved knew making the team was still a long shot. Then, tragically, Ime’s father, Vitalis, died suddenly on Oct. 17 – the day Ime was to make his first preseason start for the Blazers.

What was to be one of the great moments in his life was erased by matters far more important. The challenge of making an NBA roster now seemed inconsequential.

Despite the shock of his father’s sudden passing, Udoka soldiered on. He played in a preseason game just a few days later and showed the spark Blazers’ Coach Nate McMillan was looking for. The solid play continued throughout the preseason to the point that his teammates were lobbying the coaches and front office to keep Udoka on the team as a member of the regular season roster.

Keep him?

Heck, yes! Not only that, but Coach McMillan kept Udoka in the starting lineup. As the NBA season goes into the All-Star Break this weekend, Udoka has anchored the small forward position, playing good defense, team- oriented, intelligent basketball, making few mistakes, and hitting enough shots to be respected by the opposition. Defensively, the under-sized Udoka proved there is no measure for heart, guarding players like Utah’s Andrei Kirilenko one night, the Los Angeles Lakers’ Lamar Odom the next, Miami’s Dwayne Wade and Denver’s Carmelo Anthony.

In fact, Udoka is the only Blazer to start every game in the 2006-07 season. He is averaging 8.8 points, 3.8 rebounds and leads the team in three-point shooting percentage (.391 on 61 made).

“I was confident I would make the team,” Udoka says now. “But playing such a significant role was a long shot. Some injuries opened up an opportunity for me.”

Now, playing in an arena just a few miles from where he grew up, attended high school, and completed his college career, Udoka is one of the 400-or-so best basketball players in the world. It also meant the lucrative reward of an NBA contract.

Udoka’s story became one of the top sports stories of the year in Portland, and brought a tear to more than a few eyes around the Rose City.

Proving the worth of his NBA D-League Sportsmanship Award, one of Udoka’s first acts as a member of the Trail Blazers, was to give back to the school that gave him an early opportunity – Portland State. In a gesture of quick and generous acknowledgement to the school, Udoka created a scholarship endowment at PSU in honor of his deceased father. Udoka will provide an annual scholarship to both a Portland State Business student and basketball player. He made presentations at a Trail Blazer game and a Viking game during January.

“His point of coming to America was for college,” says Udoka. “He got a degree in Business Administration at Portland State, met my mother here, got married and raised his family.”

Ime was in the crowd to cheer his Vikings to an early- season victory over the University of Portland last November and he has been back at the Stott Center when his NBA schedule has allowed since then. Down-to-earth, humble, and soft-spoken, Udoka smiled and shook hundreds of hands that night at the Stott Center, knowing that his basketball travels around the country and around the world, through trials and tribulations, had brought him right back home.

By Mike Lund
Portland State Athletics Media Relations
a portion of this story is printed in the Winter issue of PSU Magazine

link (http://www.goviks.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=2665)

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 03:05 AM
Hmmm...his game would fit the Spurs. His profile definitely seems in line with what the Spurs want in a player.

dg7md
07-12-2007, 04:36 AM
It'll be the Nuggets that offered him that deal.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:58 AM
It'll be the Nuggets that offered him that deal.

Source?

MoSpur
07-12-2007, 12:22 PM
A little small, but could work. I would like the Spurs to try to trade Barry to Golden State.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:27 PM
With Johnson off the market, the Spurs could turn their attention to Portland free-agent swingman Ime Udoka. Udoka, who turns 30 in August, averaged 8.4 points and 3.7 rebounds while starting 75 games for Trail Blazers.

Udoka is a rugged defender and a dependable 3-point shooter, skills he shares in common with Bruce Bowen, the player he would most likely back up.

link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071307.01D.BKNspurs.trade.35d9aa1.html)

timvp
07-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Udoka is a perfect player to eventually replace Bowen. We'll see if the Spurs actually go after him or if it's just lip service.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 11:37 PM
An Ime Udoka sitting on an Ime Udoka's shoulders would equal the long three the Spurs have claimed to want.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
An Ime Udoka sitting on an Ime Udoka's shoulders would equal the long three the Spurs have claimed to want.

They said they wanted a 4 who could play like a 3 and vice versa. They still could use a defensive stalwart to cover swingmen once Bowen leaves.

ducks
07-12-2007, 11:43 PM
he would be ok tell victor could take over

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:45 PM
There's a lot more uncertainty surrounding the Spurs' 2/3 rotation next summer than Spurs fans seem to recognize. Right now the only player in that rotation past 2008 is Ginobili.

Solid D
07-12-2007, 11:50 PM
As we speak, Pop is prepariing a wall-mounted Nigerian translation of Jacob Riis' "Pounding the Rock". :smokin or maybe it's "The Stonecutter" but I'm sure Udoka can pound the rock. :lol

milkyway21
07-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Hmmm...his game would fit the Spurs. His profile definitely seems in line with what the Spurs want in a player.
i hope it's not about that Sportsmanship Award that he got.:lol

well, I like his resume'

but I how about his injury?

Ime rushed back from the injury to spend a brief time in the Blazers’ fall camp in 2000, but his knee wasn’t ready yet. He recuperated and finally caught on with a minor league team in North Dakota only to reinjure the knee again. This time, it took almost two years of rehab before he could make a comeback.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 01:15 AM
As we speak, Pop is prepariing a wall-mounted Nigerian translation of Jacob Riis' "Pounding the Rock". :smokin or maybe it's "The Stonecutter" but I'm sure Udoka can pound the rock. :lol

Hope so.

justanotherspursfan
07-13-2007, 01:17 AM
Hope so.
No kidding. That's about the only decent silver lining for tonight's clusterfuck that I can imagine mustering.

Spurs16212
07-13-2007, 11:33 AM
According to Yahoo Sports, the Spurs are turning their attention to Ime Udoka who played for the Trailblazers last year averaging 8.4 points a game and shooting 40% from three. Solid defender....

Amir Johnson re-signed with the Detroit Pistons

What are your thoughts on this possibility?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 11:36 AM
:tu

Tippecanoe
07-13-2007, 11:42 AM
the scola/butler theft opened a roster spot, and with james white most likely gone, this is very possible. but it also means paying the luxury tax, which holt is too cheap to do

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 11:45 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73697

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 11:46 AM
but I how about his injury?

I think he's past that.

Darkwaters
07-13-2007, 11:46 AM
All we have to do is trade Barry to a team under the cap and our lux caps problems are solved. Just call Milwaukee.

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-13-2007, 11:48 AM

you see what they gave Bonner and Vaughn?

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 11:51 AM
I can live with them giving such a contract to a player who's a good prospect to replace Bowen as the team's primary perimeter defender and is a solid 3 point shooter.

The Spurs' defense, nay, their championship success is predicated on such a player. I could perhaps live with them thinning out some of their frontcourt prospects if they turn those savings into finding a player to take the reigns from Bowen.

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Would Outlaw be a better pickup?

T Park
07-13-2007, 12:09 PM
you see what they gave Bonner and Vaughn?

they gave vaughn the minimum.

YOU CANT PAY ANYONE LESS THAN THAT!!!!!!!

Big P
07-13-2007, 12:10 PM

He would be, but the Blazers prefer Outlaw over Udoka, so I doubt we get him.

Money being equal, I would rather the Spurs go after Pietrus than Udoka.
Even if we had to give Pietrus an extra year, I would rather have him.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Pietrus could blow up or he could flounder in the uninspiring hell of untapped talent for $30 mil. Meanwhile the Spurs could pick up a guy well suited for their system at less than half of the price.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 12:13 PM

Easily, but he's not in our range.

Spurs16212
07-13-2007, 12:14 PM
If Milwaukee doesn't sign Mo Williams first......

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 12:14 PM
How much do you think Outlaw would want or get? I haven't read anything that says Outlaw will demand a lot or how much the Blazers are willing to give him.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Outlaw's too raw. With Udoka you know what you are getting and the Spurs need some kind of plan before Bowen leaves or their potential for championship success will face a marked decline.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 12:15 PM
How much do you think Outlaw would want or get? I haven't read anything that says Outlaw will demand a lot or how much the Blazers are willing to give him.

Per his agent a WC team offered him 3 years, $12 mil.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 12:18 PM
I'd want Outlaw more. He doesn't have the smarts of Udoka, but has real talent and fills a need far better.

But for the same amount of money, the Spurs would probably take Udoka.

But I don't think we'll have either.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 12:19 PM
I'd want Outlaw more. He doesn't have the smarts of Udoka, but has real talent and fills a need far better.

But for the same amount of money, the Spurs would probably take Udoka.

But I don't think we'll have either.

Which will make yesterday's trade all the more galling.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Which will make yesterday's trade all the more galling.

I don't know if I've ever been this demoralized as a Spurs fan.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 12:22 PM
It would be pretty ideal that the Spurs pick up Udoka and have him learn with the master. Too ideal for them to actually do it. They've likely eliminated their lux tax exposure. Time to pour the Dom.

Big P
07-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Per his agent a WC team offered him 3 years, $12 mil.

A WC team offered that to Outlaw or Udoka? I thought it was Udoka who got offered that.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Udoka.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 12:34 PM
I don't know if I've ever been this demoralized as a Spurs fan.

Nah, that's 1976-98, 2000-02, 2004, and 2006.

Spurs16212
07-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Maybe a sign and trade with Brent Barry to Portland for Ime Udoka would avoid salary cap implications

Portland would be getting an expiring contract

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Nah, that's 1976-98, 2000-02, 2004, and 2006.

The Lakers years were crushing and the worst time I've ever had as a sports fan, but they were clearly the better team. This is demoralizing - different term - because it's such an awful basketball trade and shows the team uninterested in improving. It shows a front office egotistical, fat with success, and arrogant... and cheap. It means all the 'effort' I've put in, with others, about the draft and interest in Scola, was for naught, because almost universally the Spurs have screwed it up with bad decisions or crassly greedy reasons.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Maybe a sign and trade with Brent Barry to Portland for Ime Udoka would avoid salary cap implications

I think Portland will begin shedding contracts at some point. Not sure they want another one.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 12:40 PM

I don't see why Portland would want Barry. Better to let Udoka walk away than take on $5.5M for no reason.

Spurs16212
07-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Just a thought.... Good shooter, veteran leadership, championship experience, complementary player to Greg Oden (spot shooter)

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Not a bad thought, but there's not much room there. Portland actually offered Barry more the summer he signed with the Spurs.

SenorSpur
07-13-2007, 12:44 PM
A few questions concerning both Udoka and our boy J. White.

Is Udoka a better player than White right now?
What does one do better than the other?
Also, who has the better upside?

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 12:46 PM
A few questions concerning both Udoka and our boy J. White.

Is Udoka a better player than White right now?
What does one do better than the other?
Also, who has the better upside?

Udoka is far better. White is taller and more athletic, but Udoka is smarter and more effective on the basketball court. He'll also make about 7 times more next season.

Marcus Bryant
The Lakers years were crushing and the worst time I've ever had as a sports fan, but they were clearly the better team. This is demoralizing - different term - because it's such an awful basketball trade and shows the team uninterested in improving. It shows a front office egotistical, fat with success, and arrogant... and cheap. It means all the 'effort' I've put in, with others, about the draft and interest in Scola, was for naught, because almost universally the Spurs have screwed it up with bad decisions or crassly greedy reasons.

This deal sucks hard. What remains to be seen is if it essentially was thinning out their frontcourt to devote those resources to their swing spots. Ginobili's the only swingman under contract past next season. If they turn the payroll savings and cash from this deal into talent at the 2/3 then at least it makes some kind of sense.

Spurs16212
Just maybe we can get another second rounder if they were able to pull off this deal..... Portland has the cap room after paying off Steve Francis....

Sign Udoka for about four million per year for three years.... still gives the team about 1.5 million plus the mid-level excemption for another player.

timvp
07-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Would the Spurs really sign Udoka as a free agent and then go back to the same luxury tax issues they were at before The Trade. Doubt it.

As mentioned, the Spurs perhaps can do something like Barry and two second round picks for a sign-and-traded Udoka.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Would the Spurs really sign Udoka as a free agent and then go back to the same luxury tax issues they were at before The Trade. Doubt it.

Seems doubtful. One thought on Johnson is that the Spurs signing him to an offer sheet eventually matched by the Pistons would have at least given them some justification for the deal, as in 'we thought Johnson was the better prospect' but unfortunately lost out. Obviously the Spurs weren't offering much more than the Pistons. Now the trade is a bald financial move. Unfortunately San Antonio de Bexar won't see what is going on.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 01:40 PM

As mentioned, the Spurs perhaps can do something like Barry and two second round picks for a sign-and-traded Udoka.

AGAIN that would help another team, since Portland doesn't need Udoka. The question is whether they need Barry at all.

This would be the Spurs overpaying (in 2nd rounders) for a deal, but it's more equitable than what just happened.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Portland might go for something like that, if they have the room.

timvp
07-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Seems doubtful. One thought on Johnson is that the Spurs signing him to an offer sheet eventually matched by the Pistons would have at least given them some justification for the deal, as in 'we thought Johnson was the better prospect' but unfortunately lost out. Obviously the Spurs weren't offering much more than the Pistons. Now the trade is a bald financial move. Unfortunately San Antonio de Bexar won't see what is going on.

Yeah, it could be how the Express-News last year was harping on the notion that the Spurs were in the running for Zo. Then it came out that the Spurs were offering the veteran's minimum :rollin

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah, maybe they offered $11,000,000.01 to Johnson.

SenorSpur
07-13-2007, 04:16 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_ime_udoka.jpg

Ime Udoka | SF
Born: Aug 9, 1977
Height: 6-5 / 1,96
Weight: 220 lbs. / 99,8 kg.
College : Portland State
Years Pro: 2

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ime_udoka/index.html)

For those who are familiar with this guy, what kind of a defender is he? Does his game resemble anyone in particular?

timvp
07-13-2007, 04:20 PM
For those who are familiar with this guy, what kind of a defender is he? Does his game resemble anyone in particular?
Weirdly enough, his game most resembles Bruce Bowen. Good, physical defender who does his damage offensively from the corners.

Put Bowen's game into Raja Bell's body and you have Udoka. However, Bowen is a legendary defender. Udoka is more of a "good" to "very good" defender.

coopdogg3
07-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Weirdly enough, his game most resembles Bruce Bowen. Good, physical defender who does his damage offensively from the corners.

Put Bowen's game into Raja Bell's body and you have Udoka. However, Bowen is a legendary defender. Udoka is more of a "good" to "very good" defender.

Could Udoka be Finley's replacement then, as opposed to Bowen's?? If he hits 3's (granted with Chip he'll have to learn to hit 3's besides from the corner), learns the system for a year, Barry and Finley are gone next year (if Barry isn't traded this off-season), and this allows Manu to keep coming off the bench (where he does the most damage.)

So maybe Udoka is gonna replace Barry and Finley next year, while the Spurs still search for a 3.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2007, 05:10 PM
six foot five, huh?

lol........hooray.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Wasn't Ime Udoka another Isiah Thomas find? Did he play for their summer league last year?

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Could Udoka be Finley's replacement then, as opposed to Bowen's?? If he hits 3's (granted with Chip he'll have to learn to hit 3's besides from the corner), learns the system for a year, Barry and Finley are gone next year (if Barry isn't traded this off-season), and this allows Manu to keep coming off the bench (where he does the most damage.)

So maybe Udoka is gonna replace Barry and Finley next year, while the Spurs still search for a 3.

Maybe Udoka ends up at the 2, but the key is that he gives the Spurs someone to eventually replace Bowen as the team's best perimeter defender.

SenorSpur
07-13-2007, 05:19 PM
I wonder if Pop is still on his endless search for the Derrick McKey-type player :-)

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2007, 05:25 PM
A six foot five defensive guard. :elephant