PDA

View Full Version : Romain Sato, what happen to him?

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 03:31 AM
What ever happen to Romain Sato?

TRANSACTIONS
07/15/04: San Antonio signed Romain Sato to a 3 year, minimum salary contract. The first year is only partially guaranteed while the rest of the contract is non-guaranteed.

06/24/04: San Antonio: Drafted Beno Udrih #28, Romain Sato #52, Sergei Karaulou #57.

The Spurs traded a future 2nd round pick and cash to the Hawks for the rights to Viktor Sanikidze #42.

(from this bio, sounds like Barbosa but with Defense)

NBA Comparison: Mitch Richmond

Strengths: Freakish athleticism. Combines broad shoulders and amazing strength with jaw dropping leaping ability. Has a great 3 point stroke. Leadership skills, and winning attitude with excellent willingness to improve and be coached. Has a pretty amazing body-extremely well built but flexible. Super defensively and a strong rebounder. Sato rebounds like a power forward-he goes after everything. He still needs to get better as a creator, but already possesses NBA 3 pt range, and looks great doing it. Has a great attitude as well. Romain is one of the rare guards who impact a game 3 dimensionally-meaning offense, defense, and rebounding. His 6’5 frame features a 7’ wingspan, huge and defined upper body muscles, and strong legs that enable him to jump 38+” vertically. As a 2 guard, he is a beast.

OFFENSE: Romain’s best offensive skill is his stationary 3 point shooting. He has terrific range and consistency, and can easily shoot the NBA 3. Watching him shoot 3’s in a drill is like watching a robot-it’s the same shot every time. Quick release, high arc, good follow thru. His shooting ability alone, combined with his size, make him an NBA player. But he has a better knack for scoring than most great shooters, using his great body very effectively in the post and off dribble penetrations to the lane for a pull up jumper. He excels in transition and is a killer on the offensive glass. He goes to the boards like a power forward, and he goes EVERY TIME. Look for him to put all these talents into good use this year, and score 35+ points on a few occasions. He is a solid ball handler, but rarely uses a dribble move to create space, relying instead on his quickness and size to get shots. He has improved his passing a great deal as well, and is used to feeding the post after playing 3 years with David West. A first team A-10 selection last season.

DEFENSE: Romain is a lock down defensive stopper-you put him on the other teams best scoring guard, and expect that guard to have a poor shooting performance. He is quick and rangy with great strength, and can jump quickly as well. Simply put, he is a nightmare to try and score against. His rebounding mentality is second to none, so no matter which opponent attempts a shot, he is there to rebound and start the break. A 2 time All-League defensive selection.

Weaknesses: Understanding of the game and passing, ball handling all must continue to improve. Appears undersized at a shade under 6-5, however with his wingspan he is like a 6-7 player. He needs to learn to make more plays off a dribble move. He is capable of it, but is more comfortable using other methods. As his knowledge improves, so will his ability to anticipate things offensively, making him a more effective slasher and passer. If he can get to the free throw line a good deal this season, it means he has improved in that area, and he will enjoy a monster year. Defensively, he is better at structured defenses than ones looking to create some chaos. Again, improved basketball IQ will help his cause in pressure style defenses where quick reads and a good feel are vital.

Projection: Will be one of the top 2 or 3 shooting guards in the 2004 NBA draft. His combination of shooting, rebounding, athleticism, and defensive ability as a 2 guard is very rare.

http://www.ecrater.com/27171/466efd0fa9e10_27171n.jpg

Bruno
07-12-2007, 03:34 AM
Sato has won the italian championship this year with Sienna. He has had a very good season with them (something like 13 pts and 6rbds).

Buddy Holly
07-12-2007, 03:37 AM
He won 1 million on Deal or No Deal. Retired in Upstate New York to raise sheep and turtles.

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 03:40 AM
Sato has won the italian championship this year with Sienna. He has had a very good season with them (something like 13 pts and 6rbds).

oh shit , he did

he was mvp?

he played with forte and baxter in that team cool.

http://195.56.77.208/team/?teamid=1123

he might be ready for the NBA now.

cant be worse than Beno?

http://195.56.77.208/player/?id=SAT-ROM-81&year=2006&team=1123

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 03:43 AM
Word by this article is that he was

WAVIED TO MAKE ROOM FOR NAZR MOHAMMED.

Sato may fill Suns' need

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 5, 2006 12:00 AM

Romain Sato's American journey began with a mother's dream for him to get a college degree.

It continues in Phoenix this week with his unfulfilled dream to play in a NBA game.

Warriors don't give up. That is the requisite mind-set back home in the Central African Republic. He left there for Dayton, Ohio, seven years ago as an exchange student with no grasp of English and a shaky hold on the game of basketball.

He never stopped working, becoming a four-year starter and graduate at Xavier (Ohio) University. He was a second-round pick of San Antonio in 2004 but stayed on the injured list, for lack of an inactive list then. After a season in Italy and a month of play in Spain, he has found himself in the ideal spot to prove his NBA worth again.

The Suns, after not making a draft pick last week, have at least three roster slots to fill and need depth on the wings. Sato, 25, is a 6-foot-5 shooting guard with a 7-foot wingspan and nothing but kind words out of San Antonio, where he was waived to make room for Nazr Mohammed in February 2005.

"It's exciting," said Sato, whose Xavier 2004 Elite Eight backcourt mate Lionel Chalmers also will be in the Suns camp. "God's always got my plan. I feel good about it. With nobody drafted, I've got a chance. I'll come in and work hard, do whatever the coaches want and hopefully make it."

Showing a consistent ability to hit shots in the two-a-day rookie/free-agent camp today and Thursday and in five Vegas Summer League games would go a long way toward earning his first NBA minute.

He was the go-to scorer this season for Sicc Jesi, an Italian League second division team. He averaged 25.6 points and 7.5 rebounds in the regular season and 35.0 points and 14.6 rebounds in the playoffs. That is from a guy who never led Xavier in scoring because he was so defense- and rebound-oriented.

Between the time he spent learning from Spurs guards Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Brent Barry and Bruce Bowen and his season in Italy, Sato feels more prepared for this NBA chance than in last year's Chicago camp invitation.

"As long as you're playing against better guys, you're getting better," Sato said of his Spurs season. "So when I went to Italy, I wanted to work hard and show people that I was better in all parts of the game. I do all the little things. I put it all together so I feel good about it. But I've still got a lot to learn."

Sato, fluent in six languages, sounds like a teacher's pet. He thanked Thad Matta, then a Xavier assistant, for every rebound on his first day of practicing jumpers there. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called him "a sponge, in that he just wants to learn everything he can." He already figured out an NBA job is here for the taking.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0705suns07050.html

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 03:48 AM
If He really did develop in Italy, he seems like a Bowen type player,

Defense and 3 Point shooting.

timvp
07-12-2007, 03:50 AM
All you need to know is that Sato got waived by the Suns summer league team :lol

Bruno
07-12-2007, 03:55 AM
He is playing well in Italy but if a 6'4" athletic SF can work in europe, it can't in nba.

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 03:57 AM
All you need to know is that Sato got waived by the Suns summer league team :lol

yea but it was to sign in Italy and then he won championship and excelled. He knew he would get more PT in Italy than Suns.

he is a Guard, PG/SF i think.

Surely, Atlanta, Memphis, Lakers can use him as backup.

it was a number issue with Spurs , too many contracts at the time

I think new kid Williams from Arizona will face the same deal as Sato. Not enough room.

wildbill2u
07-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I understand that he is a part-time flying instructor of the new Alpine sport of gliderless flight using his freakish 7' wingspan to great advantage.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Romain Sato, what happen to him?

whottt became a fan.