PDA

View Full Version : The Official Trade Announcement

Kori Ellis
07-12-2007, 09:08 PM
SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have acquired guard Vassilis Spanoulis, a 2009 second round pick and other considerations from the Houston Rockets in exchange for center Jackie Butler and the draft rights to Luis Scola.

The 6-4, 195-lb Spanoulis appeared in 31 games for Houston during the 2006-07 season where he averaged 2.7 points and 0.9 assists in 8.8 minutes. The 24-year old was originally drafted in the second round (50th overall) by the Dallas Mavericks in 2004 NBA Draft. The Mavericks sent his draft rights to Houston in exchange for the draft rights to Luis Flores.

Butler appeared in 11 games for the Spurs in 2006-07 where he averaged 3.7 points and 2.0 rebounds in 9.4 minutes. He was originally signed by the Spurs on 7/21/06.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Too bad we couldn't have Luis Flores.

exstatic
07-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Weird. Greek boy is traded for both Luis Flores and Luis Scola.

SenorSpur
07-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Does this organization ever actually make a trade that improves the product on the floor?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 09:12 PM
other considerations

http://www.ionikh.gr/ico/VaselineJelly.jpg

Cant_Be_Faded
07-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Jesus Christ this is abomination----jackie butler is exactly what we needed to get some points when duncan was on the bench

omg
W
T
F

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Some here refused to believe the few who foretold.

clubalien
07-12-2007, 09:16 PM
a no body for butler and luis scola,,

oh yeah for a pick we cannot usre and other considerations=cash

thanks for going all out to save the franchise

the good thing is this means we will have our bigman ian playing in the nba dominating the league i hope.

Remeber when we went to all that effort to get a project like butler

and traded him for nothing

KEDA
07-12-2007, 09:17 PM
dumbest

fucking

move

ever!

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 09:17 PM

Who here foretold a disaster of crap?

AFBlue
07-12-2007, 09:18 PM

Don Newman....a.k.a. "Scooter" Libby to Pop's CIA

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 09:22 PM
I hope all the Spurs nutriders like Tpark remember the front office pissing away this off-season next year when the Spurs are golfing by the end of May.

carina_gino20
07-12-2007, 09:30 PM
wow. why did they trade for a guy who's staying in Europe?

clubalien
07-12-2007, 09:36 PM
btw remember when spursreport said scola was going to play for the spurs this season

dynasty in odd years only ;[

itzsoweezee
07-12-2007, 09:46 PM
i fucking hate the spurs. i love the players, but i hate the organization. not only do you get fucked on the trade, you trade to a rival in your own division and make them better. awesome thinking!

oh, and mahinmi is going to be shit. is there anything he's done to suggest otherwise? nope. fuck this shit.

inconvertible
07-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I thought having butler, eliminated the need for scola......I guess I was wrong.

inconvertible
07-12-2007, 10:17 PM
this organization only wants to win championships if it can make money. screw the fans, screw TD.

leemajors
07-12-2007, 10:28 PM
as darkwaters asked in another thread, is it confirmed the "other considerations" are cash?

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 10:29 PM
as darkwaters asked in another thread, is it confirmed the "other considerations" are cash?

Technically, they were the broomstick up the ass, but for propriety they'll be called cash considerations.

inconvertible
07-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Kori, please get a hold of and ask these punks the HARD questions. You have covered the spurs for a long time, don't be intimidated. This is a money saving manuever and the fans don't like it. Its time to take off the gloves.

remingtonbo2001
07-12-2007, 10:37 PM
You guys are acting ridiculous. But it's amusing......Being that it's Thursday and I got nothing to do...please continue to entertain me with your "I know what's best for this team, more so than an entire F.O." Incase you guys weren't aware, Peter just signs the checks. If you want take your anger out on someone, you might consider R.C. or POP. They make the majority of basketball decisions. I really doubt Peter pockets this $4 million dollars. REALLY, If you believe that Peter Holt's finacial stability rides on the Spurs, PLEASE go spend time SPOONING with Mark Cuban, discussing CONSPIRACY THEORIES.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 10:38 PM
You guys are acting ridiculous. But it's amusing......Being that it's Thursday and I got nothing to do...please continue to entertain me with your "I know what's best for this team, more so than an entire F.O." Incase you guys weren't aware, Peter just signs the checks. If you want take your anger out on someone, you might consider R.C. or POP. They make the majority of basketball decisions. I really doubt Peter pockets this $4 million dollars. REALLY, If you believe that Peter Holt's finacial stability rides on the Spurs, PLEASE go spend time SPOONING with Mark Cuban, discussing CONSPIRACY THEORIES.

Suddenly this trade looks a lot better.

HJNTX
07-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Let's see..Pop and the organization don't really make too many bad decisions .. They can take mediocre players (surrounding Tim Duncan), and win titles.. Other than best player in the league, Tim Duncan, Manu's one-two punches and Bowen's defense, the SPURS are not really made up of fantastic players... Not many orgranizations can take less than top-notch players and win nation titles ..

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Let's see..Pop and the organization don't really make too many bad decisions .. They can take mediocre players (surrounding Tim Duncan), and win titles.. Other than best player in the league, Tim Duncan, Manu's one-two punches and Bowen's defense, the SPURS are not really made up of fantastic players... Not many orgranizations can take less than top-notch players and win nation titles ..

Sometimes they make bad decisions and lose out on quality talent.

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 10:48 PM
SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have acquired guard Vassilis Spanoulis, a 2009 second round pick and other considerations from the Houston Rockets in exchange for center Jackie Butler and the draft rights to Luis Scola.

The 6-4, 195-lb Spanoulis appeared in 31 games for Houston during the 2006-07 season where he averaged 2.7 points and 0.9 assists in 8.8 minutes. The 24-year old was originally drafted in the second round (50th overall) by the Dallas Mavericks in 2004 NBA Draft. The Mavericks sent his draft rights to Houston in exchange for the draft rights to Luis Flores.

Butler appeared in 11 games for the Spurs in 2006-07 where he averaged 3.7 points and 2.0 rebounds in 9.4 minutes. He was originally signed by the Spurs on 7/21/06.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spanoulis_070712.html

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 10:49 PM

It's not about Holt's financial stability. It's about more money for quality moonshine.

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 10:51 PM
The thing is, we barely beat PHX.

WE needed to add not substract this coming year.

Imagine if we DID face Dallas instead of utah?

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 10:54 PM
btw remember when spursreport said scola was going to play for the spurs this season

dynasty in odd years only ;[

SPURSREPORT is a joke.

jag
07-12-2007, 10:55 PM
It's not about Holt's financial stability. It's about more money for quality moonshine.

lol quality moonshine

Marcus Bryant
Official announcement?

San Antonio (DP) - The Spurs gifted the Rockets Luis Scola and Jackie Butler today...

jag
The thing is, we barely beat PHX.

WE needed to add not substract this coming year.

Imagine if we DID face Dallas instead of utah?

subtract = losing jackie butler and Scola (who's never played a minute)??

itzsoweezee
07-12-2007, 10:58 PM

subtract = the geezer robert horry, another year older, is the first big off the bench.

ploto
07-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Amen.

Pistol...2K4
07-12-2007, 11:01 PM

Didn't Scola say he would NEVER play for the Spurs a few years ago?? I liked Butler too , but it ain't like he logged alot of minutes last season.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Didn't Scola say he would NEVER play for the Spurs a few years ago?? I liked Butler too , but it ain't like he logged alot of minutes last season.

The Spurs spin on it will be that they got a 2nd round pick for two guys who didn't help them win a championship. :jack

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Spurs Trade For Spanoulis and Cash

AP-
The Spurs have traded center Jackie Butler and forward Luis Scola to the Houston Rockets for Vassilis Spanoulis and a 2009 2nd round pick. Reportedly, R.C Buford, the Spurs General Manager, made this trade after he needed the money since he lost his "Free McDonalds For a Year" Coupon.

zocool16
07-12-2007, 11:08 PM
maybe they need the money for timmy's extension?... wow but I'm shocked too guys...

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 11:09 PM
well butler is future, but i still dont mind losing butler , if we got something back that was good.

I mean, he raised his stock in vegas and now we send him for a happy meal.

Scola is worth more than Spinolich whatever his name is.

Couldnt Manu step in and talk some sense to Scola like david did with timmy?

Cherry
07-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Jackie and Luis (Euro Mvp) traded? NICE MOVE :bang :bang :bang :bang :depressed

Clutch20
07-12-2007, 11:18 PM
dam.......10 more pounds off, some decent assists and a couple of more dunks, Jackie would have been wearing black and silver this year...........

BillsCarnage
07-12-2007, 11:22 PM
maybe they need the money for timmy's extension?... wow but I'm shocked too guys...

my thought exactly.

Or they're clearing some cap room for a trade in the works?

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Or they're clearing some cap room for a trade in the works?

As has been pointed out, this trade brings the Spurs to just barely over the luxury tax. They won't be looking to add much more salary.

I can see them coupling Barry with a future first to reduce the tax burden further.

BillsCarnage
07-12-2007, 11:27 PM
As has been pointed out, this trade brings the Spurs to just barely over the luxury tax. They won't be looking to add much more salary.

I can see them coupling Barry with a future first to reduce the tax burden further.

How so? I thought they were at about $61mil now. That's approx $7mil under the LT.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 11:29 PM
How so? I thought they were at about $61mil now. That's approx $7mil under the LT.

Nope. They've pushed past the tax now.

Clutch20
07-12-2007, 11:30 PM
It's not that we barely beat Phee-knicks this year, it's that there were too many distractions and hype around the Stoudamire/Nash/Marion triangle. Others chose to stand back and look upon that series as the legitimate perennial contender putting to rest a controversial confrontation (with resounding success).

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:32 PM

One thing to consider is that if they are able to get out of Spanolissus' contract without paying him then they will have shed Butler's salary plus netted the cash in the deal, which could ease whatever concerns there may be about the lux tax.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 11:34 PM
One thing to consider is that if they are able to get out of Spanolissus' contract without paying him then they will have shed Butler's salary plus netted the cash in the deal, which could ease whatever concerns there may be about the lux tax.

According to the new article, Houston includes cash in the deal only to offset whatever it takes to buyout Spannoulis from his contract. Therefore, if Spannoulis leaves it all on the table, Houston pays nothing.

So the only thing that has happened is Butler's contract has been struck out completely and a 2009 second has come into the fold. Essentially it is Jackie Butler for nothing and Scola for a future late second pick.

BillsCarnage
07-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Nope. They've pushed past the tax now.

Did i miss a $5mil signing somewhere?

According to hoopshype - http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm - they're at $61mil, add Spanoulis at $1.9mil and the Spurs are at $63mil. Splitter won't cost them anything this year. Even adding some mini contracts to fill the bench i doubt they'll reach the tax threshold.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:37 PM
According to the new article, Houston includes cash in the deal only to offset whatever it takes to buyout Spannoulis from his contract. Therefore, if Spannoulis leaves it all on the table, Houston pays nothing.

So the only thing that has happened is Butler's contract has been struck out completely and a 2009 second has come into the fold. Essentially it is Jackie Butler for nothing and Scola for a future late second pick.

If the Spurs have to pay all or part of Spanoulis' salary, it will be offset by the cash the Rockets included in the deal.

They got the cash and if they have to pay Spanoulis then it's offset by that. So if they don't have to pay him they pocket it all.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
They got the cash and if they have to pay Spanoulis then it's offset by that. So if they don't have to pay him they pocket it all.

It's a tough read. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm reading it that Houston's cash will only be included if Spannoulis has money coming to him (and it will equal that amount).

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Did i miss a $5mil signing somewhere?

Yes. I don't think they have Oberto, Bonner, and Vaughn.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:43 PM
It's a tough read. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm reading it that Houston's cash will only be included if Spannoulis has money coming to him (and it will equal that amount).

Nah, I don't think they can adjust the amount of cash in the deal after it is made.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Nah, I don't think they can adjust the amount of cash in the deal after it is made.

You can provide the adjustment within the deal: Whatever amount it takes to release Spanoulis from his contract will be provided by the Houston Rockets, including $0.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:58 PM
You can provide the adjustment within the deal: Whatever amount it takes to release Spanoulis from his contract will be provided by the Houston Rockets, including $0.

The CBA doesn't allow for that. Whatever cash is agreed upon at close is the amount sent out.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2007, 12:04 AM

It doesn't work like that. They pay up front.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 12:05 AM
K

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 12:11 AM
It doesn't work like that. They pay up front.

Right, because as it stands today the Spurs owe Snuffalufagus $1.9 mil next season. How much it will cost the team to make him go away is unknown. Given that Ludden stated

If the Spurs have to pay all or part of Spanoulis' salary, it will be offset by the cash the Rockets included in the deal.

one would be led to believe that whatever cash the Spurs received in the deal, it is equal to or more than what Shuffalufagus' salary in 2007-08.

caŽlo
07-13-2007, 12:50 AM
after all the hype with scola a couple of years ago till this year..

only to see him traded to a freaking Spanoulis and a freaking pick (not even a 1st rounder!) who doesnt even wanna return to the nba..

not to mention they traded them to our division rival..

and add the fact that they added butler too as icing..

all i can say is.. wow.. just wow.

i just hope this isnt the end of it.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 12:55 AM
i just hope this isnt the end of it.

It's the end of it. Just as soon as Holt finishes counting to $6 million.

coachmac87
07-13-2007, 01:07 AM
i think this was a great trade for the spurs. obviously they couldnt get much for scola anywhere and butler just isnt cut out to play on this team anytime soon. it gives the spurs for flexibility to do something this offseason, to all the whiners about the spurs need to make a move. this trade makes it more possible for it to actually happen. i believe spurs will pick up somebody that will contribute, or bring over ian..either way i like it

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 01:09 AM
i think this was a great trade for the spurs. obviously they couldnt get much for scola anywhere and butler just isnt cut out to play on this team anytime soon. it gives the spurs for flexibility to do something this offseason, to all the whiners about the spurs need to make a move. this trade makes it more possible for it to actually happen. i believe spurs will pick up somebody that will contribute, or bring over ian..either way i like it

What happens when they do nothing and it turns out they gave up quality bigs with low post scoring ability (who on the roster other than TD can score in the post?) for $6 mil in savings?

J.T.
07-13-2007, 01:21 AM
2007-08 will be cool if Tim Duncan gets his 3rd MVP, we wax Houston in the first round (with Butler and Scola playing horribly for them), Phoenix in the semis, Dallas in the WCFs, and who gives a fuck from the East in the Finals with TD getting MVP #4, breaking the even year curse and shutting up the "it's not a dynasty if you don't repeat" bashers.

I think I'll trip on some 'Tussin, look at my Spurs posters and try to imagine that happening.

Streakyshooter08
07-13-2007, 02:35 AM
***Official announcement***

I am pissed. :pctoss