PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Jarvis Hayes

jcrod
07-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Anybody know much about this guy. Hes tall and a swing.

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jarvis_hayes/index.html)

Apparently some health concerns.

Wizards giving up on forward....
The Wizards don't intend to offer a contract to restricted free agent Jarvis Hayes, a sign the team has given up on the oft-injured forward, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

http://www.nba.com/media/act_jarvis_hayes.jpg

Born: Aug 9, 1981
Height: 6-8 / 2,03
Weight: 228 lbs. / 103,4 kg.
College : Georgia
Years Pro: 3

jcrod
07-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Nobody?

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Wiz would be as happy to rid themselves of him as we are Beno Udrih.

MoSpur
07-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Never really heard anything of him.

jcrod
07-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Wiz would be as happy to rid themselves of him as we are Beno Udrih.

That good huh?

Gino2882
07-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Im a little surprised this guy hasn't gotten a bit of play. Hayes is a very athletic SF, but is a very streaky shooter.

jcrod
01-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Looks like he's doing good in Detroit. Wish the Spurs would've looked his way, would've been the long three we wanted and looks like he cares about defense. Signed cheap.

G GS MIN FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OFF DEF TOT STL BLK TO PF AST PTS
32 0 17.7 98-215 .456 30-71 .423 20-27 .741 0.5 2.2 2.7 .69 .13 .59 2.03 0.7 7.7

The Detroit Pistons, extending their win streak to 10 games with a 106-93 road win Wednesday over the Washington Wizards, are looking more and more like the team that won it all in 2004.

The balance is there offensively, but most importantly, they seem more recommitted to defense, taking pride in it again.

Pistons coach Flip Saunders seems to be one key believer in the defense, in his third season in Detroit. The first two years there, it seemed the majority of adjustments he made were offensive ones. Now I think their focus is to just go out there and shut people down defensively.

The second unit's improvement is helping make this possible. Jarvis Hayes and Jason Maxiell are two players in particular who are showing how they can affect the game without scoring. On defense, Hayes can cover a lot of 2s and 3s, while Maxiell's physical enough for 4s and 5s. And they can often affect a game with scoring too -- but it helps that in this win, Maxiell had 15 points and Hayes 12 in facing his old team.

Another new factor off the bench is rookie Rodney Stuckey. After returning from hand surgery, this was the 6-5 guard's seventh game with the team. He came off the bench for 22 minutes against the Wizards.

He's still a little rusty out there, but he's another one whose play doesn't make you fear the team defense will drop off when he's in there. He's going to show his explosiveness more and more. Fellow rookie guard Arron Afflalo plays good defense, too. Detroit's 89.3 points allowed per game is second only to Boston's 86.8. And the Pistons' scoring is up, while its defense is improving upon last year's 91.8 points allowed per game.

Let's look at how this might be affecting Chauncey Billups, who seemed worn down at the end of last season. He's right at 33.5 minutes per game, on pace for his lowest total in five seasons. That speaks volumes about what the bench has been giving the Pistons. In the win over Washington, only one starter went over 33 minutes (Richard Hamilton, 38). When you can get wins in this league with that kind of balanced effort, you are clearly doing something right.

Detroit's teams in recent years rarely had a second unit that was doing enough right. That's changing.

Saunders shortened his bench toward the end of last season -- and I think he held on a little tight to the reins. This season, I think his well-placed faith in the second unit can pay off in more than one way at the end of season: by keeping the first unit fresher and also developing the bench.

Overall, once again, another key factor is Rasheed Wallace. With Ben Wallace two seasons gone from Detroit, Sheed seems to have filled more fully the role as vocal and emotional leader of the team. The team feeds off his energy, but you always know that can be a distraction if he takes it too far. He can get them off course, so it remains important that he's buying into what the team is all about.

Right now, they seem all about getting back to being the East's top contender for the NBA title. The Pistons' story has been overshadowed by the rise of Boston. I expect the rematch of last month's two-point Detroit win in Boston to be a great one. As hot as Detroit has been, its 25-7 mark still puts it three games behind Boston (27-3) for the East's top record. Boston passed a good road test against the Lakers last week, but this one should be their toughest one to date.

Those two teams are clearly the class of the East, and I fully expect them to meet in the East finals.

In a seven-game series, I'd take Detroit.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2008, 01:25 PM
And how would he have gotten that time with Finley, Manu, Barry, Bruce, and Udoka in the mix?

ChumpDumper
01-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Didn't we just sign a long three?

Darkwaters
01-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Didn't we just sign a long three?

Agreed. I'll cast my lot with Dermarr Johnson for the moment at least.

JamStone
01-03-2008, 02:12 PM
And how would he have gotten that time with Finley, Manu, Barry, Bruce, and Udoka in the mix?

If you check the date of the first post, signing Hayes would have meant not signing Udoka. And, when Manu and Barry got injured, he would have gotten some playing time.

Hayes has been solid for the Pistons. Don't really think he's a legit 6-8. Looks closer to 6-6. But, he has a really nice jumper. And, he's very good as a back-up small forward. Not super athletic but good. Not a lock-down defender. But, he does a decent job on most small forwards.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2008, 02:18 PM
If you check the date of the first post, signing Hayes would have meant not signing Udoka. And, when Manu and Barry got injured, he would have gotten some playing time.
Yes but this person seemed to be really high on Jarvis. I'm assuming by the last post, he/she would've expected Hayes to get an amount of time similar to what he receives now with Detroit. And every Spurs fan knows all new players spend at least 1/2 of a season in the doghouse unless they fill a mandatory need. If we were to sign Hayes, yes he would've gotten playing time with Manu and Brent out, but would've been sent back near the end of the bench when they came back.

urunobili
01-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I don;t think he would have happily accepted limited or no playing time at all with us... good player, system kinda one... but i am not sure about his chemistry

JamStone
01-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Yes but this person seemed to be really high on Jarvis. I'm assuming by the last post, he/she would've expected Hayes to get an amount of time similar to what he receives now with Detroit. And every Spurs fan knows all new players spend at least 1/2 of a season in the doghouse unless they fill a mandatory need. If we were to sign Hayes, yes he would've gotten playing time with Manu and Brent out, but would've been sent back near the end of the bench when they came back.

Udoka started over 70 games last year. Hayes didn't even start in Washington. How do you know what Jarvis would have expected and how he would have dealt with it? He signed for basically the minimum with Detroit. I think he understood he had to earn his PT. I'm sure he would have approached it the same way had the Spurs pursued him. It wasn't like there were a lot of teams trying to get him to sign with him, hence signing for a one year minimum contract.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Udoka started over 70 games last year. Hayes didn't even start in Washington. How do you know what Jarvis would have expected and how he would have dealt with it?
What does that have to do with my point?
My point was that even if the Spurs signed Hayes, he wouldn't have seen much playing time because he doesn't fill a mandatory need, and he more than likely would've seen playing time now since Manu and Barry are injured; in a response to jcrod when he/she was saying that he/she had hoped the Spurs signed him because of his success he is currently having with Detroit. The way I viewed it, he/she saw Hayes getting the same amount of time in San Antonio he receives with the Pistons, which would be a very rare for a new Spur.

He signed for basically the minimum with Detroit. I think he understood he had to earn his PT. I'm sure he would have approached it the same way had the Spurs pursued him. It wasn't like there were a lot of teams trying to get him to sign with him, hence signing for a one year minimum contract.
I'm sure he would have. I'm not arguing this.

JamStone
01-03-2008, 03:03 PM
quoted the wrong post. meant to quote uruobili.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2008, 03:05 PM
:lol Alright, then.

jcrod
01-03-2008, 03:20 PM
What does that have to do with my point?
My point was that even if the Spurs signed Hayes, he wouldn't have seen much playing time because he doesn't fill a mandatory need, and he more than likely would've seen playing time now since Manu and Barry are injured; in a response to jcrod when he/she was saying that he/she had hoped the Spurs signed him because of his success he is currently having with Detroit. The way I viewed it, he/she saw Hayes getting the same amount of time in San Antonio he receives with the Pistons, which would be a very rare for a new Spur.

I'm sure he would have. I'm not arguing this.

:rolleyes
I was just throwing it out there. I know how the Spurs system works, i'm not a newbie.

When I first brought this up, he was said to be a bust. I think he knows his role and comes in and does it, that is what a Spurs reserve does. He's younger and taller than Udoka. Has decent numbers for only playing 17min, Detroit got a steal.

jcrod
01-03-2008, 03:22 PM

Hayes has been solid for the Pistons. Don't really think he's a legit 6-8. Looks closer to 6-6. But, he has a really nice jumper. And, he's very good as a back-up small forward. Not super athletic but good. Not a lock-down defender. But, he does a decent job on most small forwards.

Thank You, still have some people out there with common sense.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2008, 03:37 PM
:rolleyes
I was just throwing it out there. I know how the Spurs system works, i'm not a newbie.

When I first brought this up, he was said to be a bust. I think he knows his role and comes in and does it, that is what a Spurs reserve does. He's younger and taller than Udoka. Has decent numbers for only playing 17min, Detroit got a steal.
I understand that. But you have to admit that the way put typed it, it does seem like you thought he would get a decent amount of minutes. Although I would still pick Udoka over Hayes.

bdubya
01-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Hayes signed with Detroit looking to restart his career Mike James-style, and is doing all the right things so far. He'll be available next year, but probably take more money (and a bigger role) than the Spurs (or Pistons) would offer. All assuming he continues to deliver, of course.