PDA

View Full Version : Wilkerson commits to UT

Hook Dem
12-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Wilkerson commits to Texas

Web Posted: 12/08/2004 12:00 AM CST

Dan McCarney
Express-News Staff Writer

Clark running back Jerrell Wilkerson said Tuesday that he plans to commit to Texas this weekend during his official visit to Austin.

"It's really exciting," Wilkerson said. "I'm looking forward to it. It's a great opportunity for any athlete.

"My mom keeps telling me about getting a free education, which is great. But to get to put on that helmet and compete against that level of competition, it's a great opportunity for me and my family."

Wilkerson ran for 2,508 yards in 12 games this season to shatter the city's career rushing record. In four years he had 7,249 yards, surpassing Jerod Douglas' mark by more than 1,000 yards.

Wilkerson set other city marks with 47 touchdowns this season, 110 in his career and eight in Clark's 56-7 victory against Holmes on Oct. 9.

National recruiting expert Tom Lemming said concerns about Wilkerson's size — he's 5-foot-9 and 175 pounds — have all but vanished thanks to his extraordinary production.

"Texas is getting an outstanding offensive weapon," said Lemming, who selected Wilkerson to participate in next month's U.S. Army All-American Bowl. "He's one of the best backs in the country — not quite on the elite level, but he's close."

Wilkerson said his other scholarship offers included Texas Tech, Notre Dame, Arizona and Kansas. Tennessee had been scheduled to host Wilkerson on an official visit later this month before his interest in Texas led the Volunteers to pull their offer.

Wilkerson joins a UT recruiting class that once again is shaping up among the nation's best.

In addition to Wilkerson, the Longhorns have landed pledges from Port Arthur Memorial running back Jamaal Charles and Reserve (La.) East St. John quarterback Ryan Perrilloux.

Charles rushed for 2,056 yards and 25 TDs this year. Perrilloux, a multifaceted athlete whom Lemming compares to Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, accounted for 5,016 total yards and 69 TDs.

Both will join Wilkerson at the All-American Bowl, which is Jan. 15 at the Alamodome.

"It's an outstanding class, top five for sure with a good shot at No. 1," Lemming said. "Perrilloux's the No. 1 player in the country, without a doubt. He's better than (current UT quarterback) Vincent Young was coming out of high school. That was a huge catch for the Longhorns."

manustarting2gd
12-08-2004, 11:29 AM
National recruiting expert Tom Lemming said concerns about Wilkerson's size — he's 5-foot-9 and 175 pounds — have all but vanished thanks to his extraordinary production.

"Texas is getting an outstanding offensive weapon," said Lemming, who selected Wilkerson to participate in next month's U.S. Army All-American Bowl. "He's one of the best backs in the country — not quite on the elite level, but he's close."

Man, I hope this guy eats his words about the hometown boy.. :rolleyes

FromWayDowntown
12-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Some of the stuff they're saying about Wilkerson is eerily reminiscent of the things that were being said about a similarly-sized and similarly-productive San Antonio running back about 12 years ago -- Priest Holmes.

I'm not saying Jerrell will turn out to be in Priest's realm, but he's at least in good company.

Das Texan
12-08-2004, 02:32 PM
wilkerson would do well to put on some weight prior to teh start of next year.

King
12-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Quentin Griffin and Darren Sproles did alright for themselves in college.