PDA

View Full Version : Mother and Toddler Not Allowed on Plane Because Toddler Wouldn't Keep Quiet

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Talking toddler and mother removed from flight in Houston
Little boy repeated 'Bye-bye, plane'
By Laura Whitley

(7/11/07 - KTRK/HOUSTON) - A passenger on a Houston flight says she and her child were thrown off the plane during an incident before takeoff. The question is -- did a crew member go too far, or was the move justified?

You know what it's like when you fly and the flight attendant goes through the security information before take-off. Some of you pay attention and some of you don't. But what happened on a recent Continental ExpressJet flight in Houston led to a woman and her child getting thrown off the plane, and now she wants answers.

The Atlanta to Oklahoma City flight was just connecting at Bush Intercontinental Airport. There was a long delay, but the problems for the Georgia mother and her son didn't start until they boarded the plane.

Passenger Kate Penland recalled, "He was saying, 'Bye-bye, plane.'"

That's how Penland's son Garron said goodbye to a more than 11 hour delay at the Houston airport. It happened last month on board a Continental ExpressJet plane while it taxied. The one and a half year old repeated 'bye-bye, plane' all though the flight attendant's safety speech.

"As she finished, she leaned over the gentleman who was sitting next to me, and she said, 'OK, it's not funny anymore. You need to shut your baby up,'" Penland said.

Penland explained Garron would likely fall asleep soon. The toddler wasn't crying or throwing a fit.

Penland told Eyewitness News, "She said, 'It doesn't matter. Regardless, I don't want to hear it.' And she said it's called baby Benadryl and (made a drinking motion.) And I said, 'Well, I'm not going to drug my child so you have a pleasant flight.'"

"He wasn't any louder than the adult passengers on the plane," said passenger Stacey Watts.

Watts sat just a few rows back from the Georgia mother and heard the entire conversation.

"Katie was in shock at that point," Watts explained. "You could tell. She was in row 3 and I was in row 6. She just kept saying, 'I don't know what you expect me to do. I don't know what you expect me to do.'"

Suddenly eyewitnesses say the flight attendant announced they were returning to the gate and Penland would be removed from the plane.

Houston police received a report of a disturbance on a plane, but it appears when the officer got there, he didn't find any crime. In fact, Penland wasn't arrested charged or even given a ticket.

According to ExpressJet, the flight crew has the authority to remove passengers who interfere with the safe operation of a flight. Penland has a difficult time believing she or her son caused that type of problem.

"It was embarrassing," she said. "I felt helpless."

We did some checking and the airline doesn't appear to have any specific rules or policies regarding passengers talking during the safety instructions.

Kristy Nicholas, a spokesperson for ExpressJet, gave the following statement to Eyewitness News: "We received Ms. Penland's letter expressing her concerns and intend to investigate."
(Copyright © 2007, KTRK-TV)

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5472927

BacktoBasics
07-12-2007, 01:33 PM
This would have been a perfect opportunity for me to go apeshit on a plane.

j-6
07-12-2007, 01:44 PM
There's a special place in hell for parents that won't shut their obnoxious kids up on an airplane. It's right next door to the special place in hell for parents that won't shut their obnoxious kids up in restaurants.

Condemned 2 HelLA
07-12-2007, 02:08 PM
There's a special place in hell for parents that won't shut their obnoxious kids up on an airplane. It's right next door to the special place in hell for parents that won't shut their obnoxious kids up in restaurants.

Don't forget about the hell reserved for the parents who insist on bring their screaming/crying babies into a movie theatre because they're too cheap to get a babysitter or too selfish to just stay at home and let others enjoy the film.

jcrod
07-12-2007, 02:11 PM

No that special place is for you if a child gets on your nerves that much.

I hope that lady gives them hell. No way should she of been thrown off the plane.

jcrod
07-12-2007, 02:15 PM
I was just on a flight when I noticed a mother asking a gentleman if he could switch seats with her because they didn't place her and her child next to each other. He was saying no and I was thinking what an ahole. She then turns and walks towards me and asked me, turns out the seat next to me was her childs. i said no problem I would be happy too.

Before take off and through out our 3 hr flight, there was a toddler seating behind him and he was loud and kept kicking the seat in front of him. Which happened to be the man who wouldn't switch seats. i just kept seeing his head jerk forward and I couldn't stop laughing.....karma ahole.

duncan228
07-12-2007, 02:16 PM
I agree that parents need to be responsible and not bring their kids to places that aren't right for kids.
Crying/screaming in movies and restaurants is not acceptable.

But if you have to fly and the kid is just talking, no matter how non-stop, it's okay with me. As long as it's talking and not screaming.

You're stuck on a plane. If your kid does break down all you can do is try to walk them or stand in the back rocking them. (I've been there. I had to fly cross country when my father died. My youngest was 9 months at the time. I had no choice and neither did she. I'm happy to remember that people on that flight were wonderful. No one complained and several offered to help amuse her with me, including a Flight Attendant.)

j-6
07-12-2007, 02:18 PM

I hope that lady gives them hell. No way should she of been thrown off the plane.

OK, then explain to me why I need to be subjected to your crying, screaming offspring when I paid three hundred bucks to sit shoulder-to-shoulder with two hundred other fully annoyed adults for four hours in a metal tube 30,000 feet above the ground.

Thanks in advance.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-12-2007, 02:21 PM

How funny.

I had a toddler scream and cry off and on for 6 straight hours in the seat in front of me. My bad for letting it get to me though right?

Or another time when I was stuck in Rome and missed my connecting because a 3 year old refused to seat in his seat and we couldn't take off until the kid was buckled in.

If you can't control your kids, don't travel with them.

It's that simple.

Melmart1
07-12-2007, 02:22 PM
OK, then explain to me why I need to be subjected to your crying, screaming offspring when I paid three hundred bucks to sit shoulder-to-shoulder with two hundred other fully annoyed adults for four hours in a metal tube 30,000 feet above the ground.

Thanks in advance.
So, how is the child supposed to travel? Are kids only allowed to travel by car?

In a movie or restaurant its mildly annoying but on a plane, what the fuck do you want the parents to do, parachute to their destination? Would you like a law that says you are not allowed to travel once you have children?

IceColdBrewski
07-12-2007, 02:24 PM
The flight attendant should be fired. If she doesn't have the patience to deal with a baby saying "bye bye plane", she's in the wrong line of work.

Mixability
07-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I hate disrupting other people in restaurants when I have my boy with me. I've left before even getting food if he acts up. I have no problem asking for a doggie bag 10min. after I've been seated. I would only hope other parents would show the same consideration. I saw Transformers with a newborn screaming about 10 rows down, wtf?

BacktoBasics
07-12-2007, 02:25 PM
I was just on a flight when I noticed a mother asking a gentleman if he could switch seats with her because they didn't place her and her child next to each other. He was saying no and I was thinking what an ahole. She then turns and walks towards me and asked me, turns out the seat next to me was her childs. i said no problem I would be happy too.

Before take off and through out our 3 hr flight, there was a toddler seating behind him and he was loud and kept kicking the seat in front of him. Which happened to be the man who wouldn't switch seats. i just kept seeing his head jerk forward and I couldn't stop laughing.....karma ahole.Which would be worse?

What if the plane crashed in middle of the Amazon and you manged to survive and crawl 20 miles to a little know tribe. While they nurse you back to health word gets out the the lady sitting in your seat was killed in the plane crash. Burn beyond all recognition your family assumes its you since its your seat and goes ahead and plans your funeral.

They have your funeral and your husband/wife meets someone weeks later and falls in love with them, that person ultimately raises you children like they were their red headed bratty step kids that they are. You find your way back to reality 1 year later to find that your life has changed beyond comprehension. All because you switched seats you ultimately kill yourself because its too much to handle.

07-12-2007, 02:27 PM
So, how is the child supposed to travel? Are kids only allowed to travel by car?

Wait, why should this be the problem of everyone else on board? Why should I be forced to care?

jcrod
07-12-2007, 02:31 PM

In a movie or restaurant its mildly annoying but on a plane, what the fuck do you want the parents to do, parachute to their destination? Would you like a law that says you are not allowed to travel once you have children?

Thank you. Some kids are just crankier than others. My daughter would sit quietly through anything. My son on the other hand can't sit still for much longer than 15 minutes.

You don't know how your kids will react to certain situations until the first time. I know i can't take my son to the movies or to a restuarunt where the wait time is long. But not after I first experienced it.

If you can't stand it, you shouldnt go. Because thats life and to turn and make faces and comments will only make you look like the ahole you are. They're just kids.

j-6
07-12-2007, 02:33 PM

I want them to shut the kid up immediately if not sooner. Is that too much to ask? I travel frequently enough to see some parents get up and silence their children almost instantly. I've seen others that ignore their tantrums, or give up and plug in their earphones, or start arguing Parenting 101 with the folks that ask the parents to intervene.

If you can't control your kids, don't travel with them.

Couldn't say it any better.

katyon6th
07-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Uncontrollable kids on planes should be put in cages and kept with the luggage.

Mixability
07-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Thank you. Some kids are just crankier than others. My daughter would sit quietly through anything. My son on the other hand can't sit still for much longer than 15 minutes.

You don't know how your kids will react to certain situations until the first time. I know i can't take my son to the movies or to a restuarunt where the wait time is long. But not after I first experienced it.

If you can't stand it, you shouldnt go. Because thats life and to turn and make faces and comments will only make you look like the ahole you are. They're just kids.

I agree about the restaurant and the movies, but other people shouldn't have to deal with it on a plane. This kid in particular wasn't unruly and the flight attendant was in the wrong, but if the kid was screaming his head off, then the parent should know well enough to offer to get off if the kid doesn't look like he's gonna stop.

jcrod
07-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Which would be worse?

What if the plane crashed in middle of the Amazon and you manged to survive and crawl 20 miles to a little know tribe. While they nurse you back to health word gets out the the lady sitting in your seat was killed in the plane crash. Burn beyond all recognition your family assumes its you since its your seat and goes ahead and plans your funeral.

They have your funeral and your husband/wife meets someone weeks later and falls in love with them, that person ultimately raises you children like they were their red headed bratty step kids that they are. You find your way back to reality 1 year later to find that your life has changed beyond comprehension. All because you switched seats you ultimately kill yourself because its too much to handle.

:lol

Mixability
07-12-2007, 02:36 PM
I have yet to take my 2 year old to the movies, but the first time I do and he won't keep quiet, I have no problem leaving and missing the movie.

BacktoBasics
07-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Before I had my son I would have been glad they told that bitch off and removed her. After having my son I feel her pain. Its hard to keep 1-2 year olds quiet.

to21
07-12-2007, 02:39 PM

Thanks in advance.

Two words:
PRIVATE JET.

Here's another two:
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.

:donkey

tlongII
07-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm sure the lady will get a free airline ticket out of this so it's no big deal.

j-6
07-12-2007, 02:40 PM

So the rest of society has to be subjected to your kid's behavioral litmus test on a daily basis? We appreciate your courtesy.

Melmart1
07-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Wait, why should this be the problem of everyone else on board? Why should I be forced to care?
Because everyone has to travel. It's just like a bus -- would you support rules on a bus that say no kids on board? What about trains?

If the company in question (American, Southwest, etc) does not have specific rules about crying babies or parents who fly and this bothers you, then you have a right not to patronize them.

jcrod
07-12-2007, 02:45 PM
So the rest of society has to be subjected to your kid's behavioral litmus test on a daily basis? We appreciate your courtesy.

Hey, we have to put up with yours.

j-6
07-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Two words:
PRIVATE JET.

Here's another two:
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.

:donkey

Here's two for you:

COMMON COURTESY

I brought a couple more just in case:

PARENTAL INTERVENTION

By the way, thanks for your insight.

samikeyp
07-12-2007, 02:46 PM
There is a difference between a kid being fussy and a kid being obnoxious and the parents not doing anything about it. Sounds like this kid, though, was being neither.

I agree with the "take your kid outside" take when it comes to movies or a restaurant. If the kid is being obnoxious he/she doesn't deserve the movie and if the kid is not feeling well, they should be home anyway.

Traveling is different. Should a child be allowed to disturb other passengers? No. Everyone on that flight deserves courtesy. But just because a child is making noise, doesn't not mean the parent is letting it happen. The kid could be scared or not feeling well. Unless the child is being destructive, he/she and the parents should be allowed to stay.

Mixability
07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
In this post 9/11 world, maybe the flight attendant thought "Bye-bye, plane" was a threat.

to21
07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
I have yet to take my 2 year old to the movies, but the first time I do and he won't keep quiet, I have no problem leaving and missing the movie.

Me too.

As parents sometimes we have to make sacrifices like not being able to go the the movies or sit down in a nice restaurant, especially if we have kids that can't sit still.

jcrod
07-12-2007, 02:51 PM
There is a difference between a kid being fussy and a kid being obnoxious and the parents not doing anything about it. Sounds like this kid, though, was being neither.

I agree with the "take your kid outside" take when it comes to movies or a restaurant. If the kid is being obnoxious he/she doesn't deserve the movie and if the kid is not feeling well, they should be home anyway.

Traveling is different. Should a child be allowed to disturb other passengers? No. Everyone on that flight deserves courtesy. But just because a child is making noise, doesn't not mean the parent is letting it happen. The kid could be scared or not feeling well. Unless the child is being destructive, he/she and the parents should be allowed to stay.

Exactly! There are so many different scenarios and bad parenting is one of them.

07-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Because everyone has to travel. It's just like a bus -- would you support rules on a bus that say no kids on board? What about trains?

If the company in question (American, Southwest, etc) does not have specific rules about crying babies or parents who fly and this bothers you, then you have a right not to patronize them.

I'm talking flights over 4-5 hours. And yes, their should be an age limit on transcontinental flights IMO. Short of that, parents should be prepared to drug their kids if they become that unruly.

to21
07-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Here's two for you:

COMMON COURTESY

I brought a couple more just in case:

PARENTAL INTERVENTION

By the way, thanks for your insight.

You know a airplane is a big bus with wings right?

When you get onto a bus you run the risk of sitting next to a large person, someone who stinks, a screaming kid, or an asshole (like yourself).

Melmart1
07-12-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm talking flights over 4-5 hours. And yes, their should be an age limit on transcontinental flights IMO. Short of that, parents should be prepared to drug their kids if they become that unruly.
An age limit on transcontinental flights? OK, so I guess military personnel stationed overseas for more than a year are no longer allowed to take their children with them because it might inconvenience people.

If it's a long flight, how about YOU drug yourself so you don't have to deal with it?

duncan228
07-12-2007, 03:01 PM
What's the reason for the split views on this?

Is it whether you're a parent and understand that no matter how good your parenting skills are sometimes your kid will act up in a place you can't leave?

Or is it age/maturity level?

Melmart1
07-12-2007, 03:02 PM
I don't have kids, so not sure its a parenting thing. But I have taken my nephews on flights plenty of times and when I was younger had to fly a lot for custody reasons. So I guess from experience I just see things differently.

IceColdBrewski
07-12-2007, 03:02 PM

Exactly. I could understand this if the kid was throwing a temper tantrum. This was just normal behavior for a child.

I've had no trouble removing my children from a theatre/restaurant/church when they got cranky, but this is totally different.

From the looks of things, we have quite a few posters who don't have children yet, and they're in for a rude awakening. :lol

In a perfect world, all our kids would keep quiet when we want them to. In the real world, it just doesn't work that way.

to21
07-12-2007, 03:03 PM
If it's a long flight, how about YOU drug yourself so you don't have to deal with it?

:drunk

duncan228
07-12-2007, 03:04 PM
I don't have kids, so not sure its a parenting thing. But I have taken my nephews on flights plenty of times and when I was younger had to fly a lot for custody reasons. So I guess from experience I just see things differently.

Mature thinking. Don't have to be a parent to have it.

j-6
07-12-2007, 03:05 PM

I'm not the apprentice adult screaming my head off. I'm trying to read a book or something in spite of the screamer. Besides, they need a lower level of medication and they're not driving a motor vehicle once they land.

And just to make a point here, I'm bitching about the parents that can't handle their wailing banshee offspring. Those millions of parents who can keep their kids under control on a plane, whether by good parenting, bribery, or fear of a beating, have my utmost respect.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2007, 03:06 PM
There's a difference between a kid being so loud and obnoxious that it makes it unbearable for any people around him/her and a kid just talking too much and being annoying to some with little patience. This case seems like the latter.

Melmart1
07-12-2007, 03:10 PM
And just to make a point here, I'm bitching about the parents that can't handle their wailing banshee offspring. Those millions of parents who can keep their kids under control on a plane, whether by good parenting, bribery, or fear of a beating, have my utmost respect.
I see your point, and I agree. If a child is out of line completely and the parents do nothing, that sucks. But I also think that happens far less than people think. We always tend to remember the shitty experiences, and forget that for every idiot parent on a flight with their screaming kid, there were prolly a dozen kids who were well-behaved or asleep the whole time.

It's jsut like the thread with teh kid who got sodomized by the pit bull. All the pit bull lovers want to say 'blame the parent'. It's the same thing here.

Also, I would venture to say that the ones who protest the loudest about kids in here, I bet they were the exact same way when they were kids.

to21
07-12-2007, 03:12 PM
From the looks of things, we have quite a few posters who don't have children yet, and they're in for a rude awakening. :lol

Exactly, because those "other" posters MUST have been Angels when they were snot-nosed brats and their parents took them EVERYWHERE.

The point about screaming kids on a plane is well made. It sucks, but what are you gonna do? Clearly the lady that got kicked off this plane should get to kick that flight attendant dead in her ass.

j-6
07-12-2007, 03:22 PM
What's the reason for the split views on this?

Is it whether you're a parent and understand that no matter how good your parenting skills are sometimes your kid will act up in a place you can't leave?

Or is it age/maturity level?

I fly somewhere between 12-15 times a year and have for about the last four years or so, with most flights being about 3.5 hours (Dallas to NY). Before that I flew a lot less, but what I still consider more than most people, about every six to eight weeks or so.

I'm not pulling out my air travel dick for measurement purposes here, but I think I know what I'm talking about.

I theoretically blame it on two things. One, more and more places are becoming kid-friendly these days, having "kids stay free" promotions or other incentives. So more kids (and people that travel a lot know this) are flying than they used to and perhaps it's just a matter of numbers rather than parenting. Hell, even the blissful, hungover silence of a trip back from Vegas gets wailers these days.

Secondly, there's just less courtesy these days when it comes to people and their kids on a plane. Screaming kids used to be something that would happen upon take-off and the initial climb, then silence afterwards. People used to be embarrassed that their offspring was throwing a fit. Now if offends the parents when their fellow passengers complain about the racket their kids are throwing. I'm shocked when I travel and not have a banshee on board.

SpursWoman
07-12-2007, 03:26 PM

In a perfect world, all our kids would keep quiet when we want them to. In the real world, it just doesn't work that way.

:tu :lol

jcrod
07-12-2007, 03:31 PM
I fly somewhere between 12-15 times a year and have for about the last four years or so, with most flights being about 3.5 hours (Dallas to NY). Before that I flew a lot less, but what I still consider more than most people, about every six to eight weeks or so.

I'm not pulling out my air travel dick for measurement purposes here, but I think I know what I'm talking about.

I theoretically blame it on two things. One, more and more places are becoming kid-friendly these days, having "kids stay free" promotions or other incentives. So more kids (and people that travel a lot know this) are flying than they used to and perhaps it's just a matter of numbers rather than parenting. Hell, even the blissful, hungover silence of a trip back from Vegas gets wailers these days.

Secondly, there's just less courtesy these days when it comes to people and their kids on a plane. Screaming kids used to be something that would happen upon take-off and the initial climb, then silence afterwards. People used to be embarrassed that their offspring was throwing a fit. Now if offends the parents when their fellow passengers complain about the racket their kids are throwing. I'm shocked when I travel and not have a banshee on board.

I'm traveling almost weekly to Atlanta and FL, with some short flights to DFW, so I see it all the time.

Again, if a screaming kid gets on your nerves that much, then you have other issues. Does it bother me, sure, but to say they should not travel is stupid. If the parent is doing nothing to help stop the screaming, yeah i would not like that. But hey, there is nothing you can do about it, so how does it benefit you to be piss.

I'm like you and surpised when I don't have a screaming kid on the plane. I expect it, have my ipod, movie or something to read. Most cases the parents are trying to do anything to quiet the kid and you just have to ride it out. I'm sure they're not comfortable with it and you staring and making comments don't make it easier, because the kids since the frustration and anxiiety the parents are experincing.

ObiwanGinobili
07-12-2007, 03:34 PM

gigantic DITTO to this entire post, very well put. :clap

and I wanted to add that I'm actually very shocked the toddler wasn't throwing a huge fit and being uber cranky after an 11 hr layover.
Maybe the flight attendant shoulda took a nap before she boarded the plane.

Shelly
07-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Most babies and toddlers will cry at take off and landing because of the change in pressure, but usually are fine once they are up in the air. When my oldest was around 15 months, we flew from Oakland to John Wayne and as we started landing he started screaming. Tried having him drink water, chew something, nothing worked. What are you gonna do?

Luckily, my kids were always well behaved in restaurants when they were little. Mainly because we would eat on THEIR schedule. If your kid eats at 5 and you go at 7, then they might get a little cranky.

However, now at almost 12 and 14.5, I don't even let them sit next to each other or we'll have the punching game.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-12-2007, 04:53 PM
J-6 and Disgruntled sound like they don't have a clue about the challenges of being a parent.

Travelling with a child is pretty stressful. I doubt any parent wants their kid bothering others on a flight.

Flea
07-12-2007, 05:01 PM
I don't care how good a parent you are, there is no reasoning with a two yo. If there is an obnoxious whiny tantrum throwing 6yo then passenegrs have every right to be upset with the parent but under age 3, ya just never know what may set that kid off.

mrsmaalox
07-12-2007, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=IceColdBrewski

Exactly. Nowthat my kids are older and "semi-trained" the only thing I think when I hear a kid losing it in a public place is "Thank God that's not mine!" and chuckle to myself. :lol

xXx
07-12-2007, 05:04 PM

Thanks in advance.

cuz lifes a bitch. invest in headphones.

xXx
07-12-2007, 05:08 PM
I hate disrupting other people in restaurants when I have my boy with me. I've left before even getting food if he acts up. I have no problem asking for a doggie bag 10min. after I've been seated. I would only hope other parents would show the same consideration. I saw Transformers with a newborn screaming about 10 rows down, wtf?

i took my kid to see transformers too. 11 months. he was cool for 45 minutes. then started to get cranky. i just took him to the side, and if he got too loud we went out of the theatre all together. he fell asleep after about 40 minutes and i caught all the action at the end of the movie with the kid asleep in my lap.

seems like common courtesy to me.

mrsmaalox
07-12-2007, 05:10 PM
However, now at almost 12 and 14.5, I don't even let them sit next to each other or we'll have the punching game.
How about the "poking game" in the car? Argh!! :ihit

Shelly
07-12-2007, 05:15 PM
How about the "poking game" in the car? Argh!! :ihit

I get the arm rest up/down thing. And son number one thinks he's son number two's alternative father. I have to constantly remind him that I do not need reinforcement.

xXx
07-12-2007, 05:19 PM
In this post 9/11 world, maybe the flight attendant thought "Bye-bye, plane" was a threat.

ha!

07-12-2007, 05:37 PM
J-6 and Disgruntled sound like they don't have a clue about the challenges of being a parent.

Travelling with a child is pretty stressful. I doubt any parent wants their kid bothering others on a flight.

Sadly, I probably know more than a lot of people who do have kids. That's the problem.

There are a lot of children who are complete assholes because they are allowed to be. And it's getting worse.

And I beg to differ about the last line. There are quite a few parents who could give a shit less if their kid was bothering anyone because their kid can do no wrong. Or that they rarely interact with their kids in the first place to know any different.

SpursWoman
07-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Eh ... I'm ultra-sensitive to how my kids behave in public. The only movies I'd ever take them to see anyway when they were little were movies for kids ... like Finding Nemo or whatever. And if there's an adult that gets pissed at kids misbehaving during the Finding Nemo matinee on a Saturday afternoon, they can pretty much..well, I really don't know what to say to that. :lol

Shelly
07-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Sadly, I probably know more than a lot of people who do have kids. That's the problem.

There are a lot of children who are complete assholes because they are allowed to be. And it's getting worse.

And I beg to differ about the last line. There are quite a few parents who could give a shit less if their kid was bothering anyone because their kid can do no wrong. Or that they rarely interact with their kids in the first place to know any different.

I'm gonna have to agree...there are A LOT of parents that have that 'kids will be kids' or 'you know how boys are' or 'my kid would never do that'.

However, there are just some kids that no matter what you do, just don't behave. Also, you have to cut some slack because you don't know if a child is mentally diabled, sick, etc.

Shelly
07-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Eh ... I'm ultra-sensitive to how my kids behave in public. The only movies I'd ever take them to see anyway when they were little were movies for kids ... like Finding Nemo or whatever. And if there's an adult that gets pissed at kids misbehaving during the Finding Nemo matinee on a Saturday afternoon, they can pretty much..well, I really don't know what to say to that. :lol

Sometimes when I'm at my 2nd home and I see a kid crying, I'll say to them, "That's okay...I don't want to be here either!" :lol

j-6
07-12-2007, 06:49 PM

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, Chopper. My beef is with the folks that either can't control their kids, choose not to control their kids, or don't respect their fellow passengers by thinking "kids will be kids" and that we should have to deal with their behavior without being annoyed.

Oh yeah, and Melmart1 made a good point earlier whe she mentioned the majority of kids are pretty well behaved on planes and that I'm pinpointing the bad apples. That has a lot of truth to it, but there's a lot of bad apples out there for whatever reason. Maybe it's just summer travel.

I am pretty amused by how pissed off some of the parents got in this thread about childless folks like myself being irritated by being locked into a flying cigar tube with a screaming child. Congrats, you reproduced. That doesn't give you a merit badge in telling us how to deal with your wailing kiddos. We just want them silenced for a few hours. Is that too much to ask?

Most parents (like I said earlier) seem to have a handle on that concept, and I'm willing to bet that most posters in this thread are good about making sure their children are well-behaved in public. Those that don't are the focus of my argument, so don't act like you've never been irritated by someone else's kid throwing a fit on an airplane and the parents not doing anything about it.

Flea
07-12-2007, 06:49 PM

Didn't someone once say, "I was the perfect parent, until I had children."

Flea
07-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I am pretty amused by how pissed off some of the parents got in this thread about childless folks like myself being irritated by being locked into a flying cigar tube with a screaming child. Congrats, you reproduced. That doesn't give you a merit badge in telling us how to deal with your wailing kiddos. We just want them silenced for a few hours. Is that too much to ask?

Most of the parents want them silenced too. Heck there have been many times that duct tape has tempted me. :lol

07-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Didn't someone once say, "I was the perfect parent, until I had children."

Sure, and I think the reply was, "The thing that impresses me most about America is the way parents obey their children."

ShoogarBear
07-12-2007, 07:08 PM
In this post 9/11 world, maybe the flight attendant thought "Bye-bye, plane" was a threat.I was thinking the same thing.

Did the kid have an accent?

samikeyp
07-12-2007, 07:26 PM
gigantic DITTO to this entire post, very well put.

and I wanted to add that I'm actually very shocked the toddler wasn't throwing a huge fit and being uber cranky after an 11 hr layover.
Maybe the flight attendant shoulda took a nap before she boarded the plane.

Thank you.

I am not a parent but as someone who has taken an active role in currently raising a niece and 2 nephews, I am beginning to understand what parents go through. There are some really crappy ones out there and there are some great ones but its never perfect. Even the best parents have bad days with the kids. You have to be tolerant.

exstatic
07-12-2007, 07:47 PM
I flew exactly three times before my 18th birthday. All three were trans-Atlantic flights to military assignments. We drove everywhere else. I don't see how people can afford to fly with kids, even with current gas prices. Pack up that huge SUV with the dual flip down plasma gaming/DVD system and get your ass on the road. Even a two day drive with one overnight is probably going to be cheaper than flying if it's 4 or 5 people. See the country.

ducks
07-12-2007, 07:48 PM
I just flew
3 20 year old boys
were LOUD did not get thrown
out saying I have to pee
that lady needs to get a life just because she is having a bad day does that mean she has the right to take it out on everyone

people say do not travel with kids are wrong
you can not leave your kids home always and you have to travel do to work

Shelly
07-12-2007, 07:55 PM
I flew exactly three times before my 18th birthday. All three were trans-Atlantic flights to military assignments. We drove everywhere else. I don't see how people can afford to fly with kids, even with current gas prices. Pack up that huge SUV with the dual flip down plasma gaming/DVD system and get your ass on the road. Even a two day drive with one overnight is probably going to be cheaper than flying if it's 4 or 5 people. See the country.

No shit. We go out to CA every Christmas and always drive. We were thinking of flying this year, but we'd also have to rent a car as we were gonna fly non-stop into San Diego. With the flight, car rental, and boarding the dog, it was gonna cost us over $3K. Looks like I will be spending the night in beautiful Las Cruces, NM again this year!

missmyzte
07-12-2007, 08:37 PM
I fly semi-frequently with work and can tell you that it SUCKS being near a loud, crying or whiny child. And why on earth do parents insist on giving them toys that make loud noises to play with on the plane??

There are several kids I would have had to kill were it not for my iPod and PSP. I just crank my iPod up full blast and play games on the PSP. The kids don't bug me after that.

I was on a Southwest flight recently from Phoenix to Burbank. A few girls sitting around me were models and were headed towards Brazil a few days after this particular flight. One of the girls in particular was talking very loudly, cussing and just acting obnoxious. Of course the flight attendants (male) were falling all over themselves in love with her so they didn't tell her to quiet down. An older couple sitting across from my got up and moved. I just cranked up my iPod.

Bigzax
07-12-2007, 11:38 PM
i flew with my kid one time...and it was just from here to atlanta.

when the little ones are fussy, there is only so much you can do...but he was cool for the most part.

i booked at a later date than wifey, so on the 2nd flight, she had him and i was 15 rows in front of her....she was on a 3 seat row and next to a couple so i couldn't switch. and i was on an emergency exit row so no kids allowed.

i unfortunately had to sit next to some venezuelen chicky wearing really tight clothes. well...there was an empty seat between us. we started to chat towards the end of the flight as she was noticing i was on my 6th beer and jamming to the tunes. we split the last beer. so like i was saying...traveling with the little ones isn't easy...

phyzik
07-12-2007, 11:52 PM
When I first read the title I will admit, I was thinking "FUCK YES, FINALLY!!!" I fucking HATE people who cant shut their kids loud ass traps..... then I read the story and thats kind of fucked up...

I wish they had this kind of zero tolerance's in movie theaters though. Fuck you fucking parents who bring your kids to movies NOT meant for children... ohh, Im sure everyone here is like "ohh, thats not me!!" Trust me.... its you. If you bring your kid into an "R" rated movie.... its fucking you... FUCKING DIE!!!!

If I ever win the lotto I'm going to open a theater and call it "We kill loud ass kids and their stupid fucking parents so stay the fuck away - 14" or something equally catchy.

It will have 14 theaters.

Bigzax
07-12-2007, 11:58 PM
what will your refreshment prices be like?

phyzik
07-13-2007, 12:01 AM
what will your refreshment prices be like?

since there will be no kids I obviously wont be able to rob people blind because there wont be some little fucking gremlin running around screaming popcorn/soda....

Id probably still jack the prices on candy and shit just to weed out the wussies.... It would have a full service bar with 20 beers on tap served in a 20oz glass.... 2.00 Domestic, 3.00 import...

ahh... a man can dream....

07-13-2007, 12:16 AM
When I first read the title I will admit, I was thinking "FUCK YES, FINALLY!!!" I fucking HATE people who cant shut their kids loud ass traps..... then I read the story and thats kind of fucked up...

I wish they had this kind of zero tolerance's in movie theaters though. Fuck you fucking parents who bring your kids to movies NOT meant for children... ohh, Im sure everyone here is like "ohh, thats not me!!" Trust me.... its you. If you bring your kid into an "R" rated movie.... its fucking you... FUCKING DIE!!!!

If I ever win the lotto I'm going to open a theater and call it "We kill loud ass kids and their stupid fucking parents so stay the fuck away - 14" or something equally catchy.

It will have 14 theaters.

You'll like this story then:

Flight attendants often deal with obnoxious passengers who won't listen to instructions by kicking them off the plane. But a Massachusetts couple think AirTran Airways went overboard by treating their crying 3-year-old daughter in much the same way.

Julie and Gerry Kulesza and daughter Elly were removed from the flight when the girl refused to take her seat before takeoff, airline officials said Tuesday. But her parents said they just needed a little more time to calm her down.

The Kuleszas planned to fly home to Boston on Jan. 14 from Fort Myers after a four-day visit with the girl's paternal grandparents. She was removed because "she was climbing under the seat and hitting the parents and wouldn't get in her seat" during boarding, AirTran spokeswoman Judy Graham-Weaver said.

AirTran officials say they were only following Federal Aviation Administration rules that children age 2 and above must have their own seat and be wearing a seatbelt upon takeoff.

"The flight was already delayed 15 minutes and in fairness to the other 112 passengers on the plane, the crew made an operational decision to remove the family," Graham-Weaver said.

But Julie Kulesza said: "We weren't giving an opportunity to hold her, console her or anything."

"Elly was sitting in front of our seat crying," she said in a phone interview. "The attendant motioned to a seat and asked if we purchased it for her."

They had paid for the seat. Gerry Kulesza said another attendant then approached the family and told him: "You need to get her in control and in her seat."

The couple told the attendants they were trying. Julie Kulesza said she asked the attendants if Elly could sit on her lap, but they said no.

The family flew home the next day.

The Orlando-based carrier reimbursed the family $595.80, the cost of the three tickets, and offered them three roundtrip tickets anywhere the airline flies, Graham-Weaver said.

But that's too little, too late for the Kuleszas. The father said they would never fly AirTran again.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8MR41C02&show_article=1

BTW, after the story broke, AirTran received over 14,000 emails and calls overwhelmingly supporting them for their actions.

Jimcs50
07-13-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm sure the lady will get a free airline ticket out of this so it's no big deal.

She better get more than that. She was dumped in Houston and her luggage was sent ahead w/o her, and she probably had to wait even longer at the airport to get another flight and probably had to pay an arm and a leg for 2 tickets because of the last minute purchase.

I would sue the fuckers for at least $100,000.

ploto
07-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Trust me.... its you. If you bring your kid into an "R" rated movie.
When it first opened one of the SA theatres had a policy about not allowing children under a certain age into R rated movie theatres, but it disappeared pretty quickly.

mrsmaalox
07-13-2007, 10:51 AM
since there will be no kids I obviously wont be able to rob people blind because there wont be some little fucking gremlin running around screaming popcorn/soda....

Id probably still jack the prices on candy and shit just to weed out the wussies.... It would have a full service bar with 20 beers on tap served in a 20oz glass.... 2.00 Domestic, 3.00 import...

ahh... a man can dream....
Gin and tonic Icees?

Summers
07-13-2007, 11:00 AM
I think it's disturbing there are people here who thinks it's not okay for a toddler to act like a toddler, but it is okay to beat children into silence or to cage them with the luggage for flights (Is that the same Katy who lectured me about calling NorCal spoiled?).

This reminds me of the time I had to wait for 5 hours in the ER and my 3-year-old was playing on the floor with another little boy and laughing. The dude behind me, who must've known it was my kid and looked to be all of 22, started telling his girlfriend how "fuckin' sick and tired I am of these fuckin' kids who can't be quiet; why can't their fuckin' parents do something about them? i never fuckin' acted this way; my dad beat my ass if I didn't behave". (And look how lovely he turned out!)

I for one would be thrilled if airlines had flights assigned for people travelling with or without children because I'm one of those parents who is mortified when my kids scream in public. I don't take my kids to movies or to nice restaurants out of respect for other patrons. But if you have to take a flight, it's not possible to keep your kid quiet for several hours at a time, especially when the flight's been delayed half a day! At that point, the mom was out of bribery snacks from her purse, had probably had to scramble to find something for him to drink, had probably had to find some out of the way place to change several diapers, all because the plane didn't take off when it was supposed to. The flight attendant was out of line. She needs to be put on Zanax or find another job.

leemajors
07-13-2007, 11:38 AM
changing a diaper on a plane is a nightmare.

katyon6th
07-13-2007, 02:34 PM
I think it's disturbing there are people here who thinks it's not okay for a toddler to act like a toddler, but it is okay to beat children into silence or to cage them with the luggage for flights (Is that the same Katy who lectured me about calling NorCal spoiled?).

Well, maybe I should've put my post in italicized blue font. Or put a pink dancing elephant or some other smiley. Maybe the spinning smiley face one would've done it. Because I wasn't serious.

And I remember commenting about you calling NorCal spoiled but I don't remember giving you a lecture.

Some of you people take things on this board way too seriously.

07-13-2007, 03:38 PM

This reminds me of the time I had to wait for 5 hours in the ER and my 3-year-old was playing on the floor with another little boy and laughing. The dude behind me, who must've known it was my kid and looked to be all of 22, started telling his girlfriend how "fuckin' sick and tired I am of these fuckin' kids who can't be quiet; why can't their fuckin' parents do something about them? i never fuckin' acted this way; my dad beat my ass if I didn't behave". (And look how lovely he turned out!)

I for one would be thrilled if airlines had flights assigned for people travelling with or without children because I'm one of those parents who is mortified when my kids scream in public.

I dream of carriers offering adults-only flights. Say the hours between 10-4 are child-friendly and have a few flights before and after that time period adults-only.

And I condone smacking a child but I was thinking more of stuffing those unruly kids in the overhead compartments. Caging them in the cargo hold is a bit much, even for me.

leemajors
07-13-2007, 04:35 PM
pot brownies and sound isolating headphones. before i became a parent it was the only way to fly.

bigzak25
07-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Well, maybe I should've put my post in italicized blue font. Or put a pink dancing elephant or some other smiley. Maybe the spinning smiley face one would've done it. Because I wasn't serious.

And I remember commenting about you calling NorCal spoiled but I don't remember giving you a lecture.

don't you dare lecture us about taking things too seriously young lady.
:elephant :spin

bigzak25
07-13-2007, 04:37 PM
pot brownies and sound isolating headphones. before i became a parent it was the only way to fly.

i like the way the fallguy thinks. :tu

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-13-2007, 05:10 PM
My god, this hasn't been posted yet?!?!?!

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13675836/detail.html

Mom Booted From Plane Goes National; Toddler Bucks, Whines During Interview

POSTED: 9:12 am EDT July 13, 2007
UPDATED: 4:25 pm EDT July 13, 2007

NEW YORK -- The Gwinnett County mother kicked off an airplane with her 19-month old son tried to tell her side of the story Friday morning, but her son's crying drowned out part of the interview.

Garren Penland, 19-months old, got so unruly during his mom's chat with 'Good Morning America' anchor Diane Sawyer, co-anchor Chris Cuomo had to take the toddler off the set.

While Kate Penland explained her child was well-behaved on the Continental Express flight, little Garren kicked, wiggled and squirmed out of his mother's arms.

At one point he climbed up on a coffee table and rifled through Sawyer's scripts.

When Sawyer handed him a model Space Shuttle to distract him, Garren rolled it off the table and onto the floor.

Kate Penland said she and Garren were booted from the flight last month by a flight attendant who suggested she use benadryl to calm her son down.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-13-2007, 05:12 PM
BTW, there's a photo slideshow of the GMA appearance at that link.

It's hi-larious.

Video, too.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13675836/detail.html#

bigzak25
07-13-2007, 05:13 PM
can he talk at 19 months? can he understand and listen to his mom at that age? i dunno?

but she should have given him benadryl for the interview.

ObiwanGinobili
07-13-2007, 05:20 PM
:lmao @ the GMA interview....
1st thing in the morning?? right after a good nights sleep and a nice filling breakfast?? oh yeah baby- that is prime 19month old play time! his body is charged and ready to play play play play!
God I wouldn't put $$ on my 3 yr old sitting still for that, and she talks and listens etc etc, some 19mo don;t.

ploto
07-13-2007, 06:19 PM
but she should have given him benadryl for the interview.
Do you realize that for some children benadryl actually has the opposite side effect than most people assume it does-- it can actually cause excitability, esp. in small children. It is even in the warnings on the bottle label.

SpursWoman
07-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Yeah....Benadryl is like liquid speed for both of my kids. Dimetapp was my drug of choice before they changed the formula.

Now they are old enough to understand "STFU or you're losing your computer for a month." :fro

duncan228
07-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Now they are old enough to understand "STFU or you're losing your computer for a month." :fro

The "computer taking away" is a parent's best punishment these days.
Works every time!

So does the Cell Phone taking away!

Flea
07-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Yeah....Benadryl is like liquid speed for both of my kids. Dimetapp was my drug of choice before they changed the formula.

Flea
07-13-2007, 08:02 PM
My god, this hasn't been posted yet?!?!?!

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13675836/detail.html

That poor lady!

Ronaldo McDonald
07-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Wherever there is a clown there is a happy baby

why not hire clown flight attendents who make faces and animal balloons?

angel_luv
07-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Wherever there is a clown there is a happy baby

why not hire clown flight attendents who make faces and animal balloons?

What about the people whom are afraid of clowns?

spurster
07-13-2007, 10:32 PM
After having my own crying kids on planes (typically on descent), I can easily deal with any crying kids on a plane.

I just keep saying the mantra: "It's not mine" "It's not mine" "It's not mine"

Summers
07-13-2007, 10:35 PM

I apologize. I was quick to be bitchy because it's a touchy subject for me. I get dirty looks from people at restaurants even when my kids are being good. Apparently, just the sound of a 4-year-old's voice--even at normal speaking level--is enough to rile up some people.

And what do you mean by "you people"? You mean like moms? White girls? What??

Just kidding. :)

marini martini
07-13-2007, 10:36 PM
A lttlel bit of vicodin in their cherry coke :toast Worked for me!!!!

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 10:37 PM
This story is gonna be on Entertainment Tonight right now.