PDA

View Full Version : Derek Fisher agrees to a 3-year contract to rejoin the Lakers

carib
07-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Did The Spurs Miss out on a good deal?

LAS VEGAS - For all intents and purposes, Derek Fisher will re-join the Lakers.

Fisher and the Lakers have agreed to a three-year contract worth about $13,959,000, league sources said.

However, there will be a holding period before he can sign the contract. Fisher, who was released by the Utah Jazz last week, has to clear waivers first.

It'll take seven days before Fisher can clear waivers, and that won't start until his previous contract of $20,592,600 that he walked away from is amended to zero dollars.

As of Wednesday night, the Jazz had not filed the paperwork with the NBA about Fisher's release. The seven-day countdown to Fisher's being free and able to sign with the Lakers won't start until Utah does.

Another team could pick up Fisher before he clears waivers. But if it does, that team will be on the hook for all of Fisher's $20,592,600 salary.

Fisher's contract with the Lakers will start at $4.3 million, which is less than the mid-level exception for next season at $5.3 million.

But Fisher, who will turn 33 next month, will get 8 percent raises on the next two years of his contract that will pay him $4.644 million during the 2008-09 season and $5.015 million in the final year.

Fisher became available after the Jazz released him from the last three years of a guaranteed contract so that he can concentrate on getting the best care for his 11-month-old daughter, who has cancer in her left eye.

Los Angeles is one the cities that can provide Fisher with the health care he needs for Tatum, who has been diagnosed with retinoblastoma.

The Lakers will hold a news conference today, and Luke Walton will sign a six-year, $30 million contract. Walton's agent announced that deal last week.

Walton and his agent agreed to help the Lakers out as far as the luxury tax is concerned by taking just $4 million in the first year.

That's still a significant raise from the $1,375,000 he earned last season.

Still, if Fisher signs, the Lakers will have committed $67.98 million to 13 players.

That would be slightly over next season's luxury tax threshold of $67.865 million.

Teams that exceed that have to pay a dollar-for-dollar tax. The Lakers could trade a player to get below the tax.

But the Lakers still want to re-sign center Chris Mihm, which could put them in luxury-tax jeopardy again.

Fisher spent the first eight years of his NBA career with the Lakers and was a part of three championship teams (2000-2002).

He was known as a good person in the locker room and in the community and was a close confidant of Kobe Bryant, whose agent, Rob Pelinka, just became Fisher's agent.

Fisher left the Lakers after they lost to the Detroit Pistons in the 2004 NBA Finals. He signed a six-year, $37 million contract with the Golden State Warriors, then was traded to the Jazz last summer.

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_lakers_12.412003a.html

duncan228
07-12-2007, 10:52 AM
I don't think the Spurs were in the conversation.

Fisher needed to be in a city where his daughter could get treatment.

I never saw San Antonio as one of his choices medical wise.

SenorSpur
07-12-2007, 11:06 AM
I know Fisher's daugther and her condition were top priority for him and his family and very well should have been.

I feel bad for bringing this up because Fisher is a "stand-up" guy and a true professional. However, I cant' help but wonder if the Jazz got "played" in the process. There was not sufficient treatment facilities in Salt Lake?

Kori Ellis
07-12-2007, 11:07 AM
I know Fisher's daugther and her condition were top priority for him and his family and very well should have been.

I feel bad for bringing this up because Fisher is a "stand-up" guy and a true professional. However, I cant' help but wonder if the Jazz got "played" in the process. There was not sufficient treatment facilities in Salt Lake?

I understood there were only 2 top treatment facilities in the country for her condition. One in L.A. and one in NYC.

SenorSpur
07-12-2007, 11:20 AM
I understood there were only 2 top treatment facilities in the country for her condition. One in L.A. and one in NYC.

Then I should be tied up and horsewhipped for even bringing it up.

Such a cynical Spurs fan. :lol

Fabbs
07-12-2007, 11:28 AM

Jazz wanted out of his contract anyways IMO. It's spun like they were being so bighearted in letting him go but his overbloated contract wasn't helping them anyways.

carib
07-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Fisher is a real gentleman, a professional, and a good father, all the best.

SenorSpur
07-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Fisher is a real gentleman, a professional, and a good father, all the best.

No question about that. That's why I felt awkward even bringing it up. Glad it worked out for both sides.

J.T.
07-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Fish has always had great character and when he was with the Lakers, he won and lost with dignity. Never afraid to give credit when its due or admit defeat when the Pistons beat them in 04. He was the only thing about the Lakers that I couldn't hate when Kobe and Shaq were still together.

Except for the .4. Fuck you for that, Fish.

Warlord23
07-12-2007, 01:06 PM
14 million $ for a slow, 6'1" guard with a streaky shot who is a turnstile on defense? Yeah, that puts the Lakers right back in the West race ....

Fisher is a solid pro with a good attitude, but he needs to be the 6th or 7th best player on his team to be effective. The Lakers should have gone after Blake instead.

makedamnsure
07-12-2007, 05:29 PM
if there was a place in LA that could help his daughter, what was he doing flying from NY to utah?

lefty
07-12-2007, 05:33 PM
if there was a place in LA that could help his daughter, what was he doing flying from NY to utah?

Maybe they were too busy at the LA medical center

duncan228
07-12-2007, 05:39 PM

She was being treated in NY at the time.
I think she'd had surgery or Chemo.

Brutalis
07-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Why did he use the excuse to be with his daughter and crap if he was gunna turn around and sign with someone else?

I think he used his daughter's illness to get a release. Because for NO other reason would they have granted it.

METALMiKE
07-12-2007, 07:50 PM
If he was to come to SA it would be like TO going to Dallas.

Girasuck
07-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Why did he use the excuse to be with his daughter and crap if he was gunna turn around and sign with someone else?

I think he used his daughter's illness to get a release. Because for NO other reason would they have granted it.

Who really cares what excuse he made? His brick shooting, overpaid ass is gone and now Sloan will be forced to play Brewer. Most Jazz fans are happy he's gone.