PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Franchise going to the Mavericks??

big3bigD
07-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Probably not the best move for Dallas, but apparantly there is some mutual interest....

Mavs considering 'edgy' point guard
By JEFF CAPLAN
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Steve Francis, a scoring point guard, is looking for yet another place to call home in the NBA.

LAS VEGAS -- Something of a mutual attraction has cropped up between the Mavericks and freshly minted unrestricted free agent Steve Francis.

The Mavs were one of "numerous" teams to speak with Francis' agent, Jeff Fried, soon after Portland officially bought out the remainder of Francis' contract after the league's "moratorium period" ended Tuesday night.

Fried said Francis, who played the first five years of his career with the Houston Rockets, considers the Mavs a strong fit. Indications are that team fit will outweigh salary considerations since the edgy eight-year veteran and former All-Star reportedly collected $30 million in the buyout, which also made him an unrestricted free agent.

Francis (6-foot-3, 210 pounds) had $34 million remaining on the last two years of his deal when New York traded him to the Trail Blazers on draft night.

Fried said conversations with the Mavs have not reached the level of salary negotiation. The Mavs have a mid-level exception, valued at $5.356 million, to spend. They can use the full amount on one player, split it up, or not use it all.

"Obviously, we're always looking to add good players," said Donnie Nelson, the Mavs' president of basketball operations. "Right now we're in discussions with a lot of different guys."

The Mavs had interest in sought-after swingman Gerald Wallace, but he reached an agreement Wednesday to remain with Charlotte.

Another player of some interest could be veteran forward Chris Webber, 34, a low-post presence whom the Mavs were interested in last season before he chose to sign with his hometown Detroit Pistons, his fifth team in 14 seasons.

"Those guys have a lot of options," said Mavs coach Avery Johnson, who is in Las Vegas watching Dallas' summer league team. "We'll see which team they choose."

With the dysfunctional Knicks, the pairing of Francis and Stephon Marbury -- two similar players -- never clicked. Adding to Francis' frustration were injuries that limited him to 44 games last season.

He averaged a career-low 11.3 points, 3.9 assists and 3.6 rebounds -- well below his career numbers of 18.4 points, 6.1 assists and 5.6 rebounds.

"He's pretty edgy," Johnson said. "He's been pretty good when he's been healthy and, obviously, he hasn't had the best situations over the last couple of years. Who knows what's going to happen there."

Johnson reiterated Wednesday his desire to give Devin Harris a more prominent role at point guard. Jason Terry has started there the past three seasons, with Harris coming off the bench or playing the two-guard.

The combo helped the Mavs reach the NBA Finals in 2006, but after last season's first-round playoff bust, Johnson made improving ball movement a priority.

Francis, known more as a scoring point guard, might be underrated as a passer, having averaged between 6.2 and 7.0 assists in his first six seasons. He's also been excellent at drawing fouls and getting to the free-throw line.

Attitude issues finally wore thin in Houston, which traded "Stevie Franchise" to Orlando in a seven-player deal that sent Tracy McGrady to the Rockets, a sign of how highly valued Francis was only three years ago.

"He rebounds and he can score," Nelson said. "There are a lot of positives."

The Mavs have the maximum 15 players on the roster, but four are not guaranteed spots -- second-round draft picks Nick Fazekas and Reyshawn Terry, plus second-year players J.J. Barea and Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

Nelson said he won't give up "valuable, young assets" to create roster space unless it's an upgrade.

The Clippers and Miami Heat, who have shown interest in point guards Mo Williams and Steve Blake, reportedly are front-runners with the Mavs for Francis.

Details, details

Don't worry that Jerry Stackhouse and Devean George didn't sign contracts on Wednesday, Donnie Nelson said. "Paperwork and rhetoric," he said kept the deals from becoming official, but both likely will be finalized today

big3bigD
07-12-2007, 10:31 AM
LINK: http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/166660.html

duncan228
07-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Clippers look interested.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/pros/clippers/article_1762141.php

Clippers' top choice: Francis
The team wants an upgrade at point guard, and the veteran's contract was bought out by the Trail Blazers.
By ART THOMPSON III
The Orange County Register

The Clippers' first step in pursuing Steve Francis was taken Wednesday when the Portland Trail Blazers requested waivers on the veteran point guard and reached an agreement on a buyout of his contract.

Terms of the buyout were not disclosed, but Francis had a guaranteed $34,250,000 owed to him for the remaining two years.

Teams can negotiate with Francis but, as per the NBA's offseason rules, he will not clear waivers until July 19, at which point he can be signed by another team.

The Clippers have a payroll of $61.5 million, which puts them over the salary cap of $55.630 million for the 2007-2008 season. However, the Clippers have their mid-level exception of $5.25 million to offer, and it is thought that it would take that entire amount to sign Francis.

Francis, 30, is a three-time All-Star, but he averaged career lows in points (11.3) and assists (3.9), while playing in a career-low 44 games last season.

When Portland acquired him last month in a draft-night trade with the New York Knicks, it was made clear that Francis did not fit into the plans of the Trail Blazers, who are attempting to make over their team with youth and good character players.

Portland took center Greg Oden with the first overall pick in this year's draft to add to a young nucleus that includes third-year players Jarrett Jack and Martell Webster, and second-year player Brandon Roy, who was last season's rookie of the year.

Francis was selected by the Vancouver Grizzlies in 1999, with the second-overall pick in the draft. But he balked at being drafted by the Grizzlies and was traded three months later to the Houston Rockets. He was co-rookie of the year that season with Chicago's Elton Brand.

Francis played five seasons with Houston before being traded in 2004 to the Orlando Magic. Orlando traded him to the Knicks in February 2006. Francis' best friend is Clippers shooting guard Cuttino Mobley. The two played together for five years in Houston and were packaged together in the trade to Orlando.

Before leaving last Sunday for the Las Vegas Summer League, Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said offers had been made to four free agent point guards that the Clippers had targeted. However, it is acknowledged by several members of the basketball staff that Francis is the top choice.

Until the Clippers secure their point guard situation, the business with finalizing forward Yaroslav Korolev's contract remains on hold. The two sides tentatively have agreed to a one-year guaranteed deal of $800,000, with a club option for the second year.

Findog
07-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm guessing he ends up in LA. The bond that he and Cuttino share is special.

monosylab1k
07-12-2007, 11:28 AM
I'd rather have AIDS

monosylab1k
07-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Johnson reiterated Wednesday his desire to give Devin Harris a more prominent role at point guard.
that's the only encouraging thing in that entire article.

big3bigD
07-12-2007, 11:45 AM
that's the only encouraging thing in that entire article.

I was wondering about that very thing. If the Mavs bring in this cancer, it will further retard Devin Harris' development.

He possibly could be useful if his attitude didn't suck and if he was willing to be a bench player.

Findog
07-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I was wondering about that very thing. If the Mavs bring in this cancer, it will further retard Devin Harris' development.

He possibly could be useful if his attitude didn't suck and if he was willing to be a bench player.

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel. Swallow your ego like Stack did and come off the bench for the MLE. Otherwise, no thanks.

MONTENEGRINO
07-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Ohhh... It will be hard in that locker room where Francis will be in... Sorry for team who sign Steve...

Johnny RIngo
07-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Call me crazy but I think Francis would be a good signing for them.

thispego
07-12-2007, 04:04 PM
ya'll need someone to replace devin harris's inept ass.

i cant believe real mavs fans like harris so much. that kid SUCKS

Findog
07-12-2007, 04:21 PM

Circa 2000 the Mavs couldn't give Steve Nash away, so it's way too early to close the book on Devin. And Harris doesn't suck, he merely has his flaws, such as no outside jumper and a tendency to telegraph his passes. After he sliced up your interior defense last year in the semifinals, I can't believe you'd dismiss him so easily. If he's as good now as he's ever going to be, then I would agree, the Mavs need to get an upgrade at PG. But you don't know that for sure yet.

iminlakerland
07-12-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm guessing he ends up in LA. The bond that he and Cuttino share is special.

I concur this was the same thing i was thinking last night when i read about the Clippers interest in him!

dickface
07-12-2007, 04:30 PM

spoken like a true bitter spurs fan who still remembers harris torching parker in 06

Findog
07-12-2007, 04:35 PM
spoken like a true bitter spurs fan who still remembers harris torching parker in 06

That's what I was thinking. Spurs are the best defensive team in the League, have been for quite some time, and he had no trouble getting to the basket. Only time he didn't hurt them was in Game Six, since Terry wasn't available to make them pay for packing the lane.

thispego
07-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Circa 2000 the Mavs couldn't give Steve Nash away, so it's way too early to close the book on Devin. And Harris doesn't suck, he merely has his flaws, such as no outside jumper and a tendency to telegraph his passes. After he sliced up your interior defense last year in the semifinals, I can't believe you'd dismiss him so easily. If he's as good now as he's ever going to be, then I would agree, the Mavs need to get an upgrade at PG. But you don't know that for sure yet.
he had his moments where he was able to take advantage of the attention we were paying to everyone else on the floor, but he is very easy to figure out and cant "slice up interior d's" regularly. Plus he thinks he is so much better than he really is.

thispego
07-12-2007, 05:11 PM
hahaha, torching is NOT the word I would use. he got lucky a few times and is NOWHERE NEAR the finisher parker is. Every time harris got to the hole he would get the luckiest fuckin bounces, the and 1, and then walk to the line like he was badass or something. and all the bitterness has been washed away by the sweet sweet taste of championship gold with a first round dallas exit to top it off.

J.T.
07-12-2007, 05:26 PM
and all the bitterness has been washed away by the sweet sweet taste of championship gold with a first round dallas exit to top it off.

IMO the bitterness died, or at least started to, when Miami beat them from almost 3 down. If not that, the first round exit took care of most of it and #4 waxed and polished it all off.

J.T.
07-12-2007, 05:27 PM
06-07 Spurs would have beat Dallas anyway.

J.T.
07-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Mavs should thank Manu Ginobili for at least letting them have one season when they didn't choke in the playoffs. Wait...

spursreport
07-12-2007, 05:29 PM
06-07 Spurs would have beat Dallas anyway.

As would the 06-07 Suns due to Amare being back.

lefty
I didn't realize Mavs were so desperate...

lefty
I didn't realize Mavs were so desperate...

dallaskd
07-12-2007, 05:53 PM
doubt it will happen but he would be a good back up PG to harris if terry is traded. but everyday it looks more like that wont happen.

lefty
07-12-2007, 06:27 PM
If Mavs get Francis, he might be their best post-up player :lol

mavs>spurs2
07-12-2007, 07:06 PM
If Mavs get Francis, he might be their best post-up player :lol

:lol :donkey

Nashfan
07-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Call me crazy but I think Francis would be a good signing for them.

I will call you crazy. Francis is a loser!

Rip-Hamilton32
07-12-2007, 08:47 PM
I will call you crazy. Francis is a loser!

i agree plus he lost his jump shot and his hops

Nashfan
07-12-2007, 11:12 PM

:tu

justanotherspursfan
07-13-2007, 12:00 AM
He's only like 29 -- is he genuinely done already? Why?

baseline bum
07-13-2007, 12:18 AM
OMG, I would love Francis in Dallas. There is no one in this league that Tony Parker has owned so badly for his entire career than Francis. Francis is the stupidest point guard I've ever seen in an NBA team's main rotation.

Roxsfan
07-13-2007, 01:21 AM
OMG, I would love Francis in Dallas. There is no one in this league that Tony Parker has owned so badly for his entire career than Francis. Francis is the stupidest point guard I've ever seen in an NBA team's main rotation.

one on one in a game of 21, francis would destroy parker :p:

BUMP
07-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Francis is the stupidest point guard I've ever seen in an NBA team's main rotation.
:dramaquee

big3bigD
07-13-2007, 10:45 AM
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/DimeMagazine/2007/07/13/Once_Upon_a_Time

Once Upon a Time...
Jul 13, 2007 | 5:39AM | report this

Three years ago, Steve Francis was giving the Kobe/Shaq Lakers triple-doubles in the playoffs and was probably one of the 15 or 20 best players in the entire League. Now he's taking Chris Webber-ish "please just go away" buyouts and his free agency is less of a story than Darko being on the market. And it's not like he's ancient; Francis is 30 years old, younger than guards J-Kidd, A.I., Nash, Vince, Billups, Steph and Ray Allen.

Steve is expected to go the C-Webb/Grant Hill route and sign a smaller contract while looking to play for a contender. The teams that reportedly have him on the radar include the Rockets, Mavs, Heat, Lakers and Clippers. (Although you can probably take the Lakers off that list after they reportedly agreed to ink Derek Fisher to a 3-year, $14 million deal yesterday.) Our collective gut says Steve ends up back with Cuttino in L.A., but how weird would it be for Francis to end up being a role player on the Rockets, when he was the guy they traded to get T-Mac?

Two guys whose prime years in the League were that long ago are Alonzo Mourning and Gary Payton. We're still waiting to hear what 'Zo and GP are gonna do as far as next year, and neither has said anything. Pat Riley told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, "I left [Zo] a message but he didn't call me back. That's usual with Zo." As for Payton, the Miami Herald said Riley and agent Aaron Goodwin have been "unable to reach one another in recent weeks." Recent weeks? With the way the Heat have been chasing Mo Williams and Steve Blake, it sounds like somebody might be screening somebody's calls...

As far as Mo Williams' situation, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel said Miami's offer is 5 years, $31 million, while the Bucks' offer is 5 years at $42 million. Which way would you go? We say Miami. Mo would have a better chance at winning right away and more visibility for endorsements, which could make up for some of the money he'd be walking away from with the Bucks. Plus, you know, he'd get to live in Miami as opposed to Milwaukee.

From the New York Post: "(Jamaal) Magloire could become a prime target if the Nets lose Mikki Moore to free agency. They drafted Sean Williams for frontcourt insurance but he is, after all, a rookie, so the Nets seek a veteran athletic, offensive presence. The 6-foot-11, 265-pound Magloire, 29, could fit that need." Really? Athletic, offensive presence? Gotta love it when people write things about players they've obviously never seen play before. Magloire averaged 6.5 points last year and was basically X'd out of Portland rotation as soon as LaMarcus Aldridge got healthy because he slows everything down.

Also from the NY Post, Vince Carter's personal court at his Florida crib is so nice, the Nets summer team uses it for practice during its time in the Orlando league.

Some top summer league performers from Thursday: Nate Robinson (21 pts, 10 asts), Pooh Jeter (22 pts, 5 asts), Von Wafer (25 pts), Mike Conley (13 pts, 7 asts, 1 turnover), Jared Dudley (16 pts, 10 rebs), Daequan Cook (20 pts) and Shawne Williams (19 pts, 10 rebs).

The tallest man in the world, 7-foot-9 Bao Xishun of China, got married yesterday in front of hundreds of people -- most of whom didn't know the bride or groom and just wanted to see the spectacle. No, Bao doesn't play ball; he's 56 years old. His new wife is 29 and about as tall as Earl Boykins. So as a couple they look something like this. Here's an actual picture of the newlyweds. You gotta wonder how many NBA teams would be interested in Bao, a herdsman by trade, if he were 30 years younger without even knowing if he could walk.

We're out like Steve's better days ...

dbreiden83080
07-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Francis is terrible, he kills any and all team chemistry and his skills have greatly diminished.

stretch
07-16-2007, 10:53 AM
there is also no PG that has had a better PF in NBA history to throw passes to and have absorb all the attention and double and triple teams than Parker.

peskypesky
07-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Three years ago, Steve Francis was giving the Kobe/Shaq Lakers triple-doubles in the playoffs and was probably one of the 15 or 20 best players in the entire League.

Hmmm, never knew Francis was on the Lakers, but I guess you learn something new every day. :reading

mardigan
07-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Barea>>>Francis

ponky
07-16-2007, 11:34 AM
tell me this is a freakin' joke. i was elated that he was finally off the roster of my other favorite team, please tell me this crap's not coming to fruition